Is Dragon Ball Super really "Super"?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: Is Dragon Ball Super really "Super"?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:19 am

precita wrote:
Overlord78 wrote:Not even close to being "Super". Dragon Ball in general is a pretty mediocre franchise (read One Piece or HxH if you want a good shounen series) but I consider Super to be absolute trash alongside GT.
What makes it absolute trash? The way you people talk as if Super has destroyed the franchise or something. The show obviously has it's flaws, but complete trash?
And why even call it "Super"?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:26 pm

The in-between episodes are pretty super, but that's about it.
Retired.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:33 pm

Super comes from the super dragon balls, which are much bigger and better and the original series was Dragon Ball, so it's appropriate. And it sounds cool!
Heno heno kappa!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:51 pm

The name of the show itself should have been "Battle of the Gods" like the 14th movie. Virtually every storyline in Super stemmed from Beerus' arrival and all the major fights/arcs have been about fighting Gods, Kai's, or people with God like power.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:36 pm

Overlord78 wrote:Not even close to being "Super". Dragon Ball in general is a pretty mediocre franchise (read One Piece or HxH if you want a good shounen series) but I consider Super to be absolute trash alongside GT.
And here you are on a site about a "pretty mediocre franchise".
If it was a "pretty mediocre franchise" it wouldn't have inspired Oda and Togashi, in the first place. Both always look up to Akira Toriyama as a God in their interviews.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Yomi wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote: I don't consider the franchise as a whole even during its original run anything more than mediocre, but DBS can't even be that.
Why would you watch 500 episodes of below mediocre. Then watch 99 episodes of pure trash?
What's the point if you don't enjoy it. I never understood this mentality of torturing yourself.
I made this same point on another thread earlier today. The only explanation I can think of is that they want to be apart of the DB series because it's a big thing, one of the most popular shonen anime ever, and if you're even remotely a fan of the shonen genre, you have to experience all of it. Just like many people watched all of Naruto or Bleach even after they stopped liking it. It's the completionist mentality.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Super shows a lot of promise with its lore and can be very engaging, even during it's most uneventful episodes. Hell, some of the most entertaining episodes in all of Super, and Dragon Ball as whole to be quite frank, have been the slice-of-life/cooldown episodes. But the show overall still has many rough edges with its inconsistent animation, occasionally flat soundtrack and the unappealing current Yamamuro art-style. On certain days, when Super wants to be great, it can be really great. But when it's awful, holy shit, is it awful. Ever since the Champa/Universe 6 arc, the show has really pick up in terms of overall quality and Future Trunks arc has show the potential of how great Super can be.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Future Trunks arc has show the potential of how great Super can be.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:11 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Future Trunks arc has show the potential of how great Super can be.

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:35 pm

It sure is a show of ups and downs. And it's interesting because when I was watching the..let's just say "inferior" sagas like the U6 tournament and Golden Frieza saga, I was so absorbed in it all that its flaws didn't really get to me. Maybe it's because they were shorter sagas, but I didn't realize their faults until reflecting upon them. As dumb as it sounds, the Goku Black arc was when I really started thinking while watching Super, and was astounded by where that arc took the series. At first, I didn't know if I was okay with it. It challenged the norms of the series, but I'm pretty proud of how it all turned out.

I don't really get how people are complaining about the OST. Since the beginning, I've dug Super's soundtrack. In my opinion, it has a even better soundtrack than Z (not Kai). The soundtrack really reflects both the childish humor and epic moments of the series. Again, the Goku Black arc was when the OST really took off, with tracks like Goku Black's theme, and "Desperate Assault", and don't forget "Blue saiyan." So awesome, and a real testament to the legacy of this franchise. Sure, the show reuses it songs a lot, but I'm fine with that, and I also dig it when they use songs from the Kai 2014 OST, because those are some of my favorite DBZ songs (sorry Faulconer).

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:06 pm

The fact its called Super is very likely due to the fact this series has a very prominent transformation in it called "Super Saiyan" and the title worked for marketing. They aint changing it now, so while your entitled to your opinion, your just going to have to live with the fact its called Super and if you want people to know what the hell your talking about you'll need to call it that at least once to every new person you ever discuss the subject with. So the shows title wins because your gonna have to acknowledge it one way or another.

Overlord78
Beyond Newbie

Post by Overlord78 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:29 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
And here you are on a site about a "pretty mediocre franchise".
If it was a "pretty mediocre franchise" it wouldn't have inspired Oda and Togashi, in the first place. Both always look up to Akira Toriyama as a God in their interviews.
Just because DB inspired Oda and Togashi doesn't make it any less mediocre in my eyes. They liked what they saw and in turn made far better series as a result from this inspiration.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Super is hated because all the original fans are now adults and have outgrown kids shows so they notice the flaws of the franchise more now that they wouldn't care about when they were kids.

If all of you were 10 years old right now, you guys would absolutely love Super.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:53 pm

precita wrote:Super is hated because all the original fans are now adults and have outgrown kids shows so they notice the flaws of the franchise more now that they wouldn't care about when they were kids.

If all of you were 10 years old right now, you guys would absolutely love Super.
I don't know. Dragon ball/Z/GT are still the superior series, moreso if you watch it for the tension, violence and fighting.
I'd only put Supers character interaction above the prequels.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:41 am

precita wrote:Super is hated because all the original fans are now adults and have outgrown kids shows.

A lot of us still rewatch the originals and other Shonen anime and still enjoy them so that's not the reason. The reason fans complain about Super is simply because it's a very flawed show.

If DB was just aimed at 10 year olds then it wouldn't have gotten as popular as it has, same goes for other shonen like One Piece and Naruto.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:52 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:
precita wrote:Super is hated because all the original fans are now adults and have outgrown kids shows so they notice the flaws of the franchise more now that they wouldn't care about when they were kids.

I don't know. Dragon ball/Z/GT are still the superior series, moreso if you watch it for the tension, violence and fighting.
Super's character interactions have nothing on its predecessors.

spencer7x7

Post by spencer7x7 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:25 am

For me DBS is Super enough. The animation is better overall, pacing is better overall (although this current arc is extremely slow), characters are better.

The stakes and violence will never be at the level of Z, but this is for the new generation. All we can do is either enjoy the ride or I dunno.
Penguin eating fish.

(o< <º))))><
//\
V/_

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:53 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:

Super's character interactions have nothing on its predecessors.
Y'all over here acting like Super is the Teen Titans Go of Dragon Ball Z.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:43 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
precita wrote:
What makes it absolute trash? The way you people talk as if Super has destroyed the franchise or something. The show obviously has it's flaws, but complete trash?
And why even call it "Super"?
Ummm because of the Super Dragon Balls probably.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:49 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote: Ummm because of the Super Dragon Balls probably.
Didn't toriyama say he named it super because the use of the word super a lot previously..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker