Most Popular Character Fanbase

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PiccoloG

Most Popular Character Fanbase

Post by PiccoloG » Sat May 27, 2017 6:28 am

So I was wondering since we're talking a lot about power in the upcoming tournament, thought it would be different to talk about another aspect as to popularity. Which DBZ Character do you think has the largest fanbase and who would you put in the top 10. Here's my opinion:
01: Goku (The star of the show, obvious!)
02: Vegeta (Thinks he overtakes Gohan in terms of fan specifically from End Of Z to Super, his fanbase could rival that of Goku's globally as he's more popular outside of Japan than Goku is)
03: Gohan (Despite having his highs and lows, Gohan fans seem to be one of the most passionate and dedicated fandom. As a English football fan, his fans kinda remind me of Arsenal FC, where despite years of mediocre, fans still tend to stick by him)
04: Frieza (Despite being a villain, his fanbase is still massive and rivals many of the heroes, that's why he is bought back so many times! Think he's more popular inside Japan than the rest of the world though!)
05: Piccolo (My personal favourite, as shown by username, he is kind of the underdog but still has a strong following in the DBZ Community)
06: Future Trunks (He's a very popular character, probably alongside Piccolo, though Piccolo has a slight advantage due to being on the show more consistently. Future Trunks does have a very significant following)
07: Beerus (Relatively new one, but since Battle Of Gods, his popularity has risen and probably the most popular new character to be introduced in the last few years. Though, it can be argued his following started due to hate of Goku & Vegeta's fans)
08: Krillin (Most popular human by far, probably helped by the fact that he recieved the most character development out of any human, and is still now given the most material in terms of writing compared to the likes of Tien and Yamcha)
09: Cell (A villain that is more popular outside of Japan than within it, he's loved by western fans but kind of underrated by the country of origin. My favourite villain of the series, definitely helped by the fact that he is a very sophisticated villain)
10: Broly (This guy is non-canon, but still has some of the most fans in DBZ history, and the worst thing is he literally has no personality! Guess people like him because he's just a powerhouse!)

PiccoloG

Re: Most Popular Character Fanbase

Post by PiccoloG » Sat May 27, 2017 6:29 am

So do you guys agree? Feel free to suggest alternative top 10s, would want to see where you would place the most popular characters.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:22 am

I agree with the first 3 but after that should be future trunks, than broly, than frieza, than burdock (frieza and bardock can be interchangeable), than beerus. Actually thinking about it now, Zamasu/Black has become many people's favorite villain.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sat May 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Back in the cell saga Teen Gohan was the most popular character.

Right now it has to be Goku. Vegeta had a lot of good moments but they keep screwing him over.

Gohan would be 3rd with the potential to move to the second slot if he continues his serious form.

Then Piccolo..i think Piccolo was at an all time low in the Buu saga. But now he's catching momentum. His fandom has accepted his mediocrity and is happy with the left overs. Forever hopeful but not expectful.

Out of the villains Freeza has the biggest fan base. And even with fans like myself that like BUU the best, it's clear that Freeza is and will always be the greatest villain. A story is trash without a great villain. He has too much development and impact for our protagonists.

People also like future trunks but his fandom isn't as hardcore as Vegeta and Gohan.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat May 27, 2017 1:59 pm

I think Goku and Gohan have the biggest. My favorite character is Goku followed by Whis.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 27, 2017 2:01 pm

I'm pretty sure at this time Bardock is more popular than Cell. All thanks to Dragon Ball Heroes and Dragon Ball Xenoverse.

There will be a poll in Heroes next month and I bet Bardock will appear in the first place or at least in the Top 3 again. If Cell was that popular, we should see him more often in the anime but that's unfortunately not the case.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat May 27, 2017 2:03 pm

In terms of the fighters, Yamcha probably has the largest fanbase after the Saiyans, Piccolo and Krillin. He almost always outranks Tenshinhan on character polls.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun May 28, 2017 1:23 am

I just mainly watch the show and use this forum so I may not be qualified to say this but I'm surprised to see Goku being #1. Is it just because he's the main character and an iconic character? Because I never really see his fans on here. Maybe they're not vocal as much as Vegeta and Gohan fans.

I've even seen Goku hate on these forums with threads that say his character is growing dumber and only cares about fighting or he's the only one that gets focused and always gets to save the day.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun May 28, 2017 3:24 am

Broly should be higher and Bardock should be somewhere on the list.

I don't like it, but judging by how much those two are milked I'd say they make top 10.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun May 28, 2017 5:54 am

Pardon me? Broly has personality. Not outright shown since movies are short and it doesn't help that he was brain-dead in M10, but we know he was pretty active as LSSJ. There are things and quotes which define his character. Don't just act like he never spoke or didn't show his enjoyment of fighting.