Frieza VS Buu - Who Is Better For The ToP (from a VIEWER perspective)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Frieza VS Buu - Who Is Better For The ToP (from a VIEWER perspective)

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:37 pm

TheMikado wrote:I absolutely hate hate hate Frieza. He's literally the worst villain for me across multiple genres. So Freeza's return has it me in Hell right now. I have no problem admitting I can barely watch he show when hes on screen. I refused to watch RoF in its entirety, I barely watched the RoF arc, and I struggled through the Frieza fight. SSJ was literally the saving grace of the series for me and my most hated scenes in GT are when Goku faced Frieza.

Ironically Cooler is one of my favorite Villians.
Its totally cool to not like Frieza but it kind of makes me wonder how you enjoyed Z....were you a fan of the original Dragon Ball before Z? GT is horrible as a whole (in my opinion which means nothing so dont take it personal) but I'd agree with the last part...though I do like SSJ4 and the final battle as Gogeta.

Honestly Cell is the only villain I like as much as Frieza (I guess Saiyan Saga Vegeta too) which is why I ended up choosing him for this. I actually dislike the Buu Arc myself aside from a few great moments but like Buu now.
Last edited by GodKaio-Ken on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:38 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
I actually feel Krillin is more iconic to the series and deserves to be there for that reason above Tien. Also above Roshi due to strength so I'm okay with him.

I guess I've just never been a huge Tien fan lol
He is iconic alright to die all the time, my point is that he doesn't bring nothing to the table that Tenshinhan and Roshi can't bring as well, all of them are weaklings.
Aside from Goku, Bulma and Roshi hes really the only one who has been there through thick and thin from the start.

Id say Krillin is far stronger than Tien (whose only feats are anime only) or Roshi which is why I personally left him off.

Others might not feel the same its cool.
He hasn't be there unless you count him getting koed with one kick or trembling in fear all the time or being a cheerleader.
Tenshinhan is weaker than Roshi, therefore, he is far from Kuririn, probably he would lose with a single kick.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:49 pm

The only real advantage that Majin Boo has over Freeza at this stage is that he can regenerate. As far as his Candy Beam goes, which is supposedly Majin Boo's ace in the hole, we've already seen that a stronger opponent easily blow it right back at his direction.

The only issue with Freeza is that he can be an asshole in combat.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:The only real advantage that Majin Boo has over Freeza at this stage is that he can regenerate. As far as his Candy Beam goes, which is supposedly Majin Boo's ace in the hole, we've already seen that a stronger opponent easily blow it right back at his direction.

Well like I said earlier...this is going to be a battle royale...he could easily use the beam on anyone whos back is turned. Also we know there are going to be much weaker fighters than Buu at the tournament...at least half of team U7 is weaker being realistic so there would be plenty of options.

Buu can also heal which would be incredibly useful in some scenarios.

I'm defending Buu but chose Frieza :lol:

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:59 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The only real advantage that Majin Boo has over Freeza at this stage is that he can regenerate. As far as his Candy Beam goes, which is supposedly Majin Boo's ace in the hole, we've already seen that a stronger opponent easily blow it right back at his direction.

Well like I said earlier...this is going to be a battle royale...he could easily use the beam on anyone whos back is turned. Also we know there are going to be much weaker fighters than Buu at the tournament...at least half of team U7 is weaker being realistic so there would be plenty of options.

like i said earlier:

"hmmmm some of you are giving buu too much credit. from a u7 perspective, he would be the much better choice over frieza, but he still has many drawbacks despite his abilities. i don't think that he would ever be able to use his abilities to the fullest in the tournament of power (as he is now (not sleeping, i mean in his current form)).

i mean think about it. he was the same in terms of abilities and power when he was first awoken back in dragon ball z, but even hercule was easily able to manipulate and befriend him. imagine all the much smarter fighters than him in the tournament with opportunities to trick and manipulate him. the moment they find out he is an idiot is the moment he becomes a liability for team u7. they can easily try to bribe him with promises of gifts, exclusive food and desserts, etc. he almost pushed beerus to destroy earth over fucking pudding for crying out loud. if there is an enemy in the tournament with at least minor mental manipulation capabilities, buu is an extreme detriment.

besides, we don't even know if buu can understand the stakes of the tournament of power. he was there in the exhibition match when everything was explained, but who's to say that he was even listening? he didn't even understand the situation he was in as it took hercule to trick him into fighting, making him think it's "play time". even then, it was clear that he could not comprehend that he was in the presence of deities. without hercule there in the tournament, buu might be a loose canon. it's clear that buu kinda understands the concept of killing, but he only vaguely understands what it means for living beings to die, and he has no ethics. he only gets mad when hercule or his dog gets hurt. he'd probably go on a killing spree during the tournament if the mood strikes him.

and if buu manages to consume anyone in the tournament he might end up switching sides, unless he consumes someone from u7 which could turn into a problem."

u7's best chance is likely to stand clear of large battles and set up a protective area, since goku and vegeta will probably go off to have their pissing contest, the bulk of the team can't afford to draw that kind of attention. buu won't understand any of that. i know what you mean though.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:46 pm

The problem with Buu is that he can be fun in small dosis, but a very limited character that probably makes him a tough write in a serious situation. He pretty much only interacts with Mr. Satan, he doesn't say much, doesn't care about a lot and yet can be easily manipulated.
I think it's safe to assume at this point that Toriyama doesn't have a strong interest in writing for him, or just doesn't find anything interesting to do about him. I was tired of Freeza too, but the last couple episodes are a sign there's a potential and interesting new angle that can be done with his comeback this time, not to mention giving RoF some relevance above a "filler" arc/movie. I think i wasn't paying attention to how, storytelling-wise, Freeza makes things a ton more interesting than Buu could ever do.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Kastex wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

like i said earlier:

"hmmmm some of you are giving buu too much credit. from a u7 perspective, he would be the much better choice over frieza, but he still has many drawbacks despite his abilities. i don't think that he would ever be able to use his abilities to the fullest in the tournament of power (as he is now (not sleeping, i mean in his current form)).

i mean think about it. he was the same in terms of abilities and power when he was first awoken back in dragon ball z, but even hercule was easily able to manipulate and befriend him. imagine all the much smarter fighters than him in the tournament with opportunities to trick and manipulate him. the moment they find out he is an idiot is the moment he becomes a liability for team u7. they can easily try to bribe him with promises of gifts, exclusive food and desserts, etc. he almost pushed beerus to destroy earth over fucking pudding for crying out loud. if there is an enemy in the tournament with at least minor mental manipulation capabilities, buu is an extreme detriment.

besides, we don't even know if buu can understand the stakes of the tournament of power. he was there in the exhibition match when everything was explained, but who's to say that he was even listening? he didn't even understand the situation he was in as it took hercule to trick him into fighting, making him think it's "play time". even then, it was clear that he could not comprehend that he was in the presence of deities. without hercule there in the tournament, buu might be a loose canon. it's clear that buu kinda understands the concept of killing, but he only vaguely understands what it means for living beings to die, and he has no ethics. he only gets mad when hercule or his dog gets hurt. he'd probably go on a killing spree during the tournament if the mood strikes him.

and if buu manages to consume anyone in the tournament he might end up switching sides, unless he consumes someone from u7 which could turn into a problem."

u7's best chance is likely to stand clear of large battles and set up a protective area, since goku and vegeta will probably go off to have their pissing contest, the bulk of the team can't afford to draw that kind of attention. buu won't understand any of that. i know what you mean though.

I dont disagree about his mentality. Satan would probably have to tell him not to listen to the other fighters...they are bad guys who want to hurt us. He still might not get it.

He would be a liability in those ways though.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Freeza by a loooooooong shot, because character-driven tension is always preferable to plot-driven/purely reactionary tension.

That said, I still wish we'd sacrificed Muten "my arc completed satisfactorily before Raditz arrived" Roshi instead, if the writers and storyboard-artists could somehow find a way to work Boo's odd abilities into the tournament.

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Buu is better, no contest here.. Can't be hurt, can copy techniques, can rigenerate, doesn't have stamina issues.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:19 pm

I feel in terms of variety and creative abilities for the tournament, Boo is infinitely the better, though the same goes for the character interactions in how Freeza is infinitely the better choice.

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:34 pm

I feel like Buu would get a ring out on accident. I don't think his abilities matter if he can't stay focused.

Plus Freeza is more interesting because you get to see how everyone copes with having to work together with him.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Freeza wins by a mile, and not even for complex reasons. Boo is a comic relief character, Freeza is an actual character. Boo doesn't have the capacity to create drama, or really even tension. Freeza does. Boo doesn't have an interesting relationship with his team, nor does he have the capacity for interesting interactions with enemy fighters. Freeza does.

All Boo has going for him is his magic, particularly his stretchiness, which provides endless opportunities for fun animation.

Speaking of Boo and new Dragon Ball, I struggle to think of a reason why this shouldn't have happened after the EoZ. If the series is going passed that point, and it will have to if it goes on much longer, I can't think of a better opportunity to show off a brand new young fighter right off his training from a master with godly power than an all-out battle-royal for the survival of the universe.
Retired.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Freeza is the superior viewing experience hands down. While Buu does offer more interesting, and exciting battles than Freeza does with his stretchy body, and wacky, cool crazy abilities, fun for the whole family!

But, that's all Buu has over Freeza at the end of the day, Freeza's interactions with the cast, and what he brings to the table far outstrips what Buu's character is capable of at the end of the day. Freeza would also provide character driven tension for the story as a whole, while Buu would only provide reactionary tension. Freeza's also a fleshed out character with fully realized motivations, and goals.

Also, the my hand slipped gag wouldn't be a thing.
Cipher wrote:Freeza by a loooooooong shot, because character-driven tension is always preferable to plot-driven/purely reactionary tension.

That said, I still wish we'd sacrificed Muten "my arc completed satisfactorily before Raditz arrived" Roshi instead, if the writers and storyboard-artists could somehow find a way to work Boo's odd abilities into the tournament.
I wasn't aware of that fact. But, why would Buu's abilities be a challenge for the writers, and storyboard-artists? I would have imagined his abilities would have been great fun for them on a whole.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Freeza is better because they didn't execute his return the first time around so they have to fix their mistake. Besides freeza personality wide craps on Majin Buu...hos interaction with u7 and other universes is great

Majin Buu ability wide craps on anyone regardless of power differences..its best he sleeps, I've said it before He's too op for a tournament.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:50 pm

julianix wrote:Freeza is better because they didn't execute his return the first time around so they have to fix their mistake.
That's something I've been hearing a lot, but I'm not on board with. You can't correct past mistakes in the present, that's an unfortunate law of not just storytelling, but continuity as a whole. Everything you do in the present is unalterable the moment it becomes reality. It doesn't matter how well Toriyama redeems the character of Freeza now. It doesn't matter if this tournament turns out to be the finest literary work of the decade. RoF will always be there only 2 years behind it, and it will always make his latest return redundant.

It's unfortunate, but unavoidable... unless you're Toyotaro and stepped right over that abortion of a non-story when you had the chance. :lolno:
Retired.

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:41 am

I would have been 100x more badass if buu and frieza were in the same team. The interaction between them would have been more interesting for 2 reasons.
1. We've never had 2 of the original 3 villains in the same team( in canon)
2. Frieza has knowledge of buu from his father. He showed a great deal of respect to beerus and he'll likely do the same to buu. Those 2, frieza was told to avoid.
As far as the OP question, buu is the better pick. Much more versatile and reliable. Frieza is pure ruthless power and this saga so far has put more focus on techniques and skill than power.

blackbewhite2k7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by blackbewhite2k7 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:54 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
I actually feel Krillin is more iconic to the series and deserves to be there for that reason above Tien. Also above Roshi due to strength so I'm okay with him.

I guess I've just never been a huge Tien fan lol
He is iconic alright to die all the time, my point is that he doesn't bring nothing to the table that Tenshinhan and Roshi can't bring as well, all of them are weaklings.
Aside from Goku, Bulma and Roshi hes really the only one who has been there through thick and thin from the start.

Id say Krillin is far stronger than Tien (whose only feats are anime only) or Roshi which is why I personally left him off.

>"...Tien (whose only feats are anime only)"

http://z3.ifrm.com/29/164/0/p9869/11_Ti ... aman_5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Px6MdWa.gif

https://twitter.com/kanzenshuu/status/8 ... 8353369092

http://i42.tinypic.com/2s8pvzs.jpg

http://images.mangafreak.net/mangas/dra ... _10.jpg?v5

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/dr ... 0426065330

LOL. This took seconds to prove wrong.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:35 am

Also don't forget Tien did win a tournament and defeated Tao Pai, so he has some merit to him before Z.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:58 am

Frieza has power and nothing else. He's been used multiple times and there is very little left to explore with his character.

Buu would have had an amazing showing with his various powers and charming personality, but fuck me I guess. Buu falls asleep again because THAT'S clever and hasn't been done multiple times already.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:17 am

blackbewhite2k7 wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:

>"...Tien (whose only feats are anime only)"

http://z3.ifrm.com/29/164/0/p9869/11_Ti ... aman_5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Px6MdWa.gif

https://twitter.com/kanzenshuu/status/8 ... 8353369092

http://i42.tinypic.com/2s8pvzs.jpg

http://images.mangafreak.net/mangas/dra ... _10.jpg?v5

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/dr ... 0426065330

LOL. This took seconds to prove wrong.
None of those are feats. Also please put me on ignore and dont reply to me. I dislike you greatly and have for a while now...Your opinion literally is worthless to me