Toshio DBS writer states Tien is an Alien

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulianStyles
Banned

Toshio DBS writer states Tien is an Alien

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:02 pm

I first would like to address the moderators. I see topics about when this writer stated Roshi is not stronger than Tien. Topic about when this writer clarified why Goku went SSB against friends in recruiting.

So I dont see any reason why this topic should be locked if those were allowed to exist. This doesnt fit into announcement thread or power level thread.

This is a subject that needs its own topic as it will inform the community better.

And the link

https://mobile.twitter.com/toshio916/st ... 1738408960

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Toshio DBS writer states Tien is an Alien

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:15 pm

I don't see what this brings to the table. He's stating the same thing that's recycled over and over: that Tenshinhan is descended from aliens, and in a "general view" (whatever that means to him in his original Japanese intent), Kuririn is the "most powerful Earthling".

None of this is new, there is nothing being "informed" to the "community" here, and it's is just another example of someone pestering this poor writer on Twitter with inane strength questions and it baffles me just how exceedingly polite he is in the face of it. He's a better person than I am.

This is very transparently just another excuse for you to post yet another "Tenshinhan vs. Kuririn" thread. We truly do get it. I promise you. And you know that it isn't worth its own thread, since you separately (more-appropriately) posted it in the strength thread.

Please re-evaluate what it is you're looking to accomplish in your time here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Yes I posted it in those threads because I do not know what you will allow to breathe. This is new information because other than the Daizenshuu, dvd bios and a few game bios. Tien being stated has never been actually quoted by someone with hands on knowledge.

What I'm trying to accomplish is not to incite peoples anger. But to completely change the mind set of what is based in false information or not the complete story for 18 years. As you can see I'm passionate about this. And I find its only our country that has misinterpreted this so much. How can something reach people if its on page 3,000 of a thread thats constantly changing?

How many youtubers out there that dont know these things but preach to hundreds of thousands of people the wrong information?

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I don't see what this brings to the table. He's stating the same thing that's recycled over and over: that Tenshinhan is descended from aliens, and in a "general view" (whatever that means to him in his original Japanese intent), Kuririn is the "most powerful Earthling".

None of this is new, there is nothing being "informed" to the "community" here, and it's is just another example of someone pestering this poor writer on Twitter with inane strength questions and it baffles me just how exceedingly polite he is in the face of it. He's a better person than I am.

This is very transparently just another excuse for you to post yet another "Tenshinhan vs. Kuririn" thread. We truly do get it. I promise you. And you know that it isn't worth its own thread, since you separately (more-appropriately) posted it in the strength thread.

You don't know what this brings to the table? It brings the new fact that Tenshinhan is not considered an earthling like Krillin, therefore, the argument Kuririn is stronger than Tenshinhan, because, he is the strongest Earthling doesn't count anymore.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:01 pm

I honestly feel like this just muddies the waters here even more. Why is the word Earthling used all the time rather than Human? Is 18 not an Earthling? She is a cyborg created from a human woman with robotic/cybernetic enhancements manufactured from entirely terrestrial parts and means. Goku isn't an Earthling because he was born on Planet Vegeta? Okay, so, what, that means Gohan's only Half-Earthling? He's Half-Human, certainly, but he's spent his entire life on Earth. :problem: Okay, so Tien's descended from three-eyed aliens. A species that apparently doesn't exist anywhere else in Universe 7 or in the remainder of the multiverse, and even though he's spent his entire life on Earth too, he's "not an Earthling." I just don't understand the qualitative point here, especially when there are many other weird creatures on Dragon Ball's Earth like Korin, Oolong, and Pilaf, all of whom are probably Earthlings ( :crazy: ), but Krillin is the strongest "Earthling," but, what, not necessarily the strongest human? It's really not making sense. The distinction seems to exist for the incredibly and pathetically unnecessary niche of allowing Tien to be placed in a separate category in terms of strength considerations to avoid triggering Tien fans when Krillin fans cling to Word of GodTM that Krillin is the strongest Earthling.

I think it's completely irrelevant at this point. By power scaling, Tien should be stronger than Krillin, but by feats it looks like Krillin is probably stronger, at this point, than Tien (which, I agree, I think is dumb). I love both characters. I am sad to see Tenshinhan so utterly disrespected by Super. I am also sad to see Krillin eliminated so quickly in the Tournament of Power. Let's stop with this meaningless Earthling =/= Human, Tien vs Krillin flame war. Also, I don't know that I've seen anyone here arguing that Krillin is stronger than Tien because "b-but he's the strongest Earthling! Toriyama said so!!" but if they have, then I'd argue that's honestly just as meaningless as well. Toriyama says a lot of crazy shit, he writes a lot of crazy shit, and a lot of things happen in the anime that just don't make logical sense. I don't think you can treat a statement like that as absolute truth, and I'd say it has no worth in this debate. A debate which is, itself, in my humble opinion, also totally pointless. It's sad and it gets the community absolutely nowhere.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:08 pm

Ziegander wrote:I honestly feel like this just muddies the waters here even more. Why is the word Earthling used all the time rather than Human? Is 18 not an Earthling? She is a cyborg created from a human woman with robotic/cybernetic enhancements manufactured from entirely terrestrial parts and means. Goku isn't an Earthling because he was born on Planet Vegeta? Okay, so, what, that means Gohan's only Half-Earthling? He's Half-Human, certainly, but he's spent his entire life on Earth. :problem: Okay, so Tien's descended from three-eyed aliens. A species that apparently doesn't exist anywhere else in Universe 7 or in the remainder of the multiverse, and even though he's spent his entire life on Earth too, he's "not an Earthling." I just don't understand the qualitative point here, especially when there are many other weird creatures on Dragon Ball's Earth like Korin, Oolong, and Pilaf, all of whom are probably Earthlings ( :crazy: ), but Krillin is the strongest "Earthling," but, what, not necessarily the strongest human? It's really not making sense. The distinction seems to exist for the incredibly and pathetically unnecessary niche of allowing Tien to be placed in a separate category in terms of strength considerations to avoid triggering Tien fans when Krillin fans cling to Word of GodTM that Krillin is the strongest Earthling.

I think it's completely irrelevant at this point. By power scaling, Tien should be stronger than Krillin, but by feats it looks like Krillin is probably stronger, at this point, than Tien (which, I agree, I think is dumb). I love both characters. I am sad to see Tenshinhan so utterly disrespected by Super. I am also sad to see Krillin eliminated so quickly in the Tournament of Power. Let's stop with this meaningless Earthling =/= Human, Tien vs Krillin flame war. Also, I don't know that I've seen anyone here arguing that Krillin is stronger than Tien because "b-but he's the strongest Earthling! Toriyama said so!!" but if they have, then I'd argue that's honestly just as meaningless as well. Toriyama says a lot of crazy shit, he writes a lot of crazy shit, and a lot of things happen in the anime that just don't make logical sense. I don't think you can treat a statement like that as absolute truth, and I'd say it has no worth in this debate. A debate which is, itself, in my humble opinion, also totally pointless. It's sad and it gets the community absolutely nowhere.
The word for human in Japanese is the same word for mortal. Zamasu was calling all species human essentially. Japanese didnt evolve from the same latin alphabet as many languages. So translations or even words can mean different things depending on context. If you go on Toeis website and copy the Japanese text and translate it using bing or some other method. The word for Earthling directly translates to terrestrial human.

17 and 18 have been called human. They give birth to humans. Clearly the title for Krillin is strongest pure human.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:12 pm

It is somewhat weird that throughout Z when we were space travelling and discovering Goku, Gohan and Piccolo's alien genetics we never even touched on Tien's alien genetics. No three eyes amongst Frieza's cronies, No mention from Vegeta or Nappa that Tien was an alien species they knew of, No mention of the three eyed race from either Shin, Elder Kai, Whis or Beerus upon meeting Tenshinhan during the recruitment stage of this arc.

Maybe one of Universe 6's hidden fighters is a triclops/three eyed triber/Tenshinomorph?

That's about the easiest way to introduce the alien genetics side of things of Tien's existence into the story at this pretty late stage of his character arc.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I don't see what this brings to the table. He's stating the same thing that's recycled over and over: that Tenshinhan is descended from aliens, and in a "general view" (whatever that means to him in his original Japanese intent), Kuririn is the "most powerful Earthling".

You don't know what this brings to the table? It brings the new fact that Tenshinhan is not considered an earthling like Krillin, therefore, the argument Kuririn is stronger than Tenshinhan, because, he is the strongest Earthling doesn't count anymore.
No it doesn't. This info isn't new in the slightest, and Tien is still considered an Earthling.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Akyon wrote:It is somewhat weird that throughout Z when we were space travelling and discovering Goku, Gohan and Piccolo's alien genetics we never even touched on Tien's alien genetics. No three eyes amongst Frieza's cronies, No mention from Vegeta or Nappa that Tien was an alien species they knew of, No mention of the three eyed race from either Shin, Elder Kai, Whis or Beerus upon meeting Tenshinhan during the recruitment stage of this arc.

Maybe one of Universe 6's hidden fighters is a triclops/three eyed triber/Tenshinomorph?

That's about the easiest way to introduce the alien genetics side of things of Tien's existence into the story at this pretty late stage of his character arc.
Eh. I just don't think it matters to any extent at this point. It's an interesting piece of trivia, but it is literally meaningless to the lore of the story, the character, the world, and the greater universe.

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Akyon wrote:It is somewhat weird that throughout Z when we were space travelling and discovering Goku, Gohan and Piccolo's alien genetics we never even touched on Tien's alien genetics. No three eyes amongst Frieza's cronies, No mention from Vegeta or Nappa that Tien was an alien species they knew of, No mention of the three eyed race from either Shin, Elder Kai, Whis or Beerus upon meeting Tenshinhan during the recruitment stage of this arc.

I said the same thing somewhere else. That I would lose my shit if one of the U6 shadow guys were a triclops. In any case it would seem Tiens race died out long before Freeza or maybe one of the many races that his family destroyed. Freezas army was pretty unimaginative. A lot of them looked human/sayain. Beerus on the other hand sleeps for Eons. I dont think he keeps track of races. He barley knew anything about Earth. It also seems like all planets in Akiras universe sprout more intelligent race. The Dangerous trio wolves could have easily come from original dragonball Earth. Lol

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Ziegander wrote:

Eh. I just don't think it matters to any extent at this point. It's an interesting piece of trivia, but it is literally meaningless to the lore of the story, the character, the world, and the greater universe.
To be fair if we're seeing random competitors, a triclops could easily be one of the more interesting options for U6's fighters, expanding a little lore on Tenshinhan himself and giving him the best possible narrative reason for the inclusion. Like a lot of people have wondered why Tien hasn't had much focus. If that was to happen, it'd probably be the best thing Tenshinhan fans have recieved from the series since Semi Perfect Cell.
JulianStyles wrote: I said the same thing somewhere else. That I would lose my shit if one of the U6 shadow guys were a triclops. In any case it would seem Tiens race died out long before Freeza or maybe one of the many races that his family destroyed. Freezas army was pretty unimaginative. A lot of them looked human/sayain. Beerus on the other hand sleeps for Eons. I dont think he keeps track of races. He barley knew anything about Earth. It also seems like all planets in Akiras universe sprout more intelligent race. The Dangerous trio wolves could have easily come from original dragonball Earth. Lol
Well that's true about the races, and Beerus IS kind of a bum. I'd expect Elder Kai or Whis to be on top of this however. They seem to be very well informed on the various species even if Shin's kind of ignorant.
Ya know; I actually hope this happens though, it could give Tien something meaningful from a character angle rather than another bunch of random anthromorphic animals to knock out like Krillin got.
Lastly it may put a stop to the 'strongest Earthling' fan wars which is something I can definitely get behind as a fan of both.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:06 pm

I agree it would be interesting, I'm just saying, I don't think it matters to the writers or anything else, and I personally don't expect that to happen. Would be cool, absolutely, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

, and here's Ch.
3!

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Lol How do we know this is show info and not just something he knows from reading a guidebook or something?
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:16 pm

Another thread. Seems Julian had started to bother Toshio on Twitter as well. I was reading some tweets and even a person called him out on it lol. This is yet another excuse for him to talk about nonsense that he keeps talking about minute after minute. Also just reading the tweets, Toshio isn't really sure but the first tweet he mentioned by saying For sure, Toriyama said Kuririn is strongest but time is flowing. Toshio is smart to avoid these questions because one he doesn't know and can only give his personal viewpoints. Two he can only repeat facts and the fact that he repeated was that Toriyama confirmed Kuririn is the strongest of the two. HOWEVER, this may indeed change ("but time is flowing"). Until then though, this is what is true and unless we get more NEW info, it stands.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:34 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:Another thread. Seems Julian had started to bother Toshio on Twitter as well. I was reading some tweets and even a person called him out on it lol. This is yet another excuse for him to talk about nonsense that he keeps talking about minute after minute. Also just reading the tweets, Toshio isn't really sure but the first tweet he mentioned by saying For sure, Toriyama said Kuririn is strongest but time is flowing. Toshio is smart to avoid these questions because one he doesn't know and can only give his personal viewpoints. Two he can only repeat facts and the fact that he repeated was that Toriyama confirmed Kuririn is the strongest of the two. HOWEVER, this may indeed change ("but time is flowing"). Until then though, this is what is true and unless we get more NEW info, it stands.
First I had nothing to do with this. I saw someone mentioned me and I got a kick out of it and mentioned I was famous in another board.

Lastly. Toshio was asked whos stronger. He said ita hard to rank them one or the other. The twitter user forced his Krillin agenda by bringing up the statement. And to be nice Toshio said yea that was said but things change pretty much. Then Toshio was asked about another thing Akira said and whats been stated. And Toshio confirmed Tien is an Alien which allows Krillin to be the strongest Earthling. So yes he only repeated facts!

Animelover5487
Beyond Newbie

Post by Animelover5487 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Yeah, no. I take these writer opinions with a grain of salt, the stuff they have said is directly contradicted by the source material. For example, one of the writers said Roshi was powered up by the witchcraft even though Goku confirmed in the episode that it was all Roshi's power from secret training he's been doing. One of the writers said that Goku turned Super Saiyan Blue against 17 to motivate him, even though Goku flat out stated that he didn't think he would have to use that form.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:42 pm

Animelover5487 wrote:Yeah, no. I take these writer opinions with a grain of salt, the stuff they have said is directly contradicted by the source material. For example, one of the writers said Roshi was powered up by the witchcraft even though Goku confirmed in the episode that it was all Roshi's power from secret training he's been doing. One of the writers said that Goku turned Super Saiyan Blue against 17 to motivate him, even though Goku flat out stated that he didn't think he would have to use that form.
Your statement is a contradiction. The dialog written in episode 89 is a different writer than one for the previous or next episode. So its not source material. Its each writer clashing. A few episodes later went back to not flying. While in 89 that was one of his abilities. So the show is contradicting itself. And the Goku going Blue to test someone was more directed at when Goku went Blue against Krillin not 17.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:27 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:

No it doesn't. This info isn't new in the slightest, and Tien is still considered an Earthling.
Did you read the tweet? He puts Tenshinhan outside of the Earthling category whether you like it or not.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:32 am

Shinda Forever wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:
Did you read the tweet? He puts Tenshinhan outside of the Earthling category whether you like it or not.
No, he says the same thing that was stated in supplemental material years ago.
Toriyama considers Tenshinhan in the Earthling group at the end of the day, whether he or you likes it or not

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:41 am

I didn't know that if someone is 1% alien and 99% human, then it means that they are not humans anymore.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.