Official Tournament of Power Eliminations Thread (Complete)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Tournament of Power Eliminations

Post by majinwarman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:02 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I do have episodes I don't like, but overall this has been a great arc. I hope they just stick the landing and we don't have a FT arc ending.
You mean the best ending in the series? Yes, give me more of that.
Best how? Because it was "different from the norm"? Because different doesn't always mean good. All and all it was just a downer ending that ruined Trunks' legacy to me. If the ToP goes for a downer ending that'll mean several almost entirely wasted universes too.
He's probably joking with us.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:22 pm

majinwarman wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
HeroR wrote:
You mean the best ending in the series? Yes, give me more of that.
Best how? Because it was "different from the norm"? Because different doesn't always mean good. All and all it was just a downer ending that ruined Trunks' legacy to me. If the ToP goes for a downer ending that'll mean several almost entirely wasted universes too.
Doubtful. A lot of people actually do love that ending.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:28 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: Best how? Because it was "different from the norm"? Because different doesn't always mean good. All and all it was just a downer ending that ruined Trunks' legacy to me. If the ToP goes for a downer ending that'll mean several almost entirely wasted universes too.
I would like to talk to them to see why they like it. I don't what to change their minds but it will be interesting to learn what people like.
Majinwarman

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:53 am

majinwarman wrote: I would like to talk to them to see why they like it. I don't what to change their minds but it will be interesting to learn what people like.
No, I'm not kidding. I'm dead serious.

I like the ending because for the first time in Dragon Ball there are real consequences. The damaged done isn't fixed by the end of the arc or the next arc like the Saiyans murdering everyone in the Saiyans Saga. The heroes lost and couldn't fixed the problem on their own despite their best effects. This is the kind of stakes and real tension Dragon Ball always lack since to me, Z never had real tension since Dragon Ball have proven time and time again that everything done will eventually be reverse and everyone will get a happy ending, except for maybe side-characters like 16 that the cast never mentions again and could be easily brought back if they wished the Earth Dragon Balls to repair him.

While no main character died in the Future Trunks Saga, the anime made me care about the secondary characters like the children, the soldiers who bravely fought Black everyday despite knowing that they stood no chance, and even Future Yajirobe who saved Goku and Trunks' lives and put his fate in Goku to save them. The show made me care about them and they were bold enough to not only kill them, but erased them, and not to bring them back like the Namekians in the Freeza Saga.

My only gripes about the ending that it should have been longer and more time spent by the heroes thinking about their lost, although Trunks' line about 'not being able to protect the world' was extremely powerful.

It's a downer ending, and I loved it for that and if I could, I wouldn't mind all the erased universes never coming back. To me, if you're going to kill a bunch a people, be brave enough to make it stick, especially in Dragon Ball where 'death has no consequences' is a meme.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:52 am

Universe 7 have a total of 37 eliminations and Piccolo only has 1. What rubbish!

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:00 am

HeroR wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I would like to talk to them to see why they like it. I don't what to change their minds but it will be interesting to learn what people like.

I like the ending because for the first time in Dragon Ball there are real consequences. The damaged done isn't fixed by the end of the arc or the next arc like the Saiyans murdering everyone in the Saiyans Saga. The heroes lost and couldn't fixed the problem on their own despite their best effects. This is the kind of stakes and real tension Dragon Ball always lack since to me, Z never had real tension since Dragon Ball have proven time and time again that everything done will eventually be reverse and everyone will get a happy ending, except for maybe side-characters like 16 that the cast never mentions again and could be easily brought back if they wished the Earth Dragon Balls to repair him.

While no main character died in the Future Trunks Saga, the anime made me care about the secondary characters like the children, the soldiers who bravely fought Black everyday despite knowing that they stood no chance, and even Future Yajirobe who saved Goku and Trunks' lives and put his fate in Goku to save them. The show made me care about them and they were bold enough to not only kill them, but erased them, and not to bring them back like the Namekians in the Freeza Saga.

My only gripes about the ending that it should have been longer and more time spent by the heroes thinking about their lost, although Trunks' line about 'not being able to protect the world' was extremely powerful.

It's a downer ending, and I loved it for that and if I could, I wouldn't mind all the erased universes never coming back. To me, if you're going to kill a bunch a people, be brave enough to make it stick, especially in Dragon Ball where 'death has no consequences' is a meme.
So as I expected it's because it's "different". Thing is, Trunks shouldn't have been involved in such an ending. If anyone should have lasting consequences for their actions it's Goku. Trunks already had his fantastic ending in Z and shouldn't have been brought back just to completely undo that perfect conclusion he already had. Super has ruined Trunks' entire legacy. If they wanted a downer ending, they shoulda given it to ANYONE EXCEPT Trunks.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:02 am

TekTheNinja wrote: So as I expected it's because it's "different". Thing is, Trunks shouldn't have been involved in such an ending. If anyone should have lasting consequences for their actions it's Goku. Trunks already had his fantastic ending in Z and shouldn't have been brought back just to completely undo that perfect conclusion he already had. Super has ruined Trunks' entire legacy. If they wanted a downer ending, they shoulda given it to ANYONE EXCEPT Trunks.
To each their own. Trunks' timeline being destroyed didn't ruined Trunks or his legacy to me. If it did anything, it enhanced it.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:40 am

HeroR wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: So as I expected it's because it's "different". Thing is, Trunks shouldn't have been involved in such an ending. If anyone should have lasting consequences for their actions it's Goku. Trunks already had his fantastic ending in Z and shouldn't have been brought back just to completely undo that perfect conclusion he already had. Super has ruined Trunks' entire legacy. If they wanted a downer ending, they shoulda given it to ANYONE EXCEPT Trunks.
To each their own. Trunks' timeline being destroyed didn't ruined Trunks or his legacy to me. If it did anything, it enhanced it.
How? It turned him from a hero of hope into a failure who literally left crying to a timeline that despite being similar he will always know is not his own.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:21 pm

TekTheNinja wrote: How? It turned him from a hero of hope into a failure who literally left crying to a timeline that despite being similar he will always know is not his own.
Because despite everything Trunks been thought, he still decide to keep hope and try to rebuild from his lost instead of moping about it. Keeping hope isn't always about winning. Being hope is keeping it, even when you lost everything.

For the lack of better words, the deeper and more tragic the despair, the greater the hope becomes if the person can find their way through it.
Kanassa wrote:

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:19 pm

HeroR wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: How? It turned him from a hero of hope into a failure who literally left crying to a timeline that despite being similar he will always know is not his own.
Because despite everything Trunks been thought, he still decide to keep hope and try to rebuild from his lost instead of moping about it. Keeping hope isn't always about winning. Being hope is keeping it, even when you lost everything.

For the lack of better words, the deeper and more tragic the despair, the greater the hope becomes if the person can find their way through it.
Well yes but Trunks already had lost everything and through his hope he overcame that. Super comes along and trashes that, making him lose everything again, but this time fail to overcome it, and as previously mentioned literally starts crying do to his failure. Actually we have a recent thread for this ending, so we should probably be discussing this there though.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:13 pm

majinwarman wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
majinwarman wrote: He's probably joking with us.
I would like to talk to them to see why they like it. I don't what to change their minds but it will be interesting to learn what people like.
I like certain aspects of it. The FT Arc ending (minus the sword BS and weird alternate world to live in) gave the series a feeling of consequence. Sometimes even the hero has to suffer. That sort of thing.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:21 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: Doubtful. A lot of people actually do love that ending.
I like certain aspects of it. The FT Arc ending (minus the sword BS and weird alternate world to live in) gave the series a feeling of consequence. Sometimes even the hero has to suffer. That sort of thing.
The only reason his timeline was erased is because the arc was just complete filler and also so Future Trunks doesn't appear again.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:43 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
The only reason his timeline was erased is because the arc was just complete filler and also so Future Trunks doesn't appear again.
There go people misusing the word 'filler' around here.
TekTheNinja wrote: Well yes but Trunks already had lost everything and through his hope he overcame that. Super comes along and trashes that, making him lose everything again, but this time fail to overcome it, and as previously mentioned literally starts crying do to his failure. Actually we have a recent thread for this ending, so we should probably be discussing this there though.
Trunks didn't lose everything the first time since he still had his mom and his world. Not, he's starting over from nothing except Mai. And he didn't fail to overcome it since he's still alive and decided to rebuild in a new world instead of killing himself like some fans thought he should.

But I will end it here since we both have different opinions and I think we can respectful disagree since I understand why you and others wouldn't like the ending.
Kanassa wrote:

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:19 am

HeroR wrote:

I respect your opinion!
Majinwarman

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:21 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Universe 7 have a total of 37 eliminations and Piccolo only has 1. What rubbish!
Well, Vegeta still has the most eliminations. Maybe he should let Piccolo take some people out.
Majinwarman

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:36 pm

Getting back on topic now.

Today was a bit of an erasure bloodbath compared to other episodes in the Tournament of Power

Also, Goku is the new MVP

47. Rabanra (Universe 2) (0), Zarbuto (Universe 2) (0), and Zirloin (Universe 2) (0) was eliminated by Goku (Universe 7) (10) with a massive Kamehameha
48. Saonel (Universe 6) (0) and Pilina (Universe 6) (0) was eliminated by Gohan (Universe 7) (4) and Piccolo (Universe 7) (3) with a Kamehameha and Special Beam Canon combination attack.

Universe Ranking (based on number of eliminations):
1. Universe 7
2. Universe 6
3. Universe 2
4. Universe 11
5. Universe 9
7. Universe 3 & Universe 4
8. Universe 10

Universe 2 Competitors eliminated: 10/10
Universe 3 Competitors eliminated: 4/10
Universe 4 Competitors eliminated: 7/10
Universe 6 Competitors eliminated: 10/10
Universe 7 Competitors eliminated: 3/10
Universe 9 Competitors eliminated: 10/10
Universe 10 Competitors eliminated: 10/10
Universe 11 Competitors eliminated: 7/10

Universe 2 eliminated: 3 competitors
Universe 3 has eliminated: 0 competitors
Universe 4 has eliminated: 0 competitors
Universe 6 eliminated: 15 competitors
Universe 7 has eliminated: 43 competitors
Universe 9 eliminated: 1 competitor
Universe 10 eliminated: 0 competitors
Universe 11 has eliminated: 2 competitors
Competitors Who Eliminated Themselves: Roselle (Universe 9) (0), Caway (Universe 4) (0) & Master Roshi (Universe 7) (4)

22. 03 DEC 2017 - Episode 118 - Accelerating Tragedy! Vanishing Universes!!: 5

Tournament of Power Competitors Eliminated: 61/80

Only 19 Competitors Remain in the Tournament of Power

Order In Which Each Universe Is Erased:

1st Universe Erased: Universe 9, eliminated by Universe 7
2nd Universe Erased: Universe 10, eliminated by Universe 7
3rd Universe Erased: Universe 2, eliminated by Universe 7
4th Universe Erased: Universe 6, eliminated by Universe 7

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:55 pm

43 eliminations for Universe 7? Good lord. :?

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:11 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Getting back on topic now.

Today was a bit of an erasure bloodbath compared to other episodes in the Tournament of Power

Also, Goku is the new MVP

47. Rabanra (Universe 2) (0), Zarbuto (Universe 2) (0), and Zirloin (Universe 2) (0) was eliminated by Goku (Universe 7) (10) with a massive Kamehameha
48. Saonel (Universe 6) (0) and Pilina (Universe 6) (0) was eliminated by Gohan (Universe 7) (4) and Piccolo (Universe 7) (3) with a Kamehameha and Special Beam Canon combination attack.

Universe Ranking (based on number of eliminations):
1. Universe 7
2. Universe 6
3. Universe 2
4. Universe 11
5. Universe 9
7. Universe 3 & Universe 4
8. Universe 10

Universe 2 Competitors eliminated: 10/10
Universe 3 Competitors eliminated: 4/10
Universe 4 Competitors eliminated: 7/10
Universe 6 Competitors eliminated: 10/10
Universe 7 Competitors eliminated: 3/10
Universe 9 Competitors eliminated: 10/10
Universe 10 Competitors eliminated: 10/10
Universe 11 Competitors eliminated: 7/10

Universe 2 eliminated: 3 competitors
Universe 3 has eliminated: 0 competitors
Universe 4 has eliminated: 0 competitors
Universe 6 eliminated: 15 competitors
Universe 7 has eliminated: 43 competitors
Universe 9 eliminated: 1 competitor
Universe 10 eliminated: 0 competitors
Universe 11 has eliminated: 2 competitors
Competitors Who Eliminated Themselves: Roselle (Universe 9) (0), Caway (Universe 4) (0) & Master Roshi (Universe 7) (4)

22. 03 DEC 2017 - Episode 118 - Accelerating Tragedy! Vanishing Universes!!: 5

Tournament of Power Competitors Eliminated: 61/80

Only 19 Competitors Remain in the Tournament of Power

Order In Which Each Universe Is Erased:

1st Universe Erased: Universe 9, eliminated by Universe 7
2nd Universe Erased: Universe 10, eliminated by Universe 7
3rd Universe Erased: Universe 2, eliminated by Universe 7
4th Universe Erased: Universe 6, eliminated by Universe 7
Man, Goku and Universe 7 is on a roll!
Majinwarman

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:12 pm

Hey everyone, please tell me how do you feel now that Goku is new MVP.
Majinwarman

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:16 pm

majinwarman wrote:Hey everyone, please tell me how do you feel now that Goku is new MVP.
It was inevitable considering he's the main character.

Though I really hope someone takes that from him.