Dragon Ball Super Positivity/Appreciation thread.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Positivity/Appreciation thread.

Post by Saturnine » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:13 am

I can quite honestly say that I like Super. And it's not like I'm forcing myself to, its problems really don't detract much from my enjoyment.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:34 am

Well, Super made me appreciate the original series more. :lol:

Though I did love Black as a character. The mess of an arc itself aside, Black was awesome. He was menacing, SSJ Rosé was totally badass; which was weird because I hated the promo art for it but when it premiered in the show I was blown away.

I also like Beerus and Champas interactions. And whenever they see Zeno they shit themselves lol.

Lastly I like the moments with Baby Pan. Best part about DBS imo

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:02 am

Yomi wrote:Sorry for the double post, but I'm kinda beginning to understand what all those people who complain about the fanbase are talking about.

I mean, it's a simple thread about the pros of Super, and the first 2 responses are toxic/sarcastic for some reason?
Look I think the thread in general is fine, but do we really need to create "Safe Spaces" for a discussion of differences of opinions of Dragonball Super.
There are plenty of negative threads there where people come in and express positive or counter opinions. Why should this thread be immune from those counter opinions found in other threads?

That being said I also don't think people should waltz in here and "sh*t up" the thread either. Let the those who want to bathe in group think and need confirmation from others have their way for at least a little while. I understand its always nice to read multiple opinions of people who already agree with you.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:23 am

TheMikado wrote:
Yomi wrote:Sorry for the double post, but I'm kinda beginning to understand what all those people who complain about the fanbase are talking about.

I mean, it's a simple thread about the pros of Super, and the first 2 responses are toxic/sarcastic for some reason?
Look I think the thread in general is fine, but do we really need to create "Safe Spaces" for a discussion of differences of opinions of Dragonball Super.
There are plenty of negative threads there where people come in and express positive or counter opinions. Why should this thread be immune from those counter opinions found in other threads?

That being said I also don't think people should waltz in here and "sh*t up" the thread either. Let the those who want to bathe in group think and need confirmation from others have their way for at least a little while. I understand its always nice to read multiple opinions of people who already agree with you.
Wow, talk about condescending, "have their way for a little while" what the hell does that even mean? Look what is the point of you commenting if you are NOT going to discuss the thread topic? And as it says this is a positivity and appreciation (which means "recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something") thread therefore any negativity is not welcome here that is the immunity this thread has. Nobody is forcing you to reply to this thread so please take your shtick elsewhere.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:32 am

Doctor. wrote:Black is the best thing to come out of Dragon Ball since... future Trunks?
Many people discredited Black's character the moment they heard that an evil Goku was coming. But that chatter stopped long ago because of how well they executed Black's character coupled with Nozawa's excellent performance as a VA. This is one of Super's big bright spots that I give them credit for.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:46 am

omaro34 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Black is the best thing to come out of Dragon Ball since... future Trunks?
Many people discredited Black's character the moment they heard that an evil Goku was coming. But that chatter stopped long ago because of how well they executed Black's character coupled with Nozawa's excellent performance as a VA. This is one of Super's big bright spots that I give them credit for.
I honestly don't like black that much, don't get what the fuss is all about..
He is a guy who pulls out techniques out of thin air and the longest his beat down lasted was some minutes before he pulled out another powerup out of thin air on the spot...
But since this is an appreciation thread..
I will say something good about black..
The voice acting associated with him is really good!
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
He is a guy who pulls out techniques out of thin air and the longest his beat down lasted was some minutes before he pulled out another powerup out of thin air on the spot...
Black is the only real original villain that Super managed to create. Beerus wasn't a villain, Freeza wasn't created during Super, and everything else in Super has been tournaments.

That alone separates himself from the rest. He was also developed very well when compared to other Dragonball villains, and more importantly, his motives for what he was doing was rather well explained in comparison to other villains:

1) Commander Red from the Red Ribbon Army wanted to get the Dragonballs so he can get taller....talk about a worthless goal. I'm 6"5, there's nothing real special about being tall other than playing basketball and reaching high objects from shelves. Commander Red wanted to look down to his subordinates and was tired of looking up at them. I guess this must have been a gag from Toriyama and he probably thought of it on the fly because he was known to be an improvising writer due to the savage schedule he was on at the time.

2) King Piccolo wanted to take over the world because he simply wanted to and he was the evil half of Kami.

3) Vegeta was just misguided for the most part and had some good in him despite what he has done. Remember, Vegeta's father was killed, his planet destroyed, and was forced to work under Freeza for many years. He obviously had some good in him because he's changed now.

4) Freeza was evil because he simply was. We don't know much about his family outside of King Cold (I don't count Cooler because he appears in the movies). We don't know about Freeza's upbringing and why he became so menacing. He was simply introduced as this powerful being and that was that.

5) Cell was evil because he wanted to be perfect. Out of all the villains thus far, Cell is the only one who's motives are decently explained. Dr Gero created him for perfection and after that what else? After he became perfect, why continue to destroy? Where was the hate stemming from? Androids 17 and 18 from Trunks' timeline simply caused destruction because it was fun.

6) Majin Buu was a child. A fat child. Once he was free from Babidi he was evil because he didn't know any better. Kid Buu was evil because he was just a maniac. No motives for his actions. Just a brainless animal who didn't even speak.

GT's villains are the only ones with real motives, especially Baby. His motives were explained well and actually had a legit backstory. Goku Black is similar to Baby in this fashion. We see Zamasu slowly having his heart have a hatred for mortals gradually. We see the steps which lead to him becoming pure evil, the major sign being when he sliced that dinosaur looking creature in half.

So in conclusion my man, Goku Black gets kudos and praise because his backstory was developed well. We can't say the same for most of Dragonball's previous villains.
Last edited by omaro34 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:10 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
But since this is an appreciation thread..
I will say something good about black..
The voice acting associated with him is really good!
For me it was the subversion of what an evil Goku would be, I was expecting like Schemmel a straight up evil Goku (as he said in an interview Toei wouldn't tell them what Black was like other than evil Goku so Schemmel gave him that gruff voice for Xv2 expecting him to be like that), while he was evil his mannerisms and personality were unique, he never once lost his rag, always stayed cool and nonchalant never panicked or went crazy like Zamasu, just the whole mystery surrounding him too as lot of people probably expected a Black to be a Goku from one of the multi different universes or something. His "Zero Mortals" plan was actually a good plan and within the show made sense with what was presented about him. Nozawa of course just helped elevate everything further.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

Wow, talk about condescending, "have their way for a little while" what the hell does that even mean? Look what is the point of you commenting if you are NOT going to discuss the thread topic? And as it says this is a positivity and appreciation (which means "recognition and enjoyment of the good qualities of someone or something") thread therefore any negativity is not welcome here that is the immunity this thread has. Nobody is forcing you to reply to this thread so please take your shtick elsewhere.
Nothing I said was negative, I merely replied to a question asked by another poster.
Its your thread I would suggest following your own rules.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:27 pm

TheMikado wrote:do we really need to create "Safe Spaces" for a discussion of differences of opinions of Dragonball Super ?
If a topic was about a certain character or subject wouldn't you expect people to stay on topic ? There are 3-4 negative topics about Super, countless episode topics that attack it, comparisons with other parts of the franchise, etc. so why can't this one topic be just about the good that's come out of it ?

I've done countless complaining about Super and will most likely continue to do so in the future so I'm by no means a fanboy defending it but it's nice to also have a place where people (including myself) can put that aside and point out the good aspects of it.
omaro34 wrote:
Not only is Black the best thing to come out of Super, he's one of the best things to come out of the entire franchise. Everyone involved justified Super's existance with that character alone.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:08 pm

I have an absolute blast watching Super every weekend. It's one of the few shows I follow regularly and actually buy merch for. Discussing it...not so much, but that's not on the show.

What I really appreciate are the brisk pacing and episodic structure of the show. So much happens in each episode. Not having to pad out time to keep pace with the manga really works to the show's benefit. Whenever I go back and watch the original cut of Z I find myself skipping around a lot to get past all the filler. It's a real chore to watch and frankly quite boring outside of the big highlight moments.

I also love that the show isn't afraid to expand the universe and add new lore, or to take existing lore and turn it on its head. I also really enjoy the music, especially Caulifla's jazzy theme. It's just a little jarring to hear some of the same tunes pop up in Kai! :lol:

snpaa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by snpaa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:24 pm

I appreciate super for allowing me to realize that GT was not the worst sequel in the dragon ball franchise.
Last edited by snpaa on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:44 pm

sintzu wrote:
TheMikado wrote:do we really need to create "Safe Spaces" for a discussion of differences of opinions of Dragonball Super ?
If a topic was about a certain character or subject wouldn't you expect people to stay on topic ? There are 3-4 negative topics about Super, countless episode topics that attack it, comparisons with other parts of the franchise, etc. so why can't this one topic be just about the good that's come out of it ?

I've done countless complaining about Super and will most likely continue to do so in the future so I'm by no means a fanboy defending it but it's nice to also have a place where people (including myself) can put that aside and point out the good aspects of it.
Oh no, I definitely think this is needed and necessary, but we don't need it to be common trend where thread get created where opposing views aren't welcome. I think the thread is fine, I just don't think we should make a habit of this type of thing nor should it be actively policed for anything that even sounds like a detraction. I actually like the thread, we just want to make sure we don't go full on facist in defending the intent of the thread that's all.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Zamasu/Goku Black is the best villain the franchise has produced and the show has provided some of the best animation in the franchise.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Things I love:

Unique abilities; Botamo, Magetta, Hit, Bergamo, Black...something I've desired in Dragonball for ages. Less generic laser beams and saiyan transformations, more creativity thank you.

The fillers are easily some of the best in the series, and it really shows how fun the Dragon Cast is that they can carry an episode without needing to fight a massive overpowered opponent ALL the time.

Improved Shin as a character overall. Before I was wondering why this smug git didn't bother stopping Frieza if he could fell him in one blow. Turns out it's because it's technically Beerus' job, and Beerus was using him briefly as a lacky to do his work so he didn't have to.

Krillin, Gohan and Yamcha get filler episodes dedicated to them. I can't remember too much of that in Z honestly. That baseball episode still ranks very highly for me.

Bringing back the human fighting cast; Krillin, Tien and Roshi at least. Would prefer Yamcha to come back as a BIT of a fighter but that's a pipedream for now. I'm just impressed the other trio were allowed to compete in the ToP. Best decision to date, even if Krillin went out first he still got to look cool for an episode. That's all I want.

Black and Frieza returning(ToP, not RoF) sound like AWFUL ideas on paper, but both villains are done so well it's amazing how a recolour of the main character and a seemingly overly recycled dead villain managed to capture the hearts of so many Dragonball fans.

Zamasu. I actually REALLY liked Zamasu in general. Not even just Black. I do wish we'd spent a bit more time watching Zamasu's descent into villainy and see him accept Black a little slower than he did but what we got(an immortal god complex villain obsessed with beauty and impervious to any injury) was really great. Also ki blades are just cool.

Jaco, Beerus and Whis are characters I honestly can't imagine Dragonball without now.

They managed to make me somehow care about Universe 9 before they got erased. The Trio De Dangers are kind of smug and arrogant jerks(with the possible exception of Bergamo) but watching Basil and Lavanda put some good showings in both in the ToP and in their prelim matches, and Bergamo calling Goku out on his selfishness was amazing. I've never rooted for Goku's opposition so hard in my life. RIP you beautiful puppers.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:13 pm

lol :D I love how this thread has quickly become a kind of "coming out" therapy group for people willing to admit that they like Super.

So I guess I'll say it too...I really like Dragon Ball Super. Sure it's flawed, but it's my third favorite DB series, and is surely entertaining, nonetheless.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:16 pm

The sheer level of insane arrogance some people have... not being content with pissing and moaning every single week with their badly articulated opinions about why the show sucks (but don't explain why they watch it every week and feel compelled to tell others), they actually come into a thread that was specifically created for people who don't want to be exposed to those constant "downer-drug dispensers" of human beings and continue to bang on with their self indulgent whining diatribes about power scaling.

I like Super a lot, it could be a lot better but so could most good things.

I like the God of Destruction and Angels coming along and putting Goku and Co. back into line. Goku worked best in early DB because he had a hunger to improve himself and new it was a big world out there with people stronger than him (like Chun).

I don't like SSGod only because it doesn't make sense that the universe would have this random race be able to do that, what's the cosmic purpose? Why does that mechanism exist.... But none the less I really liked the design of God.

Blue didn't look as cool, but the aura is nice. I like the idea of training under an Angel granting something unique.

I like Gowasu, the silly throw away god tube jokes made him adorable and the fanbase ran with it.

I liked Black and Zamasu, a crazy fallen god turned, like, racist nihilist or whatever was cool and original. That U12 timeline seems interesting too...
Not 100% sold on the Super DB's but I like that they can do things like steal a strong persons body. The DB's had been useless for anything 'cept damage control since Shenlong said he couldn't kill Nappa and 'geets.

The TOP is awesome, great to have a tournament AND have some stakes, interesting rule set (gravity of your home planet, no flying) should allow for more skill. The gravity nerf and no kill rule should be a bit of an equaliser for weaker characters. I'm genuinely worried for the fate of Gowasu and to a lesser extent U6! It's an interesting and unique, in DB so far, idea to make you feel a bit hesitant to root for U7!

I like that they have bought back said weaker characters. I feel like Piccolo has got more screentime throughout super than he did in the Buu arc, chilling with Pan/Goku/Gohan.

It allowed for Xenoverse to have some new content, I like how they did the U6 Arc.

Overall I enjoy it a lot and anxiously await each new episode to see how the Dragon Team is doing in the face of Annihilation.

I did hate Freeza coming back but I really like how he's written in the TOP Arc which makes the ROF arc retroactively less bad, because it now has a purpose/consequence.
Other than Roshi coming back, I can forgive all the stuff I don't like. On balance I'm glad it exists.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:36 pm

Please do not submit incorrectly-categorized post reports. We're happy to investigate real reports, but if you make false ones, you're going to risk having a strike issued back against you for time wasted.

Obviously if you're coming into this thread with the sole intention of shitting things up, you have some issues to work out and probably aren't going to fit in as a community member. That being said, if someone wants to bring up faults through the natural course of otherwise-on-topic conversation, that's also totally fine. Threads should be as on-topic as possible, but also shouldn't be so single-tracked as to exclude relevant discussion points out there on the fringes.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:16 pm

I would watch an entire series of nothing but peacetime, slice of life episodes, or character interaction eps. That's how good Super's downtime episodes are.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:21 pm

precita wrote:I would watch an entire series of nothing but peacetime, slice of life episodes, or character interaction eps. That's how good Super's downtime episodes are.
I hope in future the down time episodes are as long as they were between the Black and U.S arc. It really does have the catch your breath type feeling and makes the world feel more fleshed out instead of jumping arc to arc. I also love how they are starting to do mini two parters too. Between these episodes and the bridging movie ones Toei really have knocked them out the park.