Android 17's wish sounds weird

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Android 17's wish sounds weird

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:29 pm

He wants to wish for a boat so he can travel the world with his family. That would have to be a really freaking special boat, if he needs to wish on the Super Dragon Balls for it instead of simply saving up to buy a boat.

On the other hand, maybe boats are expensive in the DBS universe. So far, only Bulma has showed off a boat, and it's an ocean liner.

Still, it sounds a bit odd to me to wish for something easily bought/achieved.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Re: Android 17's wish sounds weird

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Maybe he just cannot afford the type he would like on his salary.

Also its not that out of character for him, during the android arc they could have easily just flown to Goku's house in no time at all but he wanted to drive because they never had before.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:32 pm

I just count it as the cast acting selfish with the Dragon Balls and what kind wishes they want. Hell, we had a whole episode in Super demonstrating just how petty and selfish the cast can be when using the Dragon Balls for their specific wishes.

I also assume it's the kind of special boat that can't be built or bought with money.

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:32 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I just count it as the cast acting selfish with the Dragon Balls and what kind wishes they want. Hell, we had a whole episode in Super demonstrating just how petty and selfish the cast can be when using the Dragon Balls for their specific wishes.

I also assume it's the kind of special boat that can't be built or bought with money.
It's a bit odd that he first says that he already has got enough money with his job (so, he's not interested in the -fake- prize of the Tournament that Goku told him in pisode 86), and then in episode 87 he says that we would want a cruise ship which he can't afford...
Also, they could use the dragon radar to get the Earth dragon balls in half day, and wish for the ship...
Also, it's still not clear how thay could "divide" a single SDB wish between all the "survivors" of the winning team... maybe wishing for ten more wishes?

Oh, well... just details... no need to really worry...

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:18 am

I think there's a stark difference between attempting to buy off someone's services & enticing them with a limitless prize. It's not really about the Dragon Balls used & after some time, I'd say it's hardly about the prize itself, too. 17 familiarized himself with Goku's character & was convinced to assist him. As per his personality, he's holding him towards a favor instead of directly admitting a fondness towards the strange martial artist. There's a mix of opportunity knocking for something he already "wished for" present.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:10 am

There's only one reason I could think of to try to wish for a boat using the Super Dragon Balls.

"Not only is my boat nigh indestructible, but it can bend the fabric of the universe itself!"

...sorry, had to say it. xD
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:04 am

I thought it was less "This is why I'm going to get the Super Dragon Balls" as it was "Well, if we do win, and you're giving me this free wish, this is what I'll wish for".
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Post by z_cherub » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:09 pm

Saw it as a throwback to Z.

He could fly at stupid speed and still wanted a van to drive because it's "fun".

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:47 am

Is there anyone outside of Piccolo and Bulma that are smart in team u7?

This guy wants a boat so he can travel the world when he can fly. The writing just get a worse by the second.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:05 pm

julianix wrote:Is there anyone outside of Piccolo and Bulma that are smart in team u7?

This guy wants a boat so he can travel the world when he can fly. The writing just get a worse by the second.
How can he travel the world with 3 kids and his wife while flying ? it's not out of character for 17 he prefers driving instead of flying too,it's just how he is besides 17 is very smart he went toe to toe with Piccolo who is considered smart and still couldn't outsmart him during that battle.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Look, I really don't care much for the power level debate of Super 17.
This really threw me for a loop. He apparently works very hard to stop poachers on this wildlife reserve. I feel like he could have at least asked for a larger island to save more wildlife, heck a planet. Maybe even an ark type ship to sail the world and save animals. Man, he could have asked for a galactic ship and planet to save endangered wildlife across the galaxy/universe/multiverse. I'm not saying he's stupid but it feels like he really lacks imagination, it doesn't really feel right coming from his personality of enjoying life, and thinking beyond what's in front of him. That's seems more of 16 or 18's gig. He may be a "good" guy now but he's not going to turn down a sports car for something so mundane. It just doesn't seem to fit his personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBMIrBXR2Wo

That said, the wish is probably a gag that fell flat.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Given how eager 18 is about money, expensive and luxurious items, and using wishes for mundane things like what to get her husband, it seems like a family quirk.

At least, that's how I interpreted it after seeing the episode.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:57 am

I mean he could just use the earth dragon balls for it. Using the super dragon balls for something the regular ones could do would be a waste. Hell, I bet if he asked any of Goku's several rich buddies they'd help him out. Doesn't really matter though. It just seems like a random throwaway line to me.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:03 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Given how eager 18 is about money, expensive and luxurious items, and using wishes for mundane things like what to get her husband, it seems like a family quirk.

At least, that's how I interpreted it after seeing the episode.
That's the thing, 18 was always the one that seemed disconnected and airheaded. Like the perpetual angry teenage girl who's too cool to smile let alone participate in anything. I'd expect something stupid like that from 18. 17 seemed a bit more grounded and had imagination.
TekTheNinja wrote:I mean he could just use the earth dragon balls for it. Using the super dragon balls for something the regular ones could do would be a waste. Hell, I bet if he asked any of Goku's several rich buddies they'd help him out. Doesn't really matter though. It just seems like a random throwaway line to me.
Definitely a throwaway gag line. I think the detriment to Super is that it seems to play the gag lines too straight and the serious lines not straight enough. I keep saying this but watching the Buu arc the gag lines are well executed and don't seem out of place and the show certainly gets more serious when called for.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
julianix wrote:Is there anyone outside of Piccolo and Bulma that are smart in team u7?

How can he travel the world with 3 kids and his wife while flying ? it's not out of character for 17 he prefers driving instead of flying too,it's just how he is besides 17 is very smart he went toe to toe with Piccolo who is considered smart and still couldn't outsmart him during that battle.
Give them equal stamina and you'll see the difference in smarts and skill.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:21 pm

julianix wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:

Give them equal stamina and you'll see the difference in smarts and skill.
Stamina has nothing to do with this,if 17 wasn't that smart,Piccolo would have outsmarted him before losing stamina and getting tired but he couldn't.