Should Frieza have an heroic moment?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Should Frieza have an heroic moment?

Post by KingKaash » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:04 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
KingKaash wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
How does that change what I said? Hes going to have to manipulate the Zenos to their own demise. He isnt overpowering them.
When you say manipulate it sounds like you mean he'll trick these all-powerful beings with dirty tactics because of their childish behavior and rule over them. I'm saying the way he said it sounds like he will overpower them. Which is absolutely ridiculous because he can never reach whatever power the Zen-Ohs are at. But I doubt he can trick them with the Grand Priest there either. Therefore it made no sense for Frieza to think like this at all when he was shaking at the sight of Beerus in RoF. He's not even at Beerus level so he shouldn't even consider the Zen-Ohs
I get what youre saying now. Yeah it could be taken to mean that...I just see it as so implausible I dont think it was meant that way. I mean maybe it was just a cool Frieza line that means nothing outside his own head.

Maybe the Super Dragon Balls but I'm still hoping they dont impact Zeno.
Hmm that's a good point I didn't consider. If Frieza does somehow get his hands on the Super Dragon Balls and if the power of the SDB can even affect the Zen-Ohs then maybe Frieza will be able to manipulate them without overpowering them. I can see what you're saying now too because I hadn't even thought of that :thumbup:
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:50 pm

So does this episode count? It's not exactly what I meant, but he does turn out to not betray his team (at least yet) and cooperated with Gohan so that they could defeat Frost.

He could still turn out to be a scumbag in the end but I'm still hoping that he goes down in an genuine attempt to help his team win.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Well I love how Freeza betrays someone just not who you expect.

But as for redeeming Freeza I have very mixed feelings. I do think some characters shouldn't be redeemed and Freeza is one of them. Freeza just comes off as a sociopath to me who loves to torture his victims. I don't see anything redeemable in him even if he doesn't betray U7. I am sure he would betray them if it would benefit him. But if it doesn't then he will use his cunning to help U7.

But Freeza was already defeated twice. Even with his golden form ultimately I don't see how he would be a real match for Goku. What are they going to do with his character? Send him down to Hell again after reviving him. It almost seems a waste. And while he's far from my favorite I know he is a fan favorite.

I really am at a loss what they can credibly do with his character after this arc is over. But I guess I'll find out.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Freeza's own words in today's episode was, "Do not trust anyone."

Freeza will definitely betray Universe 7 again by the end of this tournament, or after this arc ends overall and he continues with his evil ways.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:18 am

I like the way he's being handled as of now. The cutthroat wildcard who's seemingly just buying his time to screw everyone over, and making everyone he encounters uneasy no matter how much stronger they are compared to him.
No need to ruin that with him having an out of character heroic moment.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:55 am

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:I like the way he's being handled as of now. The cutthroat wildcard who's seemingly just buying his time to screw everyone over, and making everyone he encounters uneasy no matter how much stronger they are compared to him.
I don't think it'd be too out of character. He knows he's about as strong as Super Saiyan Blue Goku so in the next couple episodes he should know that Jiren drastically surpasses him and Goku as well with the Kaioken.

He should know that there's no way that he could ever beat Jiren. So it would be different if we saw him acknowledge that and somehow does something that helps keep Goku in, realizing that he is the only one who could actually beat him and save them all, himself included.

So that's why I wouldn't be opposed to something like what we saw in the Heroes opening with Goku and Frieza standing side by side to fight Jiren. It'd be kinda like when Goku and PIccolo teamed up to beat Raditz.

I think that would be a lot better than what everyone is expecting him to do, a nice little twist.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:03 am

Bullza wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:I like the way he's being handled as of now. The cutthroat wildcard who's seemingly just buying his time to screw everyone over, and making everyone he encounters uneasy no matter how much stronger they are compared to him.
I don't think it'd be too out of character. He knows he's about as strong as Super Saiyan Blue Goku so in the next couple episodes he should know that Jiren drastically surpasses him and Goku as well with the Kaioken.

He should know that there's no way that he could ever beat Jiren. So it would be different if we saw him acknowledge that and somehow does something that helps keep Goku in, realizing that he is the only one who could actually beat him and save them all, himself included.

So that's why I wouldn't be opposed to something like what we saw in the Heroes opening with Goku and Frieza standing side by side to fight Jiren. It'd be kinda like when Goku and PIccolo teamed up to beat Raditz.

I think that would be a lot better than what everyone is expecting him to do, a nice little twist.
I don't consider him teaming with Goku to be a heroic moment, it just means he's teaming with Goku in a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" sort of deal. Which is fine as long as they don't make Frieza look like a good guy. He's not, nor should he ever look like a good guy.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:29 am

Here we are again, this time he helped Goku out by sharing some of his energy towards the Spirit Bomb.

He seemed all sinister at the end but you know he's not going to do anything because Goku is still supposed to be there in the next few episodes. Maybe he'll even help him out.

Again not quite an heroic moment just yet but it's getting there.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:14 am

If the next episode doesn't feature Freeza giving his energy to Goku, I'll [[[]]]].

The final line was absolutely an allusion to Goku giving Freeza his energy on Namek, down to the fake-out cutaway. (The way the scene is structured in the manga places Goku's blast in the corner prior to a page turn and features Freeza bracing for pain.)

What the intention there is and whether it's a ploy to be named MVP, I couldn't say.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:31 am

If Freeza turns good completely I'm burning all my DVDs of Dragonball and erasing all my files on the computer of anything Dragonball and quitting the franchise forever. And ever.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:22 am

I bet the IT will be used for Freeza appearing on certain events in the future as surprise entry ala Anti Hero or whatever.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:34 am

He's not going to turn good at all, he's doing what he needs to do to survive.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:41 am

precita wrote:If Freeza turns good completely I'm burning all my DVDs of Dragonball and erasing all my files on the computer of anything Dragonball and quitting the franchise forever. And ever.
It would be the straw that breaks the camel's back, you might say.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:He's not going to turn good at all, he's doing what he needs to do to survive.
This but I still could see him being a returning character (LOL) in certain events

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:30 am

They won't turn him into a good character. He's meant to be the ultimate villain, I can't see them ever doing anything like that.

I do think that Frieza will probably take the fall for Goku somewhere though.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:18 pm

As I said before... I doubt he will party with the main cast and all.

But if he will be revived (which I still doubt cuz the earth DBs can't do it again) I think he will leave for good but for important fights and events he will return with Instant Transmission like an Anti Hero

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:49 pm

I really hope they don't redeem Freeza at least not easily because that would be a waste. I don't want him
To be redeemed at all but if they are going to do it needs to take time. He can't just wake up and say I guess I am
good now. lol

But it does look like Freeza may give some of his energy to Goku in the next episode. That's an interesting development. I mean it's either that or he is trying to kill him but I doubt that.

Personally though I hope Freeza is just helping for now but has a cunning plan up his sleeve.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:53 pm

precita wrote:If Freeza turns good completely I'm burning all my DVDs of Dragonball and erasing all my files on the computer of anything Dragonball and quitting the franchise forever. And ever.

Now we know what Freeza's true diabolical plan is. Turn good so Dragon Ball fans will get pissed and destroy everything Dragon Ball.

This is how Freeza will finally defeat Goku.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:49 pm

define ''turn good''? frieza is a psychopath. sadistic and all but why should he hate goku and the z fighters after this? they revived him. they gave him another chance and thats it. his revenge plans are over. dosent mean that he ''turn good'' just dosent have any motivation for revenge anymore

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Freeza I'd say still wants some kind of revenge on the saiyans but for now is putting the grudge aside since his exsistance is on the line. Makes me wonder though what his overall goal is. We know he wants the super dragon balls for his own wish. Maybe to make him a god? That does seem within Freeza's character, but maybe something more sinister.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy