Super Anime adaption of the Manga. Is it possible?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Anime adaption of the Manga. Is it possible?

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:05 pm

If it does happen, it'll be a special, if Toei is willing. They do specials all the time with One Piece. But, I'm not sure if they will

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Bullza wrote:The manga isn't good enough to be adapted.
Trolling? Not sure how you can stand by that mess of a show.

I'd also love to see a DBM anime adaptation. It'll never happen, but that would be pretty fucking entertaining.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 pm

PeanutSaiyan wrote:[Trolling? Not sure how you can stand by that mess of a show.
Nope, the manga has a poor rushed version of the Battle of Gods saga. No Resurrection F saga. A pretty good Universe 6 saga which differs very little from the anime version anyway.

And then there's the Future Trunks saga which again is pretty good but inferior to the anime version.

The manga is not good enough that it warrants having an adaptation. It is overall an inferior product to the anime by a considerable amount.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:38 pm

Bullza wrote:
PeanutSaiyan wrote:[Trolling? Not sure how you can stand by that mess of a show.
Nope, the manga has a poor rushed version of the Battle of Gods saga. No Resurrection F saga. A pretty good Universe 6 saga which differs very little from the anime version anyway.

And then there's the Future Trunks saga which again is pretty good but inferior to the anime version.

The manga is not good enough that it warrants having an adaptation. It is overall an inferior product to the anime by a considerable amount.

It's the other way around. If we look past Super's plagued production schedule and difficulties that the animation staff had its still riddled with horrible writing, caricatures of characters, and loads of other nonsense to the point where if there weren't any Dragonball characters starring in this show it'd be considered one of the worst anime shows in recent memory. I work with people who were fans of the original 2 series and to top it off are paid artists who's job is tell cohesive stories in a narrative and visual format, and the only time we watch Super is when we want a laugh. The laughter always turns into astonishment at just how bad it is and then into resentment against Toei and other shareholders for butchering the franchise. The future Trunks saga started off with a bang but quickly turned into one of the worst arcs in recent memory with one of the most superficial villains in Black/Zamasu to the point where it rivals somebody like Bojack or Broly.

Call it what you want, it's still objectively a pos. Some people (it seems it's the younger preteen crowd) sure get a kick out of it but I'd be embarrassed at this point in my life to admit I enjoy watching such garbage. The manga on the other hand has been a savior considering I've all but written off anything related to Super (God nonsense, Blue nonsense, etc) but it's consistently better written and the characters talk and act like characters we've come to know and love over the last few decades, not to mention the artwork is always consistent. Is the manga perfect? No. But to call it an inferior product implies very rose tinted glasses and I would most definitely not want to browse your Netflix movie/show list.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:01 am

PeanutSaiyan wrote: Call it what you want, it's still objectively a pos. Some people (it seems it's the younger preteen crowd) sure get a kick out of it but I'd be embarrassed at this point in my life to admit I enjoy watching such garbage. The manga on the other hand has been a savior considering I've all but written off anything related to Super (God nonsense, Blue nonsense, etc) but it's consistently better written and the characters talk and act like characters we've come to know and love over the last few decades, not to mention the artwork is always consistent. Is the manga perfect? No. But to call it an inferior product implies very rose tinted glasses and I would most definitely not want to browse your Netflix movie/show list.
Question! or rather a few. In the favor of clearing things up, of course.

What does age have to do with enjoyment a show?

How does it "imply" rose tinted glasses?

And what does someones Netflix list have to do with anything?

I ask for elaboration because these all just seem like random put downs.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:14 am

PeanutSaiyan wrote: It's the other way around. If we look past Super's plagued production schedule and difficulties that the animation staff had its still riddled with horrible writing, caricatures of characters, and loads of other nonsense to the point where if there weren't any Dragonball characters starring in this show it'd be considered one of the worst anime shows in recent memory. I work with people who were fans of the original 2 series and to top it off are paid artists who's job is tell cohesive stories in a narrative and visual format, and the only time we watch Super is when we want a laugh. The laughter always turns into astonishment at just how bad it is and then into resentment against Toei and other shareholders for butchering the franchise. The future Trunks saga started off with a bang but quickly turned into one of the worst arcs in recent memory with one of the most superficial villains in Black/Zamasu to the point where it rivals somebody like Bojack or Broly.

Call it what you want, it's still objectively a pos. Some people (it seems it's the younger preteen crowd) sure get a kick out of it but I'd be embarrassed at this point in my life to admit I enjoy watching such garbage. The manga on the other hand has been a savior considering I've all but written off anything related to Super (God nonsense, Blue nonsense, etc) but it's consistently better written and the characters talk and act like characters we've come to know and love over the last few decades, not to mention the artwork is always consistent. Is the manga perfect? No. But to call it an inferior product implies very rose tinted glasses and I would most definitely not want to browse your Netflix movie/show list.
Yeah.....no :lolno:

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:22 am

Boo Machine wrote:
PeanutSaiyan wrote: Call it what you want, it's still objectively a pos. Some people (it seems it's the younger preteen crowd) sure get a kick out of it but I'd be embarrassed at this point in my life to admit I enjoy watching such garbage. The manga on the other hand has been a savior considering I've all but written off anything related to Super (God nonsense, Blue nonsense, etc) but it's consistently better written and the characters talk and act like characters we've come to know and love over the last few decades, not to mention the artwork is always consistent. Is the manga perfect? No. But to call it an inferior product implies very rose tinted glasses and I would most definitely not want to browse your Netflix movie/show list.
Question! or rather a few. In the favor of clearing things up, of course.

What does age have to do with enjoyment a show?
This is incredibly obvious, although it is not black and white. Disney and Pixar are known for making films that are targeted for a younger age bracket yet the film's narrative as well as it's directing are able to be appreciated by older audiences as well. Super this is not.
How does it "imply" rose tinted glasses?
If you are going to argue that a better written, more cohesive work is inferior (Not even argue, just outright ignorantly state it as so) to one that's so obviously riddled with problems from top to bottom, I think the implication of bias is very strong.
And what does someones Netflix list have to do with anything?

I ask for elaboration because these all just seem like random put downs.
Again, good storytelling through a visual medium is something I appreciate. I doubt I'd find much to watch anybody's netflix list if they consider Super's anime to be better than the manga. It might have been a dig, but also trying to drive a point home that while there is enjoyment to be found in almost anything and it is never black and white, there are standards in filmmaking/comics/etc. that separate good from bad.
zamasu121 wrote:
PeanutSaiyan wrote: y with one of the most superficial villains in Black/Zamasu to the point where it rivals somebody like Bojack or Broly.
Yeah.....no :lolno:
It's actually even worse because at least with Bojack and Broly we know exactly what they are and Toei doesn't try to pretend otherwise. Black/Zamasu was one of the most wasted opportunities in this franchise. What was his motivation? He saw some shit on godtube and decided he hated humanity? Took a trip or two to another planet and saw some generic shit that showcased humanity's violence? Took Goku's body then spent days drinking tea and trying to exterminate a race that Nappa could have handled on his own? The exploration of his character and motivations were so paper thin it's frustrating to watch and even read in the manga, yet people seem to hold him up as some kind of holy grail of a villain. His convictions were weak and more importantly incredibly general. He was a horrible character and the only thing he had going for him was as Black - the "cool", sort of Akuma-esque/Evil Ryu hidden character in Street Fighter games. He's as superficial and empty as they come.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:35 am

PeanutSaiyan wrote:I'd rather Super go the way of GT and become some sort of weird alternate reality that is non canon.
The difference is that GT wasn't written by Toriyama and it was very short. Super on the other hand isn't just written by Toriyama but will most likely be over 200 episodes. It's also financially successful which is the complete opposite of GT so trying to pretend none of it happened will be a very bad business move.

Super, (both the anime and manga) is not prefect but it has finally taken us beyond the Buu arc to places no one thought possible (who knows where we'll be once it's over) so the logical thing to do is to build off that, not start over again.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:10 am

PeanutSaiyan wrote: Again, good storytelling through a visual medium is something I appreciate. I doubt I'd find much to watch anybody's netflix list if they consider Super's anime to be better than the manga. It might have been a dig, but also trying to drive a point home that while there is enjoyment to be found in almost anything and it is never black and white, there are standards in filmmaking/comics/etc. that separate good from bad.
This is wrong on so many levels. I prefer the super anime to the manga and this are my top 10 movies:

The shawshank redemption.
The departed.
Se7en.
Fight club.
American history x
The green mile.
Raging bull.
The thing.
Terminator 2.
Tropic thunder(my favorite comedy movie).

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:17 am

PeanutSaiyan wrote:The manga on the other hand has been a savior considering I've all but written off anything related to Super (God nonsense, Blue nonsense, etc) but it's consistently better written and the characters talk and act like characters we've come to know and love over the last few decades, not to mention the artwork is always consistent. Is the manga perfect? No. But to call it an inferior product implies very rose tinted glasses and I would most definitely not want to browse your Netflix movie/show list.
Well blatant over the top reaction aside, the anime is still superior. As a whole the manga has terrible pacing because part of it is fast and part of it is slow. There's a big chunk missing out of it. Obviously the artwork would be more consistent because it's one person so that's a non factor.

It has too many homages with the artwork and it's simply not as interesting at all. Black who has become a very popular character in a short period of time would never have taken off if he was portrayed as he is in the manga version where he's severely lacking in character. Trunks has been for the most part completely useless. Future Mai who ended up being a surprisingly good character from the anime has been worthless in the manga.

It lacks any of the atmosphere and tension that the anime version had. The sense of mystery which made the saga so interesting in the anime just jumps straight to an answer in the manga.

It's just a boring, straight forward version of the anime version. Even small things like Trunks going to meet Gohan in the present and seeing how different his life has become from the adult Gohan that he knows....there's nothing like that in the manga. Little scenes with Vegeta and Trunks interacting and showing how different Vegeta treats his son now...not really in the manga. Trunks and Mai's relationship was interesting in the anime because it's different yet there's not much of one at all in the manga.

Overlord78
Beyond Newbie

Post by Overlord78 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:19 am

No it shouldn't happen. We already have a garbage anime running at the moment, making another one based of a bad manga is an awful idea. Of course you'll have some idiots who want to watch the same shit twice considering these are the same people wanted the universe 6 arc and the Future Trunks arc to be done in movie format. The story is going to be shit regardless unless they dramtically change the script.

How about we just end Super entirely and hope that a better product will be made in the future.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:51 am

Overlord78 wrote:Of course you'll have some idiots who want to watch the same shit twice considering these are the same people wanted the universe 6 arc and the Future Trunks arc to be done in movie format.
Do you have to insult people because they don't agree with you ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:28 am

PeanutSaiyan wrote:
Trolling? Not sure how you can stand by that mess of a show.

I'd also love to see a DBM anime adaptation. It'll never happen, but that would be pretty fucking entertaining.
By DBM you mean dragon ball minus or dragon ball multiverse?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:44 am

I'd welcome an OVA adaption of the manga. Despite my preference of the anime over the mange, in terms of the medium of choice when it comes to adapting the story points for Super, I appreciate the alternative narrative provided by Toyotaro. And personally think that, with a few changes made in story, an adaption of the Dragon Ball Super manga would be quite entertaining.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:13 am

Yep, I was thinking the same thing recently, reading the manga and thinking "Wow, this is awesome; they should make an anime of this someday". I mean, we got Fullmetal Alchemist and then Brotherpals, right?
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:23 am

I wish PeanutSaiyan know the word opinion,if someone don't like the Manga and prefer the Anime no need to call the person a troll
    Imo is not necessary to see the Manga animated, is fine the way it is
    Mostly active on discord.

OLKv3
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:54 pm

It's like you guys are insecure and have to turn it into an anime vs manga war any time the manga is mentioned. Jesus Christ, this wasn't needed at all. But I guess you got what you wanted.

Bullza
    Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:17 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
    It's like you guys are insecure and have to turn it into an anime vs manga war any time the manga is mentioned. Jesus Christ, this wasn't needed at all. But I guess you got what you wanted.
    I didn't turn it into anything. The manga version is not that great nor that different that it is worth the studio wasting all their time and money to make what is practically the same thing that they already did a second time. It's pointless and the effort would be better suited to just going into what we have now.

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Bullza wrote:
    PeanutSaiyan wrote:The manga on the other hand has been a savior considering I've all but written off anything related to Super (God nonsense, Blue nonsense, etc) but it's consistently better written and the characters talk and act like characters we've come to know and love over the last few decades, not to mention the artwork is always consistent. Is the manga perfect? No. But to call it an inferior product implies very rose tinted glasses and I would most definitely not want to browse your Netflix movie/show list.
    Well blatant over the top reaction aside, the anime is still superior. As a whole the manga has terrible pacing because part of it is fast and part of it is slow. There's a big chunk missing out of it. Obviously the artwork would be more consistent because it's one person so that's a non factor.

It has too many homages with the artwork and it's simply not as interesting at all. Black who has become a very popular character in a short period of time would never have taken off if he was portrayed as he is in the manga version where he's severely lacking in character. Trunks has been for the most part completely useless. Future Mai who ended up being a surprisingly good character from the anime has been worthless in the manga.

It lacks any of the atmosphere and tension that the anime version had. The sense of mystery which made the saga so interesting in the anime just jumps straight to an answer in the manga.

It's just a boring, straight forward version of the anime version. Even small things like Trunks going to meet Gohan in the present and seeing how different his life has become from the adult Gohan that he knows....there's nothing like that in the manga. Little scenes with Vegeta and Trunks interacting and showing how different Vegeta treats his son now...not really in the manga. Trunks and Mai's relationship was interesting in the anime because it's different yet there's not much of one at all in the manga.
    I disagree,the Manga have tension and atmosphere, look at the current chapter and 21 and there is a father and son moment in the manga and trunk is far from useless, saying that is like saying krillin and gohan were useless in the Saiyan and namek saga
      Mai and trunks relationship is ok,is not like the manga turned her to a coward that hides in the corner but I agree there too much homages and they get annoying
        Aside from homage and exposition Time,the manga is entertaining and unpredictable imo, I would have been twice as Boring if it was an abridged version or a copy paste from the anime
          I really don't find it necessary for the manga to be an Anime, is fine the way it is and I'm also ok what I got in the Anime, because anime black≥manga black
          Mostly active on discord.

kidhero1000
          Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:49 am

The gr wrote:
          Bullza wrote:

I disagree,the Manga have tension and atmosphere, look at the current chapter and 21 and there is a father and son moment in the manga and trunk is far from useless, saying that is like saying krillin and gohan were useless in the Saiyan and namek saga
            Mai and trunks relationship is ok,is not like the manga turned her to a coward that hides in the corner but I agree there too much homages and they get annoying
              Aside from homage and exposition Time,the manga is entertaining and unpredictable imo, I would have been twice as Boring if it was an abridged version or a copy paste from the anime
                I really don't find it necessary for the manga to be an Anime, is fine the way it is and I'm also ok what I got in the Anime, because anime black≥manga black
                I look at that Shadow clone jutsu of an ending and wonder to myself if that's really the reason they have to use the Zeno Button here? Seriously, for that?! Haha! WHAT?!
                He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.