Caulifla Explained - Personality, Desires, Misconceptions

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Re: Caulifla Explained - Personality, Desires, Misconceptions

Post by Kastex » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Amerigo wrote:She is younger than Goku, she is power hungry, and she is arrogant.
she is most likely younger than goku within the age range i specified. she is power hungry most likely for the reasons i explained. she is not arrogant based on the definition i provided.

Amerigo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amerigo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Kastex wrote:
Amerigo wrote:She is younger than Goku, she is power hungry, and she is arrogant.
she is most likely younger than goku within the age range i specified. she is power hungry most likely for the reasons i explained. she is not arrogant based on the definition i provided.
She is power hungry because she is a full-blooded Saiyan. It's not about "excellency". She is a thug who walks around half-naked and talks to people like a gangster. She certainly does NOT hold herself up to such a standard.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:53 pm

Amerigo wrote:
Kastex wrote:
She is power hungry because she is a full-blooded Saiyan. It's not about "excellency". She is a thug who walks around half-naked and talks to people like a gangster. She certainly does NOT hold herself up to such a standard.
the U6 saiyans are different than the U7 saiyans. either way being a full blooded saiyan doesn't mean you are power hungry. gine wasn't power hungry. renso as he is now doesn't seem power hungry. tarble doesn't seem power hungry. heck, even kale doesn't seem power hungry.

the saiyans we know that are power hungry are that way for their own special reasons. not "well i was born from saiyan parents, so i have no choice but to be power hungry....."

Amerigo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amerigo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Kastex wrote:the U6 saiyans are different than the U7 saiyans. either way being a full blooded saiyan doesn't mean you are power hungry. gine wasn't power hungry. renso as he is now doesn't seem power hungry. tarble doesn't seem power hungry. heck, even kale doesn't seem power hungry.
Aye, but Caulifla is. She doesn't hold herself up as a person of 'excellency'.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Caulifa called Goku an, "old man."

She's very obviously a teenager or in her early 20's at most.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:06 pm

precita wrote:Caulifa called Goku an, "old man."

Especially considering Goku doesnt look as old as he is at all.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:27 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:This is way too much speculation based on less than 10 minutes of screen time. I'm not saying any of it is "wrong" but I feel like you basically just wrote a fan fiction.
As TFS Tien would put it, "Making a looooot of assumptions there".

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:54 pm

i already accounted for this. these warriors are the top in their universe. not kids or teenagers. she's just calling goku ossan because he's most likely quite older than her and she has an attitude. it doesn't mean she is close to teen years.

i say "most likely", because we still don't know if the U6 saiyans have greater life spans and youth retention than the U7 saiyans. in which case, she can easily be older or just as old as goku.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:13 pm

Kastex wrote:

i already accounted for this. these warriors are the top in their universe. not kids or teenagers. she's just calling goku ossan because he's most likely quite older than her and she has an attitude. it doesn't mean she is close to teen years.

i say "most likely", because we still don't know if the U6 saiyans have greater life spans and youth retention than the U7 saiyans. in which case, she can easily be older or just as old as goku.
What does age necessarily have to do with strength? Goku was strongest person on Earth when he was only like, what, 14?

I agree with precita. She's definitely a teen or in her early 20s. You can tell just by her dialogue. Even when you completely ignore her appearance her dialogue just sounds like that of a rebellious teen. Plus the fact that she's the leader of a gang (in which they apparently drink juice? lol).

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:10 am

Amerigo wrote:
Kastex wrote:the U6 saiyans are different than the U7 saiyans. either way being a full blooded saiyan doesn't mean you are power hungry. gine wasn't power hungry. renso as he is now doesn't seem power hungry. tarble doesn't seem power hungry. heck, even kale doesn't seem power hungry.
Aye, but Caulifla is. She doesn't hold herself up as a person of 'excellency'.
i wouldn't really say that she holds herself to a standard of excellence. like for example how someone might not think much of their self, but they are hopelessly drawn to stones like diamonds, which they would perceive as being perfect. one doesn't necessarily need to hold their self to the same standard to be attracted to it. it seems to me that she believes herself to be special or superior to average saiyans, and she is. you can tell this is most likely the case by the way she acts and her attitude. what i believe is that she is drawn to things that she perceives as excellence. this is most likely the case because it's all we've seen from her so far. the only time we've seen her take genuine interest in something or become infatuated is when she saw SS, SS2, and SSB which are standards of excellence to saiyans.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:20 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:

most characters in the show are like this though. they are drawn to not look too old. i don't think any other character throughout the entire franchise has ever referred to goku as old, so it's something exclusive to caulifla. it's most likely just her attitude.

if you want to dive deeper by thinking it makes sense that caulifla is close to her teen years because she called goku "ossan", then we should also consider that these are saiyans we're talking about. it's easier for them to recognize the age differences within their own species (for example how western people often have trouble pinning down the ages of japanese females, yet it's easier for japanese males to pin down their ages). however, U7 and U6 saiyans most likely age differently due to evolution. in which case (keep in mind this all under the assumption that caulifla referred to goku as "ossan" purely based on age difference rather than her attitude or personality), their ages wouldn't be too far apart anyway.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:36 pm

Kastex wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

most characters in the show are like this though. they are drawn to not look too old. i don't think any other character throughout the entire franchise has ever referred to goku as old, so it's something exclusive to caulifla. it's most likely just her attitude.

if you want to dive deeper by thinking it makes sense that caulifla is close to her teen years because she called goku "ossan", then we should also consider that these are saiyans we're talking about. it's easier for them to recognize the age differences within their own species (for example how western people often have trouble pinning down the ages of japanese females, yet it's easier for japanese males to pin down their ages). however, U7 and U6 saiyans most likely age differently due to evolution. in which case (keep in mind this all under the assumption that caulifla referred to goku as "ossan" purely based on age difference rather than her attitude or personality), their ages wouldn't be too far apart anyway.
Isn't Goku close to 50? You really think Caulifla is possibly in her 40s?

lord godly da don
Beyond Newbie

Post by lord godly da don » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:23 am

"Kastex"

I agree with you on the whole arrogant thing. The way I see it is that Califla has supreme confidence in herself and her abilities. like most top athletes in real life but I understand why people would misinterpret this as arrogance because most normal everyday people don't possess this.

It also helps in her and Kale relationship with each other because kale is a complete poler opposite. being insecure and having no faith in her own abilities. This may also be way the two are attracted ( not sexually ) to each other because Califla see's the potential Kale has but lacks the confidence to bring out and Kale see's Califla as what she wish she could be

But I could be wrong this is just my opinion/interpretation

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:53 am

Asura wrote:I agree with precita. She's definitely a teen or in her early 20s. You can tell just by her dialogue. Even when you completely ignore her appearance her dialogue just sounds like that of a rebellious teen. Plus the fact that she's the leader of a gang (in which they apparently drink juice? lol).
Hey! They aren't like that pansy-ass gang from the other side of town that drinks milk. :lol: I agree that the three of them are probably teenagers, I'd guess in the 16-19 range. Caulifla's peculiar and exuberant way of describing things is one of the traits that makes me think she's not that old. Plus if you look at Renso and the members of her gang, they're more normally sized in terms of height and build. The U7 Saiyans were sending their young children out to conquer planets so it's not that surprising that their counterparts would be adept fighters as teenagers.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:26 am

lord godly da don wrote:"Kastex"

I agree with you on the whole arrogant thing. The way I see it is that Califla has supreme confidence in herself and her abilities. like most top athletes in real life but I understand why people would misinterpret this as arrogance because most normal everyday people don't possess this.

It also helps in her and Kale relationship with each other because kale is a complete poler opposite. being insecure and having no faith in her own abilities. This may also be way the two are attracted ( not sexually ) to each other because Califla see's the potential Kale has but lacks the confidence to bring out and Kale see's Califla as what she wish she could be

I'm overconfident in myself but manage to be nice to people.

Arrogant probably isnt the word, but aside from Kale, she gives off the impression she doesnt really care about or have time for anyone below her.

Regardless I'm enjoying her character a bit more after seeing the slightly more humble side.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

lord godly da don
Beyond Newbie

Post by lord godly da don » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:22 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
lord godly da don wrote:"Kastex"

I'm overconfident in myself but manage to be nice to people.

Arrogant probably isnt the word, but aside from Kale, she gives off the impression she doesnt really care about or have time for anyone below her.

Regardless I'm enjoying her character a bit more after seeing the slightly more humble side.
Key word "overconfident" she has "supreme" confidence these are two different things. supreme confidence is scaling yourself appropriately knowing your own limits and getting the best out of what you have. overconfident is seeing yourself greater than what you actually are

Califla is like a elephant. do you think a elephant notice when it steps on a ant

She's not doing it to disrespect people that's just who she is

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:05 pm

Amerigo wrote:
Kastex wrote:
Caulifla has no standards.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:15 pm

She is funny and kinda cute.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:02 am

Asura wrote:
Kastex wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

Isn't Goku close to 50? You really think Caulifla is possibly in her 40s?
i think goku is 35-40 because he was dead for a while. also he's originally (originally meaning not including time chamber or death) 4 years younger than bulma in the anime.

i do believe it is possible for caulifla to be up to 40 years old, however i also believe this is an unlikely possibility.