Super Saiyan Rage & Why It Works

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MaskedRider
Banned

Super Saiyan Rage & Why It Works

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 pm

I'll be honest, it took me awhile to realize this and having it have to take this long may ultimately make it poor writing but my realization had made me have a greater appreciation toward Ikari and I want to share my opinion on why Trunks achieving this form makes sense. I find Ikari to be the form that allows Trunks to use the third grade Super Saiyan state minus the disadvantages. I still see the comments saying how it was pulled out of his ass, a cheap power up, etc but it perfectly aligns with already established scenarios; this isn't the first time Trunks had the help of anger to transform, in Dragon Ball Z episode #162 Trunk transforms into the third grade state after watching Cell beat Vegeta down. The transformation is similar for both of these in that it makes Trunks lose his pupils.

[spoiler]Image Image[/spoiler]

Not to mention that each time he transforms into Ikari his muscles become bigger and then compress themselves.

First time transforming
[spoiler]Image Image[/spoiler]

Fight against Black & Zamasu
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Before using the Galick Gun
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Heck, him even putting his arms up like that is similar to this.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I think this had more a lot to do with show and don't tell. Thoughts? Sorry if this was already discussed in such a way before, I didn't see anything when looking.

superfan2024
Regular

Re: Super Saiyan Ikari & Why It Works

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:00 pm

This is actually a cool theory, but the problem is, we actually have no idea what the hell this form actually is because it was never explained in the series other than just being a form of anger, which is pretty useless because SSJ forms are generally supposed to occur from anger. We still don't know what the blue aura is also, but I think Toei just put that to make Trunks look more "cool" for the viewers.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Basically, I see it as one of Super Saiyan 2's grades.

The Cell Saga Gohan one is Grade 1; the manga Trunks vs. SS3 Goku in the Zamasu arc is Grade 2; 'My Bulma' Vegeta is Grade 3; Super Saiyan Rage is Grade 4.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:55 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote:Basically, I see it as one of Super Saiyan 2's grades.

The Cell Saga Gohan one is Grade 1; the manga Trunks vs. SS3 Goku in the Zamasu arc is Grade 2; 'My Bulma' Vegeta is Grade 3; Super Saiyan Rage is Grade 4.
Yeah but this is also stupid because these are all completely guesses. I know the SSJ1 forms had different stages too but they were clear and distinct. For example, what exactly is the 'my bulma' stage? Can Goku and Gohan also transform into the 'my bulma' stage? what exactly is that? how is it differentiated looks wise? thats what I dont get. its made up by fans to justify the power levels which is kind of useless cause Super power scaling has been BS for the whole series

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:42 pm

gofishus wrote:

Yeah but this is also stupid because these are all completely guesses. I know the SSJ1 forms had different stages too but they were clear and distinct. For example, what exactly is the 'my bulma' stage? Can Goku and Gohan also transform into the 'my bulma' stage? what exactly is that? how is it differentiated looks wise? thats what I dont get. its made up by fans to justify the power levels which is kind of useless cause Super power scaling has been BS for the whole series
I totally hear what you are saying, and I respect your opinion. The random power-ups from nowhere are annoying, fucked up, and stupid. I had this thought because it was the most coherent idea I could think of.

SS1 has four grades, but the big leap is to SS2. SS3 could be classified as a failed form that tried to exert more power without utilizing the natural anger of a Super Saiyan. SS2 Grade 2 (Manga Trunks) could be the proper way to utilize this power, since it and SS3 are equal. SS3 may have been a wrong turn and SS2 Grade 2 fixes that. SS2 Grade 3 (My Bulma) taps into more power by becoming furious and drawing on the essence of Super Saiyan. SS2 Grade 4 (SSRage) could be the final step -- the most powerful yellow-haired form, and a push past the furiousness of Grade 3 into rage.

Also, considering Vegeta says in Ep. 100 that SSBerserker might be the true form of a Saiyan, these yellow forms could be falsehoods and SSRage is the incomplete version of SSBerserker. They are very similar visually after all. Hell, the blue and yellow from SSRage could be the precursor to the green aura. Again, this is just my random musing.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Re: Super Saiyan Rage & Why It Works

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:29 pm

Question: this is all head canon right ?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:36 pm

I always saw Super Saiyan Rage as being the true successor to SSJ2, with the SSJ3 that Goku and Gotenks use being some sort of imperfect mutation.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:39 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I always saw Super Saiyan Rage as being the true successor to SSJ2, with the SSJ3 that Goku and Gotenks use being some sort of imperfect mutation.
Yep, you and I are in agreement. My post above explains my thoughts on it. I am curious as to what you think. :)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:47 pm

ChiefWamsutta wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I always saw Super Saiyan Rage as being the true successor to SSJ2, with the SSJ3 that Goku and Gotenks use being some sort of imperfect mutation.
Yep, you and I are in agreement. My post above explains my thoughts on it. I am curious as to what you think. :)
Makes sense.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:51 pm

I've always seen it as basically a Gohan/Vegeta rage boost that mutated into a transformation.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:43 pm

The lack of an actual explanation, both in the anime and the manga (actually is lack of presence in the manga) is really jarring. The dual aura and the fact that he can now stand up to the beings that were wiping the floor with Blue just episodes prior

I'm willing to make the same argument for Kale's "Berserk" form. Just some sort of explanation would be fantastic.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:49 pm

I kind of like your idea but SSJ Grade 3 has long since been outdated power wise. On looks alone you would have to assume this is some sort of grade 3 crossed with half god ki and that alone is confusing enough for me to dismiss the form. It makes no sense I think the fandom is just going to have to accept that and the Future Trunks arc will just always have a reputation of having one of the worst endings for an arc in the series.

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:08 pm

I'd have way more of a problem with it if Vegeta hadn't achieved SSB (Super Saiyan Bulma) and if Trunks' SSJ2 wasn't already established to be amazing as shown vs. Goku's SSJ3.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:I'd have way more of a problem with it if Vegeta hadn't achieved SSB (Super Saiyan Bulma) and if Trunks' SSJ2 wasn't already established to be amazing as shown vs. Goku's SSJ3.
That's kinda why I thought up my idea a few posts above. You know?

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:10 pm

MKCSTEALTH wrote:The lack of an actual explanation, both in the anime and the manga (actually is lack of presence in the manga) is really jarring. The dual aura and the fact that he can now stand up to the beings that were wiping the floor with Blue just episodes prior

I'm willing to make the same argument for Kale's "Berserk" form. Just some sort of explanation would be fantastic.
I honestly question if Kale will even be in the manga, I honest to god see Toyotaro using Broly himself as he is a big fan of him. I've noticed that anything with double auras he will exclude from the manga. (Blue Kaioken and Ikari) It makes me think it was originally a Toei idea but we can't be sure of that either. The whole point of Ikari became pointless after the Zen-Oh button came into play.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:32 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote:
gofishus wrote:

I totally hear what you are saying, and I respect your opinion. The random power-ups from nowhere are annoying, fucked up, and stupid. I had this thought because it was the most coherent idea I could think of.

SS1 has four grades, but the big leap is to SS2. SS3 could be classified as a failed form that tried to exert more power without utilizing the natural anger of a Super Saiyan. SS2 Grade 2 (Manga Trunks) could be the proper way to utilize this power, since it and SS3 are equal. SS3 may have been a wrong turn and SS2 Grade 2 fixes that. SS2 Grade 3 (My Bulma) taps into more power by becoming furious and drawing on the essence of Super Saiyan. SS2 Grade 4 (SSRage) could be the final step -- the most powerful yellow-haired form, and a push past the furiousness of Grade 3 into rage.

Also, considering Vegeta says in Ep. 100 that SSBerserker might be the true form of a Saiyan, these yellow forms could be falsehoods and SSRage is the incomplete version of SSBerserker. They are very similar visually after all. Hell, the blue and yellow from SSRage could be the precursor to the green aura. Again, this is just my random musing.
While I don't agree with all your talk of grades within SSJ2 (I just think each of those characters is simply more powerful in their base form at those times and thus are more powerful in those forms), the blue and yellow mixing to make the legendary ssj is an awesome theory. Come on Vegeta or Goku say something!

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:24 am

PeanutSaiyan wrote:Question: this is all head canon right ?
Everything in this thread is. I'm not even sure the writers themselves know what it's supposed to be beyond the basic concept of it being some new Super Saiyan form/variant achieved by a lot of rage.

Hell, DB Heroes was the only thing that actually called it "Super Saiyan Rage" -- other materials like Dokkan Battle and the concept art notes simply referred to it as Super Saiyan or Super Trunks.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 am

Toei wanted Trunks more involved in the fights than what Toriyama's story was telling. Until there, everything fine and legit. The problem was how to make him SSB / Rose level, without actually giving him the god transformations. This is what they did, classic rage boost, some fireworks and solved. It's a new transformation and it is not at the same time, it's really ambiguous, but it is in SSB level.
Heno heno kappa!

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Well, in my headcanon, since this form resembles a lot Vegeta's form against Beerus, I think it's about the same save for the blue glow; the difference for me is because future Trunks's as ("mastered") SSj2 is stronger than Vegeta in his regular SSj2, so when turning into the same form he gets much stronger. The other possibility I'm thinking is that it could be some sort of "raw" or "fake" super saiyan blue, considering Trunks trained with Vegeta a bit. Either way, I'm forced to agree it's a form that makes no sense.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:12 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
PeanutSaiyan wrote:Question: this is all head canon right ?
Everything in this thread is. I'm not even sure the writers themselves know what it's supposed to be beyond the basic concept of it being some new Super Saiyan form/variant achieved by a lot of rage.

Hell, DB Heroes was the only thing that actually called it "Super Saiyan Rage" -- other materials like Dokkan Battle and the concept art notes simply referred to it as Super Saiyan or Super Trunks.
This... TOEI went to far with this form tying to make Trunks look cool without thinking about a proper concept or explanation. We won't ever get one and as you said... The materials try to ignore the fact that it is a special form...

Even Heroes website is calling it just Super Saiyan again as it seems