Iconic (or recycled, depending on your POV) moves/poses Toyotaro's used recently

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

z_cherub
Beyond Newbie

Iconic (or recycled, depending on your POV) moves/poses Toyotaro's used recently

Post by z_cherub » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Noticed these from the recent couple of chapters as I was catching up. The first reminds me of the Vegeta fight in the Saiyan arc. I know i've seen the second, but cant place it...Image

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Iconic (or recycled, depending on your POV) moves/poses Toyotaro's used recently

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:54 pm

There have been callbacks, of varying levels of taste and quality, in both versions of Super since pretty much the beginning.

Goku and Vegeta also struck their iconic Saiyan arc poses in the Champa arc in the manga. Vegeta used the Final Flash, just like in the Cell arc, during the Champa arc in the anime. Merged Zamasu looked like post-Final-Flash-Cell did after Vegetto blasted him in the manga. You have Yamcha doing his Saiyan arc death-pose during the baseball episode. And there are loads more in both versions that I know I'm forgetting.

I think they're fine, largely. I'd definitely prefer if the dosage was smaller, but it's not something I'll get hung up on.

Misirius

Re: Iconic (or recycled, depending on your POV) moves/poses Toyotaro's used recently

Post by Misirius » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Yeah, Toyotaro is awesome!

http://imgur.com/a/Ychw6

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:02 am

Maybe they (both Toei and Toyo) should concentrate on making their own iconic poses instead of constantly calling back, it's cheap, it happens constantly between the pair of them so godamn annoying, fortunately the anime seems to have tonned it down for the current arc (so far) but man Toyo certainly hasn't, I don't want a cheap imitations of Toriyama's work.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:51 am

It's more than iconic poses. Some of the less memorable ones have been used I've noticed.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

It is easier to recycle certain poses and movements instead of conceiving new ones. More than just trying to inspire nostalgia, I suppose Toyotaro might be trying to shave down some of the work in the monthly manga. I can't really fault him for it since being a mangaka isn't an easy job from what I hear.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:20 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Maybe they should concentrate on making their own iconic poses instead of constantly calling back.
I don't mind something like that every now and then but it has gotten a bit much. Super's story also does this with things like Kale being a call back to Broly so it goes beyond simple things like moves.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:59 pm

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Maybe they should concentrate on making their own iconic poses instead of constantly calling back.
I don't mind something like that every now and then but it has gotten a bit much. Super's story also does this with things like Kale being a call back to Broly so it goes beyond simple things like moves.
I know I absolutely hated that recent episode, I mean her appearance was homage enough but apparently they used the dialogue from the Broly movie that was 1:1 and even some of his poses etc. :roll:. I said Toei were doing fine this arc but I totally forgot about that episode.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm still waiting for the best (only) good form of fan service to come into play in both versions of Super: good storytelling.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:21 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I'm still waiting for the best (only) good form of fan service to come into play in both versions of Super: good storytelling.
I think what we're getting now is what we'll continue to get throughout Super's run, Good ideas mixed with call backs to the original and fan service. BOG is still the only piece of true original content that we've gotten since the franchise's revival.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.