Wouldn't exploring other universes just be generic alien planets to the main cast?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Wouldn't exploring other universes just be generic alien planets to the main cast?

Post by precita » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:43 pm

I often see people say they want Goku or the others to "explore the other universes" and go to them. I can understand wanting to visit the Saiyan planet in Universe 6...because well...it's a Saiyan planet and it'd be interesting to see Goku and Vegeta see their race, even if a parallel version.

But for any of the other universes...it wouldn't be anything more than just generic alien planets to us. Like what would be the difference if Goku visited that planet Hit and Frost were on? Or the planet the Justice trio are on? Or the planets for any of the other characters? From what we've seen of them they're just high-tech societies much like our own just with a bunch of alien or animal looking people on them. Like if there's not any major story planned, what difference would it make? Just to see Goku and co. on a different backdrop?

For those of you who want to see this, what exactly is there incentive to see Goku and co. explore other universes? Wouldn't they just be generic alien planets no different than the ones in our universe? What is the appeal?

Ajay

Re: Wouldn't exploring other universes just be generic alien planets to the main cast?

Post by Ajay » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Do people want to just see other planets, though? From what I've seen - and I'm included in this - most appear to want an interesting story based around these new characters, with their world serving as fascinating context and a cool backdrop.

Namek is essentially just the wastelands of Earth with flipped colours and round trees. The characters it introduces, the lore, and ultimately the narrative set around that planet are what makes it so interesting. I think that's what a lot of folks are after, not some sort of tourism arc.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Wouldn't exploring other universes just be generic alien planets to the main cast?

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:50 pm

I don't know about what incentive they would have to explore planets and universes, But many other series manage to make multiple locations unique, Dragonball could probably make a planet or 2 interesting with a good story to tell. Whether the planets are Generic or not is entirely up to whomever designs these locations or makes the stories.

It can go either way.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Well I think its because its already established Goku and/or Vegeta are the strongest in the universe. So people generally feel like what is the point of more U7 stories.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Absolutely yes. It's one of the reasons why the travel throughout Universe in Dragon Ball GT felt so boring, for being generic aliens. I don't want them to explore the remaining Universes, there's nothing to be seen out there except Sadala, Namekusei, Plant and maybe Earth from Universe 6.

But you know what? A game exploring the other Universes might be awesome, an adventure kinda open-world would be amazing. :thumbup:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:14 pm

Ajay wrote:Do people want to just see other planets, though? From what I've seen - and I'm included in this - most appear to want an interesting story based around these new characters, with their world serving as fascinating context and a cool backdrop.

Namek is essentially just the wastelands of Earth with flipped colours and round trees. The characters it introduces, the lore, and ultimately the narrative set around that planet are what makes it so interesting. I think that's what a lot of folks are after, not some sort of tourism arc.
Namek works because they are connected to the Dragon Balls. Unless there's a Super Dragon Ball hunt for some reason, there's no real reason for the cast to leave Earth. They hadn't after Namek.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:29 pm

This big issue is that unless every universes is progessively more powerful it will either drag or be a waste of time. At best you'd have the U7 guys splitting up and fighting each universes bets on their own anyway.

While having 12 universes dose have narrative potential....its mostly filler and this way just cuts the BS and gets to the point in a more interesting way.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:07 pm

The fact that only after one arc, in which the concept of the multiverse was introduced, seven universes facing destruction kind shows you that had nothing really major planned for the how multiverse on the scale of "lets explore every universe in depth". Unless there is a multiverse war, I see no reason to explore every single universe because what purpose would it really serve?

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:23 pm

I think it's the lore. People are interested in seeing how the other universes compare to U7 and the idea of multiple sprawlings and seeing the different civilisations seems like a way to make Dragonball's (multi) universe seem big.

However, having seen glimpses of the other universes, I think I'd rather there was a plot to visit them rather than just going off to say hi to Cabba and the U6 saiyans. Because really, not even Planet Salada, the one everyone seems hyped about is really very interesting right now to me. Nearly every civilization just mirrors Earth. There's nothing weird or wacky out there as of yet.

Heck, we haven't even fully explored U7's 28 planets with life on them yet. There's what? Earth, New Namek, Yardarat and a few dustballs Jaco visits on his patrol that we've seen even glimpses of. In theory there's a planet or two where Magetta and Botamo's species live in U7 as well as Jaco's homeplanet, but the majority of species in Universe 7 are still pretty unknown.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:44 pm

It's not that. It's just that some of us feel that Super hasn't known how to exploit the inmense potential the whole 12 universes lore has.

All the possibilites, the new characters, etc. I don't know, i feel like there's a huge potential there that still hasn't been tapped in to. Of course, the whole TOP thing is a good opportunity to do this, but the way it has been executed is a bit dissapointing. 20 episodes of recruitment of earth characters that we've know for as long as we remember, instead of using that time to explore the other universes and characters, show their backstory, motivation, etc.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:35 pm

I really don't think anyone particularly wants Goku to travel to different universes to see how they would interact, I believe that would prove to be a boring experience, namely due to the fact Goku and Co really having no ties to these other universes that would warrant such a visitation. The only exception would be Vegeta going to planet Salad.

It would be far more interesting to have an episode or two dedicated to key fighters interacting within their own respective universes. However, these stories would only work if they were told well and also had some substance to them. Expanding the lore of each universe would be a good use of an episode. They could expand the lore of each universe in several ways, maybe establish different intergalactic empires. It would at least flesh out the universes superficially.

If the universe itself is going to be irrelevant in the long-run, than expand upon the characters in the universe and how they fit into it. They tried to do this with universe eleven, but it didn't particularly work well because they were friggin power-rangers, and in a story where everything is not that far off of becoming power-rangers, their gimmick died out fast. I would have vastly preferred a filler episode where a character with possibly interesting backstory like Hit got explored, they already attempted to do this in episode 71, but I feel like establishing some key background is important, espicially if the character themselves doesn't have a particularly interesting personality. This would actually give another level of depth to the character, making them at least two dimensional.

Other than creating lore in other universes, which would be interesting though may be irrelevant, they should be spending more time in other universes in order to expand upon the background of the fighters in other universes.