Caulifla Explained - Personality, Desires, Misconceptions

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: Caulifla Explained - Personality, Desires, Misconceptions

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:21 pm

"It's a misconception that Caulifla is arrogant."

Stopped reading right there.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:04 am

MagmonKai wrote:
Kastex wrote:
Simere wrote:I think you took way too many liberties in trying to nail down her age.
yes. after some more consideration i made some adjustments to the minimum age caulifla most likely is.

Dude Gohan isn't even 30 yet, and he looks and acts way more mature than Caulifla. I seriously doubt she's 30. You can tell the girl is in her TEENS! Hell Goku is what mid 40ish? LOL
true, but you could also argue that gohan acts more mature than goku does, and goku is like 38 (or so), he has a family, and he's been through A LOT. i believe it was purposefully made so that the saiyans personalities vary regardless of their ages since they are meant to be different than humans. their perception of time is much different.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:06 am

cheddarsword wrote:Wait... I think I know how you're aging them. It's the Legendary Super Saiyan isn't it? Every 1,000 years, a Saiyan with power beyond others appears. If both universes work on a similar "clock", then Kale should have been born about the same general time as Broly, which was about... 37/38 years prior (someone would have to check me on this) so therefore, if Kale is about 37/38 yrs. old, thenn Caulifla could be measured to be 40+.
i actually haven't thought about that. most or all of what i said has been based on what we've seen and heard from caulifla and others so far.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:12 am

Asura wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:This is way too much speculation based on less than 10 minutes of screen time. I'm not saying any of it is "wrong" but I feel like you basically just wrote a fan fiction.
Um, going to have to agree here. :? This definitely felt like I was reading a fan fiction. In your attempt to clear up misconceptions it seems like you've added even more misconceptions based on mostly nothing. But at least you put in a good effort.

Weird picture though.
i was clearing up the misconceptions based on scenes from the show. i understand that this doesn't make them fact, since we don't have the official information yet, but it's because we don't have the official information that this thread actually matters.

there was another picture i was going to go with, but i thought this one would best suit this thread.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:39 am

Kastex wrote:
Asura wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:This is way too much speculation based on less than 10 minutes of screen time. I'm not saying any of it is "wrong" but I feel like you basically just wrote a fan fiction.
Um, going to have to agree here. :? This definitely felt like I was reading a fan fiction. In your attempt to clear up misconceptions it seems like you've added even more misconceptions based on mostly nothing. But at least you put in a good effort.

Weird picture though.
i was clearing up the misconceptions based on scenes from the show. i understand that this doesn't make them fact, since we don't have the official information yet, but it's because we don't have the official information that this thread actually matters.

there was another picture i was going to go with, but i thought this one would best suit this thread.
It's a nice pic and all, but It belongs in the Sexy Fan art thread. It's a foot fetish pic.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:57 am

Kastex wrote:
TheOne wrote:There are waaayyyyy too many assumptions in that statement. Especially since we don't know anything about her.. She's barely had that many lines

But it is impressive you have an analytical point of view. Not sure if that kind of analysis works with a simple show like dragon ball, but it's still good to be a deep thinker.
i know it's a long shot, but most if not all of what i typed was based on what we've seen from her. i've taken one of the most logical conclusions in my explanation on her personality. i make a lot of top tier theories and predictions for dragon ball super but they have all turned out wrong. i like when they are wrong because it is replaced by something different that i didn't expect. that's one of the reasons i put a lot of thought into these posts because it makes the show more enjoyable for me. i also just like writing out my ideas.
There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Personally, I've made a lot of predictions as well and turns out it doesn't happen. Mostly because I want the show and characters to have more depth to them. Unfortunately, Super doesn't really do it very well like some anime out there :/ which stinks because it's my favorite.

But once again I applaud your outlook and analysis of character(s). Keep doing them! This is definitely the place to express opinions and get your thoughts out there.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:04 am

cheddarsword wrote:
Kastex wrote:
Asura wrote:

Weird picture though.

It's a nice pic and all, but It belongs in the Sexy Fan art thread. It's a foot fetish pic.
oh.... how curious. i noticed her feet were bare, but i thought it was to make the picture look more natural. after going back and seeing related pictures i see what you're getting at. i'll put th eother picture in the thread and let people decide which picture should stay or go. the foot one started to grow on me (not because of the foot fetish. i don't really understand foot fetishes).

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:53 pm

interesting analysis.

Also i have never thought that Cabba, Caulifla and Kale are KIDS or teenagers as some think. To me they are adult, at least 18+.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:41 am

emperior wrote:Why would Renso have to be this old? The guy might have retired prematurely because of his injury. He could very well be 30, with his sister being in the 19-29 range which would fit with how she acts.
yes, after some more consideration i made some adjustments to the minimum age of renso. in my explanation it was always my intention to imply that he retired prematurely because of injury. even if he was injured and retired in his 60s, these saiyans retain their youth much longer than humans and likely live much longer. they wouldn't have the same age retirement.

cabba called renso "captain", so we can assume that renso was captain of their unit on the force. this doesn't usually happen at a young age either. based on how we see cabba interact with renso we can assume that even with u6 saiyans, captain is a position of high respect, responsibility, authority, etc. in which case it makes more sense that renso be much older than 30. this may not be relevant to his age, but so far he's the only u6 saiyan we've seen who is not a twig (kale doesn't count, of course).

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:39 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:"It's a misconception that Caulifla is arrogant."

well this is most likely true based on the particular definition i used and my analysis based on her screen time.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:52 am

Kastex wrote:

well this is most likely true based on the particular definition i used and my analysis based on her screen time.
it's not that she is arrogant. the reality (in super) is that she is simply amazing, and she knows it.
This is like the number one thing self-centered, arrogant, narcissistic people say. Even if she weren't arrogant, you're kinda doing so on her behalf.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:14 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Kastex wrote:

it's not that she is arrogant. the reality (in super) is that she is simply amazing, and she knows it.
This is like the number one thing self-centered, arrogant, narcissistic people say. Even if she weren't arrogant, you're kinda doing so on her behalf.
i didn't mean it like that exactly. let's take a look at characters from other series for example (to make the explanations easier). for example from hunter x hunter, characters like killua or kurapika are amazing. they know that they are pretty awesome even though they aren't too open about it. it's just who they are, so they don't really feel the need to shove it in everyone's face. then you have a character like hisoka who is also amazing, but he puts himself above everyone else and just uses everyone to suit his needs.

similar to that, caulifla knows she has all of this talent and potential, and she knows that she can do things that most others can't, but she doesn't just throw that in everyone's face. in my opinion, it would be more arrogant to have all of that talen and potential, yet pretend like she is on the same level as average saiyans. we thought gohan was amazing when he jumped to super saiyan 2 for the first time, and it was badass. everyone loved that. even though it wasn't as dramatic, caulifla hit super saiyan 2 within like half an hour after first learning super saiyan. she didn't even train for it. she didn't even know that ascending beyond super saiyan was possible, which is what was necessary for the ascension of our u7 saiyans. i'm just calling it as it is when i say that is absolutely amazing (plot convenience, yes, but still badass).

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Kastex wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Kastex wrote:
i didn't mean it like that exactly. let's take a look at characters from other series for example (to make the explanations easier). for example from hunter x hunter, characters like killua or kurapika are amazing. they know that they are pretty awesome even though they aren't too open about it. it's just who they are, so they don't really feel the need to shove it in everyone's face. then you have a character like hisoka who is also amazing, but he puts himself above everyone else and just uses everyone to suit his needs.

similar to that, caulifla knows she has all of this talent and potential, and she knows that she can do things that most others can't, but she doesn't just throw that in everyone's face. in my opinion, it would be more arrogant to have all of that talen and potential, yet pretend like she is on the same level as average saiyans. we thought gohan was amazing when he jumped to super saiyan 2 for the first time, and it was badass. everyone loved that. even though it wasn't as dramatic, caulifla hit super saiyan 2 within like half an hour after first learning super saiyan. she didn't even train for it. she didn't even know that ascending beyond super saiyan was possible, which is what was necessary for the ascension of our u7 saiyans. i'm just calling it as it is when i say that is absolutely amazing (plot convenience, yes, but still badass).
You're talking about two different things. Humility and arrogance. And its a spectrum. Vegeta, Goku, and Gohan are all amazingly powerful and often stayed within the same tier of power. Yet they have very different personalities and approaches. Vegeta being very arrogant (his arrogance, and in turn, hidden insecurities, manifest themselves in hubris and belittling towards others). Gohan being on the opposing side who is outwardly timid which possessing great strength. Goku of course being the more balanced of the two.

Caulifla strikes me as incredibly arrogant, and she is. However, if this was written anywhere close to how the original series was there would be far far far deeper levels. Vegeta's plight and outward hubris stem from his subjugation and destruction of his race and the he humilations he has suffered as the Prince of Saiyans losing to a low class warrior. His arrogance is actually a mask for his insecurity and couldn't be better written if a psychologist were writing a text book on the matter. Caulifla, at present exhibits no such depth of character or thought. She is arrogant for the sake of being arrogant and a pale imposter of a character like Videl or Pan.

As can be seen which is typical of the DB franchise, the author seems to have difficulty writing power female characters as they always seem to fall back into the "cocky" abrasive role. Once the characters become more "domesticated" they seem to lose this power. This can even be seen in Kale's dual personality where here frail personality seems to match her frail physical abilities. To my knowledge she is not shown performing feats of strength in her "frail" form. The difference is that Toriyama has always written these females as legitimately hard-working, motivated, and often having personal issues they tackle. Whether it be Videl and Chichi living in the shadow of their powerful fathers or Pan's difficulty with relationships due to her strength and aggression. As stated we have yet to see anything as deep with Caulifla and at present the character is written as if someone too a passing glance at Toriyama's work. Decided this is how he always writes powerful female characters, but not at all understanding those characters and what made them aggressive and powerful in the first place. Rather they have handed this character three things. The saiyan race, saiyan powers, and aggressive personality. To which the character has earned none of these. By contrast Videl, earned her name of the daughter of World's Marshall Arts Champion every day of her life. She fought crime, trained, learned and pursued new techniques, and when it came time to fight an opponent she was outmatched against she sought to prove that she was more than just "born" as the champ's daughter, but had earned the title for herself and would not yield even an inch.

Caulifla is a sad, poor, sorry excuse of a miserable shadow of female character. At this point she's been given everything, earned nothing, and doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as a character like Videl.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Was hoping for some actual facts but I've been left very disappointing. Will I ever get these minutes back?
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:32 am

TheMikado wrote:
Kastex wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

You're talking about two different things. Humility and arrogance. And its a spectrum. Vegeta, Goku, and Gohan are all amazingly powerful and often stayed within the same tier of power. Yet they have very different personalities and approaches. Vegeta being very arrogant (his arrogance, and in turn, hidden insecurities, manifest themselves in hubris and belittling towards others). Gohan being on the opposing side who is outwardly timid which possessing great strength. Goku of course being the more balanced of the two.

Caulifla strikes me as incredibly arrogant, and she is. However, if this was written anywhere close to how the original series was there would be far far far deeper levels. Vegeta's plight and outward hubris stem from his subjugation and destruction of his race and the he humilations he has suffered as the Prince of Saiyans losing to a low class warrior. His arrogance is actually a mask for his insecurity and couldn't be better written if a psychologist were writing a text book on the matter. Caulifla, at present exhibits no such depth of character or thought. She is arrogant for the sake of being arrogant and a pale imposter of a character like Videl or Pan.

As can be seen which is typical of the DB franchise, the author seems to have difficulty writing power female characters as they always seem to fall back into the "cocky" abrasive role. Once the characters become more "domesticated" they seem to lose this power. This can even be seen in Kale's dual personality where here frail personality seems to match her frail physical abilities. To my knowledge she is not shown performing feats of strength in her "frail" form. The difference is that Toriyama has always written these females as legitimately hard-working, motivated, and often having personal issues they tackle. Whether it be Videl and Chichi living in the shadow of their powerful fathers or Pan's difficulty with relationships due to her strength and aggression. As stated we have yet to see anything as deep with Caulifla and at present the character is written as if someone too a passing glance at Toriyama's work. Decided this is how he always writes powerful female characters, but not at all understanding those characters and what made them aggressive and powerful in the first place. Rather they have handed this character three things. The saiyan race, saiyan powers, and aggressive personality. To which the character has earned none of these. By contrast Videl, earned her name of the daughter of World's Marshall Arts Champion every day of her life. She fought crime, trained, learned and pursued new techniques, and when it came time to fight an opponent she was outmatched against she sought to prove that she was more than just "born" as the champ's daughter, but had earned the title for herself and would not yield even an inch.

Caulifla is a sad, poor, sorry excuse of a miserable shadow of female character. At this point she's been given everything, earned nothing, and doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as a character like Videl.
you make good points, but humility isn't what i was trying to get at. i took the liberty of re-watching all of caulifla's screen time up until now. caulifla doesn't strike me as arrogant at all based on the definition i stated (having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities), and i'm not sure she would be considered arrogant by some other definitions of the word as well. she's aggressive, but that's just part of her personality.

android 18 has always been a powerhouse, but she never went through any hard work attaining this power. she was just modified by gero, but she's a relevant character with a lot to offer. fighters like vegeta are now in a different tier than her, but she is still powerful, seemingly even more so than when she was first introduced. i don't think android 18 can be considered arrogant by that definition because she knows exactly what she's capable of and i do not recall her ever exaggerating her own abilities. in her battle with vegeta she knew she was stronger because that information was contained in her data. that's not arrogance.
as for kale, it seems they were making an attempt to base her character and especially her dual personalities on broly, being timid while in base form and a monster in the legendary form. in which case, the writers were limited to broly to some extent, who we don't have much background on either other than the saiyan race, insane saiyan powers, and the dual personality. of course, there is a lot of room to expand with kale.

you're right that we haven't seen any scenes or backstory with caulifla going through any hardship, hard work or struggle. even if we do get some kind of backstory or future development i wouldn't be surprised if we still don't see these things. the point i've been making for caulifla being amazing (Amazing: causing great surprise or wonder) is that she seems to have been given everything and earned nothing (relative to our u7 saiyans) just by nature, that we could only assume she is a rare prodigy. this has been emphasized around her introduction and super saiyan transformation.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:40 pm

TheOne wrote:
Kastex wrote:
TheOne wrote:There are waaayyyyy too many assumptions in that statement. Especially since we don't know anything about her.. She's barely had that many lines

But it is impressive you have an analytical point of view. Not sure if that kind of analysis works with a simple show like dragon ball, but it's still good to be a deep thinker.
i know it's a long shot, but most if not all of what i typed was based on what we've seen from her. i've taken one of the most logical conclusions in my explanation on her personality. i make a lot of top tier theories and predictions for dragon ball super but they have all turned out wrong. i like when they are wrong because it is replaced by something different that i didn't expect. that's one of the reasons i put a lot of thought into these posts because it makes the show more enjoyable for me. i also just like writing out my ideas.
There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Personally, I've made a lot of predictions as well and turns out it doesn't happen. Mostly because I want the show and characters to have more depth to them. Unfortunately, Super doesn't really do it very well like some anime out there :/ which stinks because it's my favorite.

But once again I applaud your outlook and analysis of character(s). Keep doing them! This is definitely the place to express opinions and get your thoughts out there.
ah, i know what you mean. thanks.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:15 am

okay so we've had some NEW and fresh information (relative) come to light in episode 100 of dragon ball super. since most or all information in the OP is based on things that have actually happened in the show (and not fabrication like some careless readers might think), it is necessary for me to update the OP and talk about some new information and changes. feel free to discuss this or help me with information.

first of all, when caulifla confronted goku in episode 100 one of the first things she did was call him ossan. if the subs were correct, she was calling him an oldie. apparently (if i'm not wrong) in japan, ossan is a word used mainly towards middle aged folk sometimes in a mildly offensive way. if this was simply as it seems, then perhaps it was the writer's way of letting us know that caulifla is younger than goku. however this could be many things otherwise.

first of all, caulifla has a sort of aggressive punk like personality. it's her nature. one reason she could have been calling him ossan was to try to get on his nerves because she not only wanted his attention but wanted to fight him. this also may have just been a common female shit test.
it makes sense if goku does seem older to caulifla, but there is a chance this could be due to U6 saiyans having greater youth retention and longevity than U7 saiyans due to evolving in their natural habitat. her calling goku "ossan" is not PROOF of caulifla being younger than goku. however it is EVIDENCE. so i will be adjusting some age range values in the OP.

Personality:
the first thing she confronted goku about (other than the ossan thing which was more of a greeting) was the super saiyan blue transformation. she must have only seen it for a split second during the final kameha, yet it instantly piqued her interest enough to confront him wholeheartedly about it. this is because (as i explained in the OP) she desires excellence. the super saiyan blue is a plateau of greatness that she has not reached. she can instinctively understand that it is incredible and far beyond her capabilities. THAT'S why she wants it so badly enough to try and challenge goku who she knows has power beyond hers. i'd go as far as to call this proof of my claims.

she seemed very excited discussing the SS2 transformation with goku. it was the same look of infatuation she had with cabba before she learned the SS transformation. it is absolutely incredible (plot convenience, i know) that she was able to master ascension to SS2 almost instantly (mastering the ascension. NOT mastering the actual transformation. since it was so difficult for our U7 saiyans to master the SS2 ascension without losing speed). literally all she did was watch goku do it. that is beyond amazing. she also sounded quite excited learning that there is also an SS3. more proof to my claim that she desires excellence. imagine back in DBZ how we would feel if gohan or even goten were able to master these transformations and techniques so quickly just by watching goku do it? our minds would have been blown. so yea, this is a big deal.

as you can see, she seemed incredibly ecstatic while battling goku in SS2. obviously the power is amazing, but she was enjoying the battle much more than goku. this is mainly because she's a lot weaker than goku and goku is a lot stronger, but THAT'S THE POINT. goku himself is on a plateau that is currently beyond her reach, and that excites her. personally, i also think part of why she seemed so absorbed in the battle is because she wanted to trigger kale, but that's just something minor. just ignoring kale and enjoying herself was more than enough, because goku was also pretty much telling kale to get lost. i suppose goku and caulifla were just on the same wavelength in that battle.

Arrogance:
i still stand firm on my claim that caulifla is NOT arrogant. in this episode we see caulifla confront goku, apparently demanding goku to teach her the SSblue and (if the subs were correct) kicking his ass after she learns it. she also apparently (again, if the subs were correct) taunted him by asking if he's scared to challenge her after she threatened to kick his ass. then she presumes to show off an awesome transformation to him apparently in attempts to scare him, which was just the bulky ascended saiyan transformation that nobody except for trunks and vegeta seemed to enjoy. it's understandable that a lot of folk would see this as arrogance.

however this is not arrogance, and i will explain why. once again, the definition for arrogance that we are using is "having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities".
first of all, she confronted goku wanting him to teach her the transformation, meaning that she had already acknowledged that transformation as being far beyond her capabilities. she even seen the final kameha wave.
her taunting goku with fear tactics was just part of her personality. it was just her way of trying to tease him into giving in. you have to remember that she is a tough, aggressive punk type that hangs around other toughies. that's likely what people around her usually do to get things going.
after goku's obvious reluctance to teach her the transformation, she immediately asks kale to transform so that they BOTH could take on goku. caulifla knows that kale's transformation is crazy powerful. so that caulifla would seek help from the transformed kale to fight goku is an obvious sign that she acknowledges goku to be more powerful than she can handle.
after which, goku shows extreme disinterests and attempts to leave. caulifla stops him from leaving, then proceeds to fight him. from then onward she takes goku's words and advice seriously, becoming familiar with him instantly. she didn't bad talk him, look down on him, or be presumptuous at all.
it only makes sense she acknowledged him from before their confrontation in episode 100. there was no arrogance at all.

Amerigo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amerigo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:44 am

She is younger than Goku, she is power hungry, and she is arrogant.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:48 am

Baasically youre nitpicking and saying she isnt arrogant based on an exact definition even though thats not how people use the term...correct or not.

Shes cocky at the very least which people use aas interchangable with arrogance.

This splitting hairs stuff is as annoying as when someone corrects someone for misusing the term "irony" wrong.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:43 am

Amerigo wrote:She is younger than Goku, she is power hungry, and she is arrogant.
Basically all Caulifa is/does/has been, aside from her relationship to Kale.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.