Super's added lore that you enjoy?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Super's added lore that you enjoy?

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:07 pm

I'll start:

I for one really like that Whis had direct involvement in Bra's birth, it was cute and on top of that felt very dragon ball to me.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super's added lore that you enjoy?

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:10 pm

I love the god hierarchy and learning more about it is one of the best things in Super if not the best thing, it feels like the best direction for things to go in terms of keeping the mystical elements the series has always had.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Yeah, some content is pretty interesting.

• It adds a little bit more to the Multiverse concept by saying how it works (and is interesting because it's not the same as Marvel's and DC's Multiverses).
• I'd like to comment more about angels and their position in the hierarchy but we know little to nothing about them, just that they stand in a different position than Hakaishins and Sozoshins. Still, what we have so far gets me intrigued.
• A ruler of the Megaverse is always a nice concept. I love to know that there is one above all in Dragon Ball as well.
• Super Dragon Balls/Super Shenlong/Zarama... Same as angels. I'd like to comment more about them but we know too little about them, still, it's something that draws my attention.

Dragon Ball Super has shown the potential to add much more but it clearly is shy. One can totally see that it just can't leave the "safe zone" and adding never-seen-before content or stuff that were only touched upon by Xenoverse/Heroes and the majestic Dragon Ball Online, which is very bad for the series.
Last edited by Grimlock on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:17 pm

The lookout being able to move was really neat, as if that temple in the sky wasn't cool enough already. Piccolo and 17 respecting each other and shaking hands felt like natural progression as well for them.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:20 pm

No it predominantly detracts from it. The best parts of the added lore are from the super manga and Trunks Buu saga was fantastic!

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:22 pm

Huh detracts from what? You mean the lookout moving? What about it moving detracts from it? The temple already hovers to begin with, I saw nothing wrong with it traveling.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:32 pm

The Great Priest being such a cute dork while also being The Strongest Fighter in all of existence :angel:

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:35 pm

I fucking love the Time Rings.

I like the fact we finally got very strong Gods and I also like the fact there are 12 universes.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:36 pm

Xeogran wrote:The Great Priest being such a cute dork while also being The Strongest Fighter in all of existence :angel:
I don't see him as a dork,he looks like the responsible father of the two zeno
TheMikado wrote:No it predominantly detracts from it. The best parts of the added lore are from the super manga and Trunks Buu saga was fantastic!
seconded,I'm glad I have the manga because at least super Saiyan blue is consistent and way more interesting than the anime version
    And I love zeno and the twelve gods idea,is just suck that rou,zeno,the great priest,sidra and gowasu are the only new god character that I enjoy and maybe mojito
    Last edited by The gr on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Mostly active on discord.

Torturephile
    Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Some of the gods of various types, a few fighters of different universes, and a few characters absent for long periods of time making returns.
    From Super episode 113 thread:
    MaskedRider wrote:
    Torturephile wrote:
    hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
    namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
    The fandom in a nutshell.
    The duality of man.

Ki Breaker
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:41 pm

The twelve universes and there being beings Goku's can't even phantom reaching anytime soon, and beings stonger than those beings by a long shot..

I also really like hit, a guy who uses time as his weapon reminds me of kurumi and that's always a good thing
    The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:47 pm

And as the new characters i enjoyed are,zamas,black, hit,botamo,maggeta,the dangerous trio and maybe caulifla,the rest are either boring or forgetabble
      I really liked hit in episode 100 and the side story episode and bota maggetta is such a fun duel and caulifla is fun character despite the issues and the trio are closest thing we get for a character with backstory
      Mostly active on discord.

Xeogran
      I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:05 pm

The gr wrote:I don't see him as a dork,he looks like the responsible father of the two zeno
      Yeah of course he is responsible, but he also likes to have fun around the Zenos instead of being all serious like The Guards. Daishinkan is a chill angel in general.

Lord Beerus
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:11 pm

The concepts of multiple universes, time rings and angels being designated to God's of destruction really tickled my fantasy.

precita
      Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:17 pm

It's hard to believe characters like Beerus and Whis feel like they should have always been there and they've only existed since 2013. It's now hard to think of a time when Beerus and Whis *didn't* exist, and we only had one universe.

The Buu saga feels so completely different to watch now that we know that there are multiple universes, that Beerus exists, and that Kaioshin is only one of dozens of Kai's from other universes. Crazy.

Jinzoningen MULE
      I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:15 pm

I love that gods actually have jobs now.
      Retired.

Marlowe89
      Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:51 pm

Everything about the expanded God hierarchy is fantastic. I'd definitely say that and the whole multiverse concept felt like a natural progression of where the series would go after Goku and co. conquered any threat that could possibly emerge in their own universe at that point, and I think it does an equally great job of making the point that there are still unimaginable yet tangible heights to reach out there for our protagonists.

I'd argue that Super's lore has been better than Z's, to be honest, but all of it's pretty awesome regardless.

Lionel
      I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:17 pm

For all of its shortcomings, I will offer Super my commendation for giving those of us who are starved for alternate Z-fighter participation some much appreciated limelight. I only wish these developments were contextually long term. Several avenues exist that could be used to revitalise their positions. They're predictable but how else would you go about offering them a necessary boost of strength to reassert themselves alongside Goku and Vegeta?

This series has also managed to introduce some really likable characters with a few interesting new abilities. It gives those of us who may not be as inclined as others to advocate for the Saiyans an ensemble of faces to root for and hope more development from.

Chuquita
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:34 pm

There's another saiyan planet! I just wish we'd get to see it.

Gokû Black, Zamasu, Gowasu. Rosé. All the anime only unique attacks he had.

Gokû and Vegeta studying together under Whis, then later spending three years training in the RoSaT. (Again I wish they'd shown more of this.)
      My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
      ---
      フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Akyon
      Regular

Post by Akyon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:46 pm

The manga pretty much redeemed Shin for me as a character with him actually trying to help Trunks against Buu. Previously Shin had been my most hated character in the show but Super has done a bang up job lessening his uselessness with helping to protect Mai and getting involved with Gowasu.

The whole kaioshins in general have taken a few interesting turns with the likes of Zamasu and Roh. We've never truly had bad deities what with even Beerus sort of neutral at worse. I actually am feeling bad for Gowasu in the ToP. Would have thought some of U7 would care a bit about his inevitable death.

Most of all though Super has added some unique abilities to the other universe fighters, and that was hugely appreciated by myself.
      Favourite User quote:
      Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
      1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."