Least favourite character introduced in Dragon Ball Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kishido
Banned

Re: Least favourite character introduced in Dragon Ball Super

Post by Kishido » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Super Ikari Trunks

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:36 pm

Monaka. The joke fell flat with me.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:38 pm

The gr wrote:It has to be botamo,his figth was awful in the anime,the Manga made him cool but the Anime made him dull and lame, and maybe maggetta,he has a cool design and power but he lacks personality and lastly,is monaka,hos joke is not funny
I agree with you on everything you said.As I stated earlier,Botamo,Magetta (I'm not even gonna mention Monaka....wait I just mentioned him :wtf:) were there just to fill up some space.Take them out and everything's the same.Goku,Vegeta & Piccolo fighting Frost,Cabba & Hit actually progressed the events of the tournament.

Also,video games are not going to include characters like them,as proven by XV2.Bandai passed the chance to include them in a DLC pack,but they did include fighters like Cabba or Frost because they are pretty important in their debut arcs.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:39 pm

MyNiggaGoku wrote:
King-K9 wrote:
MyNiggaGoku wrote: Hmm,care to elaborate on that one?
We have no Idea what his motivations were in the Champa arc. All we know is that he wanted that cube, but we're never told why. Also, what personality traits has he ever shown?
He's a bland character, and the only redeeming qualities he has are his design and abilities. He basically feels like a 12 year old's OC.
I can see your points.

However,I think Hit's character is portrayed in that way because he would get some development from his interaction with Goku.Hit from the very start was very stoic and collected,a man who gets straight to the point without showing any kind of remorse or satisfaction(as proven from his fight with Vegeta).Enter Goku.

His fight(s) with Goku,made him feel some admiration and appreciation for someone else,something he totally didn't expect.I almost feel like Hit is a replacement for Tenshinhan and his rivarly with Goku in early DB.

This new arc is sure to give some more development to Hit,along with other U6 fighters such as Cabba or Frost.
Well considering that its going to be a battle royale of over 100 characters, I dont think ANYONE is gonna have time for development, or even the tiniest bit characterization.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:40 pm

MyNiggaGoku wrote:
The gr wrote:It has to be botamo,his figth was awful in the anime,the Manga made him cool but the Anime made him dull and lame, and maybe maggetta,he has a cool design and power but he lacks personality and lastly,is monaka,hos joke is not funny
I agree with you on everything you said.As I stated earlier,Botamo,Magetta (I'm not even gonna mention Monaka....wait I just mentioned him :wtf:) were there just to fill up some space.Take them out and everything's the same.Goku,Vegeta & Piccolo fighting Frost,Cabba & Hit actually progressed the events of the tournament.

Also,video games are not going to include characters like them,as proven by XV2.Bandai passed the chance to include them in a DLC pack,but they did include fighters like Cabba or Frost because they are pretty important in their debut arcs.
Agreed, botamo and Maggie lack personality, and it would be odd if they include them in xenoverse :lol:
Mostly active on discord.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:43 pm

King-K9 wrote:
MyNiggaGoku wrote:
King-K9 wrote: We have no Idea what his motivations were in the Champa arc. All we know is that he wanted that cube, but we're never told why. Also, what personality traits has he ever shown?
He's a bland character, and the only redeeming qualities he has are his design and abilities. He basically feels like a 12 year old's OC.
I can see your points.

However,I think Hit's character is portrayed in that way because he would get some development from his interaction with Goku.Hit from the very start was very stoic and collected,a man who gets straight to the point without showing any kind of remorse or satisfaction(as proven from his fight with Vegeta).Enter Goku.

His fight(s) with Goku,made him feel some admiration and appreciation for someone else,something he totally didn't expect.I almost feel like Hit is a replacement for Tenshinhan and his rivarly with Goku in early DB.

This new arc is sure to give some more development to Hit,along with other U6 fighters such as Cabba or Frost.
Well considering that its going to be a battle royale of over 100 characters, I dont think ANYONE is gonna have time for development, or even the tiniest bit characterization.
I am hoping that the fighting will involve some development for the actual characters,not just the plot.We'll have to wait some looooong 40 hours to see what'll happen :problem:
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:46 pm

MyNiggaGoku wrote:
King-K9 wrote:
MyNiggaGoku wrote: I can see your points.

I am hoping that the fighting will involve some development for the actual characters,not just the plot.We'll have to wait some looooong 40 hours to see what'll happen :problem:
I'd like that to, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:56 pm

I was gonna say Monaka, but he's just a gag character, so yeah I'll say Frost. There's no reason to do another bad knock-off Freeza character. He seems to merely exist because Freeza is dead again and they can't keep bringing him back to life. Botama isn't great either, but eh, who cares.

Surprised people are saying Zeno, I mean...that's the whole point of his character. :lol:

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:10 am

Vados for teasing Shampa so much. I don't like how she teases him, she's so mean to him.

Jaco, because he doesn't do anything and is there just to say he's an elite member of the galactic patrol. :thumbdown:
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:16 am

King-K9 wrote:He's a bland character, and the only redeeming qualities he has are his design and abilities. He basically feels like a 12 year old's OC.
I think Hit falls dangerously close to feeling like that, but is saved by the small bit (just enough!) of characterization he does get. In both the anime and manga, rather than either being unflappably serious or moved into complete friendship by his bout with Goku, he maintains an air of constant, light amusement. Combined with his occupation and abilities, I think that makes him a fun character in small doses.

I don't particularly dislike any of the new characters introduced in Super. Most of the ones I find uninteresting are incidental characters to begin with. I think the only one who's been granted something of a spotlight that I find truly uninteresting is Cabba. Even then, while he doesn't offer much on his own, the beats he provides Vegeta are appreciated.

Frost's section in the anime may run a little long. I much prefer his role in the manga, where he's simply an asshole who provides a bit of early tension in the tournament.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:58 am

Hit basically feels like Pikkon did to me, with a little Piccolo from the end of Dragonball and maybe even Dragonball era Tenshinhan.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:51 pm

All of Universe 6's fighters fall flat to me in one way or another. There's a reason I disliked their tournament arc.

-Botamo and Magetta are interesting purely because of their special abilities, but personality wise outside Magetta's emotionally weak quirk there's nothing going on. Still think they're the least objectionable of U6 though even with Botamo's pretty lame showing seeing as they at least added some unique abilities and designs to a show that desperately needed variety.

-Hit's most interesting aspect is his powers and abilities. His design is nothing overly unique and his personality is yet another 'serious rival' character for Goku to overcome. He's okay, but I've never been enamoured by him.

-Cabba is horrific. A lot of people seem to give him a pass, but I can't work out what makes him so special. Another saiyan. Another super Saiyan. Uub/Gohan personality type. Stock fighting style with maybe one unique physical attack if that. Literally nothing we've not seen before and he even looks like a Xenoverse OC. He's just another Gohan really but without the years of following the character.

-Frost is somehow worse than even Cabba whilst also being pretty stock fighting style wise and looking like a Xenoverse OC. Could have easily saved him from the redundant scrap pile by NOT making him villainous but chose instead to make him Frieza v2 right after Frieza got an entire arc to himself.

Outside U6's team, Monaka just feels pointless. Like the character's entire reason to exist within the story seems pointless. Motivation for Goku? You have Hit. You have Beerus himself. You have Whis. You now have many universes full of powerful fighters, and Monaka being the fake most powerful martial arts master is a storyline Mr. Satan already did infinitely better previously, whilst feeling like a more well rounded character with room to develop. Shame really.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:37 pm

worst character easily monaka, he is like a more lucky Chiaozu.

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:38 pm

Characters I don't like:
-Shisami: he is just kind of there, not doing anything. Don't like the design either.
-Botamo: cool ability, everything else I don't like. It doesn't help that the (half) episode he was featured was pretty bad.
-Jaco, the Galactic king and all galactic patrol stuff: I don't necessarily dislike all of them, I just don't like them in Dragon Ball all that much.
The rest are ok to very good characters IMO.
Totamo wrote:worst character easily monaka, he is like a more lucky Chiaozu.
What? I don't understand the comparison

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:09 am

emi_b7 wrote:Characters I don't like:
-Shisami: he is just kind of there, not doing anything. Don't like the design either.
-Botamo: cool ability, everything else I don't like. It doesn't help that the (half) episode he was featured was pretty bad.
-Jaco, the Galactic king and all galactic patrol stuff: I don't necessarily dislike all of them, I just don't like them in Dragon Ball all that much.
The rest are ok to very good characters IMO.
Totamo wrote:worst character easily monaka, he is like a more lucky Chiaozu.
What? I don't understand the comparison
chiaozu was a pretty useless character as is monaka.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:44 am

Monaka was pointless and shouldn't exist.

Frost infuriated me in all the wrong ways.

Tagoma was great but they wasted him completely.

That all knowing guy kinda annoys me and I'm not even sure why... XD

Overall though: Monaka. Fuck him. He's the worst thing since unsliced bread. :P

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:06 am

Anime Frost and the Justice Rangers or whatever they are of Universe 11. I'm sick of the posing fighters
Manga Future Mai is very boring compared to her anime self. I don't hate her, but there's nothing really great about her either.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:23 am

Manga: Black, Hit because they look so generic.

Anime: That fat alien from episode 87, did we even know his name?, Monaka,Gryll.

I dont understand how Anime Hit looks like Pikkon, he looks more like Jotaro with the seriousness and fighting abilities.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:01 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
I also dislike Toppo currently for basic reasons. It was obvious Goku isn't a -bad- guy and he rejected the handshake. Screw Toppo.
A lot of fans (including me) still consider Goku a bad guy in this situation, so why would Toppo, someone who's never met Goku before he doomed the multiverse, accept a god damn handshake from him?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:58 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
I also dislike Toppo currently for basic reasons. It was obvious Goku isn't a -bad- guy and he rejected the handshake. Screw Toppo.
A lot of fans (including me) still consider Goku a bad guy in this situation, so why would Toppo, someone who's never met Goku before he doomed the multiverse, accept a god damn handshake from him?
I think it's ridiculous to consider Goku the bad guy. Eventually, at some point, Zeno was going to just arbitrarily eliminate universes. Secondly Goku didnt didn't ask for this rule about destruction and shouldn't be blamed for Zeno being insane.

Its like I say lets hold a video game competition and someone with Authority says "Okay...and I stab all the losers in the face" it wouldn't be my fault.

In fact to make it his fault we would have to resort to an infinite regression of circumstances. We could say its Beerus and Champas fault for holding the first tournament and planting the idea in that case and that sounds just as odd.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"