Tien the weakest link?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Tien the weakest link?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:27 am

In these recruitment episodes, it seems like Tien is the only one that hasn't done anything profound to make him a valuable teammate. Heck Roshi who is the weaker then him has had more build up like fighting his perversion and training with Korin. The moments we had Tien is him blind sighted by possessed Roshi and didn't do anything cool when him and Goku fought Gohan and Piccolo.

That's just me though, what do you guys think?
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

precita
Banned

Re: Tien the weakest link?

Post by precita » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:42 am

Well....18 hasn't done anything either, which makes me wonder why Goku didn't want to test out her power at all. Kinda weird that 18 didn't get her own episode.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:06 am

precita wrote:Well....18 hasn't done anything either, which makes me wonder why Goku didn't want to test out her power at all. Kinda weird that 18 didn't get her own episode.
18 kicked blue Kamehameha from Goku's hand and was beating Krillin with ease.. These events have made their point..

Tien on the other hand, was ragdolled every single time he was on screen, which is ironic because I remember recently seeing many tien strongest alien threads containing a lot of delusional material..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:05 am

Yeah, Ten's treatment in this chapters has been the worst, he has literally only received attacks from others.
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: That's just me though, what do you guys think?
This has already been discussed. You can check here:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38586

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38862
Heno heno kappa!

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:04 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
precita wrote:Well....18 hasn't done anything either, which makes me wonder why Goku didn't want to test out her power at all. Kinda weird that 18 didn't get her own episode.
18 kicked blue Kamehameha from Goku's hand and was beating Krillin with ease.. These events have made their point..

Tien on the other hand, was ragdolled every single time he was on screen, which is ironic because I remember recently seeing many tien strongest alien threads containing a lot of delusional material..
The kamehameha was directed at Krillin not that impressive.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:05 am

18 never gets proper developement or spotlight she's always in Krillin's shadow which is sad to wittness and makes it hard to know her current strength.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:26 am

Lapislettuce wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:

It was a blue Kamehameha and 18 is a SS tier fighter, it's very Impressive, she left a god fighter stunned, it speaks volumes about her usefulness, not everything has to be measured power wise
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:48 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: 18 kicked blue Kamehameha from Goku's hand and was beating Krillin with ease.. These events have made their point..

It was a blue Kamehameha and 18 is a SS tier fighter, it's very Impressive, she left a god fighter stunned, it speaks volumes about her usefulness, not everything has to be measured power wise
But the target was still someone significally weaker than her ! at least we saw what current Piccolo could do he's improved a lot. we don't know how much stronger 18 got although she doesn't train as much as Piccolo.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:49 am

The thing is we have no idea how strong 18 is now. Can she reach god-like power like 17 can? Or is she still in the same place she was in the Cell arc, just above a standard Super Saiyan? We have no idea, and that's why it's a shame she didn't get her own episode.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:50 am

By all rights, Tenshinhan has unique moves in his arsenal that could make him just as creative a force to be reckoned with as anyone else. Unfortunately, the writers don't seem interested in exploring that (which is perfectly acceptable, nobody's obligated to make My Boy™ look good). As such, yeah, it appears that he's the team's weakest link, at least as far as things have been presented thus far. I expect him to be the first member of Universe 7's team to be eliminated.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:52 am

precita wrote:The thing is we have no idea how strong 18 is now. Can she reach god-like power like 17 can? Or is she still in the same place she was in the Cell arc, just above a standard Super Saiyan? We have no idea, and that's why it's a shame she didn't get her own episode.
Funny how 18 is kinda more popular than Bulma but Bulma gets much more screen time just proves how little popularity effects the characters screen time and relevance.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Yeah, i think Tenshinhan is the weakest member of the team, he doesn't use stragegy, he just charges against his opponents like a bull and gets defeated quickly and easily. He did absolutely nothing to justify his presence on the team.

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Tien is basically one rank higher than Yamcha basically. If Yamcha ends up doing something while the tournament of power happens, we might be placing tien in the category of weakest DBZ Fighter very soon.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Let me put it this way, if he ain't the first U7 fighter to go down I'll be shocked.

Tien's a very skilled fighter but as it stands he's the weakest. Roshi and Krillin have been training for some time now while he's been putting his time into his dojo, that takes time out of his own personal training.

He'll give it his all like always but he's likely not going to be a shining star during this tournament.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Its funny how moderators lock topics like this if they are pro Tien. But if its negative towards him they leave it alone and let multiple topics about the same thing exist.

Tiens power has not been on display. As opposed to Krillin we saw all his major tricks solar flar×100,Kienzan and Kamehameha. Roshi needed to be established as a reason for being there. The power of Roshi has been debunked by a DBS writer and the fact that Roshi said last episode he doesnt know how to fly. Its clear they are showing Roshis electric shock will be his major contribution as it can stun stronger opponents. Episode 90 was more or establishing Gohan rather than a failure for Tien. The fact Tien took a beating and still was standing was amazing. Gohan was focused and determined. Him asking Tien to spar with him shows Tien is still over Roshi as Roshi was in the room. You can not compare the Krillin Gohan fight and Tien in this battle as it was two different Gohans. Also the episode was to show team work over individuals. Gohan and Piccolo had a plan. While Goku did nothing to work with Tien and left him out to dry many times. Tenshinhan has been heavily featured. I suspect he will have his major moment in the tournament where it matters. While Roshi and Krillin have already had their moments.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:17 am

JulianStyles wrote: Him asking Tien to spar with him shows Tien is still over Roshi as Roshi was in the room.
Yeah, this is it. They obviously consider Tenshinhan stronger than Roshi in-universe, otherwise they would have asked the old man to spar with them.
Heno heno kappa!

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:35 am

Just wait until you see him kicking arse and blasting people away with his Tri-Beam.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:24 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Just wait until you see him kicking arse and blasting people away with his Tri-Beam.
Won't mean much to me if it's just no-named fodder he's blasting away. As for the thread, he's stronger than Roshi, but these episodes have been making him look quite incompetent as a fighter compared to some of the others. Hard to say if he'll be the first U7 member going down or not, but he definitely hasn't proven why he deserves a spot on the team. Hopefully he gets redeemed, cause the character really doesn't deserve the poor treatment he's been getting.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Let me put it this way, if he ain't the first U7 fighter to go down I'll be shocked.

Tien's a very skilled fighter but as it stands he's the weakest. Roshi and Krillin have been training for some time now while he's been putting his time into his dojo, that takes time out of his own personal training.

He'll give it his all like always but he's likely not going to be a shining star during this tournament.
I believe the same, i think Tenshinhan will be destroyed very quickly in this tournament. He will do the same as always some Kihohos and that's it.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:21 pm

It seems a lot of people are polarized by episodes 89 and 90 which seemingly are just filler and have no weight or indication on what will happen in thd tournament. If Tien was going to be a non factor they wouldnt have dedicated an episode to his back story then turn around and have him in a 2 on 2 match. Someone thats most likely to get elininated first is 18. She has gotten no development.