What is the purpose of Majin Buu's character?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: What is the purpose of Majin Buu's character?

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Majin Boo is in a bit of conundrum at this stage. He can offer a lot in terms of uniqueness in battle but given his characterization and personal development has already come full circle and he doesn't really interact with the main cast outside of Mr Satan, and even then we don't see much of them together doing anything substantial, that any inclusion of Majin Boo with a central plot won't be able to shake of the notion of "Hey, we also have him, too, ya know!"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Which is pretty bad writing. They could easily utilize Buu a lot but they choose not to. I honestly don't know what's going on in Toriyama's mind.

Did anyone notice that since the revival of Dragonball, Toriyama has kept all these characters out of the major story arcs:

- Buu
- Yamcha
- Trunks and Goten

And for a while Gohan. Since Return of F (movie), these characters have been kept out of the action in literally all of Super's arcs. It's starting to become a noticeable pattern.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:36 pm

precita wrote:Which is pretty bad writing. They could easily utilize Buu a lot but they choose not to. I honestly don't know what's going on in Toriyama's mind.

Did anyone notice that since the revival of Dragonball, Toriyama has kept all these characters out of the major story arcs:

- Buu
- Yamcha
- Trunks and Goten

And for a while Gohan. Since Return of F (movie), these characters have been kept out of the action in literally all of Super's arcs. It's starting to become a noticeable pattern.
I think that's mainly because Toriyama really can't come up with any future storylines including those characters that would be entertaining in his eyes.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:58 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Majin Boo is in a bit of conundrum at this stage. He can offer a lot in terms of uniqueness in battle but given his characterization and personal development has already come full circle and he doesn't really interact with the main cast outside of Mr Satan, and even then we don't see much of them together doing anything substantial, that any inclusion of Majin Boo with a central plot won't be able to shake of the notion of "Hey, we also have him, too, ya know!"
I agree, doesn't EoZ/Daizenshuu have a panel showing Mr. Buu defeating Vegeta or something that implies Buu is unfairly strong? Majin Buu is probably too unorthodox to be allowed to compete in a Toriyama-style tournament.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:06 pm

Fat Buu is an incredibly interesting character, not so much because of the character himself, but mainly because of his abilities and lore. While he's roughly only around SS3 power level, he has incredible abilities of regeneration, flexibility, and incredibly high (or possibly unlimited) endurance. It seems they are no longer going to use his absorption abilities, but this has huge potential to make him god level. It seems his candy beam doesn't work on opponents who are much stronger (Vegetto), but there's nothing strictly saying it won't. This makes him much more valuable combat-wise from a regular SS3. Goku SS3 and Vegeta (if he had SS3) are probably far beyond Fat Buu right now, but it's still very significant power even among all the other universes we've seen fight so far.

Lore-wise, to me he represents a part of DB and DBZ they haven't really explored yet, the darker side of the 'otherworld' and demons like Dabura. I think it was stated once that Buu is a demon himself, but I'm not certain, I've always seem him as a sort of demon. Dragon Ball Super seems to have kind of erased the idea of HFIL being an actual place at all, but then there still has to be somewhere Dabura and other demonic creatures would come from (since he is King of Demons), it could be like an opposing set of gods that are more evil. Gods of Destruction don't really seem to be evil exactly as Beerus was once portrayed, but more like keeping order, so it would work to have an actual evil side balancing it out.

Because of some or all of those reasons, Buu is a popular character and they want to keep him around. It doesn't really seem like they know what to do with him though. I kind of liked the idea of Babidi though even if he was annoying, a character who is relatively weak but has special abilities like manipulating evil intentions inside people. They're kind of wasting his potential I agree and some of the things I listed are ways they can expand upon the character. It was a rather poor choice to hype him so much with losing weight and everything and then just drop him though, they should have made him fall asleep during the time they initially showed him training.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:51 am

Obviously, we can't change what's happened in the past.

I did have an idea of how what the character has currently done can be worked into a redemption for the character, in the fans' eyes, at least.

He has to take long periods of hibernation every few months or so, yes? He also loves to eat, and is a bit of a dick at times, but he truly does care for Mr. Satan, his best friend in the whole world. Well, why not add in some story beats based on this?

Buu got really sleepy after training a lot, slimming down, and sparring with Goku, and then he fattened right up again. Well, what if it wasn't JUST his hibernation cycle kicking in, but something else entirely? Before Freeza won me over, I was speculating that Buu had gotten too powerful too fast, and thus his body needed to acclimatize to this sudden increase by hibernation.

Well, we could re-work this to be that this is ALWAYS why Buu has to hibernate. He's building up power, even if minimally when all he does is eat, but he's constantly getting stronger and needs to hibernate to acclimatize to that strength. Maybe have a short character arc where he realizes this fact and aims to become super strong, to the detriment of his friend Mr. Satan when he completely neglects him in training his ass off. Have Goku be the one to encourage this training, but then bring in Gohan to be the voice of reason and bring Buu back down to Earth, figuratively speaking, and bring a balance of a normal life and intense training.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:46 am

He serves as the punchline for a joke now and nothing more.
The writing was on the wall ever since BoG, when the destroyer of 4 Kaioshin, and general threat to an entire universe was unknown to the God of Destruction and his guide in favor of the far less threatening, former emperor of the Universe, who gets a couple of mentions anyways, because Toriyama only has eyes for him and probably sees SS Goku vs Freeza as the greatest part of the story.

As far as these new storylines are concerned Majin Buu's effects on the story are barely acknowledged. The character relationships and improvements others made are referenced, but all of Majin Buu's atrocities are conspicious by their absence, so much so that instead of it being acknowledged, that Universe 7 have less Kaioshin than before by any of their fellow gods, now every Universe just have the one Kaioshin, instead of more like U7 once did.
We didn't even get an interesting reason for leaving Buu out, like the fact he has two Kaioshin absorbed, which would make other universes hate U7 even more for befriending him, instead it's just the tired old joke, because Buu ever being more than a joke would acknowledge he was quite the menace and we can't have that because reasons.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Well, he's still in the opening. It's the only thing he's got left. How long until that disappears and his character will fade into oblivion forever?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Asura wrote:Well, he's still in the opening. It's the only thing he's got left. How long until that disappears and his character will fade into oblivion forever?
They will almost definitely have Buu fight Uub once we get to the timeskip at the end of DBZ.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:22 pm

precita wrote:
Asura wrote:Well, he's still in the opening. It's the only thing he's got left. How long until that disappears and his character will fade into oblivion forever?
They will almost definitely have Buu fight Uub once we get to the timeskip at the end of DBZ.
-Uub challenge buu
    -buu feel asleep
      -The writer and uub will ignore him,the end
        He has no purpose in the franchise, toriyama views him as a plot device/joke which is sad, they could have avoided this with 12 people in the team adding Buu and Yamcha.
          Here's one thing for certain,buu offers nothing interesting in terms of interaction
          Mostly active on discord.

julianix
          Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Buu gets left out of three arcs in super and people overreact and start walking off the ledge..

Isn't it obvious they are saving him for later? I mean I think it's right there in open view.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:56 pm

I think Majin Buu was excluded from the tournament because he's too OP.
          I mean...

- Rigeneration.
          - Copies techniques.
          - Can replicate the attacks just by watching them.
          - Infinite stamina.
          - He literally can't be damaged.

So, how on earth could Toei have handled this character.
          Freeza might be a hell stronger than him, but he doesn't even have half the abilities Buu has.

ekrolo2
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 pm

Boo, more so than possibly anyone else probably should've stayed dead. Unlike say Vegeta who had two good send offs and developmets after and in-between, Boo's just... There. Kind of like Piccolo, his schtick gets resolved and the series just keeps him around because reasons.

I feel like Boo could justify himself if you did to him what Greg Pak introduced for Hulk: mental maturity.

The concept there was that Hulk in his purest green form was at the level of a child mentally but after being around for a decade, he starts to hit mental puberty and gets about as smart as 15 year old. We know from Online Boo goes through something like this but no one in Super wants to do anything with him.
          When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:48 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:I think Majin Buu was excluded from the tournament because he's too OP.
          I mean...

- Rigeneration.
          - Copies techniques.
          - Infinite stamina.

Freeza might be a hell stronger than him, but he doesn't even have half the abilities Buu has.
          You're forgetting the fact that Kid Buu absolutely bodied Mr. Buu despite him supposedly having infinite stamina and being unable to be damaged. Buu isn't as indestructible as a lot of people are making him out to be

precita
          Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:03 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Boo, more so than possibly anyone else probably should've stayed dead. Unlike say Vegeta who had two good send offs and developmets after and in-between, Boo's just... There. Kind of like Piccolo, his schtick gets resolved and the series just keeps him around because reasons.
          Kinda agree now, although it's obvious when Toriyama was ending the manga in 1995 he had no idea it would get a continuation 20 years later, so he probably brought Fat Buu back because he knew the series was ending anyway so he knew he wasn't going to do anything with him afterward.

As I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if Super does pull a GT plotline and have Buu and Uub fuse into one being again. In GT, Fat Buu was essentially gone forever after he fused with Uub since it was permanent, so even GT got rid of Fat Buu pretty damn quick.

ekrolo2
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:25 am

precita wrote:
          ekrolo2 wrote:Boo, more so than possibly anyone else probably should've stayed dead. Unlike say Vegeta who had two good send offs and developmets after and in-between, Boo's just... There. Kind of like Piccolo, his schtick gets resolved and the series just keeps him around because reasons.
          Kinda agree now, although it's obvious when Toriyama was ending the manga in 1995 he had no idea it would get a continuation 20 years later, so he probably brought Fat Buu back because he knew the series was ending anyway so he knew he wasn't going to do anything with him afterward.

As I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if Super does pull a GT plotline and have Buu and Uub fuse into one being again. In GT, Fat Buu was essentially gone forever after he fused with Uub since it was permanent, so even GT got rid of Fat Buu pretty damn quick.
          I'd say Oob makes regular Boo being around even more redundant sibce Oob is just a reincarnated Boo given a chance to be a good guy, we don't really need two of those. It's like having Daimao and Piccolo exist simultaneously forever.
          When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

PerhapsTheOtherOne
          I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:15 am

I feel like Boo could justify himself if you did to him what Greg Pak introduced for Hulk: mental maturity.

The concept there was that Hulk in his purest green form was at the level of a child mentally but after being around for a decade, he starts to hit mental puberty and gets about as smart as 15 year old. We know from Online Boo goes through something like this but no one in Super wants to do anything with him.
          At least with Piccolo, he's become relevant again as a major motivating factor for Gohan to get back into shape and strive to become better than he was.

Buu, though, doesn't have such ties.

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:17 am

Asura wrote:
          Zamasu55 wrote:I think Majin Buu was excluded from the tournament because he's too OP.
          I mean...

- Rigeneration.
          - Copies techniques.
          - Infinite stamina.

You're forgetting the fact that Kid Buu absolutely bodied Mr. Buu despite him supposedly having infinite stamina and being unable to be damaged. Buu isn't as indestructible as a lot of people are making him out to be
          Because Kid Buu was a lot stronger than him and had even greater abilities.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:
          Asura wrote:
          I mean...

- Rigeneration.
          - Copies techniques.
          - Infinite stamina.

Because Kid Buu was a lot stronger than him and had even greater abilities.
          Right, and we'd be reaching that exact same conclusion in this tournament. There would be people a lot stronger than him with greater abilities. Hence, Buu isn't indestructible or overpowered especially if we've already seen him beaten once before (and apparently Goku said he could have destroyed Fat Buu as an SSJ3 back during their fight if he really wanted to, but who knows)

Muffin Man
          Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:51 am

I think Fat Buu was kept around solely due to his relationship with Mr. Satan. That is the entire reason why they had him split off from Evil Buu in the first place.

I mean, just think about how much more streamlined it would have been if Fat Buu's anger had simply caused him to transform directly into Super Buu. Then later Goku and Vegeta could just have removed the two Kaioshin's from Super Buu's body, reverting him to Kid Buu. But AT wanted to keep that relationship between Fat Buu and Mr. Satan.