Why does "my boy" Boo keep getting screwed?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why does "my boy" Boo keep getting screwed?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:The real question is why have so many threads been sayin "my boy" so mockingly
This is the real question. Are we supposed to be making fun of how some people talk or something? I ain't getting the joke. I legit use the expression too, so what's the issue?
Seriously. I say it too. It's a way of showing affection for characters you like, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue May 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Seriously. I say it too. It's a way of showing affection for characters you like, I don't see anything wrong with that.
It's a phrase I've noted creeping up suddenly and aggressively since the series returned, and while, yes, I get that it's slang that exists outside of Dragon Ball and offers a convenient shorthand for saying "This character who I like," it attached itself with alarming speed to excitement and complaints almost wholly regarding character strength and screentime, which I don't think it would be too novel to call out as two of the most juvenile and tiresome ways to interact with the series or focus discussion.

So yeah, everything it could act as shorthand for in terms of fandom reaction is right up there with the fixation on Gohan's bang in terms of ridiculous trends we've seen since the series' revival.

It's a term I wouldn't blink at in non-Dragon Ball contexts, but I brace for impact when I encounter it in DB-related settings at this point. I think the event that really broke me was the sea of "My boy Gohan! He has the bang! Is my boy training again?" comments that flooded in on both YouTube and Reddit after episode 67, to the exclusion of almost anything else that happened that week. Though that's partially my fault for wandering into those areas in the first place. But yeah; it's become this shorthand for single-minded character-cheerleading that's just exhausting to wade through at this point. And yes, there was a lot of talk about people's boys Piccolo and Vegeta getting screwed when the Universe 6 arc was airing. A lot of talk. Enough that even very collected and restrained mod Ajay was on board for a parody thread. (Though I didn't realize at the time how synonymous "my boy" was going to become with those types of reactions; I actually didn't think twice about using it while making that thread.)

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue May 09, 2017 11:26 pm

I think some people are overreacting with Buu being kicked out the team (apparently), but I understand why. He's been a member of two teams for two tournaments, but he's been removed from both tournaments because he fell asleep.

The one thing that softens this is the fact that Buu already got a fight in this arc. Because he has already contributed to the story, no matter how small it may have been, he has already done more than he did in the previous tournament arc. I previously said that I would have been satisfied if that exhibition match was all he was going to get, and I still am. The only problem is that they keep using the same stupid excuse over and over again to sideline him. I also recently realized that they woke him up with chocolate earlier in this arc, so it's technically the fourth time they've used this excuse. It's dumb and lazy.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Wed May 10, 2017 2:08 am

I really hope they do give Buu a spotlight eventually, if not this arc then one of the next ones. The way they've been treating him just feels unjust.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 10, 2017 4:08 am

MajinMan wrote:I think some people are overreacting with Buu being kicked out the team (apparently), but I understand why. He's been a member of two teams for two tournaments, but he's been removed from both tournaments because he fell asleep.

The one thing that softens this is the fact that Buu already got a fight in this arc. Because he has already contributed to the story, no matter how small it may have been, he has already done more than he did in the previous tournament arc. I previously said that I would have been satisfied if that exhibition match was all he was going to get, and I still am. The only problem is that they keep using the same stupid excuse over and over again to sideline him. I also recently realized that they woke him up with chocolate earlier in this arc, so it's technically the fourth time they've used this excuse. It's dumb and lazy.
It's not a stupid excuse. It's a running gag to show how undependable Buu is. And think it's hilarious at this point because of the whole "again!" aspect.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Wed May 10, 2017 10:25 am

Kind of a bummer. I was looking forward to see him in tournament. :(

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Wed May 10, 2017 12:43 pm

I can understand people compiling about Buu, but Yamcha? OK, lol. Yamcha failed the moment he got killed by a saibamen, and after that point he was useless. Even Krillin and Tien showed more impressive things then him.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed May 10, 2017 1:59 pm

buutenks wrote:I can understand people compiling about Buu, but Yamcha? OK, lol. Yamcha failed the moment he got killed by a saibamen, and after that point he was useless. Even Krillin and Tien showed more impressive things then him.
Yamcha is one of the most popular characters in the series. He always outranks Tien and Cell in Japanese character polls.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Wed May 10, 2017 5:11 pm

precita wrote:
buutenks wrote:I can understand people compiling about Buu, but Yamcha? OK, lol. Yamcha failed the moment he got killed by a saibamen, and after that point he was useless. Even Krillin and Tien showed more impressive things then him.
Yamcha is one of the most popular characters in the series. He always outranks Tien and Cell in Japanese character polls.
Oh, odd why do people like him so much?I mean throughout Z he barely does anything. Maybe because of events in Dragon Ball?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 10, 2017 6:37 pm

precita wrote:
He outranked Tien by one slot in the Dragon Ball Forever poll.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed May 10, 2017 8:11 pm

buutenks wrote:
Oh, odd why do people like him so much?I mean throughout Z he barely does anything. Maybe because of events in Dragon Ball?
He's been in Dragonball since the very first arc, even pre-dates Krillin as Goku's first male human friend, and is around as fighter for the entire series up to the end of the Cell arc. It's really only the Buu saga that he is retired from fighting.

So prior to Super, Yamcha was around for 70% of Dragonball/DBZ's run as one of the major characters. He gets almost as many fights as any of the other humans do in DBZ. I think people often forget how little fighting Krillin does after the Freeza arc, and most of the fights he gets like his battle against Imperfect Cell was Toei filler.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Thu May 11, 2017 1:22 pm

Goku should threaten to kill him if he falls asleep again when they need him. Or maybe Beerus should be the one to do it.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri May 12, 2017 6:38 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Like why even advertise him in the first place? It's basically the Champa arc all over again. And if the Zen Exhibition Matches aren't in the manga, then that really shows how much Toriyama doesn't really care for the character. Because even if Majin Boo doesn't compete, at least Toei were willing to throw him a bone and reminds the fans just what he's truly capable of in combat.
Because their just trying to throw people off on who the true finial tenth member of the team was going to be. Was the way they did it good? Nah.

They could definitely have done it better, and I will admit they did kind of reference Buu falling asleep with him snoozing in Boogie Back while everyone got awesome moments.

But I would have preferred that they never actually showed off Buu in the first place. Build up hype for who the finial member of the team would be, but I can kind of see why they would do it as Freeza and Buu's physique are both at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

But, they could have just not shown off the tenth member of the team. And when Freeza finally shows up they could have an edited version of the Opening, and Boogie Back. And, for why Buu is constantly, and consistently getting shafted well it's because Toriyama has no interest in writing him. He's getting the Oolong treatment.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Fri May 12, 2017 8:50 am

precita wrote:
buutenks wrote:
He's been in Dragonball since the very first arc, even pre-dates Krillin as Goku's first male human friend, and is around as fighter for the entire series up to the end of the Cell arc. It's really only the Buu saga that he is retired from fighting.

So prior to Super, Yamcha was around for 70% of Dragonball/DBZ's run as one of the major characters. He gets almost as many fights as any of the other humans do in DBZ. I think people often forget how little fighting Krillin does after the Freeza arc, and most of the fights he gets like his battle against Imperfect Cell was Toei filler.
I think u mean DB, cos after he got killed by the saibamen, he never fought again. Unless u count being nearly killed by Dr Gero a fight or getting crushed by a Cell Jr.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 12, 2017 9:14 am

buutenks wrote:
precita wrote:
buutenks wrote:

I think u mean DB, cos after he got killed by the saibamen, he never fought again. Unless u count being nearly killed by Dr Gero a fight or getting crushed by a Cell Jr.
If you count filler, he fought the Ginyu Force on King Kai's planet and some guy (can't for the life of me remember his name) in the Other World.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Fri May 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
buutenks wrote:
precita wrote:

If you count filler, he fought the Ginyu Force on King Kai's planet and some guy (can't for the life of me remember his name) in the Other World.

Ye, but I was mostly talking about how Toriyama just wrote them as weak compared to the aliens. And I think his name was Olibu(?).

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 12, 2017 1:18 pm

buutenks wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
buutenks wrote:

Ye, but I was mostly talking about how Toriyama just wrote them as weak compared to the aliens. And I think his name was Olibu(?).
Oh yeah. Toriyama definitely had characters like Yamcha hit a brick wall far too soon. If anything, Super is making up for how much the supporting cast was left behind by having them get much stronger through training. And ironically, the characters who have arguably made the biggest jump in strength have been Krillin and Roshi. Who at their most powerful can hold his own against Base Goku.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 12, 2017 1:35 pm

buutenks wrote: I think u mean DB, cos after he got killed by the saibamen, he never fought again. Unless u count being nearly killed by Dr Gero a fight or getting crushed by a Cell Jr.
Then by this logic Tenshinhan or even Krillin never fought again.

Tenshinhan was dead for the Namek arc like Yamcha was, his only "fight" against Cell's second form consisted holding him down, then he loses to the Cell Jr's like everyone else and fails to stop Buu.

Krillin also never gets a single non-filler fight after the Freeza arc besides the Cell Jr's. Yamcha is not treated much differently than the humans at all.

Xiao Long Li

Post by Xiao Long Li » Mon May 15, 2017 4:45 pm

precita wrote:Yes, I'm exaggerating a bit how I feel about this bait and switch, but I do feel a little physically ill over it. I've got a headache today and feel like I have a cold. It didn't happen till the news broke out and I had a day and night to think of it.
Okay... that's a bit worrisome and here's some advice. It's fine to get invested over a TV show and comics, we all have our hobbies and I happen to take them very seriously myself, but there's a point where it gets unhealthy. Getting even a little physically ill over it might be a sign you need to seek some professional help to sort out your life and keep fictional controversies from hindering your daily routine or ability to function in society, especially at an age over 30. God bless.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 27, 2017 9:52 am

We've now got an explanation for why Majin Boo is waking up. From Herms:
Also, Mr. Satan explains that Buu ordinary only needs to sleep a few seconds, but will sleep for months once he falls into a deep sleep...

Thus explaining that scene in the Buu arc where he sleep for all of five seconds. There, that's one plot hole down.
The expliantion of Majin Boo not waking up actually works very well and it doesn't contradict anything pre-established about the character. It still sucks that Majin Boo is out of the team, but the explanation is satisfactory enough, so I'll let it slide.