Are you watching the Super dub every week?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Are you watching the Super dub every week?

Post by Faisal Shourov » Thu May 25, 2017 10:44 pm

I personally like Dragon Ball dub a infinitely better than the sub where I find Goku's voice cringy as hell (even to this day, it sucks to me). However I have watched just 2 episodes of DBS dub. I love Sean Schemmel and Christopher Sabat's voice but not interested in watching 2 year old episodes. I already know the plot for new episodes and even the dub isn't alluring enough for me to rewatch everything.

So are you watching the dub? Why or why not?
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Are you watching the Super dub every week?

Post by Boo Machine » Thu May 25, 2017 10:55 pm

I don't have cable, so no. But I do plan on buying the home releases when I can get my hands on them.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Thu May 25, 2017 11:21 pm

Yes, I am watching the dub. I started watching DB dubbed and I can't watch those scenes subbed. It just isn't right to me.
Now with Super I got used to their subbed voices. I even find dub a bit lacking in comparison but I still enjoy hearing it in English. Even though they are following the original much more these days there are variations that I find greatly amusing.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu May 25, 2017 11:24 pm

I don't like Super enough to watch the dub every week, but I'll check in every now and then.
Retired.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Thu May 25, 2017 11:28 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I don't like Super enough to watch the dub every week, but I'll check in every now and then.
Same, I even skip the fillers of the sub every now and then.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu May 25, 2017 11:30 pm

Not watching the dub because I have no interest at all. Plus I need cable for that,which I currently don't have.
Last edited by Sodhi on Thu May 25, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu May 25, 2017 11:30 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I don't like Super enough to watch the dub every week, but I'll check in every now and then.
Same, I even skip the fillers of the sub every now and then.
I've been trying to drop the show for over 2 months now, but then I feel out of the loop or someone brags on an episode, or something like that always drags me back in.
Retired.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:51 pm

No, it comes on at a inconvenient time and Super isn't worth rewatching.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri May 26, 2017 12:10 am

I read the Funimation dub thread every week, and if someone gushes about a particular scene I'll go look it up. I'll probably watch more in the U6-U7 tournament arc. I already didn't want to watch BoG and RoF rehashed in Super, no way I'm doing it again for the dub. So soon, anyway.

Can't help but add that I think Bulma's new voice makes her a very unlikable character.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri May 26, 2017 12:20 am

Can not stand the voice acting.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 26, 2017 12:30 am

Miracles wrote:Can not stand the voice acting.
You can't stand the voice acting of the actors currently? What's wrong with them?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 26, 2017 1:27 am

I do, the performances have been incredible so far, especially Schemmel, who I feel is now the best he's ever been as Goku.

I don't agree with you about Nozawa's Goku being cringy though.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri May 26, 2017 1:46 am

I wish I could but the dub isn't out yet. I'm talking about the Latin American dub that is.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri May 26, 2017 4:59 am

No I think outside of the first episode I haven't watched a single episode dubbed.

I've been downloading them all and saving them to hard drive which I'll watch at a later date though maybe by that time they'll have started to release the show in the UK on Blu Ray.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Fri May 26, 2017 5:27 am

Not now That RoF has started but yeah, before that i usually did it, i love the jap version but i also love Sean's screams in the english dub, and ep 11 was fantastic.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:39 am

I do watch my country's (Portugal) dub when it's out every week and I love watching those 2 episodes week with the voices I grew up with and with the new voices of Black, Champa, Vados and Hit. And Portugal never got the movies dubbed so that's another reason to watch it.
Last edited by Gafonso6 on Fri May 26, 2017 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri May 26, 2017 5:42 am

I watched like the first two or three episodes and saw a few clips here and there from future episodes. I stopped watching it because it doesn't interest me. I grew up hearing the dub and all that, but these days I could care less honestly. I also have zero reason to watch the dub when the original version is right there and 70 episodes ahead. I don't understand how someone can claim they're a "huge" fan but refuse to watch it subbed and wait years for the dub to finally catch up.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 26, 2017 8:38 am

Yes, I have actually. But I only really did so to see if the movie retellings of Super would be a much smoother watch through the English dub... and it surprisingly was. I mean, the current English cast for the Dragon Ball franchise is really talented and but I have t admit I was feeling a bit uneasy with how well they would handle the early episodes, especially give how rough they can be in terms of the script and visuals, bu they've so far manged to make Super feel more like a wholesome experience.

I really enjoy it a lot.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:17 am

Only watching the good scenes until they get out of RoF.

Meanwhile, still waiting for that LatAm dub.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Fri May 26, 2017 10:14 am

Not really. I've been keeping up with the new episodes coming out of Japan instead. Besides, the B.O.G. and Rez F arcs are useless, so I missed nothing by skipping those.

Also, I'm getting used to the Japanese VAs. I prefer some of the English ones but eh, I'll live without them. Worth it to see the new episodes.

Actually, this guy I know is avoiding almost all Super news and episodes, dubbed or not. He's waiting for the DVDs and Blu Rays. Most recent spoiler he's seen is about "Fem Broly". Doesn't know that there's two female super saiyans now. Doesn't even know their names.