How high do you think Dragon Ball merchandise sales will be after the current arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

How high do you think Dragon Ball merchandise sales will be after the current arc?

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Just a fun little idea I had, how big do you think this number will be after the current arc?

2015 it was a 19.4

2016 it was a 34.9

2017 currently is 45.0

2017 full year will be around a 55.0 is my bet

Sodhi
I Live Here

Re: How high do you think Dragon Ball merchandise sales will be after the current arc?

Post by Sodhi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:03 pm

2017 currently is only 19.8 so far, 45.0 is just a full year forecast :). Anyways, my prediction for this year is 50.0

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Re: How high do you think Dragon Ball merchandise sales will be after the current arc?

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Sodhi wrote:2017 currently is only 19.8 so far, 45.0 is just a full year forecast :). Anyways, my prediction for this year is 50.0
Oh thank you, I thought I was somehow reading the numbers in the picture wrong anyways.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Man, they have huge expectations for Dragon Ball. But given how the Super has already been distributed internationally, and on TV stations across the world, as well as several legal streaming sites, with even a toy-line coming to the US in summer of this year, it's to be expected.

The expect Super to make a lot of dosh and why wouldn't they? :)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:27 pm

It's amazing to see DB surpass One Piece. If these numbers keep going up then they'll at least reach their 45 guess. I can see it reaching 50+.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:44 pm

It's actually 39.6 right now, they also upped their forecast to 50. For the full 2017 year, I'm expecting to see somewhere around the 50s.

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/re ... ry_id=5153

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Dragon Ball surpassed One Piece because of International Sales. I'm not saying this to put down Dragon Ball, but rather praise it for being such an universal and popular property.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Dragon Ball surpassed One Piece because of International Sales. I'm not saying this to put down Dragon Ball, but rather praise it for being such an universal and popular property.
yeah. everyone here knows one piece is king in Japan.

and imo, it deserves it. it'd be my favorite anime/ manga of all time if it ended sooner.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:07 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:It's actually 39.6 right now, they also upped their forecast to 50. For the full 2017 year, I'm expecting to see somewhere around the 50s.

Holy shit. Super is going to be around for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time. It's making too much money.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:16 pm

It's safe to say Super will last at least around 150-200 episodes.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:56 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:It's actually 39.6 right now, they also upped their forecast to 50. For the full 2017 year, I'm expecting to see somewhere around the 50s.

Holy shit. Super is going to be around for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time. It's making too much money.
America is even yet to roll out their merch (this summer!) things will only get higher!!

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Dragon ball is the GOAT of anime for a reason.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:48 pm

sintzu wrote:It's amazing to see DB surpass One Piece. If these numbers keep going up then they'll at least reach their 45 guess. I can see it reaching 50+.
One Piece doesn't even compare to Dragon Ball outside Japan really, Dragon Ball is lightyears ahead. Naruto too is much, much popular than One Piece outside Japan
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:One Piece doesn't even compare to Dragon Ball outside Japan really, Dragon Ball is lightyears ahead. Naruto too is much, much popular than One Piece outside Japan.
I'm surprised that's still the case. Its popularity in the US is so small that it couldn't even last on Toonami. I thought by now Funi's dub would've made up for the mess 4Kids made back in the day.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:50 pm

I think big parts of why One Piece didn't catch on are:
-some people don't like Oda's art style
-it has a slow start and doesn't really get going until Arlong (Eight(?) manga volumes in.)

I'm enjoying the current One Piece arc (Whole Cake Island) though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:33 am

I know its a cliche but the 4kids dub had LOADS to do. Funimation cant and will never fix One Piece's problem in that it didnt hit it with actual kids. Naruto is a childhood favorite and people grew up with the awesome Viz Media dub. One Piece never had that. That's why me and people like Mecha 3000 are so keen on Super airing on a kids network.

One Piece will probably never hit it big in America and that's really heartbreaking. And with America I dont just mean the USA, I mean Latin America and Brasil as well.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed May 03, 2017 5:17 pm

sintzu wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:One Piece doesn't even compare to Dragon Ball outside Japan really, Dragon Ball is lightyears ahead. Naruto too is much, much popular than One Piece outside Japan.
I'm surprised that's still the case. Its popularity in the US is so small that it couldn't even last on Toonami. I thought by now Funi's dub would've made up for the mess 4Kids made back in the day.
One Piece is one worst case of bad marketing and management. They made all the wrong decisions and turned away foreign fans. But yeah, even now One Piece is nowhere near Naruto, let alone DB. It goes Dragon Ball >>> Naruto >>>>>>>>> One Piece. Naruto absolutely stomps One Piece manga sales in US. One Piece is very much niche outside Japan

https://animetics.net/us-manga-print-sales-statistics/

Granted, manga sales are not the best indicator for popularity but you get the gist.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed May 10, 2017 4:05 pm

New numbers are out
Way higher than estimates in 2017 for Groupwide. Now onto 2018.
Also, Feel free to update ChaosLordBrandon.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed May 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Sodhi wrote:New numbers are out
Way higher than estimates in 2017 for Groupwide. Now onto 2018.
Also, Feel free to update ChaosLordBrandon.
Holy shit, God Damn! 61 billion yen! The new fiscal year just started and it's already made 18 billion yen. Wish the quality of writing reflected the merchandise sales.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed May 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Christ... At this rate of expansion and with all the new stuff coming out and new regions getting into the mix, Dragon Ball might become the top seller. I don't think anyone expected Super to hit it this big.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW