Why is killing not allowed in the Tournament of Power?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Why is killing not allowed in the Tournament of Power?

Post by Freeza9000 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:54 am

The fact that killing is actually prohibited in the ToP is just inconceivably stupid and idiotic. What's the big fucking deal?! The losing universes and their fighters are going to be erased from existence anyway (which is a far worse fate than simple death), so why even give a shit about that? As a matter of fact, a death of a U7 member like Vegeta or Gohan or from another universe would add a lot of tension and drama to the story. It would also help raise the stakes even more as each member of every universe will be resorting to any means to survive this all out "war", hence the Universal Survival Arc.
Last edited by Freeza9000 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: Why is killing not allowed in the Tournament of Power?

Post by Simere » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:58 am

I doubt it's about morality. It's most likely some sort of "killing is less skillful" reasoning.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:11 am

It's just to keep in-line with a the traditional rules.
Retired.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:19 am

It's also a good way to keep DBS from becoming a gore fest. Some of these fighters would probably rip a dude in half.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:24 am

Boo Machine wrote:It's also a good way to keep DBS from becoming a gore fest. Some of these fighters would probably rip a dude in half.
By something along the lines of a carnage is what makes it all the more interesting though. It really emphasizes how each warrior from their respective universes are desperate for their survival to resorting to any means to win.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's just to keep in-line with a the traditional rules.
Does it have to follow those traditional rules though? Trying something different for a change would at least make things more interesting.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:30 am

Freeza9000 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:It's also a good way to keep DBS from becoming a gore fest. Some of these fighters would probably rip a dude in half.
By something along the lines of a carnage is what makes it all the more interesting though. It really emphasizes how each warrior from their respective universes are desperate for their survival to resorting to any means to win.
Which would make perfect sense if any of the universes seemed desperate and scared for their lives and there was more tension between teams. But they're all just kind of there like it's any old tournament. Cocky and excited to fight. Cabba even runs up to Vegeta like it's some family reunion.

The tones pretty light despite the stakes.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:34 am

Boo Machine wrote:
Freeza9000 wrote:
Which would make perfect sense if any of the universes seemed desperate and scared for their lives and there was more tension between teams. But they're all just kind of there like it's any old tournament. Cocky and excited to fight. Cabba even runs up to Vegeta like it's some family reunion.

The tones pretty light despite the stakes.
Not all universes were there just for the sake of experiencing excitement. Hell, we actually get to see some universes actually desperate for their won survival to the point of sabotaging other teams.

And the fact that there were even scenes such as the ones you've mentioned is bad writing for the arc and the tone being very inconsistent.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:37 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's just to keep in-line with a the traditional rules.
This is what I was going to say. Totally in-keeping with other tournaments (minus Cell Games).
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 am

I think it's basically just because it's Super. If Toriyama had been writing this story back in the day as a continuation of the original serialisation, I suspect this would have been a deathmatch with the standard DBZ-level of weight given to it.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:05 am

Fizzer wrote:I think it's basically just because it's Super. If Toriyama had been writing this story back in the day as a continuation of the original serialisation, I suspect this would have been a deathmatch with the standard DBZ-level of weight given to it.
Toriyama never took that route in his tournaments with the sole exception of the Cell Games, which ended up not actually being a tournament once all was said and done.
Retired.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:08 am

It wouldn't be fair, they went the extra mile to make everything as fair as possible, if killing is allowed contestants chosen would be only be filled with burtes who don't know anything other than mindless violence
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:13 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Fizzer wrote:I think it's basically just because it's Super. If Toriyama had been writing this story back in the day as a continuation of the original serialisation, I suspect this would have been a deathmatch with the standard DBZ-level of weight given to it.
Toriyama never took that route in his tournaments with the sole exception of the Cell Games, which ended up not actually being a tournament once all was said and done.
Of course not, when they were simply martial arts tournaments. Even the 23rd TB, while a set up for Goku vs Piccolo Jr, was a martial arts tournament first and foremost and Goku was following the rules (although Piccolo didn't intend to). The Cell games was about the fate of the Earth, so that was different. The Tournament of Power is about the fate of the universe, so that would be different too.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:19 am

If killing was allowed, someone like Frieza could take out a huge swath of the field with death beams in an instant, blow up the ring, do something like Buu's mass candu beam, etc. It's to ensure a contest of skill and good fights for Zen-Oh's amusement. That's the point of the tournament after all.

I think it's also because the grand priest will reveal that nobody will be erased if Zen-Oh is satisfied, and the winner won't need to waste their wish reviving falled comrades.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:35 am

It's a kid show targeted towards Japanese boys. 80 fighters all together in one spot killing each other is too gory to illustrate.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:42 am

Because killing is easy. Someone could just nuke the arena or slice people up. That isn't entertaining at all and that's ultimately Zeno's reasoning for this set of rules. Which greatly rewards weaker fighters and those more reliant on gimmicks.

It's just better.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:52 am

In Universe: Entertaining Zeno is the goal of the tournament. If Hit just went around one shotting everybody because of Hax then it wouldn't be fun. And I think it prevents someone from pulling a self destructive attack to take out the entire field except their universe.

Out of Universe: Toriyama doesn't want it that dark. It goes along with tournament rules that have been in place since the beginning of DB

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 am

Cause it seems my boy Hit did something to anger the Gods and they be nerfing him since :D

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:04 am

Yep. It clashes and not in a good way with the story they are trying to tell and the kind of stakes they are trying to establish. The tone doesn't match at all imo.

This is not the tournament for the title of strongest under the heavens, it is a tournament of survival and the best way to depict it would've been characters playing dirty and doing anything to ensure the survival of their team and by extension their universe. But, here there are stupid rules and restrictions.

Although, DBS' time slot restrictions would've made killing with no blood and brutality even more stupid like some of the Future Trunks arc scenes, so it makes sense they went with this approach. I don't like it, but eh whatever.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:52 pm

To make the tournament more entertaining and for it follow it the traditional rules of martial arts tournaments. Allowing the opponents to kill each other would realistically take the fun out of the whole concept of the tournament because all the contestants would just go straight to using the their most powerful and hax abilities and skills and the tournament would end in under 5 minutes, and leave Zeno(s) unimpressed.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:17 pm

Just because they can't kill doesn't mean they can't brutally damage their opponents via mutilation or shattered limbs. Whatever stipulations made aren't specific enough to deter from some pushing their adversaries to the brink of death à la Nail against Freeza. I would personally find it more enjoyable if it was a hair-pulling, flesh gnawing, nitty gritty struggle for survival like some are proposing. It better accommodates the subtext of the whole entire event and what it is intended to be dictating. But the show's synthetic light hearted themes and jovial main protagonist would sort of be out of their element, wouldn't they? Not that they haven't already with the previous arc.
Last edited by Lionel on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.