Why Do You Keep Watching Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Torturephile
Regular

Re: Why Do You Keep Watching Super?

Post by Torturephile » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:04 pm

Doesn't take too much time out of my Saturday afternoons. It gets exciting and interesting at times, so why not?
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:35 pm

Because I want to see the main chars progress, overcome new odds, want to learn new stuff about the multiverse, want to se GoDs and angels fight to the fullest of their abilities and want to get a good story after EoZ.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:44 pm

I just watch the streams as the episode airs with the hope that someday it becomes something consistently good. 100 episodes down, I don't that will happen. Haven't watched the sub version in like a month or two.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Because it's entertaining.
Because it's finally decent.
Because I held out hope it wouldn't stay shit forever and they would try and make it more like Z.

After the FT arc ended and my hype was shattered forever, I was pretty much ready to say fuck it and give up on Super. But the show was never offensively bad and it was always fun to see what Son Goku was up to next. All it took was 20 minutes every Saturday night and some illegal-yet-also-legal-in-lots-of-places substances and I could pretty much turn off my mind and somewhat enjoy whatever shit the show throws at me. Super has never been unwatchable. Even at it's lowest point, it's still Dragon Ball and it's still very much watchable.

But it's just disappointing seeing mistakes made every single week, and I heard quite a few people after the FT arc ended say that the upcoming Universe Survival Arc would be what makes or breaks Super and if this arc was just to be another repeat of the FT arc, the series might not last much longer. I wanted to give up after FT, but if this was the arc that would supposedly make it or break it, then I might as well watch it. After seeing the roster line-up for U7, the new opening for the first time, the new title music, the new eyecatches, the new filter, etc. it finally felt like the showrunners got the message that what they've been doing up until now has not been generating as much excitement as it should. It felt like they were trying to reboot the show with a more energetic vibe. People wanted Z, and Super was not giving them Z. Instead of trying to do their own thing which I honestly don't think was working, they're finally trying to appeal to Z fans and people who want to see more than just Goku & Vegeta.

This arc has changed my mind about how I currently view Super, and I'm excited to watch it every weekend. But the damage is done and I still view the rest of Super in a horrible light. I can't even get my friends in to Super. I've tried showing them this new arc, promising that it's more like Z. They watched an episode or two, and while they felt it was a lot better than anything of Super they've tried to watch previously, the damage was already done and they had no interest in it because they don't want to just start from an arc. They like watching everything in its entirety. And if the rest is shit, why bother watching all of it just to get to this point? It's sad, and I agreed with them.

Amerigo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amerigo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:28 pm

Asura wrote:Because it's entertaining.
Because it's finally decent.
Because I held out hope it wouldn't stay shit forever and they would try and make it more like Z.

After the FT arc ended and my hype was shattered forever, I was pretty much ready to say fuck it and give up on Super. But the show was never offensively bad and it was always fun to see what Son Goku was up to next. All it took was 20 minutes every Saturday night and some illegal-yet-also-legal-in-lots-of-places substances and I could pretty much turn off my mind and somewhat enjoy whatever shit the show throws at me. Super has never been unwatchable. Even at it's lowest point, it's still Dragon Ball and it's still very much watchable.

But it's just disappointing seeing mistakes made every single week, and I heard quite a few people after the FT arc ended say that the upcoming Universe Survival Arc would be what makes or breaks Super and if this arc was just to be another repeat of the FT arc, the series might not last much longer. I wanted to give up after FT, but if this was the arc that would supposedly make it or break it, then I might as well watch it. After seeing the roster line-up for U7, the new opening for the first time, the new title music, the new eyecatches, the new filter, etc. it finally felt like the showrunners got the message that what they've been doing up until now has not been generating as much excitement as it should. It felt like they were trying to reboot the show with a more energetic vibe. People wanted Z, and Super was not giving them Z. Instead of trying to do their own thing which I honestly don't think was working, they're finally trying to appeal to Z fans and people who want to see more than just Goku & Vegeta.

This arc has changed my mind about how I currently view Super, and I'm excited to watch it every weekend. But the damage is done and I still view the rest of Super in a horrible light. I can't even get my friends in to Super. I've tried showing them this new arc, promising that it's more like Z. They watched an episode or two, and while they felt it was a lot better than anything of Super they've tried to watch previously, the damage was already done and they had no interest in it because they don't want to just start from an arc. They like watching everything in its entirety. And if the rest is shit, why bother watching all of it just to get to this point? It's sad, and I agreed with them.
I agree with this. To me, everything before the FT Arc ended was garbage.

One thing I hated was how stupid they made Goku. In Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, Goku had foolish moments but he was never the butt of the joke, we were meant to laugh with him and not at him. But for the first 70 or so episodes, it felt like the writers were turning him into Naruto 2.0: the jester, the butt of the joke, etc. Lately that has not been the case, thankfully, and while Goku still makes foolish decisions, he is no longer the jester or butt of the joke.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I watch Dragon Ball Super simply because I enjoy it, warts and all. There's no real deep or complicated reason needed.
This really. It has it's flaws but it keeps me entertained and I enjoy watching it. Nothing more to it.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:21 pm

At this point, I watch it even though I expect it to be garbage, unless there are few scenes that I actually enjoy.

Very low expectations make the watching of the show more bearable.

There is also a lingering curiosity as to how the characters end up where they are now at the end of the 10 year gap.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:51 pm

Because it's a new Dragon Ball series and that's addicting.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Super got good with the Zamasu/Goku Black arc, and people complaining about the ending is serious hyperbole even if you didn't like the way it turned out.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:09 pm

precita wrote:Super got good with the Zamasu/Goku Black arc, and people complaining about the ending is serious hyperbole even if you didn't like the way it turned out.
Why? The entire last battle was just ridiculous. Why cant people point that out?
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38 pm

Because it has new Dragon Ball content for me to enjoy.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:28 am

Because, why not? Dragon Ball, was the first, or the second anime I watched as a kid, together with Digimon and Pokemon, and I kept watching Dbz and GT for many many years, without ever getting bored of it, while Super has it's flaws, it has a lot of good points, and that, that is what keeps me hooked into the show.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:17 am

Because I really enjoy it and look forward to the new episode each week. Nothing too complicated.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:54 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I watch Dragon Ball Super simply because I enjoy it, warts and all. There's no real deep or complicated reason needed.
This. I'd go on to say that I find the manga version significantly more satisfying, but I doubt we share that sentiment. Still, both versions have been a greatly rewarding experience.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:11 am

Duo wrote:
This. I'd go on to say that I find the manga version significantly more satisfying, but I doubt we share that sentiment. Still, both versions have been a greatly rewarding experience.
I enjoy the manga a lot too. I'm not as personally invested in it as I am with the anime, but it's still one hell of great read. I've re-read Volume 1 some many times and it never gets old. Conversely, I've been re-watching the anime through the English dub and the BOG and ROF retellings hold up surprisingly well. I still prefer the movies, but the retelling are more than satisfactory substitutes. I find that both mediums complement each-other really well in strengthening their positives and hiding their negatives.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:26 pm

It keeps things interesting, it always brings something new to the table, and it's nearly always executed amazingly. The characters are fresh and they have a wonderful (and colorful!) variety in design. I've enjoyed the show since I started watching it and, for some reason, I've almost never felt let down by it.

I think it's just too enjoyable for me to pay much attention to (in)consistency, which is really odd coming from someone like me, who's rather obsessive about, well, everything.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Because it is Dragon Ball, it is a official part of the DB franchise and considered some what canon. Plus Vegito can appear as many times as he wants :P

I think the FT arc was a nice addition to the DB franchise, nothing great, especially if you compare it to Shonen arcs nowadays, but let's say that this arc had its value to the DB franchise.

The current arc was good, very good I'd say(much better than the FT arc) for Super standards. The start and recruitments were great. The beginning of the tournament so far was decent so far, but moments like what happened in the latest episode is what ruins this series, and is only something that can happen in DB Super because of some of the terrible writers working on this show. It's hard to discuss about theories, predictions and stuff and to take it seriously with stuff like this happening.

TheCharmCityKid

Post by TheCharmCityKid » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:01 am

I actually enjoy it more than DBZ. I love the pacing I never cared to see fights last 10 episodes DBZ would bore me at times as much as I loved DBZ. It's been some bad artwork but it's drastically improved. I love the fighting scenes better than DBZ I feel like I see more technique and more martial arts. I love that so many characters besides Goku are relevant to the story and fights. I enjoy the humor and gags as I was a big fan of the original Dragonball. I enjoy the new Saiyans and their overpowered transformations. But mostly overall I'm a big Dragonball fan watched every episode of Dragonball, DBZ, GT, Kai multiple times and has seen every DB, DBZ and DBGT movie from Curse of the Blood Rubies to a Hero's legacy multiple times as well as read the mangas I'm not quitting on Super it had a slow start but has really picked up it's game and I really enjoy it now.

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:40 am

To see how bad it can get with a small sliver of hope that it stops being a absolute trash.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:26 am

The show is very mediocre and bad but i simply watch it because its Dragonball and i love Dragonball. I also like the dub so that gives me some nostalgia hearing the voices.

Shoo essentially I'm watching the show twice.....only for DB can i watch a bad show twice lol!!