Dragon Ball Super Positivity/Appreciation thread.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Dragon Ball Super Positivity/Appreciation thread.

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:42 pm

A thread I have been long in the process of making and finally decided to make it now given the #100 drop, and popping into the episode thread to see the usual bickering about muh power levels yada yada. Basically I want to create a haven here for fans who want to have legitimate discussions within a positive atmosphere because this sub forum is chalk full of negativity, to the point I actually recommend people to not join Kanzenshuu to discuss DBS and that is something I never thought I would ever do!
For example a while after the Trunks arc ended, there was a thread where Ikari was discussed and it was a genuine discussion with nice atmosphere and none of the garbled bickering about “it’s an asspull” yada etc, that is what I expected a weekly discussion to be like but I guess the Resurrection “F” movie thread was a warning…

I just think people’s conditioning has changed in terms of what they expect from anime, the series feels like an actual continuation in terms of writing etc, trust me re-watching the Buu arc there is so much there that if it were DBS fans would rage way hard over, but it was Z so it naturally gets grandfathered.

Anyway as a series DBS is so much fun, if I am being honest I haven’t had this much fun since watching OG DB, and watching DB what was what truly made me love the franchise even more, Z is great and all but it isn’t fun, OG DB was like completely different series. I love how DBS is more in roots with that feeling, especially the off season comedy episodes, Dragon Ball at its best in my opinion.

World Building.
The world and universe building in DBS has been wonderful, we got info on “twin universes” and then introduced to the wonderful fat twin of Beerus and their bickering is so fun to see. We got to see Saiyan’s from a different perspective, while Frost ended up being a dud we did get see a lot of unique fighters and some really Toriyama stuff like Metalman’s weakness. Then of course, Zen-Oh. So Toriyama I love it! :lol: he is so cute and scary.

Then the Black arc we got a lot more world building and actually visited another universe this time U10 and of course learn that of a prodigy fighter Kaioshin, and then further through the arc we are introduced to Whis’ father who is the grand priest no less and then we find out Whis is an “Angel”, just so much lore dropped. And of course Destroyer’s linked with Kaioshin.

Then the current U.S arc and seeing all the different universes and what they are all about.

New Saiyan forms
What I absolutely love about modern DB and in particular DBS are the new SS forms introduced. Starting with Super Saiyan God:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Making the gi lighter and adding a white trim to the boots as well as slimming down Goku aswell as the choice of the hair colour and raising one of the bangs and getting rid of the loose strands. This form really pops. I also like how in the anime it isn't treated as a normal form and more of a bridge into the real that will be SSGSS speaking of:

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan:
Album link to all SSGSS shots collected:
http://imgur.com/a/DtsTf
http://imgur.com/a/js3oU
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Blue is my favourite colour, especially the lighter cyan type so naturally as soon as I saw SSGSS on the big screen I fell in love with it, looked so good, unlike SSG I liked it with and without aura. The Aura especially looked fantastic. And then Toriyama going all out and giving Vegeta and Goku new gi's, granted they have reverted back I have gotten used to it but I do miss those.

SSGSSKK:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
What a brilliant idea, SSGSS giving Goku perfect Ki control and he is able to stack KK on top, Goku is a fighting genius afterall!!!

Super Saiyan Rosé:
http://imgur.com/a/GNLLs
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
So Toriyama and you can tell he has having so much fun here, the pink offsets really well and the aura less grey eyes are really striking!! The aura itself is really great too, just looks terrific.

Ikari:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Just the way Trunks got this, was too epic and was reminiscent of the transformation of SS1 Goku and SS2 Gohan.

Now on to the main series in general.

Well the bridging episodes between movies were great, especially the Resurrection "F" ones, seeing Goku being impatient while working and seeing Vegeta attempt to cook are in particular highlights. Really sets the vibe for the series well. Like I said prior it is so fun and enjoyable seeing the characters in everyday situations. The post U6 and post Trunks arc episodes were similarly highlights too especially the Goku losing Ki and looking after Pan episodes and then of course the Dr Slump crossover and baseball episodes, just soooo much fun! We don't need arc after arc after arc, downtime is what is needed!!

The Trunks arc is where Super begun to turn head for me, we had a wonderful over-arcing mystery, a very unique set of villains and maybe just my favourite arc period in all of DB, it had a brilliant ending for once the bad guy won and it took a literal erasure of a universe to stop!

The current arc is nothing short of great, right from the onset it was intriguing and not what I expected and it has been impressing me ever since, from all the world building to the new characters introduced to the stakes to the teases about the Angels and Grand Priest and of course the good consistent look the show has maintained. Brilliant stuff.

Animation
Yes Super has been up and down in this department but thanks to Natoshi Shida we are getting some truly breathtaking stuff and even in general not counting his stuff there are some good sakuga in Super and there is a plethora of wonderful art, but sadly people tend to stay fixated when things don't look good.

Music
Similar to animation it has it's ups and downs but when Sumitomo is on point he is on point, the comedy stuff isn't his strong point but the serious and the godly stuff definitely is, take the SSG ritual the SSGSS theme and of course his Black arc, Zamasu theme in particular is really good. I love the jazz musicy vibe he has on going for the current arc.

Voice acting:
Both the JPN and FUNimation ENG dub are terrific, Nozawa killed in the the Trunks arc and dub wise Schemmel is absolutely killing it as Goku, he is matching Nozawa so perfectly, just looks at this NEP.

Characterisation:
Okay, so I love the characterisation of Goku in Super it is an extension of his moronic portrayal in the Buu arc and Goku is just more entertaining being like this so much better than a hurr durr I am Superman, sooo much more interesting like Goku's nonchalance is what is making this arc so interesting to me, and Goku in Super spends a lot of time with family, he is shown constantly eating with them and doing chores and working to provide, bad family man my behind. Goku doesn't need Chichi's permission to train but he requests and listens to he anyway. Respect.

Vegeta being geared more towards fighting out of necessity I also find interesting, at the start of DBS he is all fretting about Goku training but come the U.S arc he is far from that and is worried about the birth of his beloved child. I am finding Vegeta a more enjoyable character in Super than I ever have, just the situations he has been put in it is again fun and entertaining.

Rest of the characters are fine don't really have any problems with.

Merchandise:
So far the merchandising has been great and a grave step up over Kai, boy Kai was a doozy, no wonder it did so badly. And pleased to know Super is also doing well in this department too!

Also Super is giving us past answers to previous unknown things such as the Portara and why Vegetto initially defused and how Regular SS works with the concentration of Ki on one's back.

Man, for a show I think is just average (on the whole) there is sure a lot that I like and love about it, huh.
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super Positivity/Appreciation thread.

Post by precita » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Super is great. I love Super. I love Goku and friends. I love U6 characters. I love Zamasu and Goku Black.

I love Beerus and Whis. I love them all. Animation is great. Stories are great. Everything is great. Toriyama is great. Fantastic. Superb. Stupendous.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:27 pm

I wonder if this is how religions start, brainwashing and all.

The only positive thing I can think of out of this trainwreck of a show is Goku and Frieza's "my hand slipped" interaction. A speckle of luminous gold within a heap of shit. One of my favorite moments between the two.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:30 pm

precita wrote:Super is great. I love Super. I love Goku and friends. I love U6 characters. I love Zamasu and Goku Black.

I love Beerus and Whis. I love them all. Animation is great. Stories are great. Everything is great. Toriyama is great. Fantastic. Superb. Stupendous.
Boomdeyada Boomdeyada Boomdeyada Boomdeyada
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:31 pm

PeanutSaiyan wrote:brainwashing and all.
I don't think you know what that word means

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:30 pm

Feels like this thread is just gonna trigger people and bait more hate.

There are several things I like about super, but the list is too long, and I am too lazy.

Zamasu/Black are beautiful ... very beautiful.

I'd have to say it's the first time in a long time Dragon Ball has had interesting character powers.

Everytime I see someone new I have to think "what's this guy's fighting style? what's his gimick"
instead of "what's his power level? that's all that matters?!"
Kanassa wrote:
PeanutSaiyan wrote:brainwashing and all.
I don't think you know what that word means
Listing the positives of Super is brain washing, and cult behavior?
I just don't get the thought process of some people.
:clap:

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:34 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I'm kinda beginning to understand what all those people who complain about the fanbase are talking about.

I mean, it's a simple thread about the pros of Super, and the first 2 responses are toxic/sarcastic for some reason?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:37 pm

As much as I've complained about Super, there's so much I also like about it.

I loved Ssj Goku's fight with Beerus.

I think the changes they made to RF's story was a lot better than the movie.

I liked almost everything about the Champa arc, especially Goku's fight with Hit.

Although I prefer the manga version of Black's arc, I still think the anime did a really good job with it, easily its best arc.

The current torunament overall has been really good and I expect it to continue to be so.

Most of the new characters have been great.

Everything about the world bulding is also really good.

Overall, I think Super has a very bright future ahead of it and I can't wait to see where it goes next. Sure it's falwed and will most likely continue to be so but as a DB fan, I couldn't be happier with the direction they're going in and if they can surpass 200 episodes like what Nozawa wants then we're in for an amazing ride. We know Toriyama ended the original manga because of his health and personal life so it's great to see him continue on his own terms and it'll be even better to see him end it the way he wants.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:43 pm

Yomi wrote:Sorry for the double post, but I'm kinda beginning to understand what all those people who complain about the fanbase are talking about.

I mean, it's a simple thread about the pros of Super, and the first 2 responses are toxic/sarcastic for some reason?
I dunno, the first response really makes me want somebody to make a 'The World is Just Awesome' parody...

Kanassa wrote:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:47 pm

Yomi wrote:It's a simple thread about the pros of Super, and the first 2 responses are toxic/sarcastic for some reason?
As unfortunate as it is, this will most likely turn into a big mess. All it takes is one post to flip the whole topic upside down.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:10 am

I'm not good at being very specific, but here I go.

Dragon Ball Super. Been a fun entry into Dragonball to follow.

New lore is always fun. The god hierarchy is fucking nuts! Keeps me guessing how it's all going to play out. SSJ Blue is something I didn't think I'd like. The first time I heard blue hair my first reaction was "oh my god, are they really going this route?" But I really enjoy the blue. I don't know why myself, Blue isn't even one of my favorite colors, I just think it looks good. Don't even get me started on Rose`.

I love a bunch of the new characters. Especially if they're are more than just a powerful martial artist. Even characters I don't particularly care for like Botamo, have really cool abilities. Goku Black and Zamasu are the hilariously hammy villains I love to love. My god. I want statues of these two fools in my house. Hell it's even good to see older characters in action again. And the Voice actors kill it.

Speaking of which, Super has made me watch it in Japanese for the longest time, which is something I usually avoided due to the jarring difference in the voices. Not only have I gotten used to it, I have grown to love the Japanese voice actors. Now when even I read a manga or the like, I will sometimes imagine those voices without even thinking about it.

I also appreciate the simple designs. I know Dragonball has always had simple designs, I just like that it's stayed that way. I like simple designs. Easy to process and draw.

When the fights get good, they get really good. Not even just by Shida either. Tate, Higashide, and all the other monsters who dedicate their time and effort to make these fights a treat to watch.

Following Super has made me learn more about not only Dragonball's but just the anime industry in general, and what goes into making all this stuff happen. Ajay keeping a thread for this kind of thing has also been a huge help in this regard.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:56 am

sintzu wrote:
Yomi wrote:It's a simple thread about the pros of Super, and the first 2 responses are toxic/sarcastic for some reason?
As unfortunate as it is, this will most likely turn into a big mess. All it takes is one post to flip the whole topic upside down.
Yea, I realized that a bit too late. I don't plan on responding to anything thing that would cause an argument though. :?

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:18 am

I've got my issues with the series that would take too long to get through, but I could easily say the same for the positives. I'll just say it's overall kept me entertained despite it's questionable writing a lot of the time. I still find myself enjoying this saga quite a bit (favorite saga in Super currently).

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:20 am

Despite the issues in the beginning, Super has become great. Champa arc, Future Trunks arc and TOP arc have all been great in their own way. The slice of life episodes have been fun and give some characters spotlight that haven't been relevant in a while.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:22 am

Dragon Ball Super is terrib--AH! What is this?! This positive energy that circulates this thread. This cannot be! *vaporized*
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:00 am

Well I like Beerus and Wh-..oh wait Beerus and Whis came from a DBZ movie never mind.

But I do appreciate the ironic enjoyment I get out of Super, by tearing it apart.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:00 am

Black is the best thing to come out of Dragon Ball since... future Trunks?

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:05 am

Thanks for creating this thread, it would be nice to have a nice discussion instead of the annoying negativity I see in other threads. The fandom has basically become like the Star Wars fandom, which is just toxic and should be avoided by anyone looking to get into that series.
I absolutely love Super, for me it was the sequel that I always wanted after comepelting the series back in what must of been 2005 when I was 12.
I really do appreciate how much better and more consistent the animation and fight seems have gotten since the universe 6 arc.
Zamasu and Black are in my opinion two of the best villains to come out of the series.
One thing that hasn't really been discussed that much but what I think in some ways elevates Super to a higher degree than Z is the voice acting in the Future Trunks arc. There are so many noteworthy performances, it really made the arc for me.
I must be one of the few people who thinks that the Trunks spirit sword scene was amazing, it really did feel the climax of the the arc and it went above what J expected. And the ending was really smart, I would never expected a Dragonball series to have a sad ending to an arc but I think it really works and emphasisized a something that we take for granted in the Dragonball Universe, don't mess with time.
I really love the Universe 6 fighters Cabba, Kale and Caulifla are all great characters and the latest episode really did a good job at showing us what a caring character Caulifla is despite her rough exterior.
I really like the designs for all the Universe fighters, I can't wait to see what they do with Rabbrianne and the other 2 female fighters.
Also another thing that Super does far better than Z are the standalone slice of life episodes, its something that Z was really missing and Super does a really great job at showing he characters living normal lives, with wacky hijinks of course which is something you would expect from a series created by Akira Toriyama

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:47 am

Super gave me the super managa version of the story which I adore..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker