Jiangshi (Chinese vampires) in DBS

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Jiangshi (Chinese vampires) in DBS

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:24 am

That's actually pretty cool. (They're confirmed for the Tien episode)

It harks back to DB in the beginning havning Chinese mythology/culture as an influence.

Vampires have been around in DB before (Fangs, Trampire, etc), but those were European-styled goth vampires. These are significantly different: they use enchantments and absorb chi instead of blood. (And judging by the preview, they seem to be on par with Goku)

Their appearance should be very interesting to see.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: Jiangshi (Chinese vampires) in DBS

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun May 07, 2017 10:10 am

I made a mistake, it's not vampires but the talisman/charms work the same way.

It's a shame though, I thought vampires could work out as a legitimate threat in DB.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Isn't Chaozu already basically a Jiang Shi? After all, he never ages and has to drop fighting so it's possible his bones have stiffened and he died as a child. Obviously there's something he needs to do before he can just die for good but I guess he likes being around Tenshinhan so much he'll just do whatever it is he needs to do when Tenshinhan dies.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun May 07, 2017 7:04 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Isn't Chaozu already basically a Jiang Shi? After all, he never ages and has to drop fighting so it's possible his bones have stiffened and he died as a child. Obviously there's something he needs to do before he can just die for good but I guess he likes being around Tenshinhan so much he'll just do whatever it is he needs to do when Tenshinhan dies.
I was wondering if Chaozu's reaction was supposed to be a joke or reference of some sort.