Goku confirms this at last

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Goku confirms this at last

Post by Saturnine » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:34 am

"I was never really aware of saving the world, all I ever wanted was to fight strong guys".

Can't wait until FUNi dubs this episode, then we'll be able to make a mashup of it with Goku's early day heroic speeches and watch the sparks fly :lol:

OLKv3

Re: Goku confirms this at last

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:23 am

Saturnine wrote:"I was never really aware of saving the world, all I ever wanted was to fight strong guys".

Can't wait until FUNi dubs this episode, then we'll be able to make a mashup of it with Goku's early day heroic speeches and watch the sparks fly :lol:
It's ridiculous though, since he specifically tells Freeza that he's also fighting him for the sake of everyone he's killed. And he definitely fought Piccolo Daimou out of revenge and not for the sake of a good fight (though he did fight Piccolo Jr for a good fight). Same with the RRA

And you left out him saying that he *also* doesn't like innocent life being spilled.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:28 am

He also said, he couldn't stand the thought of innocent people and animals getting killed.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:34 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:He also said, he couldn't stand the thought of innocent people and animals getting killed.
He is basically being a hero by nature and not even knowing it..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:16 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:He also said, he couldn't stand the thought of innocent people and animals getting killed.
Its adorable how he's not aware of that, but hell thats what makes him an awesome character.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:29 am

SansrivaaL wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
Its adorable how he's not aware of that, but hell thats what makes him an awesome character.
Yeah, he doesn't really think about analyzing happenings, others or even himself. He does things without a second thought. :D
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:47 am

It's hardly anything serious. He is still a heroic and noble character.

The dubs may say that "All I've ever done is fight tough guys" and it still works out.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:08 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:It's hardly anything serious. He is still a heroic and noble character.

The dubs may say that "All I've ever done is fight tough guys" and it still works out.
Such line it's very likely to happen, indeed! :roll:
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:52 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
Fully agreed. It's why I like the character a lot.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz1AzN48RJA

Haha skip to 00:53.

It'll trigger those who hate heroic Goku.

Honestly. Goku Is heroic in his own adorable ways.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:05 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:It's hardly anything serious. He is still a heroic and noble character.

Which would help effectively kill a really great scene, in my opinion. The whole talk with #17 at the end is perfection.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Low Tone G wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: He is basically being a hero by nature and not even knowing it..
Yeah, he doesn't really think about analyzing happenings, others or even himself. He does things without a second thought. :D
"My body moved on its own before I could think!" -Izuku Midoriya

If anything I think these quotes from Goku should prove he HAS always been a hero. (and sometimes is in Super but it's kinda inconsistent. :crazy: )

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Didn't the original dub imply he only acts heroic just to have an excuse to fight strong opponets? Like when he told Uub he will protect the earth someday but Vegeta said he was only doing it so he can fight Uub when he is fully developed.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:48 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Saturnine wrote:"I was never really aware of saving the world, all I ever wanted was to fight strong guys".

It's ridiculous though, since he specifically tells Freeza that he's also fighting him for the sake of everyone he's killed. And he definitely fought Piccolo Daimou out of revenge and not for the sake of a good fight (though he did fight Piccolo Jr for a good fight). Same with the RRA

And you left out him saying that he *also* doesn't like innocent life being spilled.
King Piccolo was personal. He wasn't fighting for the sake of the world, which was his point. The same with Freeza. He was fighting for revenge, not to save the universe from a tyrant. It just had the results of saving the world.
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Didn't the original dub imply he only acts heroic just to have an excuse to fight strong opponets? Like when he told Uub he will protect the earth someday but Vegeta said he was only doing it so he can fight Uub when he is fully developed.
Goku was only really 'Superman' in the Freeza Saga of the original dub. After that, they toned that down and made him closer to his original self, although he was still overall more heroic. So I am not sure why everyone is making fun of Funi 'heroing' Goku up since they haven't really been doing it outside of one or two lines. Even then, they're quick to point out that Goku is selfish.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:02 am

OLKv3 wrote:

Avenging the death of your friends =/= saving the world.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:24 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:

Avenging the death of your friends =/= saving the world.
But that's exactly what he did, he saved the world. He sacrificed himself to do it too (though he survived), then he sacrificed himself AGAIN against Cell.
In the Buu saga, he trained Goten and Trunks in the ways of fusion specifically so the world has a savoir because he's dead.

Also, what friends? Nobody he was friends with was killed by Freeza at the time he made the speech. He did it for all of Freeza's victims, people who he didn't know at all
Look I understand the line, I like it because it describes Goku. He doesn't do things to be a hero, being a hero just happens to be a consequence of his desire to protect his friends and fight strong dudes.

What I don't like is people like the OP twisting it to make Goku look like something he's not, intentionally leaving out the 2nd part of the statement

ckal9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ckal9 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:09 am

I am copy/pasting my comment from the ep 87 thread below:

I just happened to watch DBZ episode 26, "Nappa's Rampage", when Goku gets back to the check in station on Snake Way. He literally says the following to Kami and Mr. Popo:

"Wish I could stay and chat guys. But I gotta go save the world."

Yes, this dialogue happened hundreds of episodes and many years ago, but I have to believe Goku believed and knew he was actually being a savior throughout these huge events. I still like his line in ep 87 a lot. I thought it was very touching and poignant and a true description of his character.