This made me realize what's missing in Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

This made me realize what's missing in Super

Post by Shuby » Sun May 07, 2017 9:01 am

After watching this short clips i realize what's missing in Super, a proper build-up and the sense that your kicks and punches have weight to them even the sounds when your kicks and fists clash is really something that is downgraded and laughable really compared to it's predecessors. Honestly watch this, take a step back and think what Super is actually missing.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Just compare the sense of speed, the sound effects, the sense that the punches have weight to them to Super, which in comparison looks like plastic dolls fighting it out.

elijah310

Re: This made me realize what's missing in Super

Post by elijah310 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:48 pm

My Hero Academia FTW!!! But I totally agree, this is something Super is really missing. In Super, the way it looks when attacks hit is really... just underwhelming.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:13 pm

It's the sound effects, lack of Faulconer, and lack of dramatic buildup. Any tension in the Super is markedly rushed. The threats don't mean anything. Have there even been any threats to the present-time U7 so far? The tournament is the first real one I can think of. Frieza was sort of one, but his resurrection was so badly butchered and poorly animated that it killed all credibility. Beerus wasn't a threat, because it was broadcasted loud and clear that he wasn't after Earth with sinister intentions, whether or not the show directly stated it.

But you're ultimately spot on. Watch YT reaction vids for OPM, and watch how many of them say how strong Saitama is and how he's comparable to Goku after he, for example, splits the clouds during his fight with Boros, or eviscerates a mountain during his fight with Genos. Goku was capable of doing this kind of crap in DB, but it's the atmosphere, sounds, intensity, and music that up the ante for OPM and make it seem so powerful. Goku's punches should make me feel them; they should pack some serious noise. DB has yet to fully learn that perception is everything when it comes to power, but I don't think they honestly care. DBZ is when they did it best.

Not a Super hater here; love the show! In fact, I feel significant tension for the tournament, which is a feeling I never thought the show would give me. They aren't executing it perfectly by any means, but there's some gold in there.

If Super was sounded the same way OPM does, the show would still have its significant flaws, but it would be a force to be reckoned with. And if DBZ was sounded like OPM, with the same music, it would be even more legendary. DBZ sounds were better, though, so no real complaints on that end from me.

Two of the biggest mood killer examples in Super thus far, for me:

First, the terrible punch sound effects and utter lack of blood and damage when Vegeta is massacring Black. I couldn't get involved in it fully like I could with Vegeta's Final Flash vs. Cell, for example. It was cool and all, but it was missing those hard hits and any sense of Vegeta's damage doing anything to Black.

Second, Goku powering up KKx10 vs. Hit. This was so awesome, on par with Z for sure...until the fight restarted, the absolutely corny intro music came in, Goku lands a straight on punch to the face of Hit, who was on par with or even slightly less powerful than SSB, Goku then tells us straight up that Hit only improved without power increase, and he takes the hit like nothing, AND with a stupid sound effect. The fight was ruined for me at that moment, until Goku hits him into the tournament back drop and he goes down hard.

I've learned to quell my distastes with the show in the same way I quell my ideas on how my favorite band's songs could be improved when I first hear a new album. Just sit back and enjoy what's good, you can't change it, sadly. Maybe someone years down the road will pick up the shows and do them justice.
Last edited by avasatu on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:18 pm

While Super is definitely deficient in these respects, I can't be too upset about it because we know from the RoF Movie that it could be so much worse! Compared to that movie, Super isn't doing so bad in regards to choreography and "weight" at all.
Retired.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Shuby wrote:After watching this short clips i realize what's missing in Super, a proper build-up and the sense that your kicks and punches have weight to them even the sounds when your kicks and fists clash is really something that is downgraded and laughable really compared to it's predecessors.
The reason Super lacks so much compared to what came before it and even other shows is because of how rushed it was which according to some users here, is still suffering from it even though we're almost 100 episodes in. Toei also works on a lot of projects at the same time which doesn't help things cause their top employees are spread too thin.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:37 am

I agree mostly with avasatu, but quite disagree about Faulconer's music. I can live without it.

What I miss from previous series that are not always in Super is the obnoxiously loud and very cartoonish sound effects, the dark and atmospheric music, the large-scale destruction of the environment, the damage impact that is sometimes missing in the fights (i.e. we see a character taking a swing at another but the scene cuts to when the character was already hit), and battle damage with blood. Such things used to immerse me into the series and added to how brutal they could get. Picture if Freeza's cold-blooded beating of Vegeta in Namek was reanimated in Super. Now, as I mentioned above, it's not like Super is completely devoid of any of that as they have appeared every now and then, but their reduced prominence (along with the lighter and softer approach in general) takes away from the show's gritty tone.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:13 am

Torturephile wrote:I agree mostly with avasatu, but quite disagree about Faulconer's music. I can live without it.

What I miss from previous series that are not always in Super is the obnoxiously loud and very cartoonish sound effects, the dark and atmospheric music, the large-scale destruction of the environment, the damage impact that is sometimes missing in the fights (i.e. we see a character taking a swing at another but the scene cuts to when the character was already hit), and battle damage with blood. Such things used to immerse me into the series and added to how brutal they could get. Picture if Freeza's cold-blooded beating of Vegeta in Namek was reanimated in Super. Now, as I mentioned above, it's not like Super is completely devoid of any of that as they have appeared every now and then, but their reduced prominence (along with the lighter and softer approach in general) takes away from the show's gritty tone.

This!
The biggest problem I have with super is that it became to tame and mellow for my liking.
It's missing all of the above.
I miss the seriousness and urgency and passion that was so prominent in Z when things went down the gutter.
Now the whole universe is at stake, and they are like "oh well, Goku will fix it, no prob" and they'll go their merry way.
Super toned down a whole lot to make it more suitable for young kids . but I grew up with DBZ when I was 13 and it was my favourite anime back then.
Now I am at an age where super feels too much like a little kid show to me, and I'm not really pulled into it any more. (in other words, I became too old for this show)
It's a shame because I thought things went the right way with the "Future Trunks" saga, but now I don't really feel like watching it any more. :cry: