Why does "my boy" Boo keep getting screwed?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Why does "my boy" Boo keep getting screwed?

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 1:36 pm

I'm not a fan of villains coming back to life constantly in general. Seeing Freeza come back once (or twice) was fine, but this is overkill.

Buu should have just stayed dead if I knew this was going to happen.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Mon May 08, 2017 2:05 pm

Buu will play a huge role later on in the series. He's a character that is getting more popular as time goes on. They teased us with the basil fight and skinny buu..i personally love it. He's too op to be in this tournament anyways...save him for later.

RalfHookman

Post by RalfHookman » Mon May 08, 2017 2:18 pm

This is me every time I get hyped for my boy Buu doing something and generally when I'm deceived by Toriyama and Toei.

For crying out loud! Why did they even bother with making so many promotional materials with Buu!? To screw him again?
They even drew him in a business suit! For the Kaio-sama's sake!

They obviously don't know what to do with him because of his powers. It feels like Sailor Saturn and Sailor Pluto in Sailor Moon Sailor Stars final episodes. Getting short end of the stick! They simply cannot find an interesting way for him. Why don't add some restrictions to the rules to make Buu less over-powered!? Instead, let's just make him sleep again! Despite he can sleep for like 2 seconds and be full of energy! And this is CANON.

With every such situations in DBS I feel like my gust are deteriorating and I'm developing a tumor.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Oh right, it provokes me to make fun of this series. And jokes.
julianix wrote:Buu will play a huge role later on in the series. He's a character that is getting more popular as time goes on. They teased us with the basil fight and skinny buu..i personally love it. He's too op to be in this tournament anyways...save him for later.
I really hope you are right, sir. You actually gave me some hope. Thank you very much!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 2:39 pm

It just makes me sick. I'm bothered by Buu getting screwed, Yamcha getting treated worse than ever, and the lack of them doing anything with Trunks/Goten. At least the latter two I think will be redeemed once we get a timeskip to EOZ, but the others are screwed.

Don't the writers realize the emotional toll and turmoil this causes fans? Some of us are having mental breakdowns over the news. People don't like seeing their favorite characters treated poorly. It's like, "battered-wife syndrome."

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Mon May 08, 2017 2:53 pm

precita wrote:It just makes me sick.

Don't the writers realize the emotional toll and turmoil this causes fans? Some of us are having mental breakdowns over the news. People don't like seeing their favorite characters treated poorly. It's like, "battered-wife syndrome."

If people are actually having mental breakdowns or getting physically sick over this, (you even said you threw up? I don't know if you were kidding.), then maybe the problem is something different and I don't think it's necessarily the show. This all just seems like a giant overreaction even if Freeza is your most hated character of all time.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 08, 2017 2:55 pm

precita wrote:Don't the writers realize the emotional toll and turmoil this causes fans? Some of us are having mental breakdowns over the news. People don't like seeing their favorite characters treated poorly. It's like, "battered-wife syndrome."
Okay, let's dial it back for a moment. This is animated show about weird looking punching the shit out of each-other. Dragon Ball is not some holy and sacred text that any changes to it will lead to mass hysteria. Yes, it's not nice to see certain character getting the shaft but people are really overreacting to this new. Some fans are treating this shift in Dragon Ball Super's future plot-line like as if God himself has been provided definitive proof that the tales told in the Bible never happened Bible. People really need to relax over this and at least see how it plays out before we pass judgement.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon May 08, 2017 3:07 pm

precita wrote:It just makes me sick. I'm bothered by Buu getting screwed, Yamcha getting treated worse than ever, and the lack of them doing anything with Trunks/Goten. At least the latter two I think will be redeemed once we get a timeskip to EOZ, but the others are screwed.

Please tell me your joking....right? Sorry I do not care how much you "love" a fictional universe and its characters, the moment people start having "mental breakdowns" and "being physically sick" over such things then they have problems of a far realer nature. That may sound harsh but its true.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon May 08, 2017 3:54 pm

It's pretty obvious at this point that Mr.Toriyama doesn't want to write Mr.Boo and he never planned for it. Remember, shortly after Mr.Boo joined the good guys the manga ended. Even after all these years he didn't change his mind.
The gag that he falls asleep at such inconvenient times is an excuse to avoid including him.

I have to give kudos for the commitment to the gag, it's the last time it will work but damn..., Mr.Toriyama got us good! :clap:

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Mon May 08, 2017 4:06 pm

Boo's too hax, so he either gets nerfed immensely like Meta Knight or removed from the roster altogether like Solid Snake.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon May 08, 2017 5:09 pm

I wished they had killed off Buu and never brought him back. I never liked the fat buu.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Yes, I'm exaggerating a bit how I feel about this bait and switch, but I do feel a little physically ill over it. I've got a headache today and feel like I have a cold. It didn't happen till the news broke out and I had a day and night to think of it.
MagmonKai wrote:I wished they had killed off Buu and never brought him back. I never liked the fat buu.
Fat Buu has always been fun to watch because of his comical nature and unique abilities. That's what made his initial debut of a villain seem so refreshing from the typical evil characters we had up to that point.

Although at this point I am wondering what the point of keeping Buu around was.

Overlord78
Beyond Newbie

Post by Overlord78 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:18 pm

All this confirms to me is that Toriyama doesn't care about Buu. Falling asleep and missing important fights not once, not twice but THREE times screams lazy writing.

It would have been better if Buu completely died at the end of Buu arc as Toriyama clearly doesn't know what to do with the character other than treating him as a joke.
Last edited by Overlord78 on Mon May 08, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Mon May 08, 2017 6:19 pm

They probably try to test the waters and try new stuff.
Bring back bad guys and have them work with our friends fro funny interactions.
I really enjoy these new ideas. Unfortunately, in terms of character development, Buu can't provide anything due to him be a kid in mind

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Mon May 08, 2017 6:21 pm

MainJPW wrote:Boo's too hax, so he either gets nerfed immensely like Meta Knight or removed from the roster altogether like Solid Snake.
But the thing is, Buu's crazy regeneration capabilities won't matter that much when he can get disqualified for getting out of the ring. Even if AK and Toei doesn't know how to handle the character, the rules of the tournament should make that easier than ever. I mean, is really harder than making Roshi a worthwile addition to the team?.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Chuquita wrote:It's frustrating to think Cell's being held back only by his spots being difficult to animate.
I wouldn't belive that was the case at all. I just think Toriyama sees Freeza as a more interesting and entertaining character to write for. Hence when he has officially brought him back to life for a second time. And on this occasion, I think it's gonna be a permanent. But if it's not... then... wow. Toriyama really does not care for Majin Boo at all.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon May 08, 2017 6:48 pm

With the fight they gave Buu in the exhibition match and him becoming "Fit Buu" I was really excited to see more of him.

Couldn't Roshi or Tien have been replaced in stead?

Off Topic but I love the whole "my boy" thing you have going on with thread titles, it's find it hilariously endearing :lol:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon May 08, 2017 7:07 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Off Topic but I love the whole "my boy" thing you have going on with thread titles, it's find it hilariously endearing :lol:
Yeah I find those memes hilarious,I wonder how it got originated it
    is sad to see Buu is missing out of the fun and replaced by frieza wank, but Don't worry krillin and gohan is gonna whoop some ass in the tournament, trust me both of them are going to get far in this and roshi is going to rekt cauli by doing the puff puff, and please show us the nose bleed and a very sexy shot of cauli
    Mostly active on discord.

precita
    Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 7:50 pm

The gr wrote: Off Topic but I love the whole "my boy" thing you have going on with thread titles, it's find it hilariously endearing :lol:Yeah I find those memes hilarious,I wonder how it got originated it
    Pretty sure the "my boy" meme started by Gohan and Vegeta fans complaining their characters were sidelined or treated poorly. A lot of people are most passionate about Gohan and Vegeta after Goku since they see them as the #2 and #3 most important characters to the franchise respectively, so if they're treated badly people call them "my boy" and wonder why they're being screwed.

I've also seen Piccolo fans use the "my boy" meme a few times. Now we can simply use it for any character being screwed.

Steven Bloodriver
    I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Mon May 08, 2017 7:58 pm

Those cracking the whip from overseas must really like Frieza more than Mr. Buu.

SaiyanGod117
    Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:46 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
    precita wrote:It just makes me sick.

If people are actually having mental breakdowns or getting physically sick over this, (you even said you threw up? I don't know if you were kidding.), then maybe the problem is something different and I don't think it's necessarily the show. This all just seems like a giant overreaction even if Freeza is your most hated character of all time.
    I laughed for a good 7 minutes off this. But I think Buu will get some action after this tournament maybe.