Anyone else annoyed at Crunchyroll's subs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cabba
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Anyone else annoyed at Crunchyroll's subs?

Post by Cabba » Thu May 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
King-K9 wrote:It's just attack names it's not that big of a deal.
It is to fans of the original Japanese version.
Not really. It may be a big deal to the purists, or to the more hardcore branches. For most of us, it's just a minor inconvenience, and a temporary one at that.
For us who grew up with the latin dub its a big deal as well
The Latin dub was much more faithful to the source material than the ameridub ever was, its especially annoying how the spanish subs use terminology they never did use in the first place

Funidub style subs bother me

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:49 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Something similar is the JoJo subs and how they change names for copyright. You hear Koichi say Echoes but the subs read Reverb. Same with Josuke and Crazy Diamond/Shining Diamond. They don't bother me, yet these subs bother me greatly. Maybe it's cause in JoJo the names are so defined in the acting it's easy to overwrite the subs, but in DBSuper I have to have my mind overwrite the subs over 20 times an episode, often more due to the sheer amount of name changes.

Another example is Crunchyroll's Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V subs. They use Engrish names instead of translated names. Leaving us with Ute, Hugo and Joeri over Yuto, Yugo and Yuri. And all their Yu-Gi-Oh! series use TCG card names, meaning you clearly hear Yugi say "Black Magician" but the subs read "Dark Magician". And those subs bother me greatly.

Do the subs still refer to Osiris as Slifer? Goddamn 4Kids dub change.
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat May 20, 2017 3:03 am

It doesn't bother me that much, I know what they're referring to when they use dub terms and I can recognize the phrases in Japanese. Fans who were previously dub only would probably be confused by a more literal translation, so I get why they went the route they did.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat May 20, 2017 4:39 am

It is a miracle that we have a simulcast, the subtitles are serviceable and the home release will rectify any problems that do exist.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 am

kidhero1000 wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Something similar is the JoJo subs and how they change names for copyright. You hear Koichi say Echoes but the subs read Reverb. Same with Josuke and Crazy Diamond/Shining Diamond. They don't bother me, yet these subs bother me greatly. Maybe it's cause in JoJo the names are so defined in the acting it's easy to overwrite the subs, but in DBSuper I have to have my mind overwrite the subs over 20 times an episode, often more due to the sheer amount of name changes.

Another example is Crunchyroll's Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V subs. They use Engrish names instead of translated names. Leaving us with Ute, Hugo and Joeri over Yuto, Yugo and Yuri. And all their Yu-Gi-Oh! series use TCG card names, meaning you clearly hear Yugi say "Black Magician" but the subs read "Dark Magician". And those subs bother me greatly.

Yes, they do. I's nit that big of a deal to me that they use the English card names. If you wanna blame somebody about it, I would probably think that it is Konami's fault to use their names so people can buy more cards

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:58 pm

simtek34 wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote:

Yes, they do. I's nit that big of a deal to me that they use the English card names. If you wanna blame somebody about it, I would probably think that it is Konami's fault to use their names so people can buy more cards
Considering that origin of the name had to do with a gag than anything, and there is no Egyptian god that goes by that name, it's dumb as all hell.
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Beek King wrote:I'm more annoyed that people are CONSTANTLY acting appalled, shocked, bewildered upon seeing another dub term popping up in them.
Seriously. Crunchyroll has had the rights for like 4 months now and there's still bitching.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Mon May 22, 2017 7:39 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:Well, so much for the "Use Funi terms where they exist, make up new terms if Funi left some untranslated" theory. Instead of "Tri-Beam" we got "Ki Blast Cannon" (IIRC)
Not the first time they've broken this rule. "King Kai Fist" is another notable example.
Ki Blast Cannon and King Kai Fist were both in the original Budokai game. So it's not like these names have absolutely no precedent, it's probably something weird on Toei's end.

Anyway, I see no reason to get all pissed off about the terminology. Is it dumb? Yes. Does it ruin the translation? No. It's still a perfectly competent translation for the most part regardless of the handling of certain proper nouns. It's not like we've got them tossing "Mondo cool" in there.