Is Dragon Ball Super really "Super"?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Is Dragon Ball Super really "Super"?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:58 pm

I've been waiting to make this thread forever, and I wanted to wait until Super has reached 100 episodes, and since we're almost there, I just want to ask one simple question to everybody:
On it's own merits, is Dragon Ball Super really all that "Super"? Take off your DBZ nostalgia glasses and look at this series as it's own thing, tell me if it's "Super". Does it deserve that name, "Super", or is it not "Super" at all, and deserves to be called something like "Dragon Bullshit" or something? Your thoughts?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Akyon
Regular

Re: Is Dragon Ball Super really "Super"?

Post by Akyon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Depends what you like about the series. I think the character focused episodes are easily one of Super's strongest aspects.

Zamasu and Black are villains rivalling the best Dragonball has to offer. Honestly I wasn't very impressed by Super on the whole until these guys blew me away.
Frieza's return(not RoF, the current one) has been one of the best things to happen in the series.
I'm honestly surprised at how many AWFUL ideas on paper have actually worked in Super: EVIL GOKU, FRIEZA RETURNS AGAIN, etc. Next week I guess we'll see if FEMALE BROLY is actually an idea that can also work or if Kale's only doomed to be a Broly reference forever.

One thing that bothered me with Z was how everyone fought the same. Didn't matter how far into space you went, everyone used ki. Super has shaken things up a bit with some interesting neat abilities that only the likes of Guldo and Ginyu could match. Botamo might be very weak as a personality(generic brute outside his friendship with Magetta) but his ability made me stand up straight and get interested. Bergamo is another excellent example of creativity in powers that make Super somewhat more enjoyable for me personally than late Z. Hit's time skip is another.
Maybe One Piece spoilt me with the creative abilities, but looking back at Z, the show was generally pretty awful at coming up with unique abilities outside of Piccolo, Buu and maybe Gotenks.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:17 pm

In my opinion? Hell yes.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Zamasu and Black were two imog the biggest wasted opportunities in Super. Very general, weakly developed characters. I think that sums up Super: a colossal wasted opportunity from the fan's perspective.

From the shareholder's perspective? A "Super@ cash cow.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Huh... I don't think so. Maybe "Dragon Ball Normal"? "Dragon Ball Usual"? "Dragon Ball Ordinary"? "Dragon Ball Common"? There's nothing "Super" about it overall, although some specific elements are indeed "Super" (Multiverse concept, angels standing above Gods in power and having a different hierarchy, a being ruling the Megaverse and etc). If we take all these things out, then all that's left is the Dragon Ball we all know.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:36 pm

I mean from a personal rating from me it'd be like "Dragon Ball Ok" or "Dragonball Slightly Above Average"

Do I think that Super could get more... well... Super? Of course the series has come very far since the ROF arc, but there needs to be more before I can truly call it Super, at least not yet, this current arc has been awesome, I'd say if Super just kicked off on the U6 Arc with some cliff notes of the BOG and ROF changes, this series would live up far more to it's name.

For me currently it's a 6.5/10 if it this Arc goes as well as it currently is and ramps up from there I could be looking at a 7.5, 8.5 or higher would be "Super" for me personally.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:43 pm

It's going pretty sweet right now, but will I call it super? Nope.. Dragonball in general is not super for me..
There are plenty other shows better than this and even most of those don't deserve a title of super..

Just considering Dragonball world though, yes it's a worthy continuation of z and worthy of being titled super
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Akyon wrote:Depends what you like about the series. I think the character focused episodes are easily one of Super's strongest aspects.

Zamasu and Black are villains rivalling the best Dragonball has to offer. Honestly I wasn't very impressed by Super on the whole until these guys blew me away.
Frieza's return(not RoF, the current one) has been one of the best things to happen in the series.
I'm honestly surprised at how many AWFUL ideas on paper have actually worked in Super: EVIL GOKU, FRIEZA RETURNS AGAIN, etc. Next week I guess we'll see if FEMALE BROLY is actually an idea that can also work or if Kale's only doomed to be a Broly reference forever.

One thing that bothered me with Z was how everyone fought the same. Didn't matter how far into space you went, everyone used ki. Super has shaken things up a bit with some interesting neat abilities that only the likes of Guldo and Ginyu could match. Botamo might be very weak as a personality(generic brute outside his friendship with Magetta) but his ability made me stand up straight and get interested. Bergamo is another excellent example of creativity in powers that make Super somewhat more enjoyable for me personally than late Z. Hit's time skip is another.
Maybe One Piece spoilt me with the creative abilities, but looking back at Z, the show was generally pretty awful at coming up with unique abilities outside of Piccolo, Buu
and maybe Gotenks.
I have exactly the same opinion. :clap:

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Nope. There's nothing "Super" about Dragon Ball Super. The core designs, sound effects, musical score and its placement and basic characterization of the main cast are below average trash. Nothing stands out.

Exceptions exist, just like in everything. I like few of those exceptions. Kuririn focused filler episodes to name one. But, they are exceptions and doesn't change my opinion on the show as a whole. It has failed to impress me. And, this ain't nostalgia speaking. I don't consider the franchise as a whole even during its original run anything more than mediocre, but DBS can't even be that.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Nope. There's nothing "Super" about Dragon Ball Super. The core designs, sound effects, musical score and its placement and basic characterization of the main cast are below average trash. Nothing stands out.

Exceptions exist, just like in everything. I like few of those exceptions. Kuririn focused filler episodes to name one. But, they are exceptions and doesn't change my opinion on the show as a whole. It has failed to impress me. And, this ain't nostalgia speaking. I don't consider the franchise as a whole even during its original run anything more than mediocre, but DBS can't even be that.
So you're just gonna call it "Dragon Bullshit"?
Caulifla best girl! :)

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:01 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Nope. There's nothing "Super" about Dragon Ball Super. The core designs, sound effects, musical score and its placement and basic characterization of the main cast are below average trash. Nothing stands out.

So you're just gonna call it "Dragon Bullshit"?
It would be more fitting. Or maybe even "Dragonball Garbage.". Or the S can stand for Dragonball: Sell-out."

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:07 pm

I personally find it good someone dared to bring this thread up...

As my signature suggests I'm not satisfied with Super... But I must admit that some moments are on par with classic Dragon Ball, but constant performance hasn't been worked out yet. My first problem is that I can not find Dragon Ball in this acutal story yet, and I'm not even daring to raise the question as it stands above(the "super" term should suggest this) classic contents.

No, it's not "Super", not even close.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Yeah its Super compared to no DB at all and "Good" compared to previous DB.

Though its named after the Super Dragon Balls Id think.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:35 pm

I don't understand the point of this thread? It's just the name of the series. Toei weren't exactly arrogant and like "we are making a new DB series it's gonna be be so Super we're gonna call it Dragon Ball Super" then I'd understand the point here.

To me this thread feels like more plug to hate on DBS.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Low Tone G wrote:I personally find it good someone dared to bring this thread up...
Dared? What, do you think someone asking "Do you like Super?" is some tabo subject?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't understand the point of this thread? It's just the name of the series. Toei weren't exactly arrogant and like "we are making a new DB series it's gonna be be so Super we're gonna call it Dragon Ball Super" then I'd understand the point here.

To me this thread feels like more plug to hate on DBS.
Not to mention, there was once a thread regarding this same topic.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:48 pm

The first two arcs we're just me, since the movies were paced so much better. The Universe 6 arc things started to heat up and ever since the Trunks arc, while far from perfect started to make the series feel super.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:50 pm

I find it to be a letdown, tbh. I thought DBS would consist of visiting other universes.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Low Tone G wrote:I personally find it good someone dared to bring this thread up...
Dared? What, do you think someone asking "Do you like Super?" is some tabo subject?
Actually, I'd sense this thread is not that simple as whether you like it or not...
In my view, it can be raised the question that the title should suggest some reasons to believe that the series was meant to be upgraded in some form or shape.

For example:
1. Stakes like never before
2. More mature content
3. Even deeper message

Maybe the stakes have been raised a bit, but we must witness the show's devolution in other aspects. In my humble opinion, at least.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:25 pm

I feel like this is just asking if I think Super is good.

To which my answer is, yes. I don't feel like going through the whole shtick of "Well I like it but it's got some problems..."

Just, Yeah I think it's good. No nostalgia goggles involved. If I thought it wasn't worth my time I wouldn't be here, though admittedly it does take something truly god awful or some thing boring for me to drop it. I find Super to be neither.

If I had to replace the title with something I find reflects my overall feelings, I'd give it "Dragonball dandy."
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.