Why so much hatred over the manga Zamasu?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why so much hatred over the manga Zamasu?

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:01 am

Basako wrote:I don't have any issue with the manga Zamasu, Black or their fusion, in fact, I prefer them to the anime. Just want to point out the picture you show in the spoiler tag, where we can see Zamasu's face when he kills the babarian. That's his first kill, his expression is total enjoyment and satisfaction, prelude of what is going to come. He nailed it, Toyotaro is good.
Yes, this is the same face that Zamasu does in the anime.
Showing that he has always been a sociopath, with a sick mind and a giant hatred for humans. After that he talks to Gowasu about the same things as anime, justice, god work, and stuff.

In fact he had less exploration, but his ideals became very clear and he demonstrated, as I said above, how Zamasu was a madman

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:52 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Yes, this is the same face that Zamasu does in the anime.
I wouldn't say these faces are the same
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Kanassa wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Yes, this is the same face that Zamasu does in the anime.
I wouldn't say these faces are the same
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Well, the murderous, manic, and unhealthy intent is the same, and you can see it through Zamasu's face of manga and anime.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Just to echo on to what others have wrote, one of the main problems I have is Toyo not understanding that having the villains constantly beat up and them only surviving by coincidences does not make them nor the story interesting. Black for an entire chapter gets beat up by Vegeta and only survives cuz buddy Zamasu arrives in the nick of time meaning hadn't he Black would have kicked the bucket, compare this to the anime counterpart: Vegeta beats on Black but Black stays cool throughout dusted himself off and goes Rosé and utterly decimates Vegeta and then Zamasu comes down and is like no give me the kill, that is how you do a villain there is tension from Vegeta being commissioned out and all of a sudden it makes the threat even higher than it already was, whereas the Manga just ends the chapter with Vegeta already beat on Black, no tension no nothing.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Just to echo on to what others have wrote, one of the main problems I have is Toyo not understanding that having the villains constantly beat up and them only surviving by coincidences does not make them nor the story interesting. Black for an entire chapter gets beat up by Vegeta and only survives cuz buddy Zamasu arrives in the nick of time meaning hadn't he Black would have kicked the bucket, compare this to the anime counterpart: Vegeta beats on Black but Black stays cool throughout dusted himself off and goes Rosé and utterly decimates Vegeta and then Zamasu comes down and is like no give me the kill, that is how you do a villain there is tension from Vegeta being commissioned out and all of a sudden it makes the threat even higher than it already was, whereas the Manga just ends the chapter with Vegeta already beat on Black, no tension no nothing.
You are comparing totally different situations.
Nobody gets used to a body so quickly. Black was constantly mobbed by Zamasu and received Zenkais, but could only become SSJ. It was a slow process, which Toyotaro showed (or at least explained) instead of appearing as if he already knew the Body and use it without problems.
In that part that you quoted from the anime, Black already had SSJ Rosé, and already had received several Zenkais. Not to mention that Toei always gave magical power ups for him

The journey of Goku and Vegeta to the future was very convenient for Black. He was beaten by Saiyajin (because he had not become fully accustomed to the new body) and was left with serious damage, being healed by Zamasu helped a lot.

In the next chapter he in the form of Super Saiyajin received a Zenkai so great that he was able to face Vegeta SSB. Upon transforming into SSJ Rosé he defeated Vegeta easily with few strokes, I did not understand why you spoke as if Black had not returned the beating that Vegeta hit him. He got a lot stronger.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:24 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Well, for me, Zamasu/Goku Black just feels a bit too undercooked.

Goku battling Zamasu in the anime was huge a part of Zamasu descent into darkness and a very important aspect within the plot itself. After meeting Goku however and losing to him quickly in a sparring match, his views radically changed and his distrustful nature towards mortals only grew. Annoyed at Goku's carefree attitude and lack of respect, his distaste for the gods not quelling the dangerous nature of mortals evolved to a radicalism-level. Shocked at how a mortal like Goku could gain a power rivalling gods, let alone even obtaining such power, and so recklessly challenge a God and defeat him easily, Zamasu came to sternly believe that mortal life by nature is an evil. It's that meeting with Goku that also serves as the core purpose for why he steal Goku's body in the first place.

The anime makes the scenario with Zamasu's distrusts and resentment of mortals, and later Goku specifically, more logical and layered because he actually meets and fights Goku, and personally comes to the conclusion, following how Goku able defeat him with just a fraction of his strength, that mortals having that kind of power, let alone the power to challenge Gods, is a potentially great danger to the universe and a grave mistake of the Gods to let it happen in the first place. Hell, Merged Zamasu even further states to Vegetto that he chose Goku's body specifically because, in Zamasu, eye, Goku is the representation of all of the failures of the Gods, as Goku had obtained power surpassing the Gods, despite being mortal. Take all of that development out and Goku Black loses all of his unique symbolism and representation.

The manga just glosses over that aspect by having Zamasu's only knowledge of Goku be watching him through Godtube clips. He sees a few clips on Godtube of Goku fighting in the Universe 6/7 tournament is all like "Yeah. Fuck this guy." Seriously? I don't like that lack of motivation as why he would choose Goku's body to switch with and become Goku Black. There's literally no point to the concept of Goku Black even existing in the manga. Zamasu could have switched bodies with anyone in the manga with how more ambiguous and shallow they make his motivation towards hating mortals. For all intents and purposes, he could have swapped bodies with Hit or Vegeta.

The characterisation of Goku Black is even worse. Goku Black is portrayed as less of a menace and has more instances of grasping the idiot ball. His method of getting stronger, was needlessly convoluted and just outright dumb, when you realise the abilities he has at his disposal. I mean, if Goku Black knew how Zenkai's work, why didn't he just have Future Zamasu blast some holes in him and then heal again, to efficiently farm those cheap power-ups? If Goku Black knows that he can transform into Super Saiyan Rose, then why doesn't he have Zamasu beat him up and Zenkai his way into the form? This makes Black seem incredibly stupid, especially considering that Zamasu can heal him. So he could have done this a long time ago with Zamasu and it would much more safer and efficient. But he didn't. He decided to be a reckless idiot and hope that Vegeta doesn't kill him very quickly or that Zamasu miraculously arrived to save his ass before it was too late. Not mention he is far more prone to losing his composure in the manga, while the anime version of Goku Black always remained calm, cool and extremely pragmatic.

The manga basically made him a generic one dimensional villain, like something you would see in a Toei movie. While the anime actually tries to flesh out his motivations and character.
Did you not read the pages I put in? Zamasu went to the planet Babari and saw everything the inhabitants of that planet did. He acted in the same way as the Zamasu of the anime.
After that, he and Gowasu have a long talk and Zamasu talks about that same subject of justice, and of humans, it's the same thing as anime too.
After that, he still sees Goku in the Kamitube, who in addition to possessing the divine Ki, manages to approach the power of a Hakaishin. This for him is inadmissible, and works in the same form as the anime (as I said, the animation works better Some points, but we could say that in comparison to the TV series, Zamasu motives were plausible considered what I said above). And who was at an advantage in the fight was Goku, not Hit.

And I think you did not really read the manga.
In chapter 20, Black himself says that he could not use all the power of Goku's body, but he figured out how to do it, and it was using the Saiyajins characteristic, Zenkai.
After this, Shin explains that Black made Zamasu leave him constantly on the verge of death, to make his mind connect more and more to his body. As Zamasu has healing powers, just like Kibito, he cured Black. But you think Is it easy to release all the power of someone's body so easily? It takes time, and the beating he took to Vegeta accelerated this process.

What is the meaning of a Zenkai who does not have to stand on the verge of death or even recover? This is not a Zenkai, it is a totally unexplained feature for Black to increase his powers in the anime and that the manga has fixed, since that ability has never been Explained.
Black was calm because all the time he got some Power Up. No matter what the reason, he got stronger and ready.

If so, why did not Black make Zamasu beat him until he increased his power, without needing healing or anything? He does not get stronger with that? It does not make sense in the same way.

Zamasu's plan in the manga is more expansive. He wanted to destroy humans from all time lines, not just Trunks'

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I really did not understand
I'm not discrediting what happened on Planet Babari, his talk with Gowasu or what he saw on Godtube. What I don't like is how basic and shallow Zamasu's reason is for choosing Goku's body specifically. If he was watching clips from the Universe 6 and 7 tournament, then surely he would have know that Vegeta uses God ki too, and is very strong his own right. Kaioshin even mentions that it wasn't just Son Goku who helped in prevent him from being defeated at the hands of Babidi. Why would he specifically search for Goku? The anime sorts out this by having Goku actually interact with Goku, on top of watching him on Godtube. He has firsthand experience that a mortal would have the power to surpass a God. It make his choice to swap with bodies with Goku more plausible and natural within the narrative, rather than just a plot-point that needs happen.

Kaioshin just presumes that Goku Black had Zamasu have him recover from near death constantly and abuse zenkai's. But prior to that, Goku Black strongly implies that he had been keeping Future Trunks alive so that he could fight him and get stronger from it. Now if Goku Black knew he could get stronger and gain a best grasp of Goku's body from fighting people, why couldn't he have fought with Zamasu? Especially considering Zamasu is a fighting prodigy and Kaioshin even further went to state that Zamasu had greater skills and abilities than any of the Supreme Kais from each universe? Future Trunks states in the anime that Goku Black in his Base form is at least equal if not somewhat stronger than Super Saiyan 3 Goku. So Goku Black is established as very strong from the get-go. Goku Black in the anime even states that the more Goku Black fought, the more he learned of about Goku's abilities and power and how to make it his own. And as Zamasu is fighting prodigy, he was able to grow more accustomed to Goku's body, it's unique traits, such as growing stronger the more you battle, and it's transformations, at a much quicker rate.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Well, for me, Zamasu/Goku Black just feels a bit too undercooked.

Goku battling Zamasu in the anime was huge a part of Zamasu descent into darkness and a very important aspect within the plot itself. After meeting Goku however and losing to him quickly in a sparring match, his views radically changed and his distrustful nature towards mortals only grew. Annoyed at Goku's carefree attitude and lack of respect, his distaste for the gods not quelling the dangerous nature of mortals evolved to a radicalism-level. Shocked at how a mortal like Goku could gain a power rivalling gods, let alone even obtaining such power, and so recklessly challenge a God and defeat him easily, Zamasu came to sternly believe that mortal life by nature is an evil. It's that meeting with Goku that also serves as the core purpose for why he steal Goku's body in the first place.

The anime makes the scenario with Zamasu's distrusts and resentment of mortals, and later Goku specifically, more logical and layered because he actually meets and fights Goku, and personally comes to the conclusion, following how Goku able defeat him with just a fraction of his strength, that mortals having that kind of power, let alone the power to challenge Gods, is a potentially great danger to the universe and a grave mistake of the Gods to let it happen in the first place. Hell, Merged Zamasu even further states to Vegetto that he chose Goku's body specifically because, in Zamasu, eye, Goku is the representation of all of the failures of the Gods, as Goku had obtained power surpassing the Gods, despite being mortal. Take all of that development out and Goku Black loses all of his unique symbolism and representation.

The manga just glosses over that aspect by having Zamasu's only knowledge of Goku be watching him through Godtube clips. He sees a few clips on Godtube of Goku fighting in the Universe 6/7 tournament is all like "Yeah. Fuck this guy." Seriously? I don't like that lack of motivation as why he would choose Goku's body to switch with and become Goku Black. There's literally no point to the concept of Goku Black even existing in the manga. Zamasu could have switched bodies with anyone in the manga with how more ambiguous and shallow they make his motivation towards hating mortals. For all intents and purposes, he could have swapped bodies with Hit or Vegeta.

The characterisation of Goku Black is even worse. Goku Black is portrayed as less of a menace and has more instances of grasping the idiot ball. His method of getting stronger, was needlessly convoluted and just outright dumb, when you realise the abilities he has at his disposal. I mean, if Goku Black knew how Zenkai's work, why didn't he just have Future Zamasu blast some holes in him and then heal again, to efficiently farm those cheap power-ups? If Goku Black knows that he can transform into Super Saiyan Rose, then why doesn't he have Zamasu beat him up and Zenkai his way into the form? This makes Black seem incredibly stupid, especially considering that Zamasu can heal him. So he could have done this a long time ago with Zamasu and it would much more safer and efficient. But he didn't. He decided to be a reckless idiot and hope that Vegeta doesn't kill him very quickly or that Zamasu miraculously arrived to save his ass before it was too late. Not mention he is far more prone to losing his composure in the manga, while the anime version of Goku Black always remained calm, cool and extremely pragmatic.

The manga basically made him a generic one dimensional villain, like something you would see in a Toei movie. While the anime actually tries to flesh out his motivations and character.
Did you not read the pages I put in? Zamasu went to the planet Babari and saw everything the inhabitants of that planet did. He acted in the same way as the Zamasu of the anime.
After that, he and Gowasu have a long talk and Zamasu talks about that same subject of justice, and of humans, it's the same thing as anime too.
After that, he still sees Goku in the Kamitube, who in addition to possessing the divine Ki, manages to approach the power of a Hakaishin. This for him is inadmissible, and works in the same form as the anime (as I said, the animation works better Some points, but we could say that in comparison to the TV series, Zamasu motives were plausible considered what I said above). And who was at an advantage in the fight was Goku, not Hit.

And I think you did not really read the manga.
In chapter 20, Black himself says that he could not use all the power of Goku's body, but he figured out how to do it, and it was using the Saiyajins characteristic, Zenkai.
After this, Shin explains that Black made Zamasu leave him constantly on the verge of death, to make his mind connect more and more to his body. As Zamasu has healing powers, just like Kibito, he cured Black. But you think Is it easy to release all the power of someone's body so easily? It takes time, and the beating he took to Vegeta accelerated this process.

What is the meaning of a Zenkai who does not have to stand on the verge of death or even recover? This is not a Zenkai, it is a totally unexplained feature for Black to increase his powers in the anime and that the manga has fixed, since that ability has never been Explained.
Black was calm because all the time he got some Power Up. No matter what the reason, he got stronger and ready.

If so, why did not Black make Zamasu beat him until he increased his power, without needing healing or anything? He does not get stronger with that? It does not make sense in the same way.

Zamasu's plan in the manga is more expansive. He wanted to destroy humans from all time lines, not just Trunks'

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I really did not understand
I'm not discrediting what happened on Planet Babari, his talk with Gowasu or what he saw on Godtube. What I don't like is how basic and shallow Zamasu's reason is for choosing Goku's body specifically. If he was watching clips from the Universe 6 and 7 tournament, then surely he would have know that Vegeta uses God ki too, and is very strong his own right. Kaioshin even mentions that it wasn't just Son Goku who helped in prevent him from being defeated at the hands of Babidi. Why would he specifically search for Goku? The anime sorts out this by having Goku actually interact with Goku, on top of watching him on Godtube. He has firsthand experience that a mortal would have the power to surpass a God. It make his choice to swap with bodies with Goku more plausible and natural within the narrative, rather than just a plot-point that needs happen.

Kaioshin just presumes that Goku Black had Zamasu have him recover from near death constantly and abuse zenkai's. But prior to that, Goku Black strongly implies that he had been keeping Future Trunks alive so that he could fight him and get stronger from it. Now if Goku Black knew he could get stronger and gain a best grasp of Goku's body from fighting people, why couldn't he have fought with Zamasu? Especially considering Zamasu is a fighting prodigy and Kaioshin even further went to state that Zamasu had greater skills and abilities than any of the Supreme Kais from each universe? Future Trunks states in the anime that Goku Black in his Base form is at least equal if not somewhat stronger than Super Saiyan 3 Goku. So Goku Black is established as very strong from the get-go. Goku Black in the anime even states that the more Goku Black fought, the more he learned of about Goku's abilities and power and how to make it his own. And as Zamasu is fighting prodigy, he was able to grow more accustomed to Goku's body, it's unique traits, such as growing stronger the more you battle, and it's transformations, at a much quicker rate.
No, Gowasu and Zamasu were specifically watching the fight between Goku and Hit, so much that they analyze Saiyajin's abilities and say that he has a power close to that of the gods of destruction.
Zamasu just took the part of the fight that Gowasu was watching.

Kaioshin spoke about mortals who surpass gods. He did not specify anyone in particular, and if he had taken Goku's body so it would not make sense.
But there have been several things. He occasionally saw a mortal who has the power of the gods and approaches the level of a Hakaishin. Go to Zuno and ask EVERYTHING about this mortal. Do you think that his hatred will not increase considering he no longer liked Of humans?
He was particularly interested in Goku, who was with Hakaishins at his side, Zeno-Sama watching the tournament, and was superior to Hit.

In the anime this was more worked, but in the manga was acceptable, you could understand what his real motivation was.

Zamasu in the manga was not only staying at his house having tea all day. In chapter 20 we see that he used the time ring to investigate another timeline and see if there was any threat. He had to investigate several then had no time Only to strengthen Black with Zenkais, even because they had to work killing humans and gods.
Trunks, who was a survivor and a strong warrior was there and whenever they fought, the Saiyajin made Black stronger, it was another advantage besides Zamasu.
Soon, Black's speech does not contradict Shin's in no time, so you can conclude that Black used it to get stronger.

Black was always strong yes, but in the manga at least gave some explanation about how he got stronger before, or how he got used to the body. In the anime this was well implied and practically nothing was said, only that Trunks made him stronger .

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:19 pm

Because his motivation was weak as hell. Goku embarrassing Zamasu in a sparring match is far more intriguing than Zamasu watching Goku fight on the Godtube
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:22 pm

The best thing about these characters in the anime is their voice actors. They both absolutely nail their performances, and seem to have a blast doing it. In that case, I don't care how hammy the dialogue is because it's fun to listen to. The manga gives a much more coherent and narratively satisfying version of both of them.

Don't even get me started on merged Zamasu...absolutely hated what they did with that character in the anime.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:35 pm

The Patrolman wrote:Because his motivation was weak as hell. Goku embarrassing Zamasu in a sparring match is far more intriguing than Zamasu watching Goku fight on the Godtube
It also doesn't make a lick of sense. It's impossible for Black to have sparred with Goku in his past since Trunks was the catalyst for that, yet that's exactly what happened in Black's past somehow. He sparred with Goku and everything apparently was the same until for some reason, Goku decided to not pursue this and just go back home to a normal life

It's a time paradox that doesn't make sense because time travel doesn't work that way in DB. I absolutely hate the Goku/Zamasu relationship in the anime

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:49 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:Because his motivation was weak as hell. Goku embarrassing Zamasu in a sparring match is far more intriguing than Zamasu watching Goku fight on the Godtube
It also doesn't make a lick of sense. It's impossible for Black to have sparred with Goku in his past since Trunks was the catalyst for that, yet that's exactly what happened in Black's past somehow. He sparred with Goku and everything apparently was the same until for some reason, Goku decided to not pursue this and just go back home to a normal life

It's a time paradox that doesn't make sense because time travel doesn't work that way in DB. I absolutely hate the Goku/Zamasu relationship in the anime
I think the implicaion is that Zamasu and Goku WOULD always fight eventually, as Gowasu would still be looking at the tournament match, have Zamasu come in to watch it, then Zamasu goes off to challenge Goku. Black presence only accelerated when their spar would be.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:05 am

OLKv3 wrote: It also doesn't make a lick of sense. It's impossible for Black to have sparred with Goku in his past since Trunks was the catalyst for that, yet that's exactly what happened in Black's past somehow. He sparred with Goku and everything apparently was the same until for some reason, Goku decided to not pursue this and just go back home to a normal life

I've never understood the problem here. The paradox happens because Black uses the time ring to cross over from his timeline to Future Trunks'. You have two time travelers working in opposite directions across two different timelines. It's not possible for a single time traveler, no, but it's a different story when you have two.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:13 am

OLKv3 wrote:They didn't have a personal connection to Goku in the anime either. Goku never fought Zamasu in Black's timeline.
Black did fight Goku when he was Zamasu. It's what sparked up his obsession with him in the anime. He flat out references it.
Episode 61 wrote:Black: Don't you see, Son Goku? I am the one who...despite being a god, was shamefully defeated by you, a mortal. I am the former Kaioshin, Zamasu. I abandoned my Zamasu body and merged my soul with your flesh."

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:30 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:They didn't have a personal connection to Goku in the anime either. Goku never fought Zamasu in Black's timeline.
Black did fight Goku when he was Zamasu. It's what sparked up his obsession with him in the anime. He flat out references it.
Episode 61 wrote:Black: Don't you see, Son Goku? I am the one who...despite being a god, was shamefully defeated by you, a mortal. I am the former Kaioshin, Zamasu. I abandoned my Zamasu body and merged my soul with your flesh."
Yes I know, we've been over this in the thread

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:40 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: It also doesn't make a lick of sense. It's impossible for Black to have sparred with Goku in his past since Trunks was the catalyst for that, yet that's exactly what happened in Black's past somehow. He sparred with Goku and everything apparently was the same until for some reason, Goku decided to not pursue this and just go back home to a normal life

I've never understood the problem here. The paradox happens because Black uses the time ring to cross over from his timeline to Future Trunks'. You have two time travelers working in opposite directions across two different timelines. It's not possible for a single time traveler, no, but it's a different story when you have two.
I'll give a brief, detailed summary of the arc's time travel problems (hoping I remember them correctly):

If Dragon Ball Super followed logical time travel laws based on its pre-established principles, Goku Black never could have existed because within his timeline, Beerus always destroys him due to the timeline being identical before that point. This is explained by Zamasu's death creating a new timeline, but that logic doesn't work if you follow through on it because there can't be an alternate sequence of events wherein Zamasu's plans aren't discovered, since the timeline is confirmed not to have split before the point of Zamasu's death. This plot hole could be resolved if we assumed the timeline split when Trunks or Goku Black came back in time, but that's confirmed by Gowasu not to be the case

However, even if we assume that the time split did occur that early, Goku Black's existence doesn't make sense without making the assumption that Goku from Goku Black's home timeline went to Universe 11 on his own for some unknown reason, which isn't particularly likely. The intent of the backstory obviously suggest that he comes from a history identical to the main timeline up until the point of Zamasu's death at the hands of Beerus, which doesn't logically follow, since the events leading up that point are identical by all accounts.

I get what you're trying to say regarding two parties time traveling, but it still doesn't work considering how impossible Goku Black's origin point is. There never should have been two time travellers in the first place once you negate all of the incongruencies. All Toriyama would have to have done is make the split happen at the point of Trunks's arrival, then set up a convenient, similar set of circumstances between Goku and Zamasu in one of the other three timelines, and the whole thing would be 100% cohesive.
Retired.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:42 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: I'll give a brief, detailed summary of the arc's time travel problems (hoping I remember them correctly):

If Dragon Ball Super followed logical time travel laws based on its pre-established principles, Goku Black never could have existed because within his timeline, Beerus always destroys him due to the timeline being identical before that point. This is explained by Zamasu's death creating a new timeline, but that logic doesn't work if you follow through on it because there can't be an alternate sequence of events wherein Zamasu's plans aren't discovered, since the timeline is confirmed not to have split before the point of Zamasu's death. This plot hole could be resolved if we assumed the timeline split when Trunks or Goku Black came back in time, but that's confirmed by Gowasu not to be the case

However, even if we assume that the time split did occur that early, Goku Black's existence doesn't make sense without making the assumption that Goku from Goku Black's home timeline went to Universe 11 on his own for some unknown reason, which isn't particularly likely. The intent of the backstory obviously suggest that he comes from a history identical to the main timeline up until the point of Zamasu's death at the hands of Beerus, which doesn't logically follow, since the events leading up that point are identical by all accounts.

I get what you're trying to say regarding two parties time traveling, but it still doesn't work considering how impossible Goku Black's origin point is. There never should have been two time travellers in the first place once you negate all of the incongruencies. All Toriyama would have to have done is make the split happen at the point of Trunks's arrival, then set up a convenient, similar set of circumstances between Goku and Zamasu in one of the other three timelines, and the whole thing would be 100% cohesive.
I gotcha! :thumbup: The time travel in this series turned into a nasty mess when they introduced the concept of multiple timelines and brought in Cell. Although, didn't the anime have one extra time ring that went wholly unexplained? I know in the manga they said it was caused by time travelling in U12 but I don't think they anime ever clarified that one.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 am

Kanassa wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:

I think the implicaion is that Zamasu and Goku WOULD always fight eventually, as Gowasu would still be looking at the tournament match, have Zamasu come in to watch it, then Zamasu goes off to challenge Goku. Black presence only accelerated when their spar would be.
Yes that was what was implied, Goku and Zamasu were always on a course to clash and this is not too far fetched because Zamasu was heralded as a special fighter prodigy Kaioshin, in our timeline it was because of Trunks they fought but in the other it could have been any other reason like Whis saying to Goku oh there a unique fighter Kaioshin in U10 and Goku would be like oh cool I wanna fight him! etc but the reason why is not important it is them fighting that is with the point being that them sparring was fate.

ckal9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ckal9 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:31 am

Lord Beerus wrote:He sees a few clips on Godtube of Goku fighting in the Universe 6/7 tournament is all like "Yeah. Fuck this guy."
That makes no sense. Other than Goku being the main character, why would he not decide he has a vendetta with Hit or Vegeta? Why pick Goku? There probably is no other reason.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:41 am

ckal9 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:He sees a few clips on Godtube of Goku fighting in the Universe 6/7 tournament is all like "Yeah. Fuck this guy."
That makes no sense. Other than Goku being the main character, why would he not decide he has a vendetta with Hit or Vegeta? Why pick Goku? There probably is no other reason.
The anime actually goes out its way to specify why Zamasu chose Goku's body. He defeats him in a sparring match, and personally comes to the conclusion, following how Goku was able defeat him with just a fraction of his strength, that mortals having that kind of power, let alone the power to challenge Gods, is a potentially great danger to the universe and a grave mistake of the Gods to let it happen in the first place. Hell, Merged Zamasu even further states to Vegetto that he chose Goku's body specifically because he believes that Goku is the representation of all of the failures of the Gods, as Goku had obtained power surpassing the Gods, despite being mortal, and uses is so frivolously. Hell, the anime even goes further in making the connection with Goku Black/Zamasu and Goku all the more personal with Goku Black/Zamasu killing Chi Chi and Goten out of spite. And those two where the first two mortal he killed in his path to completing his Zero Mortals Plan.

The anime makes the scenario with Zamasu's distrusts and resentment of mortals, and later Goku specifically, more logical and layered. The manga take all of that development out and, because of that, Goku Black loses all of his unique symbolism, dramatic irony and intentional hypocritical representation which makes the character so great and complex.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:25 am

ckal9 wrote:
I always love how people just talk shit about things they have not even watched/read. There is a reason, its definetly not a random thing, so I suggest you to actually read it before showing ignorance about a matter saying it's a nonsense. Then again, it isn't very different from the people who are supposed to have read the manga yet they say that he just saw a random clip on Godtube, but oh well, this is DB fandom after all, where people hate about things they don't even know about apart from a few images and spoilers (and it sadly applies to Super as a whole most of the time).

Zamasu first learns about Goku after his battle with Kibito. He was praising Shin akd Kibito for getting rid of Buu, a job which should have been done by Beerus, however Shin tells him that it was Son Goku who did it. Zamasu doesn't believe at first that there are mortals reaching the levels of the gods and what's more, using it that way, doing the job of the gods. After the Barbari incident, when the only conclusion Zamasu has about Gowasu's (poor) attemps to make him change his mind about mortals is that the power he has been working so hard to obtain is useless because, being a Kaio, he can't use it. He then become interested in Goku and searched about him on Godtube, finding the torunament of the Champa arc. The rest is pretty much the same that in tje anime, but without the nonsensical scene of trying to kill Gowasu with a Ki sword, when there were a hell lot of ways to make it easier. In the manga he's caught as fast as he returns from speaking with Zuno.

Why would he chose Vegeta? As far as he knows, he doesn't use his power to make the God's job. Hit is even a worde option consifering how weak he is, and he doesn't even have god ki.

Actually, the «random Godtube clip» applies more for the anime version than for the manga one. In the anime Zamasu just sees casually a clip of SSB Goku fighting Hit, not the tournament itself like in the manga, yet he latter knows about Vegeta. The time travel in this arc is a nonsense in both manga and anime, but its even worse in the anime, where Black can't even be Zamasu. They didn't even make a «good» time loop, since the flashbacks of Black doesn't match at all with it (Gowasu dies in differents ways, the Goku who Blsck killed was in the garden casually instead of eing worried because of he entire Goku Black thing) In thw anime Black could not even know about Vegeta. But well, Goku could have also oneshoted Black back when he was supposed to be pissed about him killing his family using the Kaioken, yet he didn't because of... whatever. The logic in the anime is absolutely non existent except from some parts.

Its indeed true that Zamasu doesn't have a personal connection to Goku, but the whole «he just chose Goku from a random clip of Godtube» meme needs to die since it's not true at all. Goku is still a mortal who as the power of the gods and use it like of he was one, having even a power more close to the Hakaishins that they should.

And the anime didn't make a perfect job with him either, since Future Zamasu was extremely lame, taking like ten seconds to turn evil, just because a random ningen with a Pothala appears, kills his master, and says «I'm here for the sake of justice!». Future Zamasu in the manga actually has , as said by Trunks himself, psycological damage because of Black's influencd, while the anime one was like «Oh yeah, fuck everything, now I won't have to make more tea» after looking for some seconds to, as I said, a ningen with Pothalas who has just killed his master.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.