Master Roshi Targeted in BPO Published Complaint

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Master Roshi Targeted in BPO Published Complaint

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... nt/.117351

It doesn't seem to that big of a deal, but it really does how the writers went too far with Master Roshi's perviness in episode 89 of Super.
Last edited by SaiyanGod117 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hit!!
Regular

Re: Master Roshi Targeted in BPO Published Complaint

Post by Hit!! » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:05 pm

What about when he tried to rape Puar??

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:20 pm

Good!

(10characters)

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Eh, kinda ridiculous. It's his character. Let it be. It's not reality. :crazy:
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Hirovoid

Post by Hirovoid » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:00 pm

DrakenballP wrote:Eh, kinda ridiculous. It's his character. Let it be. It's not reality. :crazy:
It's a show targeted toward kids that played up sexual assault for humor in the episode. It's not surprising there'd be complaints about it.

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Hirovoid wrote:
DrakenballP wrote:Eh, kinda ridiculous. It's his character. Let it be. It's not reality. :crazy:
It's a show targeted toward kids that played up sexual assault for humor in the episode. It's not surprising there'd be complaints about it.
Targeted towards kids? With vulgar language, sexual innuendos, perverted material, blood, etc? Call me crazy, but that's NOT for kids.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Hirovoid

Post by Hirovoid » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:15 pm

DrakenballP wrote:
Hirovoid wrote:
Targeted towards kids? With vulgar language, sexual innuendos, perverted material, blood, etc? Call me crazy, but that's NOT for kids.
It airs at a time specifically aimed toward a kid audience.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:27 pm

I am more than okay with that. It wasn't funny.

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:38 pm

Good because the joke was unfunny and stupid :?
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Seriously? I mean, it wasn't funny at all, but c'mon. I don't want to sound like an asshole, but this kind of complaint cannot be taken seriously at all. Especially considering the fact that this complaint is coming from the same watchdog group in Japan that complained about a kiss on a late night anime and a character eating a banana. I mean, just the fact they've made complaints in the past about content on late night anime shows that their complaints really lack a lot of foundation. It's like complaining about the violence in Game Of Thrones or The Walking Dead.

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:35 pm

Hirovoid wrote:
DrakenballP wrote:
Hirovoid wrote: It's a show targeted toward kids that played up sexual assault for humor in the episode. It's not surprising there'd be complaints about it.
It airs at a time specifically aimed toward a kid audience.
Also airs at a time aimed towards Westerners who are fresh off work; ALSO, airs to correspond with the Japanese air date in many times, ALSO ALSO, it airs differently in all areas of the world.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Seriously? I mean, it wasn't funny at all, but c'mon. I don't want to sound like an asshole, but this kind of complaint cannot be taken seriously at all. Especially considering the fact that this complaint is coming from the same watchdog group in Japan that complained about a kiss on a late night anime and a character eating a banana. I mean, just the fact they've made complaints in the past about content on late night anime shows that their complaints really lack a lot of foundation. It's like complaining about the violence in Game Of Thrones or The Walking Dead.
That's unfortunate. I had a feeling it was an over-reaching conservative group and it was an "even a broken watch" situation. Would be happy to see someone a bit more measured take a closer look at this sort of thing in kids' media. Though that probably happens all the time without Western-entertainment-news fanfare as well.
DrakenballP wrote:Also airs at a time aimed towards Westerners who are fresh off work; ALSO, airs to correspond with the Japanese air date in many times, ALSO ALSO, it airs differently in all areas of the world.
Dragon Ball has always been for kids and that isn't even remotely up for debate. Plenty of all-ages appeal there, but its target audience has always been kids.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:45 pm

DrakenballP wrote:Targeted towards kids? With vulgar language, sexual innuendos, perverted material, blood, etc? Call me crazy, but that's NOT for kids.
DB Super airs in Japan at 9 in the morning which is a kids slot so considering Japan is its home country, it's a show for kids.
DrakenballP wrote:Also airs at a time aimed towards Westerners who are fresh off work.
Keep in mind that what's for kids in Japan doesn't mean it's for kids in other countries. In America for example, if something isn't made for brain dead todlers then it's too voilent for anyone who isn't 18+.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:40 am

How on Earth has Dragon Ball always been for kids? Not even the original series was designed for kids. Nothing in the Anime hints it's for kids. None of the behavior or language or anything else.

The Manga, and Anime, are both aimed at Teenagers, not children.

Japanese or not, it's for Teenagers. It's stated it's for "十代" meaning Teens, meaning Teenagers.

Being it goes from Shonen > Seinen (probably spelled these wrong), and there being no age centric for Teenagers, Dragon Ball would be presumed to fit that category of being aimed at particularly, 12-17.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with liking a kids show. Samuari Jack, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc, I love 'em all and always will.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:55 am

Good. That joke was insanely uncomfortable and not funny at all. I hope this teaches them a lesson about writing Roshi in-character from now on (although whoever wrote episode 94 nailed Roshi's character)

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:02 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Seriously? I mean, it wasn't funny at all, but c'mon. I don't want to sound like an asshole, but this kind of complaint cannot be taken seriously at all. Especially considering the fact that this complaint is coming from the same watchdog group in Japan that complained about a kiss on a late night anime and a character eating a banana. I mean, just the fact they've made complaints in the past about content on late night anime shows that their complaints really lack a lot of foundation. It's like complaining about the violence in Game Of Thrones or The Walking Dead.
As far as I understand, from 2 minutes of research, this isn't "coming from" the BPO. Viewers submit complaints to the BPO and the BPO puts them out there, like the feedback section of a newspaper.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:14 am

DrakenballP wrote:How on Earth has Dragon Ball always been for kids? Not even the original series was designed for kids. Nothing in the Anime hints it's for kids. None of the behavior or language or anything else.

The Manga, and Anime, are both aimed at Teenagers, not children.

Japanese or not, it's for Teenagers. It's stated it's for "十代" meaning Teens, meaning Teenagers.

Being it goes from Shonen > Seinen (probably spelled these wrong), and there being no age centric for Teenagers, Dragon Ball would be presumed to fit that category of being aimed at particularly, 12-17.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with liking a kids show. Samuari Jack, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc, I love 'em all and always will.
It was published in Weekly Shonen jump. Which is aimed at Young boys. Which includes children to as young as 6 or 7.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:46 am

That Roshi scene was very off putting and unfunny. Sexaul Assault is no laughing matter, because that is essentially what was happening. If an old man chased after a woman to try and feel her up or look up her skirt in real life no one would be laughing. There are better ways of inserting sexual humor into the series without resorting to sexual assault.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:35 am

People overreacted to a tame unfunny scene. Next, at 11; Scientist hypothesize that water is indeed wet.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:51 am

I know Muten Roshi was a perv but his gags were harmless during its original run. But his portrayal in episodes 89 and 90 were really off and came off almost like a rapist it was uncomfortable to watch.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?