This is seriously getting ridiculous..

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Re: This is seriously getting ridiculous..

Post by Cursemark505 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Asura wrote:I mean, how relevant has 18 been in Super? Has she been relevant at all? If 18 just showed up the day of the tournament without any amount of focus on her at all I would just shrug and say Okay, the show doesn't want me to care about her so I won't.
Do you not know who she is anymore? It has everything to do with attention span, you shouldn't need a reintroduction to characters just because they haven't been terribly relevant for a while. It's not like they were all off on another planet or something, #18 has been hanging around this whole time, and her personality hasn't changed a terribly huge amount. Not that she got her own episode anyway, but let's say the same about Kuririn. He's not a different guy, it's the same skilled fighter we've known from the start.
You do realize that this show is marketed towards kids and it's also marketed towards bringing in a new audience right? A lot of the newer fans don't have attachments to any of these characters. A lot of older fans haven't even watched the previous series in a long time so they don't have very much investment in these characters either, especially since they've had no focus at all in Super prior to this arc outside a few moments.

It has literally been decades.

Yes there Kai but not everybody cared to watch that (plus it ended years ago and the Boo saga came a few years later and most of the characters were irrelevant in it) and not everyone has cared to rewatch z.
Last edited by Cursemark505 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Cursemark505 wrote: You do realize that this show is marketed towards kids and it's also marketed towards bringing in a new audience right? A lot of the newer fans don't have attachments to any of these characters. A lot of older fans haven't even watched the previous series in a long time so they don't have very much investment in these characters either, especially since they've had no focus at all in Super prior to this arc outside a few moments.
Toei have been using a lot of nostalgic references in Super, so I would say it's for old fans too. It's fine if they want to bring in new fans, that's the job a sequel is post to do, but you don't want to alienate one part fanbase for the expense of another. Which is Super is doing right now, a sequels job is post to keep old fans and bring in new fans-not lose old fans and barely bring in any new fans.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:48 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:You do realize that this show is marketed towards kids and it's also marketed towards bringing in a new audience right? A lot of the newer fans don't have attachments to any of these characters. A lot of older fans haven't even watched the previous series in a long time so they don't have very much investment in these characters either, especially since they've had no focus at all in Super prior to this arc outside a few moments.
I'm not quite sure what that has to do with anything. I'm not asking why what happened happened, I'm asserting that it didn't need to. Let's go here, though. Dragon Ball is still popular and widely available in Japan. You can still buy the manga, the last re-release just finished last year! I'm sure the old TV series still reruns, and even if it doesn't, the entire thing is available on Japanese Netflix!

It's not like Super is reviving zombies here, Dragon Ball is still well-known.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:53 pm

I've been saying this weeks ago. The longer they drag these pre-tournament episodes, the more likely fans will be more critical of the tournament when it finally begins. They are just adding more pressure for themselves to give us a great tournament.

It doesn't matter how good these pre-tournament episodes are, if the tournament itself doesn't live up to the hype, the entire arc is a disaster.

The arc started on February 5th, and it's now mid June. We are running out of patience and justifiably so. I just hope Toei and Toriyama have something planned.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:58 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Cursemark505 wrote: You do realize that this show is marketed towards kids and it's also marketed towards bringing in a new audience right? A lot of the newer fans don't have attachments to any of these characters. A lot of older fans haven't even watched the previous series in a long time so they don't have very much investment in these characters either, especially since they've had no focus at all in Super prior to this arc outside a few moments.
Toei have been using a lot of nostalgic references in Super, so I would say it's for old fans too. It's fine if they want to bring in new fans, that's the job a sequel is post to do, but you don't want to alienate one part fanbase for the expense of another. Which is Super is doing right now, a sequels job is post to keep old fans and bring in new fans-not lose old fans and barely bring in any new fans.
But it has brought in a bunch of new fans and most of the older fans are still here. Most people (that I've seen) love the attention that these characters are receiving. The only real complaints I've seen about this arc are about power levels and length.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I'm not quite sure what that has to do with anything. I'm not asking why what happened happened, I'm asserting that it didn't need to. Let's go here, though. Dragon Ball is still popular and widely available in Japan. You can still buy the manga, the last re-release just finished last year! I'm sure the old TV series still reruns, and even if it doesn't, the entire thing is available on Japanese Netflix!

It has to do with everything this discussion is about.

In your post you made it seem as if everyone should know and care about these characters so they shouldn't bother reintroducing them but you're not taking into account that the situation isn't as simple as that.

No one should have to do any of those things to watch super just because you personally don't think these episodes should be here.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:In your post you made it seem as if everyone should know and care about these characters so they shouldn't bother reintroducing them but you're not taking into account that the situation isn't as simple as that.
I explained in the post you're responding to in painfully unsarcastic detail why the situation is exactly as simple as I'm representing it. You can't just ignore the majority of my post and respond as if I haven't addressed this.
Cursemark505 wrote:No one should have to do any of those things to watch super just because you personally don't think these episodes should be here.
You shouldn't experience the first nine tenths of a story before indulging in the tenth part...

I recommend you begin Star Trek with Voyager
Retired.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Cursemark505 wrote: But it has brought in a bunch of new fans and most of the older fans are still here. Most people (that I've seen) love the attention that these characters are receiving. The only real complaints I've seen about this arc are about power levels and length.
Super's reception is incredibly mixed, and I've seen people say they've beceome a fan of Dragon Ball through Super, but their obviously not coming in heaps though like Dragon Ball Z or other popular anime series. I really can't see Dragon Ball Super as a good gateway anime either, as it pains me to say it...Na- I won't even say it.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:26 pm

I did enjoy the filler episodes between the future saga and the universal survival one, except for episode 68, when Goku wanted to revive Kaio. The universal survival saga started out well and remained that way until after a certain amount of recruiment episodes aired, which is when I felt it began to drag on and on. I point my finger at the second 17 episode (87), the one involving the space poachers, as the point of where things started to decline. I could do without episodes 87-90, except for 88, the Gohan training one. I may enjoy those episodes more if I watched them one by day rather than one by week.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:57 pm

I'm fine with what they are doing. Remember rhe arc started with the exhibition matches, that was action. This was the perfect moment to pause a bit and reintroduce some characters like 17 or Freeza. I'm not entirely happy with all the content, it could have been much better, like recruiting the characters faster and showing some training together, but whatever.
Heno heno kappa!

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:04 am

It's definitely padding, but not filler. Outside of episode 87, and 89, I've for the most part enjoyed the recruitment episodes. Of course the tournament will definitely have to blow me away and I think there's a decent chance it could. I hope it goes on for at least 8 episodes.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:04 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Asura wrote:With all the characters being recruited like 18, Krillin, Roshi, Tien, Piccolo, etc. who we have not heard about or done anything relevant in what seems like forever, I think it's important to have episodes dedicated to each of them.
I'd like to think we fans all have a superior attention span than your average squirrel. If my optimism has any roots in fact, we didn't need those episodes.
You literally missed his point. These characters haven't been relevant for most of Super and they're being reintroduced as new major characters. As said, not everyone watched DBZ and for some they haven't rewatched it in years. It's nice to see the old characters get some spotlight, even if to us hardcore fans we know everything about them.

Had they skipped Goku meeting 17, or Gohan/Piccolo's training with Gohan regaining his Ultimate form, or showing why Krillin would be able to compete against characters with God power....it would be much harder to swallow their participation in the tournament without any prior build-up.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:08 am

precita wrote:You literally missed his point.
Not at all. Like I said before, I totally understand why this was done. I just think it's unnecessary, and probably bad for the arc as a whole.
Retired.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:28 am

It severely comes across to me as if most of you guys haven't gotten my MAIN point.. Which is "the amount of time" it takes for the tournament arc to start.. (7 Months!)
I never said that it's the "filler" episodes themselves i have a problem with.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:33 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:It severely comes across to me as if most of you guys haven't gotten my MAIN point.. Which is "the amount of time" it takes for the tournament arc to start.. (7 Months!)
They're one and the same problem, aren't they? It hasn't started yet because they don't want it to start yet, and they're buying time with ______.

You can't have a conversation about one without the other, I don't think.
Retired.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:33 am

Again, don’t be se’fish: They (the guys at Toei) probably need this time.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:36 am

I don't think anyone missed the point at all. I don't feel It's as simple as "If it takes X amount of time then it's good/bad". If you're asking about the amount of time it takes to get to the tournament then the quality of the episodes between the exhibition match and the tournament is important to discuss.

Some people don't have a problem with how long it takes if they find the episodes themselves to be good and worth the build up. Some don't find much value in them and think it's a waste of time and not worth holding up the tournament. Then there is everything else in between, like people waiting for the tournament itself before they come to a conclusion about it.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:36 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:It severely comes across to me as if most of you guys haven't gotten my MAIN point.. Which is "the amount of time" it takes for the tournament arc to start.. (7 Months!)
But the amount of time it takes shouldn't somehow deter the arc. If someone watched this arc two years down the road when all the episodes were already released, the amount of time is irrelevant

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:07 am

I'm pretty sure you guys marathoned through Dragonball/Z, or any other TV show for that matter, after the seasons were "done" and all finished and available. When Super ends or this arc ends, you can do the same by marathoning through it or skipping eps you didn't like. All your problems of it being "5 months in real life" won't matter after the arc is done and aired and you can literally watch through all these episodes in like 1-2 days.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:41 am

I'm actually happy with the pacing, it really builds up tension and excitement for the tournament proper. Also, it's starting with episode 97, so in two weeks.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:39 am

I would love to see your reaction if you saw the Freeza fight at the same time it was being released in Japan.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P