What is Yamcha's voice actor doing

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: What is Yamcha's voice actor doing

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:59 am

IntangibleFancy wrote:As a yamcha fan I feel annoyed at the way he's treated. I don't see any way they can make this up to me. (Unless they have him fight and win against Super perfect cell level enemies in a canon fight) Different taste maybe, but I don't really see how anyone could find this funny. It's pretty depressing if you ask me.

Side note: What if his VA is talking about the game? Sad but possible.
Its fine to like Yamcha but they are under no obligation to make him strong or a serious fighter if that isnt the artistic intent.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:32 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
IntangibleFancy wrote:As a yamcha fan I feel annoyed at the way he's treated. I don't see any way they can make this up to me. (Unless they have him fight and win against Super perfect cell level enemies in a canon fight) Different taste maybe, but I don't really see how anyone could find this funny. It's pretty depressing if you ask me.

Its fine to like Yamcha but they are under no obligation to make him strong or a serious fighter if that isn't the artistic intent.
Fair enough, but you have to agree. Them just tossing aside Yamcha like that is completely silly. He didn't even get a mention. This is suppose to be the arc of fanservice and the only fans that have a right to be dissatisfied are the Yamcha ones. When can we get what we've been waiting for?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:02 pm

Blame Toriyama, not Toei. Toriyama largely used the same lineup for the Return of F movie, only including the two Androids.

Yamcha, Trunks/Goten and Buu were all left out of Movie 15, and lo and behold, the same 4 characters are being left out now.

Yamcha upset fan

Post by Yamcha upset fan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:20 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

Its fine to like Yamcha but they are under no obligation to make him strong or a serious fighter if that isn't the artistic intent.
Fair enough, but you have to agree. Them just tossing aside Yamcha like that is completely silly. He didn't even get a mention. This is suppose to be the arc of fanservice and the only fans that have a right to be dissatisfied are the Yamcha ones. When can we get what we've been waiting for?
we still have this other guy s tweet saying one way or the other Yamchas power will be needed...

I'm really confused at this point, mostly because of those two tweets.
whut? I dont speak pain

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:22 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

He really hasnt received a fair shake fighting wise but Super has at least given him a little spotlight with the Baseball episode and some screen time.

I still cant live in a world where Goten has a line that isnt about Trunks or Goku lol so i feel your pain.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:53 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: the only fans that have a right to be dissatisfied are the Yamcha ones.
I've gotta disagree there. Buu fell asleep again, and Goten and Trunks are being sent to take care of an island and still haven't aged. Still, the way they're actively making a joke out of Yamcha being shafted is sorta insulting.

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:24 am

I was kinda surprised TOEI didn't mock Yamcha in the last episode. They actually respected Yamcha this time!

I do think that Universe 9 will send some assassins to Earth, this time to Bulma's place just to get revenge from the most likely elimination of Universe 9. It's unlikely that Zen-Oh will delete the losing universes as soon as the members are eliminated from ToP. The assassins will be surprised how such a high skilled fighter ( v.g. Yamcha ) wasn't part of ToP.. Hopefully Chaozu will appear too and give Yamcha a hand.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:00 am

Yeah considering how Toshio has stated he wants to write a Yamcha episode where he saves the planet and now he says that his power will be needed, I see there being a side story involving Yamcha.

I hope he gets to use all his old techniques plus a few new ones based of baseball or something.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:57 am

Now I hope Yamcha is about to get the B side during the tournament. Optimistically, maybe he'll be better suited to a solo side story adventure where he can be the lead than having to play 10th fiddle to the Uni 7 team at the tournament.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:Now I hope Yamcha is about to get the B side during the tournament. Optimistically, maybe he'll be better suited to a solo side story adventure where he can be the lead than having to play 10th fiddle to the Uni 7 team at the tournament.
Or they could do a subplot where Yamcha tries to win back Bulma because everyone is gone to the tournament and Goten and Trunks are at 17's island.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:42 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Now I hope Yamcha is about to get the B side during the tournament. Optimistically, maybe he'll be better suited to a solo side story adventure where he can be the lead than having to play 10th fiddle to the Uni 7 team at the tournament.
Or they could do a subplot where Yamcha tries to win back Bulma because everyone is gone to the tournament and Goten and Trunks are at 17's island.
I'd want the subplot to involve him fighting a threat since he's not in the tournament. No dumb "slice of life" sidestories.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:57 pm

I think he will be fighting a threat; Furuya wrote like it was battle stuff.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:15 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
IntangibleFancy wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
I still cant live in a world where Goten has a line that isnt about Trunks or Goku lol so i feel your pain.
Hmm. I forgot about the Goten side of the fandom. True, he hasn't had much of his own win throughout DragonBall but I'd much rather Yamcha be a confirmed above-Freeza-saga tier cheerleader than the heartbreaking butt-monkey he is now.

His whole sub part in this arc brought a tear to my eye.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:18 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
I'd want the subplot to involve him fighting a threat since he's not in the tournament. No dumb "slice of life" sidestories.
I think if he does fight someone, it'll be similar to those random enemies that Freeza killed when the mouse God tried to assassin him and Goku. Only different designs/enemies with a different story.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:27 pm

precita wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
I think if he does fight someone, it'll be similar to those random enemies that Freeza killed when the mouse God tried to assassin him and Goku. Only different designs/enemies with a different story.
That's the thing that'd upset me. Any fighter could fight off against low level mooks. Yamcha needs to fight somebody above the Frieza saga.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:07 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:That's the thing that'd upset me. Any fighter could fight off against low level mooks. Yamcha needs to fight somebody above the Frieza saga.
So basically, someone above the Ginyu's? :eh:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:00 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
precita wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote: I'd want the subplot to involve him fighting a threat since he's not in the tournament. No dumb "slice of life" sidestories.
That's the thing that'd upset me. Any fighter could fight off against low level mooks. Yamcha needs to fight somebody above the Frieza saga.
He needs to fight someone that can get the power level discussions exploding again... :D
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:01 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
precita wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote: I'd want the subplot to involve him fighting a threat since he's not in the tournament. No dumb "slice of life" sidestories.
Same, I'd want him to fight someone who is considerably powerful. Issue is how to establish them at that level. I guess you could have the guy destroy a planet or two before heading to Earth.

Best case scenario is Yamcha fights off an army and their leader who happens to be strong.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Did we ever find out what the hell happened with this?

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:41 am

TekTheNinja wrote:Did we ever find out what the hell happened with this?
Nope. It's either for the game or an episode in super. Toshio did say Yamcha's power would be needed so hopefully it is an episode about him.