The Future Trunks Arc Under a Critical Lens

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: under critical lens - Zamasu arc sucked ass (long read)

Post by Kanassa » Thu May 25, 2017 5:45 pm

Shuby wrote:-SSj Blue Goku's full power Kamehameha overcomes Merged Zamasu's most powerful attack?
Except that doesn't happen. Vegeta and Trunks combined were able to overwhelm Merged Zamasu. But Goku never overwhelms Merged Zamasu, he pierces the center of Merged Zamasu's attack and completely catches him off guard, then proceeds to whip out a move he has never used against Zamasu, which again catches Zamasu by surprise and allows Goku to deliver a powerful blow. By this point Dragon Ball has made a point to show how effective taking an opponent by surprise can be.
-Why is Zamasu not regenerating from it? This mortal body clashing with immortal body shit is fucking nonsense: We've had Roshi consume the elixir of the Immortal Phoenix which at this point is probably a forgotten plot point, we've had King Piccolowish for eternal youth, and we've had both 17 and 18 be able to live forever thanks to the artificial ki generators that Gero outfitted them with...why in fuck's name should immortality granted by the Super Dragon Balls not be compatible with a mortal body
I'm not seeing the contradiction here. Roshi became immortal (In a completely different sense than Zamasu), Piccolo obtained Eternal Youth, and the andorids also basically had eternal youth. What does that have to do with the effects of a mortal and an immortal fusing?
-Present Zamasu's death was very awkward: Beerus catches his hand, it elicits no reaction from Zamasu, there is a slight prolonged zoom in sequence and then he just dies.
Zamasu has a very clear reaction and the zoom is two seconds long to have a moment of suspense on just how Beerus is going to kill Zamasu. And just dies? He gets erased on the spot while screaming his lungs out.
-Gowasu needs to stop saying Zamasu, he literally has no character.
Gowasu has plenty of character, it's just that his character usually goes hand in hand with how trusting and incompetent he is at his job.
Trunks trying to cheer Future Trunks up is so contrived and generic: "You can't protect Mai like this", as if Future Trunks needs your help...you know what he did after he realized he couldn't beat Cell, he got OVER it. Its such a shit attempt to make Trunks relevant.
When Trunks realised he couldn't beat Cell, he gave up and accepted that he was going to die. And Trunks DID need his present self's help, one of his core problems is how much he allows his failures to weigh on him.
-Zamasu dying causes some questions to arise: Kaioshin of U7's Planet of the Kais was in a world above that of the afterlife. When Old Kai died, he was still able to be there, as was Vegeta before Porunga revived him. Zamasu was killed at their home, so why isn't he still there? The fact that he turned "evil" could mean that he doesn't keep his body but I highly doubt Toei or Toriyama remember, not to mention FnF completely fucks that plot point over.
Because Beerus didn't just kill Zamasu, he erased him.
Zamasu and Black are criticizing Trunks for using time travel to change the past, when they themselves killed the gods that upheld that law? Not to mention that its possible that if the time loop shit with Black isn't true, that you USED the Time Ring to travel to the past and kill Goku and his family?
That's the point. The big irony in Zamasu is how much he's resembling the aspects of evil he's on the quest to wash out from the universe. The show is incredibly aware of how hypocritical Zamasu is as even Vegeta and Goku Black point it out. Which makes it even more of a blow to Trunks that these people are daring to put the blame on him after all they've done.
Mai tries to shoot Zamasu after Trunks seemingly defeats Black with the Galick Gun, I can't
I'm not seeing the problem here. Zamasu was about to slice Trunks in half, shooting at him while his guard is down (Which Trunks notes earlier in the same episode) had a chance of distracting him for Trunks to escape. "Hello, could I distract you for just a quick second?"
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Naah...i love this arc it was different than any dragonball arc they done something new...Complex story,Zamasu's motiv and a dark ending never seen before
in Dragonball really liked the soundrack and fights especially shida's animation and everything about Black Goku i know it was not perfect but still overall
a really good & entertaining arc with some problems like every dragonball arc

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu May 25, 2017 7:49 pm

For one, Black being Zamasu was very disappointing considering the hype of this arc and it being the first "mystery" one at that. Despite the story flaws already mentioned, I really think that Genki Dama Sword and retcons here and there took away from the arc. I feel like more is too much in this arc, a lot of unnecessary things like retconning Potara and Zamasu being half immortal. All the time jumps added more confusion as well. I think the hype was so big for this arc that Toei legitamelly went too far over the top with transformations and two face Zamasu etc...

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Shuby wrote:Apparently for all the years he's been watching humanity or lives/creatures. The only conclusion he could come to is that mortals are worth killing. Stupid and unreasonable. How in the f''k do you watch life from thousands of years apparently or heck even hundrends of years. How does one continue to watch life from x amount of years and only come to the conclusion is that mortals are destructive? Has he never noticed the capacity of good? Or did human emotions mean nothing to him? like in u6 they have the nobel peace prize or when Black arrived and saw humans working together to build their civilization. You'd think that would mean something. So yeah his reasons for hating mortals is quite baseless if not weak.
Zamasu does have a point though. There are a plethora of mortal beings in the DB verse that are quite destructive and barbaric in their actions just like how we humans commit harm to each other. Such as Freeza, Saiyans, Babidi, Majin Boo, Gero and Androids, Frost, Universe 9 beings, I can go on and on. A lot of that tend to plague the amount of good left in humanity. It's also considering how the gods themselves are shown to be quite incompetent in their jobs of regulating their universes. Too bad his actions and way of forming a better world make him no better, in fact worse, than the mortals he detests.
Shuby wrote:Especially he starts to hate mortals when he came in contact with the barbarians, of course one would come to conclusion that they are violent, they were primitive creatues. How can someone base their hatred for mortals of a race that is primitive as f''k.
Sorry to break it to you but he hated mortals long before he even met the Barbarians. The Barbarians just added more fuel to Zamasu's hatred of mortals, that's all.
Shuby wrote:Another misstep in his character is Zamasu wanting and having a mortal body named Goku. If you were a racist and let's say hated a particular race, would you wish to become that race? Or like a jew who hated nazi's somehow joined them.
Except when he stole Goku's body, he didn't think that he became a mortal himself. He's still the "supreme god" he proclaimed himself to be, just in a different and more efficient body in combat.
Shuby wrote:Why is SSj Rose a thing? Why is the hair pink? I think it looks cool but why does it exist?
Ever since Zamasu inhabited Goku's body, alterations were made such as Goku Black lean appearance akin to Zamasu's lean physique and Black's dark aura that's similar to Zamasu's. So why is it hard to grasp the fact that his transformation is different than Goku's?
Shuby wrote:How is Trunks faring well against Zamasu and Black, when he's nowhere near their level? Trunks powerup into SSj stage 3 with blue ki highlights is cool but makes no sense, and once again, he's all of a sudden so strong to challenge Black and Zamasu even holding on his own for a while; No explanation for it, of course.
He was nowhere near their level until SSJI (Ikari). Sure SSJ2 Trunks was able to kick SSJR Black (who was off guard btw) and land some good hits on Future Zamasu (who didn't take Trunks very seriously since he was immortal and wanted to show that that Trunks and his attempts were hopeless against him), but that's about it. And he unlocked SSJI through the anguish of learning how he was the one that doomed his people and loved ones.
Shuby wrote:So his reasons for hating mortals doesn't make much sense. Secondly, he keeps refering as what he is doing as "the justice and will of the gods". Yet he ends up killing all the gods that he refers to.
There were only a few lines of that and "justice of gods" refers to his own justice considering how he always proclaimed himself and other self to be the Supreme God needed.
Shuby wrote:Also his dialogue is terrible all he says is how much he hates ninegans and i love my kami-self.
His overexaggerated sense of self importance and narcissism is what makes him an entertaining character though. It's all the more entertaining to listen to when he starts to become a raving and rambling maniac that is even worse than the mortals he despises and still continuing his catchphrase.

It would be much more better to read if you can just organize your points better.

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Thu May 25, 2017 11:13 pm

Most of this seems to be quite subjective and opinionated, very little to do with the arc in most points and mostly just whining about how certain characters were used and lack of understanding why and how they were used. Kanassa and Freeza9000 above already listed most of the points are coming from a lack of understanding the characters, the plot, and just the arc's meaning overall, you have some points like why didn't Zamasu use the Dragonballs, but for the most part there are the same problems that plague Z, character stupidity/arrogance, lack of common sense/logic in the characters or flaws, powerscaling issues, Yada, Yada... i'm not going to make excuses for the arc and it does have it's flaws, but objectively it does not "suck ass" not that this review was being all that objective to begin with :yawn:

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Fri May 26, 2017 5:26 am

Kanassa wrote:
Shuby wrote:-SSj Blue Goku's full power Kamehameha overcomes Merged Zamasu's most powerful attack?
Except that doesn't happen. Vegeta and Trunks combined were able to overwhelm Merged Zamasu. But Goku never overwhelms Merged Zamasu, he pierces the center of Merged Zamasu's attack and completely catches him off guard, then proceeds to whip out a move he has never used against Zamasu, which again catches Zamasu by surprise and allows Goku to deliver a powerful blow. By this point Dragon Ball has made a point to show how effective taking an opponent by surprise can be.

That shouldn't even happen why is his kamehameha piercing through his strongest attack, while Vegeta and Trunks both using all their strength couldn't? That was also one of the CRITICIZIM people had, he screams full power which is strong enough to pierce through his attack and hit Zamasu and you can clearly see him fighting back unlike the previous ep where he was really off guard enabling Trunks and Vegeta pushing back his death ball or whatever it's called. Not only that it f''ked up his body, while Vegeta and Trunks weren't able to.... and then to make matters even worse Gokus goes at him and fucks him up shouldn't merged Zamasu be too strong to the point Goku's kicks and punches, they should not have any effect on merged Zamasu.
-Why is Zamasu not regenerating from it? This mortal body clashing with immortal body shit is fucking nonsense: We've had Roshi consume the elixir of the Immortal Phoenix which at this point is probably a forgotten plot point, we've had King Piccolowish for eternal youth, and we've had both 17 and 18 be able to live forever thanks to the artificial ki generators that Gero outfitted them with...why in fuck's name should immortality granted by the Super Dragon Balls not be compatible with a mortal body
I'm not seeing the contradiction here. Roshi became immortal (In a completely different sense than Zamasu), Piccolo obtained Eternal Youth, and the andorids also basically had eternal youth. What does that have to do with the effects of a mortal and an immortal fusing?
His immortaly or half-immortal body isn't how immortality works... that's the whole point.
-Present Zamasu's death was very awkward: Beerus catches his hand, it elicits no reaction from Zamasu, there is a slight prolonged zoom in sequence and then he just dies.
Zamasu has a very clear reaction and the zoom is two seconds long to have a moment of suspense on just how Beerus is going to kill Zamasu. And just dies? He gets erased on the spot while screaming his lungs out.
-Gowasu needs to stop saying Zamasu, he literally has no character.
Gowasu has plenty of character, it's just that his character usually goes hand in hand with how trusting and incompetent he is at his job.

Plenty of character? Where show me, most of the time we see him saying the same shit over and over again, how is this ,"plenty of character"?
Trunks trying to cheer Future Trunks up is so contrived and generic: "You can't protect Mai like this", as if Future Trunks needs your help...you know what he did after he realized he couldn't beat Cell, he got OVER it. Its such a shit attempt to make Trunks relevant.
When Trunks realised he couldn't beat Cell, he gave up and accepted that he was going to die. And Trunks DID need his present self's help, one of his core problems is how much he allows his failures to weigh on him.

I actually see a point in here.
-Zamasu dying causes some questions to arise: Kaioshin of U7's Planet of the Kais was in a world above that of the afterlife. When Old Kai died, he was still able to be there, as was Vegeta before Porunga revived him. Zamasu was killed at their home, so why isn't he still there? The fact that he turned "evil" could mean that he doesn't keep his body but I highly doubt Toei or Toriyama remember, not to mention FnF completely fucks that plot point over.
Because Beerus didn't just kill Zamasu, he erased him.

We don't know that, what does it mean to be erased and was that specifically stated?
Zamasu and Black are criticizing Trunks for using time travel to change the past, when they themselves killed the gods that upheld that law? Not to mention that its possible that if the time loop shit with Black isn't true, that you USED the Time Ring to travel to the past and kill Goku and his family?
That's the point. The big irony in Zamasu is how much he's resembling the aspects of evil he's on the quest to wash out from the universe. The show is incredibly aware of how hypocritical Zamasu is as even Vegeta and Goku Black point it out. Which makes it even more of a blow to Trunks that these people are daring to put the blame on him after all they've done.
As the members of Kanzenshuu podcast said durning their review of this arc, these characters, none of them, even take Zamasu serious nor do they even listen to him or them, the only dialogue you here is, "don't underestimate mortals". Other than that they do a shitty job in what you're claiming.
Mai tries to shoot Zamasu after Trunks seemingly defeats Black with the Galick Gun, I can't
I'm not seeing the problem here. Zamasu was about to slice Trunks in half, shooting at him while his guard is down (Which Trunks notes earlier in the same episode) had a chance of distracting him for Trunks to escape. "Hello, could I distract you for just a quick second?"
Using against Black not merged Zamasu you're referring, these saiyans are getting fucked , what is she thinking of using a shotgun? It's like a heavy armored police is attacking you and all you have is a knife.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri May 26, 2017 5:35 am

Shuby wrote: Using against Black not merged Zamasu you're referring, these saiyans are getting fucked , what is she thinking of using a shotgun?
No, I'm referring to Zamasu. Mai has no hope tat using her shotgun will actually damage Zamasu, but firing it had the chance of distracting him. Granted, it didn't work, but there's no problem with her thinking it could work.
It's like a heavy armored police is attacking you and all you have is a knife.
First off, that analogy doesn't work because Mai wasn't the one getting attacked, she was the one rushing to aid the one being attacked in any way she could. In this instance it was distracting Zamasu to give Trunks a chance.

Second, if a heavily armed person is attacking you and all you have is a knife you're going to use that knife because you have no better alternative.

And if said action was stupid, why does it count as an 'objective' knock against the arc? A character making a split second decision in a highly stressful situation that isn't that well thought out isn't bad writing unless it's a character known for keeping a cool head and a quick witted mind.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri May 26, 2017 6:06 am

precita wrote:Why do you guys watch Super if you dislike more than half the show then? If you don't count the movie adaptions and don't like the Zamasu arc...what's left? A just ok to mediocre Champa tournament, tons of fillers/slice of life episodes and an upcoming tournament that didn't even start yet? I mean there's literally nothing else besides the slice of life episodes.
Because we love the characters and the world it created.
But I'll admit I've gone from following it religiously to catching it days or even a week later. I'm waiting to see how this arc pans out, but even if it's amazing I may still drop it anyway as I'm just not a fan of the general direction. I've even been posting on here a lot less as I'm not watching or as invested in the show. The slice of life episodes where Goku doesn't act like a complete idiot are magnificent though and I would pop in occasionally just to watch those in the future.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri May 26, 2017 6:30 am

Uau that's a lot of questions from OP, I'll try to give my two cents
Shuby wrote: Why is SSj Rose a thing? Why is the hair pink? I think it looks cool but why does it exist?
I think it was just God-Ki level for Saiyajins but evil lol
-Goku Black's "identity" shouldn't be a mystery if its Zamasu all along; what the fuck is the point? Everyone was guessing Zamasu and it was a horrible "reveal".
-How does Zamasu know Goku in the timeline in which he became Goku Black if Future Trunks coming back to the past is what spurred him to meet Goku in the first place?
-They have no response for Vegeta when he asks what their utopia is about: why wouldn't Vegeta understand (not agree with) a world that is being built for new gods?
-Trunks powerup into SSj stage 3 with blue ki highlights is cool but makes no sense, and once again, he's all of a sudden so strong to challenge Black and Zamasu even holding on his own for a while; No explanation for it, of course.
-Black and Zamasu know Trunks time traveled, yet Black was surprised that he saw the time machine when he first fought Goku...
-WHY THE FUCK DOESN'T ZAMASU WISH FOR ALL MORTALS TO BE KILLED WHEN HE GATHERS THE SUPER DRAGON BALLS?!
HE COULD KILL THE GODS BY KILLING ALL THE KAIOSHIN AND THEN USING IT. DON'T GIVE ME THAT THERE WILL BE NO PLOT EXCUSE, ITS FUCKING SLOPPY WRITING.
-Some people say that Zamasu didn't do it because he relished killing mortals but the reason that is bullshit is because he's carrying out his Zero mortals plan in the future, where humans are scarce.
-There is no excuse for him not doing it in the present, where killing the Kaioshin without the knowledge of the GoDs would be no problem.
-How the fuck did Trunks escape Black and Zamasu when he served as a shield for Goku, Vegeta and Bulma to return to the past?
-Mai tries to snipe Black, I'm actually dying....AND SHE MISSED?! LMFAOOOOOOOOO. What the fuck is an energy bullet? You just saw Goku, Vegeta and Trunks fail, and you think a fucking bullet is going to work?
-How does Vegeta get stronger than Black in a year's time when he couldn't do the same against Cell? Not only that but earlier in the Universe 6 arc he said that using the Time Chamber would do nothing because they were at
their limits, yet here he easily surpasses that?
-LOL why is there some long winded dialog about how "anger is power" when Black makes his scythe?
-Holy shit, Toei has lost it: he creates a rift and has no idea what the fuck happened. Then Toei tries to play this off with some dialog about how what he's staring at could be the future or the past, what the fuck are they talking about?
LOOOL what is this smoke clone shit, this is so wack.
-Goku forgets the talisman, zentsu-bean? Way to go Toei.
-Zamasu and Black fuse while he is still a SSj Rose, something which Old Kai said NOT to do when Goku asked; the design is absolutely bland too
-Wait, so his plan was to create a new world for gods, yet he killed gods?
-How tf are SSjB's able to resist the Lightning of Absolution
-Why is Goku doing better than both Trunks and Vegeta did durning the energy wave struggle against merged Zamasu?
--How is Zamasu not in any pain when Vegetto impales him with the beam sword, when it was said in this very same episode that he doesn't have his immortality anymore?
- How is Mai still alive? How is she as young as she is? She needed to turn into a kid when Piccolo was still alive, no Piccolo= no dragon balls
from a thieve to a leader in a group to defend earth.. where did that transition happen? F''k the Pilaf gang, they were essentially a waste of space
not funny or interesting.
- Goku Black being Zamasu was the plot twist and for my share I think it was pretty awesome.
- I don't understand what you mean here, but in general different timelines and all are a lot confusing so I guess that's fair enough lol
- Because Vegeta had a lot of character development and has grown in a more mature man who also learned to respect and even appreciate existences that aren't his own lol
- Yeah power levels in Super are a mess and FTrunks is probably the climax of it lol
- Not sure how this is a problem, he could be surprised for many things, also I am not sure he was actually surprised, just he didn't expect it to be done that way.
- Because that would have been horrible writing and the arc would have been over after barely a couple of episodes lol
- Nah Zamasu felt the need to bring justice by himself, also he enjoyed it being a sadist lol
- You mean in the present before he turned evil? What's the issue then.
- Mysteries of inconsistencies damn it all when you're at me lol
- Mai tries to do her best with what she can, bear in mind she's no alien with extra super powers or is she lol
- Yeah power levels in Super, just the regular lol
- Hey man, you can't blame them when they don't give explanations if you also blame them when they give one lol
- No idea lol
- Retarded Goku from Super did a good share of numbers in this arc indeed, hopefully that has now stopped lol
- I thought the design was rather logical and what to expect to see.
- Yes because in his eyes gods that don't want to commit genocides are evil lol
- Yet again, power levels in Super say hi
- Because he's Goku lol
- How are you sure he was not in pain mate maybe he was hiding it lol
- Yeah Pilaf gang was very painful I sure agree with that, glad they're gone now.
Trunks has no problem going to a different timeline after Zeno destroys his own...are you serious? Are you just going to shit on his entire character like that? That Hope!! on his time machine has no meaning now. The meaning of his journey in the Androids arc is compltely nullified now. People who just helped him defeat Zamasu on some bullshit, all just died..., but at the expense of fucking the meaning of Trunks's character up? Naaaaah. And you know, given the whole strict rules about time travel and all that...this might be the last time we see Future Trunks. Yep, Future Trunks goes off to a new future where his entire character is written off.
Why did no one try and get the Namekians and use their Dragon Balls to revive Earth?! Why not just stay in this fucking timeline.........
For once the ending wasn't that happy which makes this arc one of the most tragic and at the same one of the most awesome, IMHO

Misirius

Post by Misirius » Fri May 26, 2017 7:21 am

Almost everything that you pointed out as wrong or stupid is fixed or explained in the manga. Just saying

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri May 26, 2017 8:13 am

Misirius wrote:Almost everything that you pointed out as wrong or stupid is fixed or explained in the manga. Just saying
True, though some of the stuff regarding power levels still makes no sense, ie Trunks SSJ2 = Goku SSJ3 lol
But I mostly agree with your point lol

gipset

Post by gipset » Fri May 26, 2017 8:55 am

Just rewatched yesterday on a binge, I agree. There were some good moments, I liked the new lore, but as a whole the arc sucked and it was hard to rewatch.

My problem was how all over the place the story was. It felt really stretched out, and there were 2-3 episodes that would be really boring and then one episode where something interesting would happen.

Misirius

Post by Misirius » Fri May 26, 2017 1:16 pm

Well, I was planning on doing a post with my thoughts on the manga's power scale. I'll do it and we'll see how people react in here. In the Dragon World subbreddit people just hate the manga so much that I don't even try anymore.

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Fri May 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:Zamasu does have a point though. There are a plethora of mortal beings in the DB verse that are quite destructive and barbaric in their actions just like how we humans commit harm to each other. Such as Freeza, Saiyans, Babidi, Majin Boo, Gero and Androids, Frost, Universe 9 beings, I can go on and on. A lot of that tend to plague the amount of good left in humanity. It's also considering how the gods themselves are shown to be quite incompetent in their jobs of regulating their universes. Too bad his actions and way of forming a better world make him no better, in fact worse, than the mortals he detests.
That adds my point, if the barbarian race fueled his hatred for mortals then show us where it started. We don't even know if all gods and or kiaoshins are "incompotent". In u9 we have the pride troopers, in u6 nobel peace prize and saiyans who fight for the well beings of creatures. We don't see Zamasu address the good side if you will, which leaves him at a akward midpoint. So his fueled hatred caused by the barbarians is still weak. If all those you have mentioned before is all he saw, well why didn't he saw the other side of the coin? Why is that area left grey, so his hatred fueled by it leaves us with those questions.
Freeza9000 wrote:Sorry to break it to you but he hated mortals long before he even met the Barbarians. The Barbarians just added more fuel to Zamasu's hatred of mortals, that's all.
Read above.
Freeza9000 wrote:Except when he stole Goku's body, he didn't think that he became a mortal himself. He's still the "supreme god" he proclaimed himself to be, just in a different and more efficient body in combat.
The point that he shows no disgust in sharing a body of a mortal is indeed a misstep in his character, if he seeked power and an effective body, which we know he did, he should've switched bodies with Beerus or any other god... which would made more sense since he loves his godlihood.
Freeza9000 wrote:Ever since Zamasu inhabited Goku's body, alterations were made such as Goku Black lean appearance akin to Zamasu's lean physique and Black's dark aura that's similar to Zamasu's. So why is it hard to grasp the fact that his transformation is different than Goku's?
But is this specifically stated in the anime? If not it''s your headcanon filling the questions we have which isn't good enough.
Freeza9000 wrote:He was nowhere near their level until SSJI (Ikari). Sure SSJ2 Trunks was able to kick SSJR Black (who was off guard btw) and land some good hits on Future Zamasu (who didn't take Trunks very seriously since he was immortal and wanted to show that that Trunks and his attempts were hopeless against him), but that's about it. And he unlocked SSJI through the anguish of learning how he was the one that doomed his people and loved ones.
You do know that the biggest criticizim this arc had was the fuckery of power scalling? Fights looked cool but looking from a critical point of view, it made no sense at all... watch it again with that mindset.
Freeza9000 wrote:There were only a few lines of that and "justice of gods" refers to his own justice considering how he always proclaimed himself and other self to be the Supreme God needed.
The anime failed in showing that... so was that really what he meant or am i speaking the truth, extactly...
Freeza9000 wrote:His overexaggerated sense of self importance and narcissism is what makes him an entertaining character though. It's all the more entertaining to listen to when he starts to become a raving and rambling maniac that is even worse than the mortals he despises and still continuing his catchphrase.

It would be much more better to read if you can just organize your points better.
No it isnt entertaining, using the same dialogue over and over again makes a character boring, rahter they could've filled the void of other grey areas of his character, what he thought of good mortals or when he exactly came to think like that etc etc..
Master Xar wrote:Most of this seems to be quite subjective and opinionated, very little to do with the arc in most points and mostly just whining about how certain characters were used and lack of understanding why and how they were used. Kanassa and Freeza9000 above already listed most of the points are coming from a lack of understanding the characters, the plot, and just the arc's meaning overall, you have some points like why didn't Zamasu use the Dragonballs, but for the most part there are the same problems that plague Z, character stupidity/arrogance, lack of common sense/logic in the characters or flaws, powerscaling issues, Yada, Yada... i'm not going to make excuses for the arc and it does have it's flaws, but objectively it does not "suck ass" not that this review was being all that objective to begin with :yawn:
Instead of saying all of this is boring you could've countered my arguments.... :roll: :wave:
That's the point it didnt work, she had seen countless of times that it didn''t work, why would she think by distracting Trunks would've a better fight or edge instead risking possibly her life and that of Trunks...
Second, if a heavily armed person is attacking you and all you have is a knife you're going to use that knife because you have no better alternative.
Kanassa wrote:First off, that analogy doesn't work because Mai wasn't the one getting attacked, she was the one rushing to aid the one being attacked in any way she could. In this instance it was distracting Zamasu to give Trunks a chance.

And if said action was stupid, why does it count as an 'objective' knock against the arc? A character making a split second decision in a highly stressful situation that isn't that well thought out isn't bad writing unless it's a character known for keeping a cool head and a quick witted mind.
See above
Misirius wrote:Almost everything that you pointed out as wrong or stupid is fixed or explained in the manga. Just saying
The manga and anime are two different things.... just because the manga fixes the problems does not mean the anime gets a free pass...
PsionicWarrior wrote:- Goku Black being Zamasu was the plot twist and for my share I think it was pretty awesome.
To each his own i guess but the surprise element was not there for many
PsionicWarrior wrote:- I don't understand what you mean here, but in general different timelines and all are a lot confusing so I guess that's fair enough lol
Toriyama... if you can't do a consistent normal story arc, please stay away from time travel plots
PsionicWarrior wrote:- Because Vegeta had a lot of character development and has grown in a more mature man who also learned to respect and even appreciate existences that aren't his own lol
uhhhmm that doesn't answer my question
PsionicWarrior wrote:- Yeah power levels in Super are a mess and FTrunks is probably the climax of it lol
It surely was a mess
PsionicWarrior wrote:- Not sure how this is a problem, he could be surprised for many things, also I am not sure he was actually surprised, just he didn't expect it to be done that way.
He was legitimately surprised yet later he knew of his time travel happening
PsionicWarrior wrote:- Because that would have been horrible writing and the arc would have been over after barely a couple of episodes lol
Still does not erase the question as to why he didn't
PsionicWarrior wrote:- Nah Zamasu felt the need to bring justice by himself, also he enjoyed it being a sadist lol
What lol?
PsionicWarrior wrote:- You mean in the present before he turned evil? What's the issue then.
it doesnt make sense that's the issue
PsionicWarrior wrote:- Mai tries to do her best with what she can, bear in mind she's no alien with extra super powers or is she lol
yet knowing beings extraordinary more powerful then her are getting fucked

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:21 pm

Shuby wrote:
Master Xar wrote:Most of this seems to be quite subjective and opinionated, very little to do with the arc in most points and mostly just whining about how certain characters were used and lack of understanding why and how they were used. Kanassa and Freeza9000 above already listed most of the points are coming from a lack of understanding the characters, the plot, and just the arc's meaning overall, you have some points like why didn't Zamasu use the Dragonballs, but for the most part there are the same problems that plague Z, character stupidity/arrogance, lack of common sense/logic in the characters or flaws, powerscaling issues, Yada, Yada... i'm not going to make excuses for the arc and it does have it's flaws, but objectively it does not "suck ass" not that this review was being all that objective to begin with :yawn:
Instead of saying all of this is boring you could've countered my arguments.... :roll: :wave:
You didn't even counter mine and others' arguments. All you do is just quote.

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Fri May 26, 2017 6:23 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:You didn't even counter mine and others' arguments. All you do is just quote.
I did....

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri May 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Shuby wrote:That's the point it didnt work, she had seen countless of times that it didn''t work,
Okay, first off; please fix your reply format, I was barely able to tell where the actual reply was here.

And all the other times she's fired at the villain when their backs were turned, it did work, it did distract them.
why would she think by distracting Trunks would've a better fight or edge instead risking possibly her life and that of Trunks...
Because the story has the character ephesize a lot how Zamasu constantly lets his guard down. And the only other option was to, what? Sit and watch her lover/humanities-only-hope-until-Goku-and-vegeta-get-back get killed? Distracting Zamasu would give Trunks a chance to do something, a chance to escape and live to fight another day. Sitting by and doing nothing would have been a death wish. Without Trunks there, all the remaining humans would have been dead by then. Saving Trunks is both out of loyalty to him as well as pure survival instinct.

And again, where's the objectivity here?

Kanassa wrote:

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Shuby wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
Shuby wrote:
You didn't even counter mine and others' arguments. All you do is just quote.

I did....
You mind organizing them better?

Shuby
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shuby » Fri May 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Shuby wrote:That's the point it didnt work, she had seen countless of times that it didn''t work,
Okay, first off; please fix your reply format, I was barely able to tell where the actual reply was here.

And all the other times she's fired at the villain when their backs were turned, it did work, it did distract them.
why would she think by distracting Trunks would've a better fight or edge instead risking possibly her life and that of Trunks...
Because the story has the character ephesize a lot how Zamasu constantly lets his guard down. And the only other option was to, what? Sit and watch her lover/humanities-only-hope-until-Goku-and-vegeta-get-back get killed? Distracting Zamasu would give Trunks a chance to do something, a chance to escape and live to fight another day. Sitting by and doing nothing would have been a death wish. Without Trunks there, all the remaining humans would have been dead by then. Saving Trunks is both out of loyalty to him as well as pure survival instinct.

I don't know how this shit works sorry for that lol.

In the long run did it work not not? Exactly

What do you mean with objectivity?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri May 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Kanassa wrote:

By the logic here, the humans should've rolled and died since they shouldn't even attempt to fight back because it futile.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.