What is Yamcha's voice actor doing

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Re: What is Yamcha's voice actor doing

Post by Wizard Sesame » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Xeogran wrote:???

That is amazing. Not disappointing. Seeing Frieza interact with the Z-Fighters and teamwork with them for once, it's fresh and exciting. How the heck would people take Yamcha who is meme tier at best over something as exciting as Goku/Frieza teamwork is beyond me.
Because I don't care about Frieza? And the idea of a mass-murdering psychopath being offered a chance to get out of hell doesn't sit well with me? I would rather have my universe be destroyed than offer a jerkass that has had two chances to change his ways an opportunity to get out of his punishment.

However, having Goku's plan completely backfire by Frieza actually going to Universe 4, and forcing Goku to have some form of self-reflection would be a great stroyline for me.

Or even if they discussed having Frieza, it was vetoed by everyone so they didn't offer him the chance, but Quitela's spy brought information about Frieza back to the GoD and the GoD went to Earth's hell himself to recruit him just to screw over Beerus would have been even more interesting to me.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:57 am

Jaetinh wrote:Because some people actually like Yamcha and care more about him than Frieza, how the hell is that a surprise to you?
Yamcha is a joke of a character, never did anything relevant. Frieza is a well respected villain.

People only care about Yamcha because of memes, and probably would laugh at him dying again. Such a great 10th member, much potential.

God forbidd the Tournament of Power being serious, we need muh memes.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:14 am

Xeogran wrote:
Jaetinh wrote:Because some people actually like Yamcha and care more about him than Frieza, how the hell is that a surprise to you?
Yamcha is a joke of a character, never did anything relevant. Frieza is a well respected villain.

People only care about Yamcha because of memes, and probably would laugh at him dying again. Such a great 10th member, much potential.

That is entirely wrong, I hate the god damn memes. I want Yamcha (one of my favorite characters in the whole damn franchise) to be treated with some respect for once and THAT is why I want him in the Tournament of Power. I don't want Frieza because I'm sick of the bastard. I honestly don't see what's so 'interesting' about him coming back again.

Generico Garbagio
Beyond Newbie

Post by Generico Garbagio » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:18 am

TekTheNinja wrote:
Xeogran wrote:

That is entirely wrong, I hate the god damn memes. I want Yamcha (one of my favorite characters in the whole damn franchise) to be treated with some respect for once and THAT is why I want him in the Tournament of Power. I don't want Frieza because I'm sick of the bastard. I honestly don't see what's so 'interesting' about him coming back again.
But Yamcha is not strong. People don't want him in the ToP because he is strong, they want him in for the same reason Roshi is in... So he can get a chance to do something. All we are saying is give Yamcha a chance.

If you did read it please tell me how.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:19 am

I'd say it's possible he might be voicing some other character. With so many fighters to be at the tournament, it might mean extra work for the current actors I think, I'm not sure how these things work.

That being said, the problem is that until Super, Yamcha was never treated as a joke in-universe. In Dragon Ball Yamcha, even though always seen as a weaker member and being used for some gag scenes, was always acknowledged as a serious ally in battle. His failures through the story were what turned him into an internet meme and now in Super he's treated as an actual joke, which honestly it's annoying.

In fact, how is Yamcha less serious than Muten Roshi?
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:23 am

Araki wrote:The Yamcha spin-off isn't over yet, it doesn't sound right for Furuya to be doing voice acting work for an anime special that wasn't even announced. Unless it's a VOMIC, which would make more sense schedule-wise.
I have a feeling that even with Freeza around, we can't rule him out of the tournament.
It wouldn't have to be a straight adaption of the comic, though. It could be more fleshed out and the ending could already be decided on. Mind you, I think a vomic is more likely at this point thanks to how busy Toei Animation is.

It could just be that Furuya had a lot of lines during Yamcha being denied or he's working on a video game.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Generico Garbagio
Beyond Newbie

Post by Generico Garbagio » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:53 am

JulieYBM wrote:It could just be that Furuya had a lot of lines during Yamcha being denied or he's working on a video game.
Xenoverse 2 Baseball DLC? :D

If you did read it please tell me how.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:05 am

Rubens wrote:I'd say it's possible he might be voicing some other character. With so many fighters to be at the tournament, it might mean extra work for the current actors I think, I'm not sure how these things work.

That being said, the problem is that until Super, Yamcha was never treated as a joke in-universe. In Dragon Ball Yamcha, even though always seen as a weaker member and being used for some gag scenes, was always acknowledged as a serious ally in battle. His failures through the story were what turned him into an internet meme and now in Super he's treated as an actual joke, which honestly it's annoying.

In fact, how is Yamcha less serious than Muten Roshi?
That's not possible. He says he's tired after voicing Yamcha all day in the tweet.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:09 pm

He also said, "Ill do my best tomorrow too" which makes it sound like Yamcha is in multiple episodes in a row.

Judging by the upcoming titles it doesn't seem Yamcha is in the next few episodes, so I'm not sure what it could be from.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:16 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:That's not possible. He says he's tired after voicing Yamcha all day in the tweet.
Oh, alright then, I suppose I missed that. My apologies.

Whatever it is, I hope they don't treat Yamcha (too) badly.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Wizard Sesame wrote:
Xeogran wrote:???

That is amazing. Not disappointing. Seeing Frieza interact with the Z-Fighters and teamwork with them for once, it's fresh and exciting. How the heck would people take Yamcha who is meme tier at best over something as exciting as Goku/Frieza teamwork is beyond me.
Because I don't care about Frieza? And the idea of a mass-murdering psychopath being offered a chance to get out of hell doesn't sit well with me? I would rather have my universe be destroyed than offer a jerkass that has had two chances to change his ways an opportunity to get out of his punishment.

However, having Goku's plan completely backfire by Frieza actually going to Universe 4, and forcing Goku to have some form of self-reflection would be a great stroyline for me.

Or even if they discussed having Frieza, it was vetoed by everyone so they didn't offer him the chance, but Quitela's spy brought information about Frieza back to the GoD and the GoD went to Earth's hell himself to recruit him just to screw over Beerus would have been even more interesting to me.
Dude really? Youd kill of billions of clueless innocent people rather than give yourself a better chance? This is a threat 10x worse than anytjing Frieza has or could do.

Its fine to love Yamcha...but most of us already think its complete and utter BS that guys like Tien and Roshi can compete. To add Yamcha would just make this arc a bigger disappointment roster wise IMO.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:32 pm

You misunderstood him, he'd destroy a FUCKING UNIVERSE because he wouldnt let go of a grudge. I dont want to forgive Freeza but that's just stupid. I know Frieza is a shitty person but by doing that but a whole FREAKING UNIVERSE shouldnt pay the prize for a grudge.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:41 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:Dude really? Youd kill of billions of clueless innocent people rather than give yourself a better chance? This is a threat 10x worse than anytjing Frieza has or could do.

Its fine to love Yamcha...but most of us already think its complete and utter BS that guys like Tien and Roshi can compete. To add Yamcha would just make this arc a bigger disappointment roster wise IMO.
I wouldn't be killing anyone, the King of the Universe would be erasing everyone. If it was me, I wouldn't have asked for a tournament in the first place so the Earth/rest of creation wouldn't be in the position in the first place.

As for adding Yamcha, I understand the context of the original question being Frieza vs Yamcha, but I wasn't directly implying that I'd choose Yamcha. I never said not to try to win, I said I wouldn't be giving Frieza the opportunity to escape his punishment. If he would be willing to fight for the day without getting anything in return, sure, go for it and use him. There is no prize for him at the end, he doesn't want to do it, too bad; it would be a take it or leave it offer, one day out of hell in exchange for fighting. If he doesn't take it, use the Dragon Balls to wake Buu up. Use the Dragon Balls to search for someone in Universe that can offer a better chance. Use the Dragon Balls to find someone in Heaven, a new character, that has strength enough to help. And just because the Earth dragon balls won't be able to resurrect him in the end doesn't matter, it's the offer that I care about in the first place.

They had other options, the only reason why the didn't use them is because this is a television show meant for profit and having countless of excess episodes to go through all the options isn't sustainable; this isn't real life. No one is really going to be dying in this.
Last edited by Wizard Sesame on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:53 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You misunderstood him, he'd destroy a FUCKING UNIVERSE because he wouldnt let go of a grudge. I dont want to forgive Freeza but that's just stupid. I know Frieza is a shitty person but by doing that but a whole FREAKING UNIVERSE shouldnt pay the prize for a grudge.
You caught me, I'm actually the Omni-King that will be going around destroying all universes. :lol:

It has nothing to do with a grudge. I said I would rather have MY universe, as in me, be destroyed than allow Frieza the opportunity to escape his punishment. I never said I would risk anyone else's universe or the universe as a whole if this were to happen in real life. And I said escape his punishment opportunity, not that I don't think it's perfectly fine to offer him the chance to fight. You're looking at it from an in universe perspective when the question was out of universe.

Don't look at it from a Watsonian answer, when it was meant to be Doylist. It's why I said I like the idea of Goku's plan backfiring almost immediately: it was only from a writing standpoint, not from a "this is actually our lives now" answer.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:18 am

Wizard Sesame wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You misunderstood him, he'd destroy a FUCKING UNIVERSE because he wouldnt let go of a grudge. I dont want to forgive Freeza but that's just stupid. I know Frieza is a shitty person but by doing that but a whole FREAKING UNIVERSE shouldnt pay the prize for a grudge.
You caught me, I'm actually the Omni-King that will be going around destroying all universes. :lol:

It has nothing to do with a grudge. I said I would rather have MY universe, as in me, be destroyed than allow Frieza the opportunity to escape his punishment. I never said I would risk anyone else's universe or the universe as a whole if this were to happen in real life. And I said escape his punishment opportunity, not that I don't think it's perfectly fine to offer him the chance to fight. You're looking at it from an in universe perspective when the question was out of universe.

Don't look at it from a Watsonian answer, when it was meant to be Doylist. It's why I said I like the idea of Goku's plan backfiring almost immediately: it was only from a writing standpoint, not from a "this is actually our lives now" answer.
You misunderstood me, I didnt mean to say you are erasing ALL the universes, I meant to say "Your universe?" as in "Chill, I'm only killing billions not trillions, after all is my universe and its my right so shush it! :mrgreen: :wave: :thumbup: " and to that I say :thumbdown:

If you'd say you'd kill yourself only, I would still object but it would be massively less selfish.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:39 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You misunderstood me, I didnt mean to say you are erasing ALL the universes, I meant to say "Your universe?" as in "Chill, I'm only killing billions not trillions, after all is my universe and its my right so shush it! :mrgreen: :wave: :thumbup: " and to that I say :thumbdown:

If you'd say you'd kill yourself only, I would still object but it would be massively less selfish.
Again, it was a Doylist answer. As in, from a writing standpoint. There are and were other avenues to pursue, which is why I was answering a question of "why would anyone be against it?" Because it does not sit well with me. That's all.

I agree, if you focus on that sentence alone, it sounds bad, but by doing that, it loses all context when not framed with both the sentences before and after it. I was saying I would have written Universe 7 to lose and have the universe be destroyed because of it then bring in the Frieza storyline of requesting the Dragon Balls to resurrect himself if I were writing Dragon Ball Super. But it's cool, no reason to continue the conversation since the Frieza storyline is happening and I'm just along for the ride.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:36 am

Ok,Ok. I was mean. Sorry about that.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:17 am

My main issue with Frieza is it's so bloody obvious he's going to betray the U7 team that having him on there seems more of a liability than a help.
Either he's going to try and defeat anyone Piccolo's level and below whilst Goku and Vegeta are busy, he's going to make a deal with another universe or he's going to kill someone specifically to disqualify the team. This is the guy who would rather kill himself than admit defeat at the hands of Goku and Vegeta.

Yamcha meanwhile is (supposed) to be a trusted friend to the gang, although Super seems to have altered this friendship so they no longer even think about the guy unless he's in front of them, and actually wants to enter the damn tournament in the first place unlike everyone bar Piccolo.
The Spirit Ball is also a pretty handy move for ring outs if you think about it; it's a ball of ki that doesn't explode on contact but is designed to be perfectly controlled and knock opponents around. It's technically a better move for the tournament that focuses on knocking people out than Krillin and Frieza's discs. From an in universe perspective trusting Yamcha or literally any other character to be the tenth makes more sense than trusting the mass murderer who hates you all more than he hates his own demise.

Back on topic; I'm hoping that tweet means Yamcha gets at least gets another day in the limelight episode. The Baseball one was genuinely great and even though Yamcha ultimately gets made fun of, for that first half he gets to do SOMETHING fairly cool looking. I don't mind him being the butt of the joke if he occasionally gets to look cool too.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Wizard Sesame wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:Dude really? Youd kill of billions of clueless innocent people rather than give yourself a better chance? This is a threat 10x worse than anytjing Frieza has or could do.

I wouldn't be killing anyone, the King of the Universe would be erasing everyone. If it was me, I wouldn't have asked for a tournament in the first place so the Earth/rest of creation wouldn't be in the position in the first place.

As for adding Yamcha, I understand the context of the original question being Frieza vs Yamcha, but I wasn't directly implying that I'd choose Yamcha. I never said not to try to win, I said I wouldn't be giving Frieza the opportunity to escape his punishment. If he would be willing to fight for the day without getting anything in return, sure, go for it and use him. There is no prize for him at the end, he doesn't want to do it, too bad; it would be a take it or leave it offer, one day out of hell in exchange for fighting. If he doesn't take it, use the Dragon Balls to wake Buu up. Use the Dragon Balls to search for someone in Universe that can offer a better chance. Use the Dragon Balls to find someone in Heaven, a new character, that has strength enough to help. And just because the Earth dragon balls won't be able to resurrect him in the end doesn't matter, it's the offer that I care about in the first place.

They had other options, the only reason why the didn't use them is because this is a television show meant for profit and having countless of excess episodes to go through all the options isn't sustainable; this isn't real life. No one is really going to be dying in this.
I just meant youd be willing to have a lesser chance. I understand you personally wouldnt be erasing them.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:38 am

Okay, we now have news about a new Dragon Ball game coming for Ps4 and xbox in early 2018. Guess he was just doing voice work for the game then. If this is connected with Furuya's tweet, then we wont see Yamcha for a while in DBS. Shame.