When will the manga surpass the anime again?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

When will the manga surpass the anime again?

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:12 pm

Toyotaro claimed that the manga would surpass the anime eventually, but so far, it's hard to see that happen. The manga is still in the Future Trunks/Zamasu arc which doesn't even look like it will conclude until at least 2 more chapters, while the anime is making it's way into the actual tournament while we're still in this mini preparation arc.

I feel like the anime should take more notes on the manga because even with both the manga and the anime's pros and cons, the manga's story to me just feels like the more superior story of Super even though the anime is the more "official version." That's why I want the manga to be ahead of the anime. I just like the manga's story better, and it has more of this "Toriyama feel" to it.

With the manga ahead of the anime, the anime could basically reflect the manga's story into the anime's with a few minor changes here and there so it won't exactly be the same. I just want things to go back to normal, like how The Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z manga was ahead of the anime, and even recently how Super's manga was ahead of the anime until the anime surpassed the manga during the Universe 6/7 tournament arc.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: When will the manga surpass the anime again?

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:42 pm

For the anime to copy the manga, that would mean that the manga would have to be really far ahead of the anime at all times. Unless the Manga skips a huge chunk of the story or the anime goes into a thousand episodes of filler, then the manga will probably never be ahead of the anime again.

The monthly schedule of the manga makes it to slow to be ahead of the anime. It's why it got passed up in the first place.

If I remember correctly though, Toyotaro has sent some panels of the Universal Survival arc that he did to Toei. So maybe they're already taking some notes from him. But we will have to wait for the manga to get there to see just how much.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:45 pm

I think Toyotaro underestimated how many more chapters he was going to have left with the future trunks arc. So at the time, he probably had an idea but at this point in time, I doubt it.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:24 pm

It's quite possible the manga will skip the exhibition matches and the vast majority of training/build-up episodes once it gets to the current arc. So if they skip all that after the intro episodes, they could catch up fast.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:37 pm

precita wrote:It's quite possible the manga will skip the exhibition matches and the vast majority of training/build-up episodes once it gets to the current arc. So if they skip all that after the intro episodes, they could catch up fast.
That's most likely what they're going to do. The anime seems to be dragging everything out so the manga catching up won't be hard at all.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:49 pm

Even if the manga does catch up, it's not going to stay caught up. It will fall behind again, just by nature of it's schedule.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Boo Machine wrote:Even if the manga does catch up, it's not going to stay caught up. It will fall behind again, just by nature of it's schedule.
It depends on the anime's pacing, if things are fast like the U6 arc then yeah but if they're as slow as they are now then chances are it won't happen.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:49 pm

sintzu wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:Even if the manga does catch up, it's not going to stay caught up. It will fall behind again, just by nature of it's schedule.
It depends on the anime's pacing, if things are fast like the U6 arc then yeah but if they're as slow as they are now then chances are it won't happen.
I have a feeling that they're only going slow now because they want the manga to surpass the anime, so they're just dragging things out as much as they can. That's what I believe.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:56 pm

superfan2024 wrote: I have a feeling that they're only going slow now because they want the manga to surpass the anime, so they're just dragging things out as much as they can. That's what I believe.
It's more likely that they're just giving themselves some breathing room for the more important episodes so that they actually come out looking decent . Toei is already working with Toyotaro and Toriyama. They don't need to wait for the manga.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:20 pm

If the manga does skip the exhibition matches then Buu won't get a single fight in the manga. I also wonder how they'll handle Goku/Toppo's first meeting then if they don't fight. I also wonder if stuff like Gohan gaining his ultimate form back or Goku meeting 17 will be glossed over or extremely short in the manga, like 1-2 pages each and that's it.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Gohan's last appearance, in Toyotaro's adaption, was in the Battle of Gods arc. He wasn't featured in a storyline that relinquished his Old Kaioshin powers therefore the author isn't inclined to repeat the beat. To the rest of your message: It will likely, assuredly be a separate & natural take from what the anime adaption executed.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:46 pm

precita wrote:I also wonder how they'll handle Goku/Toppo's first meeting then if they don't fight.
The manga didn't include Goku and Zamasu's initial meeting/fight, despite that being a pretty major plot point in the anime. So, it's entirely possible Toyotaro will do things very differently with that too.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:56 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
precita wrote:I also wonder how they'll handle Goku/Toppo's first meeting then if they don't fight.
The manga didn't include Goku and Zamasu's initial meeting/fight, despite that being a pretty major plot point in the anime. So, it's entirely possible Toyotaro will do things very differently with that too.
It all depends on what Toriyama's outline is like, Goku and Zamasu's initial meeting wasn't actually that important as a plot point, but only as a flavour point (Adding a much more personal flair to Zamasu's hatred for Goku). And as it stands, Goku and Toppo meeting doesn't actually seem to be an important plot point aside from showing us that Jiren is going to be tough. So, skipping it wouldn't be out of the question.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:36 am

I hypothesized back when Toyotaro first suggested this that the manga would actually jump ahead to the next arc, perhaps in a way that flows a bit better than the RoF. While I'm less confident now, since the tournament seems to be such a big deal, I wouldn't be surprised if Toyotaro did skip over to another Toriyama story.
Retired.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:07 am

Toyotaro never said the manga will pass the anime, and it's very annoying how this misinformation keeps getting thrown around as fact
He said soon he personally will be ahead of the anime, and will be sending info to Toei. He's ahead right now, and has been ahead since the original trailer for this arc

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:32 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Toyotaro never said the manga will pass the anime, and it's very annoying how this misinformation keeps getting thrown around as fact
He said soon he personally will be ahead of the anime, and will be sending info to Toei. He's ahead right now, and has been ahead since the original trailer for this arc
He didn't technically say it, but there was a strong implication there at the time. You don't say "I'm going to be ahead of the anime" with no further clarification if the work you're known for isn't following you there. Granted, it could have been poor, or even contractually restricted language on his part, and now it looks more likely that he wasn't actually referring to the manga, but I wouldn't call any of it "misinformation" per se.
Retired.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:57 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Toyotaro never said the manga will pass the anime, and it's very annoying how this misinformation keeps getting thrown around as fact
I believe you, but do you mind adding a source that proves this please?

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Interview: Dragon Ball Super's Toyotarou wrote:What is your relationship with the Dragon Ball Super anime?

At this point, I'm not very involved with it. I think going forward, I'll be more involved, but at this point in time, I actually receive more information from the anime team than I give to them. The anime is a little bit further along than I am, but in the near future I'll be ahead, so the information will be going back to them. Regardless, we'll continue to support one another as we go forward.
While claiming he'll eventually pass the anime adaption, he didn't provide a specific time frame. V-Jump's publication dates & his personal progress aren't necessarily related. Alternatively, we're already aware that panels of his Universal Survival arc were released in a trailer. Presumably, he's even further ahead now than December of last year.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:34 pm

I hope that the manga at least gives a bit of a recap of the fights from the exhibition. The chapters are about 40 to 45 pages, you can probably cram in three fights in it to recap the begining.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:22 pm

I have a feeling Toyo's caught up now. This tournament just feels so Toriyama and Toyotaro like. Is it just me who feels this?