Why haven't we got a Vegeta recruitment episode?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why haven't we got a Vegeta recruitment episode?

Post by HeroR » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:06 am

Chuquita wrote:Because someone at Shueisha decided I was having too much fun watching Gokû and Vegeta hanging out together being close rival-friends and they had to put a stop to that by sinking my battleship. :(

More realistically though:
-The new series producer and/or director like Gohan and 17 more than Vegeta.
-Toriyama feels Vegeta's outlived his usefulness and is retiring him in that "twisted" way (the whole doing the opposite of what people expect thing of his).
-Shueisha's decided it wants to emphasis the cast as a whole instead of relying too heavily on a smaller number of characters.
-They're saving Vegeta for the final recruitment episode some time in late May or early June.
-Ryo Horikawa has other stuff to do and/or health issues that have caused his role on Super to be shrunk.

Also want to point out that Super received a new director and producer most recently at episode 77 (coincidentally around the time Vegeta's spotlight and my interest in the show began to weaken).
The script for these episodes are written weeks if not months ahead of time. So they would pre-date the new director.

Why do fans think these scripts are written weekly? This isn't like a manga, it takes weeks to draw an episode.
Chuquita wrote:Vegeta's more like the splash this arc so far, imo. He's barely around. This is the Gokû, Gohan, 17, and maybe Krillin arc at the moment.

Who knows with the manga version of this arc though; I'll find out in a few months or so.

My biggest issue with the manga currently is how dull the manga versions of Zamasu and Gokû Black are. They were so over the top in the anime and I enjoyed them as villains so much where in the manga they're not nearly as flashy as I'd like.
How is 17 replacing Vegeta? He only got two episodes focused and he needed them since he disappeared for about twenty years. Buu has gotten more screen than 17 so far. As for Gohan, he would need more focused since this is Gohan first real story involvement in a Toriyama's story since Resurrection 'F'.

Honestly, is it stuff like that is why I feel that Vegeta's fans are the biggest babies in the fandom. He doesn't get focus for a few months and every acts like he got written out. At least the Gohan and Piccolo fans have real reasons to feel left out, even if they over do it.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:23 am

HeroR wrote: The script for these episodes are written weeks if not months ahead of time. So they would pre-date the new director.
That's not how it works. Series director/s look over the show and decide where the story would go. They hold meetings with each episode director and with series composer to make sure the story is going as they envisioned. New director being appointed for the new arc means the director was likely selected months in advance, and was working beforehand in order to lay out the story. Scripts and staff comes after. Also, producers or director can actually reject or change a script too.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:08 am

The episode where Bra is born is the Vegeta recruitment episode.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:18 am

Sodhi wrote:
HeroR wrote: The script for these episodes are written weeks if not months ahead of time. So they would pre-date the new director.
That's not how it works. Series director/s look over the show and decide where the story would go. They hold meetings with each episode director and with series composer to make sure the story is going as they envisioned. New director being appointed for the new arc means the director was likely selected months in advance, and was working beforehand in order to lay out the story. Scripts and staff comes after. Also, producers or director can actually reject or change a script too.
If the new director wasn't around until around Episode 77, that means the scrips were already in the work before they came onboard. And 'series director/s look over the show and decide where the story would go' doesn't really work here since Toriyama decides where the story goes. The producer only decides how the story will be told.

And a producer can reject scripts, but it's done weeks before hand since it takes that long to actually animated an episode and re-animaiton cost money. Super is also on a tight timeline to begin with so drastic changes are not in the cards.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:24 am

I am sorry but that's not how it works. Toriyama does not decide the staff or how each individual episode will turn out. Also, new director is not selected in a day, it's something that is planned and done in advance, unless there is an emergency. The series is a vision of the director, does not matter what the end result is,it's how to get there. Scripts are under director, that's why we have series directors in the first place, to keep the series in a certain vision and not all over the place.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:38 am

Chuquita wrote:Because someone at Shueisha decided I was having too much fun watching Gokû and Vegeta hanging out together being close rival-friends and they had to put a stop to that by sinking my battleship. :(

More realistically though:
-The new series producer and/or director like Gohan and 17 more than Vegeta.
-Toriyama feels Vegeta's outlived his usefulness and is retiring him in that "twisted" way (the whole doing the opposite of what people expect thing of his).
-Shueisha's decided it wants to emphasis the cast as a whole instead of relying too heavily on a smaller number of characters.
-They're saving Vegeta for the final recruitment episode some time in late May or early June.
-Ryo Horikawa has other stuff to do and/or health issues that have caused his role on Super to be shrunk.

Also want to point out that Super received a new director and producer most recently at episode 77 (coincidentally around the time Vegeta's spotlight and my interest in the show began to weaken).
Vegeta was the first recruitment episode with episode 73. How did you guys forget this ?

Also, Vegeta wasn't really relevant during the filler episodes either.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:19 am

HeroR wrote:
Sodhi wrote:
If the new director wasn't around until around Episode 77, that means the scrips were already in the work before they came onboard. And 'series director/s look over the show and decide where the story would go' doesn't really work here since Toriyama decides where the story goes. The producer only decides how the story will be told.

And a producer can reject scripts, but it's done weeks before hand since it takes that long to actually animated an episode and re-animaiton cost money. Super is also on a tight timeline to begin with so drastic changes are not in the cards.
Episode 77 is just the first one to credit the new directors and producers. Like you say, there's months of pre-production so they obviously were involved with its entire production for a while, not just thrown onto the credits because they had joined the team by the time the episode aired. That's not how credits work. The old director and producer aren't even credited by that point.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:57 am

Re: Vegeta and other characters' treatment

Honestly I think kid Trunks and Goten have gotten the shortest end of the stick; they haven't even been allowed to physically age. It could be argued that Piccolo and Gohan had barely been around, but they're fixing it this arc. Meanwhile Trunks and Goten don't even get to participate in the tournament. Even Yamcha had that baseball episode a while back.

Vegeta though...if I was truly upset, I wouldn't still be watching the show, I'd just dump it like I have other stuff. Without him I'm mostly just watching for Gokû now. They drop them both, then I'll stop watching the show.

I don't see how it's more valid to be a fan of one character vs another, and I think it's wrong to generalize about fans of any character as a whole.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:01 am

I wouldn't mind Vegeta not getting much spotlight during the arc,i actually never complained about "Goku time" i understand quite well Goku is the lead it would be the same if people complained about Usagi getting the most attention (idk if you're familiar with Sailor Moon) but Vegeta to me has too much spotlight for a side character especially in DBS he already had great moments,it's time others have some kick ass moments too.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:14 am

I understand the analogy. :mrgreen: The 90's Sailor Moon anime is one of my favorites.

With Vegeta, enough time as passed where I've accepted the fact that he's being de-emphasized. Like it doesn't frustrate me anymore the way it did a month ago. I'm ok with it and I'm moving on.

I hope they do some fun stuff with the rest of the cast they're bringing back. Piccolo and Gohan teamwork can be fun. I'd like to see the Krillin, 18, and 17 team working together. I'm curious how long Buu will last in the tournament.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:46 am

Lapislettuce wrote:I wouldn't mind Vegeta not getting much spotlight during the arc,i actually never complained about "Goku time" i understand quite well Goku is the lead it would be the same if people complained about Usagi getting the most attention (idk if you're familiar with Sailor Moon) but Vegeta to me has too much spotlight for a side character especially in DBS he already had great moments,it's time others have some kick ass moments too.
Well I personally have no problem with Goku getting the most screen time since as main character, that's what I'd expect. It isn't any different than main characters from all types of manga getting the most focus (Conan, Usagi, Yusuke, Yugi, Takao, etc...). However, I just don't want it to GT extremes of it. I don't think Vegeta has too much screen time since he isn't a side character and never was. He was always a major character, one of the main protagonists. He just isn't the Main Lead.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:38 pm

I don't mind not seeing Vegeta. Was never a big fan of him, but I do like how he is being portrayed as a caring father who's concerned for his family. It shows how evident character development is in this series.

I do think we will see a more Vegeta centric episode as the tournament draws closer and closer.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:51 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:The episode where Bra is born is the Vegeta recruitment episode.

I'm not sure I'd call that a recruitment episode. It centered around another character being born. But if you say so. I wanted to see him train/fight someone like all the others.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:06 pm

MagmonKai wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:The episode where Bra is born is the Vegeta recruitment episode.

I'm not sure I'd call that a recruitment episode. It centered around another character being born. But if you say so. I wanted to see him train/fight someone like all the others.
Goku knows Vegetas limits, he doesn't need to fight him. Bra's birth only happened to make Vegeta fight.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:39 pm

Beyond wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Toriyama feels Vegeta's outlived his usefulness and is retiring him in that "twisted" way.
In the manga he was the only one to get the main fights with Black which wouldn't have happened without Toriyama's OK so his lack of good screentime after the Champa arc has more to do with Toei (and maybe Shueisha), not Toriyama.

If Black's manga version is anything to go by then we'll get plenty of him in the manga.
I fear the manga will have a bad ratio of screen time like 45% Goku and 45 Vegeta and 10% for everyone else. While the anime will probably be closer to 35% Goku, 20% Gohan 20% Vegeta and 25% everyone else. I know Vegeta is super popular, but I doubt he's worth more than Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo, 17, and the rest of the cast combined. If it comes down to the Goku and Vegeta show vs the Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan show with splashes of others. I'll pick the latter every single time.
I disagree,the character with most screentime in the manga will be #17, goku, Vegeta, Gohan and krillin, meanwhile the other 5 will be as revelant as the anime counterpart in the Ring
Mostly active on discord.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:37 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:You mean you don't count the episode about Bra as Vegeta's recruitment episode? I thought that made sense. Goku tries to recruit Vegeta, Vegeta says "I'd want to, but there's something stopping me", the others deal with that and overcome that, and Vegeta decides to fight.

I think it's the same reason as to why Piccolo doesn't get a recruitment episode. You don't need to explain why Vegeta is going to fight, because he'll always want to. He's just as Saiyan as Goku. And he hasn't been absent from a single arc.
I agree, 100%. The idea seems unnecessary and I'm pretty sure Piccolo's "recruitment" is going to be the next ep when he trains Gohan.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:55 am

Lapislettuce wrote:Vegeta to me has too much spotlight for a side character.
A side character getting a lot of the spotlight is better than Goku taking it all to himself. He gets too much as it is.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:01 am

sintzu wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:Vegeta to me has too much spotlight for a side character.
A side character getting a lot of the spotlight is better than Goku taking it all to himself. He gets too much as it is.
Vegeta going around recruiting everyone would just not look right.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:50 am

I don't see Vegeta recruiting people. I don't see Vegeta as a "people" person.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:06 am

Lol vegeta fans are sooooo GREEDY. Hes had a ton of screentime since the U6 arc, and he definitely will for the tournament. It only makes it fair for the other characters to get recruitment episodes because they haven't been around for a while. Plus he just had a baby, what more can you ask at this point.