My opinion on Zamasu (Goku Black)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Misirius

My opinion on Zamasu (Goku Black)

Post by Misirius » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Well, I'll follow the Manga turn of events in my characterization for Goku Black.

The progression Goku Black had in the Manga was to me, unlike the popular opinion, even more entertaining to see.

Zamasu starts out as a God who was appointed as a Kaioshin apprentice. In his view, the position he's been chosen to fit in is a position where he decides what's just and evil. He becomes Gowasu's apprentice, and through his learnings, he finds out that the Gods, such as himself, are simply there to watch over the creation of the former Gods. He's been told that mortals, through the Kaioshin's eyes, should learn to become better, and evolve from their mistakes, their fights... their misery. This is Zamasu's first shock: He has to watch over some failed creation, as he views it, instead of stepping in and applying his Justice, like he imagined he would.

After this, Zamasu's hate starts manifesting, and through the Barbarian encounter, he finally sets his goal as he strikes his first kill: He wants to wipe out every mortal in all of Reality. He starts puting his plan in motion: He kills his mentor, switches bodies with Goku, and allies himself with his future-self. The Ningen-Zero Keikaku is finally upon due.

What happens next is what I was most fascinated by about the Manga: Goku Black is revealed as being an "Evil Goku" who is ruthless and kills without mercy, but he slowly starts, in the middle of his similar trates to Kakarrot, reveal that he is from a much higher place than the beings he so despises. After Trunks comes back to his timeline with Goku and Vegeta, Zamasu witnesses his first step back: The warriors that have proven to be stronger than Gods, as he saw in GodTube, are now in front of him. When the fight against Vegeta starts, Zamasu (Goku Black) has his second shock: He's still weaker than those mortals. The beings he profoundly hates are still stronger than him, and prove to be able to push him back. There's one beautiful panel where SS Vegeta is about to Final Flash SS Goku Black, while he's laying on the ground, covered in blood, murmuring: "I can't die to this bastard, I can't die here... I can't let the Plan end with me here...". This to me, shows a God that's struggling. A God that gave everything that he had to become what he, above all things, despises the most, and is now seeing his plans and dreams fall beneath his feet.

His future counterpart comes in, and through numerous healings, he finally unlocks his own Ki in that body: the beauty of a God manifests itself in a mortal body: SS Rosé Goku Black flourishes. He dominates the mortal, and feels reborn, as his Goal is finally under scope.

After the mortals escape and return to the future to settle things, once and for all, Goku Black encounters yet another step back: All the tricks and abilities that the mortals have are pushing him back again, to the point where he sees his future counterpart laying on the ground beside him, even as that same counterpart being Immortal. He reaches a conclusion: Even through all that hard work and effort, he can't put an end to the Z Fighters as he is: He needs to fuse. His journey as a God that wanted to cleanse the Universe of the thing he sees as evil and corrupt, finally ends. After being smashed around by Mortals, after reaching the peak of Beauty, and after realizing his impotency against his enemies, he finally decides to take the last step: To give himself for the Universe.

After fusing, the new and reborn Zamasu overwhelms the mortals, and again, as the mortals always find a way to addapt, he feels cornered... He's enraged, he's crumbling from the inside. After seeing his enemy defuse, Zamasu continues to pursue his enemy, only to see them adapt again and again. This is a God that's been struggling every step of the way. Since the first moment of shock, Zamasu's journey was always about walking through harsh terrain to achieve his goals.

Now (as of Ch.25), we have a God that is blinded by rage, and is constantly multiplying, giving our heroes no hope. What lies ahead of our heroes?

The manga truly gave the idea that Zamasu struggled in his journey, that, after all, he isn't the All-Powerful God as he previously viewed himself as. He's broken, but persistent. because there's only one thing in the entire realm of reality that truly matters: The Ningen-Zero Keikaku: The Zero Mortals Plan.