Linda Young and Chris Ayres (Ep 94/95)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Linda Young and Chris Ayres (Ep 94/95)

Post by TheOne » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:42 am

Geekdom101 wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
Linda Young will not return as Freeza to Super despite Ayres illness.

There is a plan B, thats all I'll say, and its not Linda Young. She WILL be Baba for certain though.
You seem pretty confident... are you saying this because you don't like Linda or you actually know something everyone else doesn't?
I'm saying it because its the truth.

I do like Linda. I'm not a fan of her Freeza. Ayres is amazing. Her Genkai from YYH and her Baba is fantastic IMO.
I just wanted to know why you were so confident that she wasn't 'tis all.
How i predict the tournament will end:

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:12 am

TheOne wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
TheOne wrote:
You seem pretty confident... are you saying this because you don't like Linda or you actually know something everyone else doesn't?

I do like Linda. I'm not a fan of her Freeza. Ayres is amazing. Her Genkai from YYH and her Baba is fantastic IMO.
She probably won't return because she didn't return for Kai!Namek onwards. Frieza's dialogue was a lot more detailed, and she wasn't able to keep up. I doubt anything has changed.

More likely, any (unfortunate) replacement for Chris Ayres will probably be Greg Ayres; his brother who also voices Frost

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:56 am

TheOne wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
TheOne wrote:

Geekdom has contacts, and I trust him after watching all his videos.

I agree Young did a good job as Genkai and Baba. As for Freeza, she did try and I applaude her for that but the role wasn't suitable. That is the reason she was recast and won't return if Ayres is unavailable.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:

Geekdom has contacts, and I trust him after watching all his videos.

I agree Young did a good job as Genkai and Baba. As for Freeza, she did try and I applaude her for that but the role wasn't suitable. That is the reason she was recast and won't return if Ayres is unavailable.
Yeah and the only reason she was cast was to sound like Pauline Newstone. The idea with Kai that Sabat had was a bit of a fresh start.

She's done some Super/RF lines at panels at cons. So that's good for the fans of that Freeza voice.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:07 pm

So, who will they get? Chris' brother Greg?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:34 pm

That would be a good guess since frost will be Greg. I personally think they should try someone else though if need be but i doubt they will be as good as Ayres is. Guess i better enjoy the last few episodes of ROF while it lasts. I bet we will get an idea sooner rather than later though with Fighterz around the corner and Frieza being in it.

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Is that possible? If Ayres is unavailable due to his health, Linda will return as Frieza? I would be super happy if that were to happen! I've missed Linda as Frieza so much. D:
Linda Young will not return as Freeza to Super despite Ayres illness.

There is a plan B, thats all I'll say, and its not Linda Young. She WILL be Baba for certain though.
Ah so you're saying they're getting martin billany to voice Freeza.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:35 am

She's done some Super/RF lines at panels at cons. So that's good for the fans of that Freeza voice.

Is that online anywhere?

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:30 am

I for one wouldn't mind Young returning to voice Frieza. I liked her performances of the character in GT, some of the video games from the 2000s, and in the movies.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:50 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:

Is that online anywhere?
I'm honestly not sure!
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:16 pm

I honestly don't see a good reason why they wouldn't revert back to Young in the case of Ayres' becoming incapacitated. Half of the fandom enjoys her Frieza, so why not make some people happy instead of no one at all?
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Lord Exor wrote:I honestly don't see a good reason why they wouldn't revert back to Young in the case of Ayres' becoming incapacitated. Half of the fandom enjoys her Frieza, so why not make some people happy instead of no one at all?
Young won't return as Freeza because her performance doesn't fit the character. She was given another chance with Kai but it didn't work. Sabat has said it wasn't an easy decision but it had to be made in order for the dub to be as faithful in tone as possible to the original. Young was given credit where its due by being given the opportunity to reprise her role as Baba. That was a good casting from the beginning, Freeza wasn't.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Lord Exor wrote:I honestly don't see a good reason why they wouldn't revert back to Young in the case of Ayres' becoming incapacitated. Half of the fandom enjoys her Frieza, so why not make some people happy instead of no one at all?
Because she can't do it. They tried to keep Linda as Freeza in Kai, she is even in the first episode of Kai as Freeza, but later they found out that she can't do the Freeza voice and keep up with the faster paced dialogue.

And I don't think half the fandom enjoys her Freeza anyway. A lot of people who grew up with it do, but I haven't heard anyone who didn't grow up with it ever saying they liked it. I grew up with it and I never liked it.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:46 pm

The Chris Ayres interpretation of Frieza--or at least, how Funimation is writing him--isn't entirely accurate either. Frieza isn't a blabbermouth faux British John Moschitta Jr. impersonator, in much the same way you believe Frieza isn't a tranny space lizard; that faster-paced dialogue sounds awful, and it's offensively bad in Super. My favorite scene from the RoF arc, the one where Frieza tortures Gohan, was ruined in the English dub. Linda could easily deliver a proper performance as Frieza devoid of the sarcastic one-liners many purists seem to deride her for (although there is a sizable subset of the fanbase that enjoys those, including myself).

God bless Chris, but if they're going to continue to write his Frieza like that, I'm always going to prefer Nakao and Young. Young at least has the unsettling raspy androgyny going for her, especially with the slight pitch shifting for the final form. Yes, you could say Nakao doesn't deliver a rasp in his performance, but neither does Ryo Horikawa for Vegeta, and we all know how Chris Sabat sounds. The dub is an English interpretation, it doesn't have to have perfect English voice doubles of the Japanese actors.
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

—Frieza

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Well it's not necessarily about matching the Japanese actors. If it was then Sean wouldn't be Goku. It's about who can do the job better. If they think Linda can do it then I won't condemn it before I hear it, even though I'm pretty sure she would have to do the voice slightly different anyway. But bottom line is they shouldn't bring Linda back in purely for Fan favor alone. If someone can do it better then it should go to them.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Lord Exor wrote:The dub is an English interpretation, it doesn't have to have perfect English voice doubles of the Japanese actors.
Of course not, but at least Ayres captures who Frieza is better than Young. Don't get me wrong, she is a good Genkai, but completely miscast as Frieza.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Are you talking about the writing, or the voice itself? I disagree on both counts, or at least as far as the writing is concerned, the Chris Ayres version is more of what I'd say a caricature of Frieza would be like. I don't see how Linda's voice for Frieza in itself doesn't capture the character, in much the same way that Sean Schemmel or Chris Sabat capture their own respective characters with voices that deviate markedly from the originals.
—Frieza

—Frieza

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Eh, if anything, Funi's current writing makes Freeza come off as slightly more intelligent in his speech than in the jpn version. Other than that the spirit of the character is there: an androgynous voiced tyrant with a condescending polite tone

All I got from Linda's version was that Freeza was creepy, but not in a good memorable way.

I'll take a faithful but slightly more intelligent sounding Freeza over what essentially sounded like a granny shouting juvenile lines and jokes.
Last edited by MR.Mark on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:59 pm

Lord Exor wrote:Are you talking about the writing, or the voice itself? I disagree on both counts, or at least as far as the writing is concerned, the Chris Ayres version is more of what I'd say a caricature of Frieza would be like. I don't see how Linda's voice for Frieza in itself doesn't capture the character, in much the same way that Sean Schemmel or Chris Sabat capture their own respective characters with voices that deviate markedly from the originals.
I'm talking about the writing. I mean, "Ride 'em cowboy" or "Pop goes the weasel" isn't something Frieza would say. That's something a cartoon villain from the 1980's would say, and the voice actors (Frank Welker's Megatron, Chris Latta's Cobra Commander, Peter Cullen's Venger and Alan Oppenheimer's Skeletor) who played those villains gave them voices that actually fitted them.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Is it possible Funi will delay production of the dub alittle to wait for Chris to get better? I know the show must go on but I really do love Chris's work as Freeza and I'd hate to see him replaced.