Why Do You Keep Watching Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Why Do You Keep Watching Super?

Post by MegaBossMan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:53 am

Alright, alright I understand that at first glance that title sounds really condescending, but I promise that this isn't that type of thread

As Dragon Ball Super has continued to progress and develop, I've seen a tremendous amount of talk about people dropping Super entirely and I'm well-aware of some of the vehement dislike and negativity that this sequel series has gotten. Yet, as with anything else, there are fans who are willing to rally behind Super and enjoy tuning in every week. On the other hand, some of the more critical fans of Super also appear to contribute and watch every new episode as well, either out of ironic enjoyment or just to see what kooky mistakes Super can continue to make. However, i understand that I'm being rather general and vague in this reasoning, and at the same time there are also even more reasons I haven't managed to discover yet. That's why I formed this thread, I'm really interested in what's keeping people invested in this show, whether negative or positive, but of course it's imperative to keep discussion civil.

A rather short write-up, but this thread was moreso formed with the idea of gathering opinions and thoughts rather than bringing up an actual point so I assumed that would be approriate. Regardless, the question from the title still stands; What is it about Super that makes you continue to tune in?

(Yes I know I'm neglecting the manga version, but frankly I don't know if it's as polarized: people who dislike it don't seem to actually keep reading it)
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Re: Why Do You Keep Watching Super?

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:01 am

I find myself often taking a break for like 10 episodes, and binge watching them later. Somehow I get more involved in the story that way and don't pay too much attention to pacing problems and weird art.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:23 am

Following super, specifically, following super's activities not the show itself is educational..
Animation, staff, behind the scenes, advertisement strategies, budget, possibly unavoidable problems with the business, social reaction statistics etc..
I follow super for the inputs I receive from on an ongoing show such as itself, one who's "not show related" information is actually sought out and readily accessible..

And while I am at it, I also watch the show itself, should have some kind of knowledge myself before I go on deciding about which writing style works the best and other relevant data..

Super's not bad, and I definitely enjoy the manga a lot, but it dosen't hold a candle to many other shows I watched along the years, if I had to put a marker on why I continue with it every week, this will be it..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

sunkensheep

Post by sunkensheep » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:41 am

I religiously wait every Sunday to watch it because I genuinely enjoy it. I am aware that it has many flaws, which in most cases can be summarized in "badly executed good ideas", but I still believe that the positive aspects surpass the bad things. I am grateful that I can enjoy an extended view on the dragon ball world and I think that the extended lore is a good addition to the original work. And most important, I think I enjoy it this much because I don't care about power levels: It's something that has been dropped after the Frieza's saga and it has been stated that the Z warriors are able to control it and thus they can control how much power they put in ki blasts, so it makes sense to me that Kuririn can resist for a while to Goku Ssb's Kamehameha, for example.
Same goes for the many plot holes: You can find a way to justify them in most cases.
The only thing that bothers me is blatant bad writing (e. g. Buu's convenient sleeping disorder and Goten and Trunks becoming background characters because the writers clearly don't know what to do them), but I have high tolerance for that and as for now they managed to partially redeem some poorly treated characters (e.g. Gohan and, I hope, Piccolo and Tenshinhan).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:14 am

Gokû and Vegeta. It's a boring answer, I know, but that's it.

I do admit they were doing their best to make Vegeta a dull cardboard cut-out this arc, and that left me disappointed, but Gokû's still really interesting to watch and it's him that's keeping me coming back despite having little love for this arc so far.

If they retire them both, or retire Vegeta and push Gokû into the teacher role, then I stop watching.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:29 am

It's my favorite franchise and overall I like what they've done with Super. There's a lot of things I complained about over the last 2 years but nothing has been so major that I've thought about completely dropping it (I skip most of the in-between arc episodes).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:30 am

Hoping it will get better, but with 100 episode in and still not getting better, you come to realize it will never get better.

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:33 am

Because I like it and there is not much wrong with it.

In fact it is FREAKING AWESOME!

DID YOU SEE KALE TANK THAT GOD KAMEHAMEHA FIRED BY SUPER SAIYAN BLUE GOKU? HER POWER LEVEL MUST BE slightly over 9000. (or maybe 900,000,000,000)

It's seriously moments like that that make me keep watching this show. I am hyped for what might come after, and each new episode is some serious hype. A few episodes do let me down here and there, but honestly that hasn't happened very often lately.

In fact, when Universe 9 was erased, I truly felt a pang of horror. Dragon Ball is a series where death is inconsequential - if someone dies, oh well, they'll come back with the Dragon Balls later on. It has even become a running gag with King Kai still being 'dead' and Goku keep forgetting to wish that halo off the top of his head. But when Universe 9 was erased, I already felt attachment to some of those characters. The Trio de Dangers were a unique fighting force. I had a soft spot for that cute gargoyle and the purple cat lady. Even Sidra, that ginger Gimli, was an interesting character. A God of Destruction that is uncertain about destroying things? Then all at once, all of those characters were erased. They didn't go to an after life. It is uncertain if it is even possible to reverse that kind of elimination, even with a wish to the Super Dragon Balls. This is possibly the <s>first time</s> second time we are seeing characters who are not necessarily evil get killed off permanently (Future Trunks' universe being the first).

There will be moments like this in the future. Universe 3 has Nerd Kai, Universe 2 has Brianne, Universe 10 is Gowasu who was an important character in the previous arc. I might cry if Universe 6 gets erased. Universe 11's Pride Troopers are honestly a bunch of characters that I would hope to see in a future arc, even if Jiren is kind of a weak character (for now, he hasn't revealed much). Toppo is pretty neat.

Universe 4 and that annoying yellow mouse will be funny to see go though. LOL

Toonami1998

Post by Toonami1998 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:39 am

Because its dbz/dbs. The animation at times was meh but other then that I have enjoyed every bit of it, even the fillers. The baseball filler episode was hilarious and then you have the gag character one that was funny to. They gave us Hit, a badass and then now we have 80+ characters in a huge tournament with insane powers and abilities plus Gokus new transformation in the process. You guys whining about super sound salty that it has been beating one piece over the head the past few weeks? Or maybe your just lame Naruto fans?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:46 am

My personal reasoning stems from an inkling to see the direction in which Toyotaro and the animation studio will steer things towards next. I'm not especially partial to the understandably heavy revolvement around the Saiyans and their woefully unending supply of transformations. What continues to inspire my engrossment is the people and circumstances touched by the Saiyans. I watch, for more than anything, the tantalising bits with other characters and how they will impact the path of the Saiyans. It also helps that the writers are at least trying to explore new avenues with notions like villain motivation and in-depth mythology, even if the execution is questionable at times. Plus, many people have already admitted to Freeza in this arc being at his most captivating in years due to the unorthodox circumstances he's found himself in by becoming an unwitting co-belligerent of Goku's party with ulterior motives of his own. Watching how he reacts to the changed world around him and the gods who now oversee laws of the universe provides for a new perspective of his characterisation as he's no longer the single most powerful entity co-existing in the same area. It's this aspect of taking him out of his element and how he will cope that makes someone like Freeza seem fresh, despite having been rehashed times before.
Last edited by Lionel on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:46 am

Being part of one of my favorite franchises, I keep watching Dragon Ball Super because I want to see where it'll get and I want to witness all the good content it brings to the lore and how it expands the franchise.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Simply because I enjoy it.

Though the storylines arent alwasys pulled off very well I do find them engaging.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:56 pm

I watch it because I love Dragon Ball, because it's written by Toriyama and because I'm always curious to see how the story continues.
I like the show even though it has its flaws. The new lore is fantastic, and I hope we will visit Planet Sadal sometime.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Amerigo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amerigo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:43 pm

I find Goku entertaining and joyful to watch.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:22 pm

I watch Dragon Ball Super simply because I enjoy it, warts and all. There's no real deep or complicated reason needed.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Same deal as a few others. I keep watching simply because I like it. Nothing else really beyond that.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Same. Boring answer, I know. But, I love Dragon Ball. They're giving me new Dragon Ball stuff. It's not a masterpiece, nor is it as good as the shows before it. It's inconsequential and entertaining. That's really all it needs to be for me.

Omori
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Omori » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Currently the only show I need to watch every week.
I like the way it's progressing right now and the whole built-up of the Universe Survival arc was great to see. Of course things could have been executed better, but the show is currently going into an interesting direction where we don't know how this tournament ends and who will eventually win.
Despite all the critics, bringing Frieza back was a good idea after all.
Generaly it's just great to watch.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:47 pm

While it does have a lot of bad things, it still also has A LOT of good things! And it's these that keep me going.

I just enjoy it.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Because I've invested too much time onto these characters for twenty years that it I wouldn't stop watching a cannon show where Toriyama is involved.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl