Should Frieza have an heroic moment?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Should Frieza have an heroic moment?

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:42 am

Going into this Tournament pretty much everyone expects Frieza to betray his team or screw them over in some way. Even his inner monologuing shows that he's up to something. I would hope that doesn't happen myself.

So this idea came to me because of the Super Dragon Ball Heroes Opening #5 which shows what looks to be the last 3 fighters as Goku and Frieza Vs Jiren. That won't necessarily happen in the series but it couldhappen.

In any case I thought wouldn't it be interesting if Frieza has some development over the next 40 minutes due to all the dramatics and intensity of it all, if Frieza doesn't betray anybody and actually does team up with Goku to win.

What if for once in his life he acknowledges that Goku is better than him and is the only who could beat Jiren so acts as a sacrificial decoy to give Goku an opening or even takes a shot in Goku's place which knocks him off but keeps Goku in.

Should something like that happen? I'm definitely not saying I want him to become a good guy or a Z Fighter one day but I would like to see him defy expectations by genuinely trying to do the right thing.

Think Goku and Piccolo teaming up to fight Raditz or something.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Should Frieza have an heroic moment?

Post by MisteryOne » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:00 am

Heroes' trailer is not really pointing out those three as being the last ones remaining, just like it didn't point out that Vegeta and Trunks were not in the future facing Black or they wasn't there when the Zamasu duo fused. It's pointing out that a Frieza vs Jiren, or a Frieza/Goku team vs Jiren is happening.

Personally, I only want Frieza to truly impact Super. Not another Mecha Frieza. Not another Resurection of F. I don't really want him to be keep around as some people suggest, but I want him to fuck up something. Give him the SDB wish, or allow he to in some way trick the gods. Since Toriyama had bringed him back AGAIN (I still think it's an awful idea in every aspect, at least the way it has been handled) I want him to do something this time. I mean, you could literally skip ROF before he appeared again in the actual arc and you would not miss anything.

More than a heroic moment, I want most of the people at the ToP to lookat Frieza with fear or surprise at some moment. It sounds crazy? FT arc ending also did and it was amazing IMHO.

Now, that's what I want to happen. About what will actually happen...I think that either Jiren takes out him easily, or he saves Goku in a tricky situation, but not against Jiren. And I definetly don't expect he seriously saying Goku that he is better than him, let alone a similar situation to the Piccolo and Raditz one.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:29 am

Maybe just to fool everyone and then betray all of them. They are not even hiding Freeza is as evil as always, with higher aspirations now.
Heno heno kappa!

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:43 am

The closest thing to a "heroic" moment from Freeza would be attacking the competitor who is causing difficulty for the Saiyan under the pretext of no one except himself being allowed to defeat Goku; then proceeding to torture said contestant in any manner he can if possible. Freeza is not a righteous person in the slightest. Whatever minute hint of positive emotion he may have felt died with Cold.

I do want his participation to have a lasting impact on the course of events, though. Him acquiring the Super Dragon Balls would suit that aim perfectly.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:41 am

If they hadn't already done it with Frost, they could have built him to a moment where it seems like he's actually changing and it warms our hearts, only to twist the knife and make us hate him even more when he turns out to still be evil.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:00 am

Oh god no, that is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Nothing in his character development had even remotely suggested this would be believable.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:06 pm

MisteryOne wrote:Heroes' trailer is not really pointing out those three as being the last ones remaining, just like it didn't point out that Vegeta and Trunks were not in the future facing Black or they wasn't there when the Zamasu duo fused. It's pointing out that a Frieza vs Jiren, or a Frieza/Goku team vs Jiren is happening.

Personally, I only want Frieza to truly impact Super. Not another Mecha Frieza. Not another Resurection of F. I don't really want him to be keep around as some people suggest, but I want him to fuck up something. Give him the SDB wish, or allow he to in some way trick the gods. Since Toriyama had bringed him back AGAIN (I still think it's an awful idea in every aspect, at least the way it has been handled) I want him to do something this time. I mean, you could literally skip ROF before he appeared again in the actual arc and you would not miss anything.

More than a heroic moment, I want most of the people at the ToP to lookat Frieza with fear or surprise at some moment. It sounds crazy? FT arc ending also did and it was amazing IMHO.

Now, that's what I want to happen. About what will actually happen...I think that either Jiren takes out him easily, or he saves Goku in a tricky situation, but not against Jiren. And I definetly don't expect he seriously saying Goku that he is better than him, let alone a similar situation to the Piccolo and Raditz one.
If you skipped ROF youd be like "Why the hell is this guy Golden?"
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:53 pm

PeanutSaiyan wrote:Oh god no, that is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Nothing in his character development had even remotely suggested this would be believable.
Yeah because it wouldn't be a necessary development up until this specific point.

This would be the same as Piccolo teaming up to fight Raditz and Vegeta teaming up to fight the Ginyu Force and Frieza. There was no underhanded means to it and it was genuine team up.

Frieza isn't the strongest one in this Tournament and at some point he's bound to realise it so him teaming up with someone without any backstabbing or trickery so that they could win isn't unbelievable.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 pm

No...because it isnt in his character. He was literally chopped in half on Namek and wouldnt admit Goku best him. He was on his knees in ROF...same deal.

Its not him.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:15 pm

It's not freeza to be heroic..
He might get smarter and attain a more entertaining android arc Vegeta persona but not a hero
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:21 pm

So you guys want Freeza's character to be ruined? Freeza is evil, he should never be "heroic."

Freeza turning good would be the last straw that breaks the camels back. The biggest jump the shark moment in the franchise history. Thankfully I don't think it will happen.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:27 pm

If that heroic moment leads to his goal of being the overlord of all bastards, then sure. I just want Freeza coming back to amount to something overall.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:36 pm

precita wrote:So you guys want Freeza's character to be ruined? Freeza is evil, he should never be "heroic."

Freeza turning good would be the last straw that breaks the camels back. The biggest jump the shark moment in the franchise history. Thankfully I don't think it will happen.
Was Piccolo ruined when he had to team up with Goku right after a saga where he plotted to take over the entire world? He'd previously killed Roshi, Krillin and Tien too so he was completely evil.

Vegeta wasn't ruined when he teamed up with Gohan and Krillin to fight the Ginyu Force. He even saved Gohan's life at one point.

What's wrong with Frieza doing something similar? I specifically said I didn't want him to become a good guy but I don't see why he couldn't drop the sinister mind set for just a couple minutes in order to beat someone who he knows he can't beat alone.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Not exactly heroic but I can see him saving a U7 member just so he can continue living. This action will probably make him appreciate Goku letting him revive to a certain extent, I don't think he'll necessarily turn good but he might be more hesitant in the future about trying to kill them since he realizes Goku is the one that gave him that chance.

If his intelligence outweighs his ego he will just help them win the tournament so he can live and then leave Goku alone for a while so he can train and fight him in the future. If Frieza really wanted to he could just continue his empire and as long as he's not reigning terror anywhere near Earth he should be good.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:44 pm

If this was Cell I'd of said "yes", but this is Frieza...

...does killing Jiren when it looks like Goku can't beat him and getting himself disqualified in the process count as a heroic moment? He'd save U7 in doing so, but would rob Goku of that sweet sweet fight that he so desperately wanted. That's the only way I'd believe Frieza did something heroic. To be a dick to Goku.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:04 pm

Zagacious wrote:Not exactly heroic but I can see him saving a U7 member just so he can continue living. This action will probably make him appreciate Goku letting him revive to a certain extent, I don't think he'll necessarily turn good but he might be more hesitant in the future about trying to kill them since he realizes Goku is the one that gave him that chance.

If his intelligence outweighs his ego he will just help them win the tournament so he can live and then leave Goku alone for a while so he can train and fight him in the future. If Frieza really wanted to he could just continue his empire and as long as he's not reigning terror anywhere near Earth he should be good.
Yeah this is mostly what I was talking about and what I would want to see.

I don't want Frieza to be sent back to Hell for what would be the third time. At the same time I don't want him to continue to have a grudge against Goku and the others and would plot revenge and be an enemy again.

Like you said, Id like him to get over his ego and actually acknowledge he can't win by himself so does the smart thing by assisting his team. Due to those actions Goku really would revive him and then Frieza would go off to do his own thing and finally put the Saiyan obsession to rest.

I'm not sure what that thing could be. I kinda like the idea someone suggested once that he becomes a God of Destruction in another universe but I don't know how that would work now.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Bullza wrote:Like you said, Id like him to get over his ego and actually acknowledge he can't win by himself so does the smart thing by assisting his team. Due to those actions Goku really would revive him and then Frieza would go off to do his own thing and finally put the Saiyan obsession to rest.

I'm not sure what that thing could be. I kinda like the idea someone suggested once that he becomes a God of Destruction in another universe but I don't know how that would work now.
I think his intentions for betrayal are more toward manipulating the gods in general and not really U7 now, or it seems that way. I could see him betraying U7 very easily still but I think he has the bigger picture in mind now that he's seen all these gods and somewhat knows their power. I think it'll come down to if an opportunity to betray U7 will come up or not (obviously if the writers choose it), but it may be such a small betrayal like saving Frost one time that U7 will ultimately forgive him again out of desperation. If he does save Frost I think they also would be kind of understanding even if it is still betraying them, I kind of see it similarly to how Vegeta probably wouldn't admit it but he also has feelings toward Cabba and the other Saiyans just because they are Saiyan Blood he wouldn't want them to be erased.

I could definitely see him potentially becoming a God of Destruction down the line also, it was also kind of subtley implied he would be a good God of Destruction for U9 in that one episode. Also assuming Golden Form is tapping into god ki ,I'm not sure if this was ever stated, then he's already on the way to becoming a god.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:37 pm

I want Freeza to go out like a boss.. nothing more nothing less. He can have some moments where he helps the z fighters but only to gain favor for his ultimate goal..which is to control the entire multiverse.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 pm

This isn't Naruto where everyone becomes a good guy by the end. They are portraying Frieza as the worst of the worst.

The ONLY way I'd see Frieza "saving" or "help" anyone out is out of personal interest. If somebody gets knocked out and he can do something about it, the only reason he would help is because assistance was required for his ultimate goal. Which is to be revived and rule all of the universes.

The second he can turn on someone or he's home free, he will go berserk.

This is why I believe if the Heroes ending was correct, Frieza will turn on Goku and Jiren to make sure he's the last one standing.
How i predict the tournament will end:

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:10 am

Basako wrote:Maybe just to fool everyone and then betray all of them. They are not even hiding Freeza is as evil as always, with higher aspirations now.
And that's what makes RoF so unnecessary to me. In RoF, Frieza is shown to be genuinely afraid of Beerus the moment he sees that Beerus is watching his fight with Goku. And now all of a sudden Frieza is plotting to overthrow the ultimate God Zen-Oh? I personally like this ToP Frieza that wants to overthrow Zen-Oh because that feels like the real Frieza, the cruel conquering emperor.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16