What happens to Whis after Beerus' dies?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FVVOID

What happens to Whis after Beerus' dies?

Post by FVVOID » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:25 am

Hello. This is my first day here! I came here because I had a question concerning Dragon Ball Super, and I thought the people in this community would have the answers.

So, what actually happens to Whis after Beerus dies? I remember Whis saying he will become inactive after the death of Beerus. Did he mean that his body becomes inactive, deactivated (in stasis), or that his title (and what comes with the title) as an angel attendant becomes inactive (disabled) while still able to use his body? When you explain me this, could you all provide me with manga and or anime scans with the manga chapters and or anime episodes in which whis explains what happens to him after Beerus dies?

FVVOID

FVVOID

Re: What happens to Whis after Beerus' dies?

Post by FVVOID » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:57 am

Also, this will help me with a hypothesis I am currently forming.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:00 am

I think they just mean he becomes inactive in the terms of his job. He simply doesn't act as mentor for the time being. He'd probably go somewhere else.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:30 am

This is Kaioshin's line in the anime as he's explaining where Whis is:
"天使は使える神が死ぬと、次の神が合わられるまで、機能を停止するのです."
(Tenshi wa tsukaeru kami ga shinu to, tsugi no kami ga awarareru made, kinou o teishi suru no desu.)

"When the god an angel serves dies, until the next god appears, the angel ceases to function."
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (paging Herms), but as far as I can tell, the phrases used for "function" and "suspend" in this case (機能 and 停止) imply a sort of mechanical cessation, rather than simply being removed from a post.

I lean strongly toward the interpretation of the angels' bodies locking up being the correct one.

You can also judge yourself based on the kinds of example sentences 機能 (kinou) appears in in major Japanese dictionaries: http://jisho.org/search/%E6%A9%9F%E8%83 ... 3sentences
Last edited by Cipher on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:43 am

Arugela wrote:I think they just mean he becomes inactive in the terms of his job. He simply doesn't act as mentor for the time being. He'd probably go somewhere else.
Whis made it sound like he could no longer do anything after the god of destruction dies. I think it was his explanation on why he didn't help in the future.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:02 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they just turn to stone, similar to the way Dabura's spit turned Piccolo and Krillin to stone in the Buu saga.

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:07 am

Wouldn't the angel simply be sent to its place of origin while not occupying a God?
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

FVVOID

Post by FVVOID » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Thank you for responding!!! I also thought that an angel's body would not function after the death of the God Of Destruction which they attend to. If people have images/screen shots in the anime when Whis explains it or manga scans when he also explains, be my guest. Now, I will make another topic in dragon ball super concerning Whis.

FVVOID

FVVOID

Post by FVVOID » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Also Cipher, when does Kaioshin explain this??? Around which episode??

FVVOID

Post by FVVOID » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:35 pm

Oh wait. I found a YouTube video of the scene.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZrZqAt3YYQ

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:47 pm

Cipher wrote:This is Kaioshin's line in the anime as he's explaining where Whis is:
天使は使える神が死ぬと、次の神が合わられるまで、機能を停止するのです."
Your translation is correct, but you've transcribed the original Japanese with the wrong kanji. The actual sentence is:
天使は仕える神が死ぬと次の神が現れるまで機能を停止するのです。
仕える="to serve", but 使える="to be useful" (which would invert the relationship, implying the angels use the gods rather than serve them)
現れる="to appear", but 合 is the kanji for "to fit together/merge".

This site posts up the Japanese closed captioning for each episode, so if you want to cite the Japanese dialogue that's the best source.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (paging Herms), but as far as I can tell, the phrases used for "function" and "suspend" in this case (機能 and 停止) imply a sort of mechanical cessation, rather than simply being removed from a post.
Yeah, it has a mechanical implication connotation. Which is kind of weird when talking about an angel, but I assume that weirdness is precisely the point. Anyway, here are a couple of examples of the complete phrase 機能を停止.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Herms wrote:*snip*
Oops! Thanks! I knew the vocabulary/kanji difference on the second mistake, so that's a bit embarrassing (that transcription was from several months back during a discussion on r/dbz), but the first was new to me; I thought it was just a liberal use of 使える, but you're right in that it totally botches the relationship as a modifier in that spot.

Thanks for the confirmation on the mechanical implication.

Thanks for the transcription site too. Had no idea that existed.

FVVOID

Post by FVVOID » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Oh, and for anyone who has read this topic would like to read the other topic I recently created about Whis (not to be confused, this is another topic about Whis), here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38891