What's everyone's thoughts on *SPOILER* ​coming back?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What's everyone's thoughts on *SPOILER* ​coming back?

Post by Deathbringer » Wed May 10, 2017 2:24 pm

HeroR wrote:
Deathbringer wrote:
We may never know the full story of what's happening behind the scenes but it's either that Toei/Shueisha are asking him to bring back things that people have nostalgia for so they can market them or he just thinks he needs to do that himself because he thinks that's what the fans want. I'm well aware that Toriyama wrote Resurrection F, that's why Freeza was so in-character in that movie, but with this there's no way they can get him to work with Goku without having to ruin his character in the process. I'm not saying change is a bad thing I'm saying he used to be a better writer when he was making it up as he went along every week under the pressure of an editor and a time limit, back when he actively went against what the fans wanted. Now he's re-hashing Freeza's character 3 times in the space of 2 years. He's changing, but not growing.

Overall I still love things like expanding the lore of the gods and the other universes, I just feel that there are some things in the modern stuff that go against what made the series so great.
Why do you think Toei/Shueisha are asking for Freeza back when Toriyama did it himself and wrote Resurrection 'F'. And he is still going against what fans want given the salt in this thread and others. He did the same thing when he brought Vegetto back with a time limit and how he took out Buu for the Champa Saga. He's even more of a troll now.
I know that Toriyama wrote Resurrection F from the ground up to include Freeza but it didn't stop it from feeling like a very un-Toriyama thing to do, even if there were enjoyable things in the movie itself. When I said going against what fans wanted I meant things like killing off Vegeta on Namek, having the final enemy be a pink bubblegum genie or making Gohan a superhero, stuff that was unexpected but works well, giving Vegetto a time limit wasn't really that, it was basically just explaining something that didn't make sense before, taking Boo out of the tournament was kinda that but it didn't have a satisfying enough payoff it just left him out of the arc and that was it.

Overall I think there are decisions being made with the various elements of the modern storylines that feel like either Toei/Shueisha are requesting him to do certain things for each arc or Toriyama is trying to please the fans way too hard by giving them what he thinks they want, I don't like the sound of either of those scenarios, even if the latter is coming from well-meaning intentions.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Deathbringer wrote: I know that Toriyama wrote Resurrection F from the ground up to include Freeza but it didn't stop it from feeling like a very un-Toriyama thing to do, even if there were enjoyable things in the movie itself. When I said going against what fans wanted I meant things like killing off Vegeta on Namek, having the final enemy be a pink bubblegum genie or making Gohan a superhero, stuff that was unexpected but works well, giving Vegetto a time limit wasn't really that, it was basically just explaining something that didn't make sense before, taking Boo out of the tournament was kinda that but it didn't have a satisfying enough payoff it just left him out of the arc and that was it.

Overall I think there are decisions being made with the various elements of the modern storylines that feel like either Toei/Shueisha are requesting him to do certain things for each arc or Toriyama is trying to please the fans way too hard by giving them what he thinks they want, I don't like the sound of either of those scenarios, even if the latter is coming from well-meaning intentions.
If he wanted to please fans, Buu would be fighting. And Vegetto defused early too, Trunks' timeline went boom, and he didn't join the main cast.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:42 am

buutenks wrote:TBH, I think it would be so much more interesting with Freeza there, compared to Buu. Buu doesn't even talk much, he's like the Hulk, me smash, me beat you etc. Where with Freeza u got all the potential interactions. It will be fun. And I don't understand how people think RoF the movie is bad, sure the retelling of RoF was bad apart from an episode. But the movie itself was good.
That's more or less my stance on it. Buu just isn't a very interesting character whereas the RoF film at least demonstrated that there's still a lot of enjoyment to be had from the presence of a villain like Frieza.

Super's version of RoF was of course absolutely horrid and I can't say I'm especially confident in Toei's staff, but there's definitiely some potential here.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu May 11, 2017 1:32 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
buutenks wrote:TBH, I think it would be so much more interesting with Freeza there, compared to Buu. Buu doesn't even talk much, he's like the Hulk, me smash, me beat you etc. Where with Freeza u got all the potential interactions. It will be fun. And I don't understand how people think RoF the movie is bad, sure the retelling of RoF was bad apart from an episode. But the movie itself was good.
That's more or less my stance on it. Buu just isn't a very interesting character whereas the RoF film at least demonstrated that there's still a lot of enjoyment to be had from the presence of a villain like Frieza.

Super's version of RoF was of course absolutely horrid and I can't say I'm especially confident in Toei's staff, but there's definitiely some potential here.
I wouldn't worry too much, they shouldn't be screwing this up, this arc had great fights overall, it's definitely 2 steps up from previous content, probably because of Toyotaro's greater involvement ..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu May 11, 2017 2:03 am

Marlowe89 wrote:

I honestly think RoF in general is a pretty lousy story, both in the movie and the show. Toriyama's entire reason for bringing Freeza back in the first place was obviously just to satisfy fans (and Toei) by bringing back the franchise's most iconic villain.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu May 11, 2017 2:04 am

It's not confirmed that Freeza will take Buu's spot.
Kakarot has to get an answer from him.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu May 11, 2017 2:24 am

Miracles wrote:It's not confirmed that Freeza will take Buu's spot.
"Kakarot" dosen't have enough time to recruit someone else, from a story point of view it's clear freeza is a part
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
"Kakarot" dosen't have enough time to recruit someone else, from a story point of view it's clear freeza is a part
Freeza says no. Everyone panics then Buu magically wakes up.... Sorted.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu May 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Got a strong feeling the Universe Survival arc will do for Resurrection F, what Alien Covenant is doing for Prometheus.

While I love both films, they had inherent flaws. RF is my favorite DB movie but I cannot deny that its 3rd act is a bit of a mess while Prometheus had great ideas but lacked focus, had poor choices (especially in regards to a lot of key scenes being cut or not filmed) and arrogance on Ridly's part.

While this new marital dose not fix those inherent problems it dose give them a bit more value and allows for their ideas carried on in a better way.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu May 11, 2017 12:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
I, personally am rooting for jiren showing up out of nowhere giving goku a blowjob and their mouth baby competing instead..
To each their own I suppose..

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu May 11, 2017 12:41 pm

He'll say yes, with a twist of he gets a wish if they win, Goku's been tricking people left and right just for them to participate, the same applies with Freeza. He'll BS his way into having him join.
Lord Frieza wrote:Got a strong feeling the Universe Survival arc will do for Resurrection F, what Alien Covenant is doing for Prometheus.

While I love both films, they had inherent flaws. RF is my favorite DB movie but I cannot deny that its 3rd act is a bit of a mess while Prometheus had great ideas but lacked focus, had poor choices (especially in regards to a lot of key scenes being cut or not filmed) and arrogance on Ridly's part.

While this new marital dose not fix those inherent problems it dose give them a bit more value and allows for their ideas carried on in a better way.
So what team in particular are you rooting for now? U11 or U7?
Ki Breaker wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: "Kakarot" dosen't have enough time to recruit someone else, from a story point of view it's clear freeza is a part
I, personally am rooting for jiren showing up out of nowhere giving goku a blowjob and their mouth baby competing instead..
What. The. Fuck?

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Thu May 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: "Kakarot" dosen't have enough time to recruit someone else, from a story point of view it's clear freeza is a part
Well that was homo erotic as fuck?

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu May 11, 2017 1:28 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:Got a strong feeling the Universe Survival arc will do for Resurrection F, what Alien Covenant is doing for Prometheus.

So what team in particular are you rooting for now? U11 or U7?
I as the rules I set up stated I am Universe 11 all the way. However unless Frieza fights a U11 fighter theres nothing wrong with me cheering him on is there?

My Jiren is a warrior of true justice, Frieza's got no chance against that! How ever I am worried, I have had this premonition that in-spite of his new power Goku cannot beat Jiren....until Frieza shoots him in the back.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu May 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Lord Frieza wrote: I as the rules I set up stated I am Universe 11 all the way. However unless Frieza fights a U11 fighter theres nothing wrong with me cheering him on is there?

My Jiren is a warrior of true justice, Frieza's got no chance against that! How ever I am worried, I have had this premonition that in-spite of his new power Goku cannot beat Jiren....until Frieza shoots him in the back.
So you suggest a throwback to the sorbet scene? Goku down on his knees infront of Jiren, and Freeza Sorbet's Jiren's ass and tells Goku "Naive monkey" so Freeza saves their universe.... I can live with that.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu May 11, 2017 1:59 pm

SansrivaaL wrote: What. The. Fuck?
MagmonKai wrote: Well that was homo erotic as fuck?
What? he's the perfect competitor..
How you even gonna ring out that? Pick it up with your hands and throw it?
SansrivaaL wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote: I as the rules I set up stated I am Universe 11 all the way. However unless Frieza fights a U11 fighter theres nothing wrong with me cheering him on is there?

So you suggest a throwback to the sorbet scene? Goku down on his knees infront of Jiren, and Freeza Sorbet's Jiren's ass and tells Goku "Naive monkey" so Freeza saves their universe.... I can live with that.
This is a great way to go about it..
If freeza is returning I see him lasting till the end, there is no way he won't, they wouldn't bother bringing him back otherwise..

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:15 pm

HeroR wrote:

I feel the need to point out that his old, harsher editor loved Resurrection 'F'. You know, the movie that fans love the crap on.

Then there truly is no hope
Ki Breaker wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
Well, guess we're going from Saturday Morning anime block show, to now a full on hentai. :D

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:
IF the Freeza thing is seriously going to be a card that is pulled to spice things up, then I'll accept it for what it is -- because what else can we do? Drop the series?
To qoute Obummer: "Yes, we can."
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu May 11, 2017 2:25 pm

About freeza, Vegeta had plenty kill Goku mojo during namek saga but a larger threat kind of got them working individually towards the same goal, which was killing freeza, now freeza having the same dynamic with goku towards the same goal is what I am expecting to see, it would be pretty neat if they pull it off like that

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu May 11, 2017 3:43 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:

There is also some set up for that idea. Remember they cannot sense the ki of the other universes fighters.

Frieza could charge up a full power Death Beam and Jiren would be none the wiser.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Thu May 11, 2017 7:49 pm

Who would you guys rather have: Freeza or Goku Black on the team? Both are unreliable deadly allies. But if you had to have a warrior which would you choose and why? I'd probably pick Freeza since he's not a that crazy, and has some respect for those stronger. Goku Black would just keep getting zenkai boosts from Jiren and become so unstoppable after the tournament. He'd be a scary guy to have to fight again.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu May 11, 2017 7:53 pm

MagmonKai wrote:Who would you guys rather have: Freeza or Goku Black on the team? Both are unreliable deadly allies. But if you had to have a warrior which would you choose and why? I'd probably pick Freeza since he's not a that crazy, and has some respect for those stronger. Goku Black would just keep getting zenkai boosts from Jiren and become so unstoppable after the tournament. He'd be a scary guy to have to fight again.
Since Goku Black was killed along with Zamasu in another timeline don't see how brining him back would even be feasible but than again some dumb plot element could be introduced. I would say Freeza would be a safer bet regardless. However if Goku Black was brought back than Zeno could wipe him out after the tournament again for dumb plot reasons.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/