Would the Dragon Ball Super manga be better if it was weekly?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Would the Dragon Ball Super manga be better if it was weekly?

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Doctor. wrote:A month has 4 full weeks. Toriyama only drew 15 pages in the first arc because Dragon Ball was a gag series then but as it evolved into an action series, he started doing 18 pages per week. That's 72 pages in a month.
Not saying you're wrong, but when did this change happen? I'm glancing through several volumes from the Cell Games to the Boo Arc, and most of the chapters seem to be around 15 pages. Most of them are actually a page or two less.
Just checked too and you're right. That's weird, I distinctly remember reading that somewhere, going to check for myself and seeing that the information was true. Guess my memory isn't as good as I thought.

Regardless, 15 pages per week is still 60 pages, which is considerably more than what Toyotaro does.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 pm

The gr wrote: Forced tension because Vegeta had ssb and own maggetta Instead of wasting his time and lossing energy like a bufoon,if they want to make that match more tense,then make vegeta go ssb and have Maggie to be on par with that power
Vegeta said he didn't because he was saving it for Hit.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 20, 2017 9:59 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Yes, and by "adapt", he would have to simplify his art (like he's already been doing with his Super manga) and not put in as much detail into each panel as before. Nobody's saying it's gonna be awful but it's clear that there's going to be a quality drop.
His art panel-to-panel has been looking pretty consistent to me, even some of the most experienced mangaka have simplistic panels. It could be a stylistic choice and the work load can always be reduced with the help of assistants.
If you check his art back at the start of the Black arc and his art now, you'll notice a severe decrease in the number of screentones used, which are now mostly limited to the SSB hair and aura (I think he even stopped coloring Trunks' scarf at some point, but don't quote me on that). That tells us he's already trying to save time, it's the same thing Toriyama started doing after the first arc. It's not a stylistic choice if the rest of his manga shares an overabundance of screentone and stylistic choices can still be made to save time (for example, Toriyama choosing to have Goku's SSJ hair blonde).

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Doctor. wrote: If you check his art back at the start of the Black arc and his art now, you'll notice a severe decrease in the number of screentones used, which are now mostly limited to the SSB hair and aura (I think he even stopped coloring Trunks' scarf at some point, but don't quote me on that). That tells us he's already trying to save time, it's the same thing Toriyama started doing after the first arc. It's not a stylistic choice if the rest of his manga shares an overabundance of screentone and stylistic choices can still be made to save time (for example, Toriyama choosing to have Goku's SSJ hair blonde).
His art looks the exact same to me. I'm trying to notice the difference, but I just don't see it.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 20, 2017 10:22 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Toriyama's partially responsible for the monthly schedule. It gives him longer to come up with ideas for the next arc, and because he hated how stressful writing the original series was, I doubt he would wish that upon Toyotaro. I don't think Toriyama would have the final say in this matter, but I'm sure his opinion would be valued.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 20, 2017 10:29 pm

batistabus wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Toriyama's partially responsible for the monthly schedule. It gives him longer to come up with ideas for the next arc, and because he hated how stressful writing the original series was, I doubt he would wish that upon Toyotaro. I don't think Toriyama would have the final say in this matter, but I'm sure his opinion would be valued.
It doesn't have anything to do with Toriyama. V-Jump is where Toyotaro's manga naturally belonged when it started, and even now, there's no other place where it would fit better,
Retired.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
batistabus wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Toriyama's partially responsible for the monthly schedule. It gives him longer to come up with ideas for the next arc, and because he hated how stressful writing the original series was, I doubt he would wish that upon Toyotaro. I don't think Toriyama would have the final say in this matter, but I'm sure his opinion would be valued.
It doesn't have anything to do with Toriyama. V-Jump is where Toyotaro's manga fit best when it started, and even now, there's no other place where it would fit better,
I understand that V-Jump is in charge, but the Dragon Ball Super manga relies on Toriyama's source material. That, and people tend to respect his opinion when he asserts himself (which doesn't seem to happen extremely often). Shueisha could have just as easily put it in Weekly Jump if they decided to. Either way, I'm just speculating.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 20, 2017 10:37 pm

batistabus wrote:Shueisha could have just as easily put it in Weekly Jump if they decided to.
Technically, they could have. It would just be a really dumb thing to do for the magazine's reputation, as well as a disservice to an original work that missed out because a sequel not even penned by the original creator is in the way.
Retired.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 23, 2017 10:37 am

I think for the purposes of the narrative yes, it would be better. But I also share the same concerns as other do in the thread that the quality of the art, which is Toyotaro's major highlight, would indeed suffer quite a lot.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Tue May 23, 2017 10:54 am

It would be irrelevant since it sucks. Toyataro is doing the same shit as dbgt, that is, everyone is garbage except saiyajins. Furthermore, Toyataro is not good enough to do a manga weekly.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:23 pm

No it wouldn't be better. Toyotaro is under a lot of pressure to meet strict deadlines as it is.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl