What sways the Zen-Ohs

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

What sways the Zen-Ohs

Post by Saturnine » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:45 pm

Just had this thought now.

Since the Tournament of Power is set up so everyone's survival instincts are brought out to the extreme, encouraged by the very rules, we can expect most folks to do what it takes to survive, sometimes even stoop quite low (I expect this of U4 and U9). But I think what might make the Zen-Ohs reconsider erasing the universes are in fact displays of selflessness. Say, Goku sees Hit is in trouble, and rushes to save him, even though their universes are inevitably at odds. Of course some alliances might be formed in the early stages, but we're talking late stages here. We might see something like Goku or someone else sacrificing a perfect opportunity to end an opponent to save another opponent, and the Zen-Ohs might consider this really valuable, and rethink their previous way of ranking the universes, which didn't factor in an easily overlooked factor -the character and backbone of the inhabitants. The mortal level is about civilization and technology, but in a universe where there is no conflict, the civilizations will not be used to handling it, producing people with little to no character. This might save U7 regardless of the outcome of the tournament.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: What sways the Zen-Ohs

Post by Lionel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:36 pm

I'm not sure magnanimity would dissuade Zeno from destroying the universes. Wasn't it already established that he was discontent with so many universes existing? Zeno's reasons for wishing the destruction of multiversal segments stems from the convolution of the whole system instead of any moral failings on the part of its inhabitants. With that said, I can imagine Zeno making an exception for those whom he takes a liking to such as Goku. Obliterating his friends and home would very likely tarnish his respect for the Omni-King. I doubt Zeno would want the only person to appreciate him for more than his status to turn against him. Leveraging emotions or relationships isn't Goku's forte, however. If anything like that were to pan out in the anime then it would be treated like a comical cold-shouldering of Zeno to get him to spare the universe.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:26 pm

I'm starting to think the Grand Priest knows Zeno enjoys fighting so much, that the entire tournament was really his idea (and Goku's), because he knows that this will give Zeno a reason not to erase the universes, so he can continue holding tournaments. There's really no logical reason they've said so far as to why he wants to erase them. With the childlike personality you'd think Zeno would rather have more universes than less universes.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:23 am

Zagacious wrote:I'm starting to think the Grand Priest knows Zeno enjoys fighting so much, that the entire tournament was really his idea (and Goku's), because he knows that this will give Zeno a reason not to erase the universes, so he can continue holding tournaments. There's really no logical reason they've said so far as to why he wants to erase them. With the childlike personality you'd think Zeno would rather have more universes than less universes.
I agree with this, I think that's what it will boil down too. Zeno is having too much fun that he'll reconsider destruction of the other universes, if they do this tournament every so often.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:02 am

Zagacious wrote:I'm starting to think the Grand Priest knows Zeno enjoys fighting so much, that the entire tournament was really his idea (and Goku's), because he knows that this will give Zeno a reason not to erase the universes, so he can continue holding tournaments. There's really no logical reason they've said so far as to why he wants to erase them. With the childlike personality you'd think Zeno would rather have more universes than less universes.
I think the Grand Priest is simply being a trickster mentor to everyone, like Whis was when he used the disappearing walkway on Goku and Vegeta. I don't think they're planning on erasing anyone if they do well enough. When Zeno appeared in Future Trunks' timeline, his immediate reaction was "this is horrible. There's nothing here." He then deleted the whole place because "a world like this should disappear!" So it seems like he prefers places that are teeming with life and stuff. I think the worst that will happen is that Universes will be restructured so there aren't so many, either by merging together all the twins (including the four that didn't participate), or by merging all the losers into the winner.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:40 am

I have been going with the interpretation that the Tournament of Power will excite Zen'oh so much that he won't wanna destroy the losing Universes so that they can bring lots of fighters from different Universes to fight in more tournaments in the future.

You could even use this to depict postEnd of Z stories, like Goku training up Uub to participate in one such tournament.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:20 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
I think the Grand Priest is simply being a trickster mentor to everyone, like Whis was when he used the disappearing walkway on Goku and Vegeta. I don't think they're planning on erasing anyone if they do well enough. When Zeno appeared in Future Trunks' timeline, his immediate reaction was "this is horrible. There's nothing here." He then deleted the whole place because "a world like this should disappear!" So it seems like he prefers places that are teeming with life and stuff. I think the worst that will happen is that Universes will be restructured so there aren't so many, either by merging together all the twins (including the four that didn't participate), or by merging all the losers into the winner.
I've always thought this was possible too, that they aren't even planning to erase anything, but are trying to make everyone give 100% effort and bringing out the best of the best fighters by saying they will get erased if they lose.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Honestly, Zen-Oh's a child, what sways him is what's most exciting and fun for him. Like Champa's tournament, it was so much fun that he made an even bigger one. He's child like, so someone like Goku is capable of swaying his decisions, reminding him that the tournament was a thing simply because he's a friend to Zen-Oh at the end of the day.