Jiren

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ichasedreams

Jiren

Post by ichasedreams » Fri May 26, 2017 2:15 am

Has anyone realized Jiren has not been showed or mentioned (by my knowledge) for about 4 or 5 episodes? That leaves a lot to the imagination about him especially his power level compared to Goku & others. Even when the other pride troopers have been shown he hasn't been mentioned since the meditation scene.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Jiren

Post by Boo Machine » Fri May 26, 2017 2:18 am

For someone that's the big man that Goku has to beat, he doesn't have nearly as much focus on him as he probably should have. Like, at least one scene with him doing his job or pulling an amazing feat would be good. Makes it kind of hard to feel invested in him. Hopefully we see a little bit of him before the big competition.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri May 26, 2017 3:24 am

"Let the audience focus on Hit, so they will be in shock when Jiren defeats him." Or that's what I think.

He better have some kind of a personality though.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 am

It's in line with most of the stuff that happened in DBZ. We only saw Freeza getting some actual action after most of his army was dead and Goku had already arrived, but he was still built up to be this formidable foe that Goku would need to defeat.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Drellz26
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Drellz26 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:48 am

I actually really like this. It'll make him seem even more of a beast when he destroys everyone who's getting build up right now. I miss the slow villain reveals, I do wish we knew something about him, but I haven't even noticed he hasn't really been mentioned lately. For some reason I still feel his presence lurking.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Fri May 26, 2017 10:55 am

You know I haven't thought about Jiren in a while. Makes you wonder if he really is that strong. I mean sure he's in the OP, but come on one little scene in the whole arc so far says a lot. They've shown Toppo a lot more than him. It is interesting.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Fri May 26, 2017 11:35 am

MagmonKai wrote:You know I haven't thought about Jiren in a while. Makes you wonder if he really is that strong. I mean sure he's in the OP, but come on one little scene in the whole arc so far says a lot. They've shown Toppo a lot more than him. It is interesting.
To be fair there's no reason to force feed the viewers with ever little facts about him.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri May 26, 2017 12:37 pm

MagmonKai wrote:You know I haven't thought about Jiren in a while. Makes you wonder if he really is that strong. I mean sure he's in the OP, but come on one little scene in the whole arc so far says a lot. They've shown Toppo a lot more than him. It is interesting.
Why would we wonder? We saw Toppo is right on par with Goku (probably a little weaker) and Toppo himself said Goku would have "No chance" against his friend Jiren.

Its just supposed to give some mystery to his character IMO
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

ichasedreams

Post by ichasedreams » Fri May 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Boo Machine wrote:For someone that's the big man that Goku has to beat, he doesn't have nearly as much focus on him as he probably should have. Like, at least one scene with him doing his job or pulling an amazing feat would be good. Makes it kind of hard to feel invested in him. Hopefully we see a little bit of him before the big competition.
That's what's I was thinking let's see him one shot a strong monster or training or something.
Xeogran wrote:"Let the audience focus on Hit, so they will be in shock when Jiren defeats him." Or that's what I think.

He better have some kind of a personality though.
Yes really hope he has some kind of personality as copy ginyu (toppo)
Drellz26 wrote:I actually really like this. It'll make him seem even more of a beast when he destroys everyone who's getting build up right now. I miss the slow villain reveals, I do wish we knew something about him, but I haven't even noticed he hasn't really been mentioned lately. For some reason I still feel his presence lurking.
I at least want a history of him Wether they show it or toppo brings it up
I feel like he won't be that strong truthfully. Toppo to me seems to be boosting him more than most villains are.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri May 26, 2017 3:50 pm

I hope he has an interesting personality to make up for his boring and lackluster character design.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri May 26, 2017 3:59 pm

Chuquita wrote:I hope he has an interesting personality to make up for his boring and lackluster character design.
If he sticks around after this arc as well, we might get to see some depth to his personality..
There is only so much they can show of him other than the surface..

Hit was a boring character who was just storng, but now after his second fight and his scenes with frost recruitment, we get to see more of him, thus giving him depth..

So if you are looking for jiren to have interesting persona right away, there is a big chance you will be disappointed
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri May 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I hope he has an interesting personality to make up for his boring and lackluster character design.
If he sticks around after this arc as well, we might get to see some depth to his personality..
There is only so much they can show of him other than the surface..

Hit was a boring character who was just storng, but now after his second fight and his scenes with frost recruitment, we get to see more of him, thus giving him depth..

So if you are looking for jiren to have interesting persona right away, there is a big chance you will be disappointed
I do understand, I just think first impressions are important; especially in entertainment when you're trying to sell a character or product to viewers.

It's the whole it gets good this many episodes in thing, which I think works in retrospect (no way would I have gotten into One Piece without knowing what happens later in the series ahead of time) not everyone handles slow burns the same.

It might also just be character preferences. Hit's very Jotaro and I'm more of a Joseph or Josuke fan.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 26, 2017 5:10 pm

The funniest thing about Jiren is that he's the main new character everyone should be looking forward to, but he got completely overshadowed by the female saiyans.
Until he starts beating strong characters and proves his place on the power level ladder no one will care about him.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri May 26, 2017 6:24 pm

We are going around the other universes after all, he will get his own spotlight in time.

And since he's facing off with Goku in the OP, he should be someone impressive and intense. I can wait.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri May 26, 2017 9:40 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:The funniest thing about Jiren is that he's the main new character everyone should be looking forward to, but he got completely overshadowed by the female saiyans.
Until he starts beating strong characters and proves his place on the power level ladder no one will care about him.
The female Saiyans are actually getting relevant screentime at the moment though so not exactly hard for them to overshadow a character that's completly absent, regardless of the fact that they've been one o fthe most requested characters by the fandom for decades

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sat May 27, 2017 6:16 am

Toppo stated Jiren is far above himself(Toppo). Considering Toppo is close to current kk+ssj blue Goku. Means Jiren is a monster power wise. That's why GOku is getting a new form or technique. To keep up with Jiren. Jiren is like Freeza was in namek arc, he doesnt start weaker than the heroes, like Black or Hit(he had to improve himself to keep up with kk ssj blue Goku), or Cell or even Buu, he is a power house from the get go and ud need a new form to compete with him.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 27, 2017 9:44 am

I like that Jiren is being kept a mystery. It'll just make his imminent(?) clash with Goku(?) all the more intriguing.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat May 27, 2017 2:09 pm

buutenks wrote:Toppo stated Jiren is far above himself(Toppo). Considering Toppo is close to current kk+ssj blue Goku. Means Jiren is a monster power wise. That's why GOku is getting a new form or technique. To keep up with Jiren. Jiren is like Freeza was in namek arc, he doesnt start weaker than the heroes, like Black or Hit(he had to improve himself to keep up with kk ssj blue Goku), or Cell or even Buu, he is a power house from the get go and ud need a new form to compete with him.

Are we absolutely sure Goku is going to even get a new form? I thought Gohan was getting all these power ups because he's going to be the one who wins the fight. Besides nothing has indicated that Goku has a new form. Also 90% of the stuff in the OP did not happen or is simply mis-directed footage to garner hype.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat May 27, 2017 2:11 pm

MagmonKai wrote:
buutenks wrote:Toppo stated Jiren is far above himself(Toppo). Considering Toppo is close to current kk+ssj blue Goku. Means Jiren is a monster power wise. That's why GOku is getting a new form or technique. To keep up with Jiren. Jiren is like Freeza was in namek arc, he doesnt start weaker than the heroes, like Black or Hit(he had to improve himself to keep up with kk ssj blue Goku), or Cell or even Buu, he is a power house from the get go and ud need a new form to compete with him.

Are we absolutely sure Goku is going to even get a new form? I thought Gohan was getting all these power ups because he's going to be the one who wins the fight. Besides nothing has indicated that Goku has a new form. Also 90% of the stuff in the OP did not happen or is simply mis-directed footage to garner hype.
A lot of things in the OP dont happen but its really strange to have Goku power out of SSB into a red aura base form for no reason. Its just not something youd think to do for no reason.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat May 27, 2017 2:13 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
MagmonKai wrote:

A lot of things in the OP dont happen but its really strange to have Goku power out of SSB into a red aura base form for no reason. Its just not something youd think to do for no reason.

You don't put Majin Buu in the OP just to...well not have him in the tournament? Oh wait you do...?