Dragon Ball and the posibilty of a Neo Anime Boom

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Dragon Ball and the posibilty of a Neo Anime Boom

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:30 am

What would it take for Dragon Ball Super to truly usher in a neo anime boom? Do you think it will happen once the Zamasu arc begins?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball and the posibilty of a Neo Anime Boom

Post by Boo Machine » Wed May 31, 2017 12:44 am

I feel like anime has gotten as "boomy" as it's ever going to get. Maybe with some rises and declines in the future. So I don't really feel like the Zamau stuff will make much difference.

I can only give my point of view from the Western audience side. Though Dragonball would probably do better marketed towards kids, a new audience, as opposed to adults whom most were already fans to begin with. Then anime would have to be treated well by the people who make the decisions to put stuff like action cartoons/anime on T.V. Which judging by how stuff like that has been treated in recent years, I don't see that happening. Not to mention the different standards of today. I can't imagine something like Fairy tale or One piece being on Cartoon network today.

There is probably more, but I don't know enough about this kind of thing to really know what they are.

Hope that doesn't sound to pessimistic. I'm usually not, but I don't really see an interest in anime making a huge Spike up since it's not really a new thing. Anime would have to make a massive decline in interest over here in the west first to see such a thing again.

Anyone who knows more about this feel free to correct me if it looks like I'm talking out of my ass. Because I am.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed May 31, 2017 12:54 am

No, Dragon Ball is too old. People aren't going to go crazy over Super like they did about Z. It only airs once a week too.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed May 31, 2017 3:52 pm

funrush wrote:No, Dragon Ball is too old. People aren't going to go crazy over Super like they did about Z. It only airs once a week too.
Also even though its targeted to a new generation the story doesnt really make much sense if you arent old enough to know about Z.

Plus anime is HUUUUGE in the west. America anyway, and that is already partly due to DBZ
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:34 am

I wonder how well will the toys and DVD's sell!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:43 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote: Plus anime is HUUUUGE in the west. America anyway, and that is already partly due to DBZ
Anime barely airs on TV in the west anymore, and most of the stuff people watch online are fanservice or waifu shows aimed at adults.

Kids these days barely care about anime. We aren't in 1997-2005 anymore.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:45 am

That's why I do want a new Anime Boom to keep things interesting.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:48 am

There isn't anything for the west anymore. Naruto was big for a while in the U.S. when it first started but it died down considerably. One Piece failed in the west. Digimon is done. Attack on Titan has some decent exposure but it went year gaps between seasons killing it's momentum.

Other than Pokemon and Super now, there really isn't much reason to push anime in the west anymore.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:57 am

Digimon Adventure Tri had awesome DVD sales but yeah you are right.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:18 am

I honestly wonder why they didn't try to get Sailor Moon Crystal on TV in the U.S. I guess after Toei saw Precure dub fail in the U.S. a while ago they decided not to bother.

I think the age of anime is done in the west aside from old shows people have nostalgia for.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:55 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:What would it take for Dragon Ball Super to truly usher in a neo anime boom? Do you think it will happen once the Zamasu arc begins?
What? What is neo anime boom?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:01 am

Neo as in new and Anime Boom as in a sudden Surge in popularity. Like the one in the 90s

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:51 am

precita wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote: Plus anime is HUUUUGE in the west. America anyway, and that is already partly due to DBZ
Anime barely airs on TV in the west anymore, and most of the stuff people watch online are fanservice or waifu shows aimed at adults.

People barely watch TV in general anymore. Anime has grown not declined.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:39 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
precita wrote:

People get their anime fixes from other sources than TV. Social media and platforms like Youtube and Streaming sites proliferate with anime. It's still popular, just we don't have Neilson ratings to back that up anymore.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:00 pm

MagmonKai wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
precita wrote:

People get their anime fixes from other sources than TV. Social media and platforms like Youtube and Streaming sites proliferate with anime. It's still popular, just we don't have Neilson ratings to back that up anymore.
Exactly.

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that in those days it was still "weird" or "nerdy" to like anime. Now we have full on conventions and more people in general seem to know about it a bit more.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:34 pm

precita wrote:I honestly wonder why they didn't try to get Sailor Moon Crystal on TV in the U.S. I guess after Toei saw Precure dub fail in the U.S. a while ago they decided not to bother.

I think the age of anime is done in the west aside from old shows people have nostalgia for.
From what I was told that Hulu got the streaming rights to it and they outbid Toonami before they can air it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:51 pm

precita wrote:I honestly wonder why they didn't try to get Sailor Moon Crystal on TV in the U.S. I guess after Toei saw Precure dub fail in the U.S. a while ago they decided not to bother.

Speak of the devil, is Sailor Moon Crystal now airing on TV? Just give it a few months/years and we'll probably see the Sailor Senshi on U.S. TV again.
Hellspawn28 wrote:From what I was told that Hulu got the streaming rights to it and they outbid Toonami before they can air it.
Well, that sucks... :|
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.