So we gonna ignore the fact Tenshinhan got trashed??

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Re: So we gonna ignore the fact Tenshinhan got trashed??

Post by Arg » Fri May 12, 2017 8:47 am

MainJPW wrote:It's not like Tenshinhan was aiming to seriously harm him or anything, I think it's just a low showing with a high amount of plot induced stupidity which is nothing new, it happens all the time in comics.

He'll look better in episode 90.
batistabus wrote:My PC answer:
Goku stated that Kame-sen'nin has been secretly training all this time, and surely must have surpassed at least Kuririn as well.
Even if Roshi is somehow stronger than Tenshinhan, that wouldn't mean he's stronger than Kuririn who had a far more impressive showing against Goku.

Roshi was taken out by Base Goku pretty easily. He may have been under someone's control in order to bring out his full power but Goku still didn't feel the need to transform to defeat him.

Meanwhile Kuririn dominated Base Gohan without really trying. Then he technically defeated Goku in a tournament setting. He was also more than a match for Base Goku, forcing him to transform into SSJ with his attacks.

Roshi being stronger would also heavily conflict with the synopsis for the arc which refers to Kuririn as the strongest Earthling.
Technically defeated? The guy almost fainted, you can't even coun't it as a technical win without including 18.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Fri May 12, 2017 9:00 am

MainJPW wrote:It's not like Tenshinhan was aiming to seriously harm him or anything, I think it's just a low showing with a high amount of plot induced stupidity which is nothing new, it happens all the time in comics.

He'll look better in episode 90.
batistabus wrote:My PC answer:
Goku stated that Kame-sen'nin has been secretly training all this time, and surely must have surpassed at least Kuririn as well.
Even if Roshi is somehow stronger than Tenshinhan, that wouldn't mean he's stronger than Kuririn who had a far more impressive showing against Goku.

Roshi was taken out by Base Goku pretty easily. He may have been under someone's control in order to bring out his full power but Goku still didn't feel the need to transform to defeat him.

Meanwhile Kuririn dominated Base Gohan without really trying. Then he technically defeated Goku in a tournament setting. He was also more than a match for Base Goku, forcing him to transform into SSJ with his attacks.

Roshi being stronger would also heavily conflict with the synopsis for the arc which refers to Kuririn as the strongest Earthling.
Kuririn didn't dominate base Gohan, the truth is that Gohan and Goku were only testing Kuririn's limits nothing else. The only thing that Kuririn showed was his experience as a warrior and how smart he can be in a Bukokai type tournament to outsmart his opponents.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Fri May 12, 2017 9:14 am

Arg wrote: Technically defeated? The guy almost fainted, you can't even coun't it as a technical win without including 18.
A technical win against a base form Goku is what I meant, Kuririn almost blew Goku off the arena and the dude had to transform just to stop it from happening.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri May 12, 2017 10:05 am

Tenshinhan isn't necessarily weaker than Roshi. He could have underestimated him and been caught off guard, and Roshi also had a power boost from the magic.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Fri May 12, 2017 7:35 pm

It was a poorly written episode thats written by Toei the same guys who wrote Yajorobi beating Krillin in training before the Sayain arc, the same writers who wrote Yamcha beating Krillin before the Cell games.

Toei writers and animators are random dudes each week that dont know the source material. Just given story boards.

Episode 90 could have Tenshinhan going toe to toe with Mystic Gohan and defeating Piccolo and then more questions will arise.

Roshi wont be able to fly or power up Ki. Which will make 89 bullshit. The real test will be the tournament which will follow Akiras storyline. These build up episodes have been filler and guess work by Toei. With more visual pleasing fights than actual ones that make sense.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 12, 2017 8:24 pm

JulianStyles wrote:It was a poorly written episode thats written by Toei the same guys who wrote Yajorobi beating Krillin in training before the Sayain arc, the same writers who wrote Yamcha beating Krillin before the Cell games.

Toei writers and animators are random dudes each week that dont know the source material. Just given story boards.

Episode 90 could have Tenshinhan going toe to toe with Mystic Gohan and defeating Piccolo and then more questions will arise.

Roshi wont be able to fly or power up Ki. Which will make 89 bullshit. The real test will be the tournament which will follow Akiras storyline. These build up episodes have been filler and guess work by Toei. With more visual pleasing fights than actual ones that make sense.
Dragon Ball Super Episode #89 was written by Fukushima Yoshifumi. Fukushima was not involved in the writing of the first three Dragon Ball animated series. In fact, none of the writers for the aforementioned first three series have worked on Dragon Ball Super. Also, Toei Animation does not have in-house writers. In fact, no animation production studio has in-house writers, they pull in freelance writers whom producers or directors are familiar with based upon previous projects.

Storyboards are created after scripts are finished. Both the scripting and storyboarding process are overseen by the series director. Nagamine Tatsuya and Nakamura Ryouta have conjointly fulfilled this role since Episode #77.

A number of storyboard artists, episode directors and animators who previously worked on the first three cartoon series have worked on Dragon Ball Super. These include Storyboard Artist & Episode Director Imamamura Takahiro, Storyboard Artist & Animator Shida Naotoshi, Animation Supervisor & Key Animator Tate Naoki and Animation Supervisor & Key Animator Shimanuki Masahiro. Chief Animation Supervisors Yamamuro Tadayoshi and Ide Takeo both acted as animation supervisors for Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT.

You may nurture your knowledge of animation via the Kanzenshuu Production Guide and Animation Styles Guide.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri May 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Roshi used his paralysis technique from DB, it probably would have had the same effect on Goku as well.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 12, 2017 11:22 pm

Chiaotzu paralyzed Goku and everyone ignored. So... OH MY GOD! SON GOKU GOT TRASHED! :x
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri May 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Grimlock wrote:Chiaotzu paralyzed Goku and everyone ignored. So... OH MY GOD! SON GOKU GOT TRASHED! :x
Dude, that's true! Back in the Saiyan arc, he couldn't even hold Nappa! And now he can hold Goku, who is like, at least 599.99 Nappa by now!

Humans are back, baby.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat May 13, 2017 1:01 am

Shuby wrote:The dude trained since god knows how long, and simply gets trashed by Muten Roshi??! I only have one reaction to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHQ5GCqikGc
Didn't He use his Bankoku Shock Surprise Technique?
It's not like he defeated him with a blast or something, it was a special technique.
:clap:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 13, 2017 9:47 am

I'm pretty sure the magic talisman gave him a power/magic-type boost. I mean, Roshi was flying in the air, while he was possessed by Yurin's spell, when he was fighting Tien. And he sure as hell didn't have the ability to fly prior to that. Plus, it was just one punch and Tien got back up like nothing happened. And Roshi only go the upper hand on him by using the Thunder Shock Surprise, which is a special technique, much like Solar Flare and the Evil Containment Wave, you can't really no-sell.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat May 13, 2017 9:58 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I'm pretty sure the magic talisman gave him a power/magic-type boost. I mean, Roshi was flying in the air, while he was possessed by Yurin's spell, when he was fighting Tien. And he sure as hell didn't have the ability to fly prior to that. Plus, it was just one punch and Tien got back up like nothing happened. And Roshi only go the upper hand on him by using the Thunder Shock Surprise, which is a special technique, much like Solar Flare and the Evil Containment Wave, you can't really no-sell.
Krillin used Solar Flare/Distructo Disc on Frieza and it was successful.
Are we going to ignore the fact that Frieza got trashed?? lel.
:clap:

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat May 13, 2017 11:22 am

Yomi wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I'm pretty sure the magic talisman gave him a power/magic-type boost. I mean, Roshi was flying in the air, while he was possessed by Yurin's spell, when he was fighting Tien. And he sure as hell didn't have the ability to fly prior to that. Plus, it was just one punch and Tien got back up like nothing happened. And Roshi only go the upper hand on him by using the Thunder Shock Surprise, which is a special technique, much like Solar Flare and the Evil Containment Wave, you can't really no-sell.
Krillin used Solar Flare/Distructo Disc on Frieza and it was successful.
Are we going to ignore the fact that Frieza got trashed?? lel.
Krillin stronger than Freeza since Z! Confirmed 100% infinite/10 :lol:
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I'm pretty sure the magic talisman gave him a power/magic-type boost.
I've heard this a couple of times, and it would seem plausible, except for when we consider how Goku reacted. He doesn't say "Wow, this magic is really bringing the old man to a new level!, he says that he's impressed by his strength and that Kame-sen'nin must've been training in secret. This implies that Goku thinks that the power is all his own.

Either way, I doubt these events will have any impact on the actual ToP.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 13, 2017 1:04 pm

batistabus wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I'm pretty sure the magic talisman gave him a power/magic-type boost.
I've heard this a couple of times, and it would seem plausible, except for when we consider how Goku reacted. He doesn't say "Wow, this magic is really bringing the old man to a new level!, he says that he's impressed by his strength and that Kame-sen'nin must've been training in secret. This implies that Goku thinks that the power is all his own.

The properties of the talisman and Yurin's spell at the very least gave Roshi some kind of access to unique abilities that he didn't have before, given he suddenly had the ability of flight.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat May 13, 2017 3:15 pm

Either way, the ep was still mostly a filler story. I'm sure Tenshinhan will perform decently well in the tournament.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat May 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
batistabus wrote:

The properties of the talisman and Yurin's spell at the very least gave Roshi some kind of access to unique abilities that he didn't have before, given he suddenly had the ability of flight.
No opinion but just to play devils advocate....why couldnt Roshi train to fly?
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 13, 2017 5:38 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
batistabus wrote: I've heard this a couple of times, and it would seem plausible, except for when we consider how Goku reacted. He doesn't say "Wow, this magic is really bringing the old man to a new level!, he says that he's impressed by his strength and that Kame-sen'nin must've been training in secret. This implies that Goku thinks that the power is all his own.

No opinion but just to play devils advocate....why couldnt Roshi train to fly?
Well, if he could do it, he would have done in during the Resurrection F arc.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat May 13, 2017 11:34 pm

You know this really puts into perspective that people continually forget just how far removed Tenshinhan and the other humans are from the Saiyans. Tenshinhan was never really treated much better than Krillin or even Yamcha in the series, it only seems that way because he had two big moments entirely focused on him (stopping Cell's second form, coming back when Buu appeared), but he still wasn't able to really do anything or stop them.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun May 14, 2017 12:47 am

precita wrote:You know this really puts into perspective that people continually forget just how far removed Tenshinhan and the other humans are from the Saiyans. Tenshinhan was never really treated much better than Krillin or even Yamcha in the series, it only seems that way because he had two big moments entirely focused on him (stopping Cell's second form, coming back when Buu appeared), but he still wasn't able to really do anything or stop them.
He also won the 22nd Tenka'ichi Budokai.