Kale or Broly - the worse motivation

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Kale or Broly - the worse motivation

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:33 am

Or best, depending on you perspective, I guess

But yeah, which character has the more retarded motivation for hulking out and trying to kill Goku?

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Kale or Broly - the worse motivation

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:52 am

Broly went insane due to a combination of huge power he couldn't control, being stabbed as a child, having his planet blown up and roaming around in space, being mindcontrolled his entire life by his own father and, yes, Goku's crying upsetting him during the few moments of peace he had. Goku is the trigger that makes those memories all come back to him and lets the insanity overpower him.

Kale is an obsessive and needy girl that hulked out because her senpai was having fun with someone else. I didn't think they"d outdo Broly but bravo. Perhaps she has believable reasons to be so obsessed with Caulifla but we wouldn't know because this character has literally no backstory at all.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:42 am

Kale's seems lame, but Broly's was worse. Remember, he heard Goku cry when they were babies!!!
Heno heno kappa!

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:59 am

They are both sooo bad.

The Goku crying thing was dumb but Broly definitely had more shit happen to him that Id believe screwed his head up. Kale was just a sniveling little b****.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:04 am

Broly was fun, kale is not..
Kales motivation is her senpai taking to someone else and broly's motivation was a combination of his mental instability and remembering goku in his unstable head, causing him to logic lessly attack him..
Broly wins the best between these two..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:40 am

I don't like any one of them. When they start with their ''Kakarot!!'' and ''Son Goku!!'' I wanna vomit.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:08 am

Kale seems to be obsessed with Caulifla so her "enjoying herself" with anyone else seems a valid reason, a bad one but still valid.

Broly heard goku cry for a few moments when he was a few days old, 30 years ago, and focuses his anger on Goku not vegeta whose father tries to kill him and his father, wtf?
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:41 am

Doctor. wrote:Broly went insane due to a combination of huge power he couldn't control, being stabbed as a child, having his planet blown up and roaming around in space, being mindcontrolled his entire life by his own father and, yes, Goku's crying upsetting him during the few moments of peace he had. Goku is the trigger that makes those memories all come back to him and lets the insanity overpower him.

Kale is an obsessive and needy girl that hulked out because her senpai was having fun with someone else. I didn't think they"d outdo Broly but bravo. Perhaps she has believable reasons to be so obsessed with Caulifla but we wouldn't know because this character has literally no backstory at all.
This is the nail on the head here. If they said Kale had an abusive relationship as a street orphan, which Caulifa being the only one to take her in and protect I would understand. Personally I wouldn't mind if they went a little dark and implied rape or something extremely traumatic to cause this.

Super isn't even brave enough to clearly state a non-hetero relationship between her and Caulifa if it even exists.
apex_pretador wrote:Kale seems to be obsessed with Caulifla so her "enjoying herself" with anyone else seems a valid reason, a bad one but still valid.

Broly heard goku cry for a few moments when he was a few days old, 30 years ago, and focuses his anger on Goku not vegeta whose father tries to kill him and his father, wtf?
You either can't be serious or never watched movie 8. Broly wasn't completely insane yet, he didn't even seem to be thinking about Goku at all as a child. He was just plan sadistic. The only thing Goku did in movie 8 was serve as a trigger to have Broly break out of his father's mind control, after that he still wanted to kill everyone but he was more interested in general destruction beyond Goku as Broly himself says.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 am

TheMikado wrote:
You either can't be serious or never watched movie 8. Broly wasn't completely insane yet, he didn't even seem to be thinking about Goku at all as a child. He was just plan sadistic. The only thing Goku did in movie 8 was serve as a trigger to have Broly break out of his father's mind control, after that he still wanted to kill everyone but he was more interested in general destruction beyond Goku as Broly himself says.
Well, until Movie 2. Then, it was all about Goku. ^.^
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

aravinthan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aravinthan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:56 am

Kale, she had a valid and reasonable cause for hulking out and hit others. She is totally shy and introvert and I think Caulifa is the only person who she can talk with.
Broly, his mentality, ptsd (kind of), his races last hope, a stupid king, blah blah blah everything was ok. Broly still remembers the fact that Goku cried when he was days older after coming out of incubator. Thats where I don't like Broly. If he had that taruma and stuff when he is mature, it will be better than Kales reason

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:25 am

aravinthan wrote:Kale, she had a valid and reasonable cause for hulking out and hit others. She is totally shy and introvert and I think Caulifa is the only person who she can talk with.
Broly, his mentality, ptsd (kind of), his races last hope, a stupid king, blah blah blah everything was ok. Broly still remembers the fact that Goku cried when he was days older after coming out of incubator. Thats where I don't like Broly. If he had that taruma and stuff when he is mature, it will be better than Kales reason
So if your friend talks to another friend without you, you question your self worth and rage out?

Childhood trauma is much more likely to screw a person up actually so I dont know what else to say about that. Of course we dont know why Kale is how sahe is though.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:40 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
aravinthan wrote:Kale, she had a valid and reasonable cause for hulking out and hit others. She is totally shy and introvert and I think Caulifa is the only person who she can talk with.
So if your friend talks to another friend without you, you question your self worth and rage out?

Childhood trauma is much more likely to screw a person up actually so I dont know what else to say about that. Of course we dont know why Kale is how sahe is though.
Already mentioned this in a different thread but she has all the symptoms associated with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPS). There's numerous things that can cause it, but most of 'em being too mature-themed for Super.
Feels over Reals.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:46 am

Well, Kale clearly has a severe inferiority complex, easily crippled by insults like Magetta; though she seems to have developed a dislike of people in general. She's extremely close to Caulifla, with their interactions and the value she places on Caulifla's word is very telling. It makes perfect sense that she becomes so fearful when anybody comes close to Caulifla, since to someone with such a low opinion of themselves will easily see anybody getting along with their loved one as someone who'll make said loved one realise how worthless they are.

In this instance, not only did Goku take a shot at her only trace of self-worth by telling her to stop 'bothering' him and Caulifla (With Caulifla saying nothing in Kale's defence), what happens when Kale asks Caulifla (Who so far has given us the impression of being so close to Kale that Kale calls her 'Sis) if she really is a burden? Caulifla brushes her off with a look that says it all. All at once, Kale's inferiority complex is yelling that her greatest fears have come true, all because of Goku's involvement. If only she had accessed that form Caulifla wanted her to use earlier.

But then after Jiren punches the Super Saiyan out of her, Caulifla is instantly there to reassure Kale and calm her fears.

Pretty solid motivation.

I don't think either motivation is bad, just that Broly's is incredibly awkward. Like, out of all the things in his past to trigger him, it's the one aspect of his backstory that has nothing to do with his trauma.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:47 am

They're both absolutely horrible.

But if I had to choose, I think Broly has the worse motivation. Broly's motivation stems from the fact that Goku was crying as a baby, wow. Kale's motivation isn't directed solely at Goku, but towards anyone who threatens to "take away" Caulifla. She's at least a little bit more interesting and logical in that regard than Broly. They're still both shit though.

I agree with TheMikado who said that they should have shown us a bit of backstory between the two like the obvious orphan cliche which would have worked and added a lot more to Kale's character but they didn't. I have a feeling we'll get some backstory on them next episode though as Caulifla seems to be sacrificing herself or protecting Kale in some way. Although I disagree that they would have to imply something like rape in her background especially given this is a kid's show. And there is no non-hetero relationship between them. They shouldn't have to clearly state or clarify something that's made up in a bunch of deviant's heads.

Even without a backstory though she far surpasses Broly. People acting like Broly has this interesting and deep backstory now because they hate Kale makes me laugh. They're both shit.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Brolli's motivation of "Kakarrotto's crying when we were babies drove me to madness!" is way more far-fetched than Kale's, but if you can roll with it, it can be fun in a don't-think-too-hard-about-it way. I don't think he was deserving of 3 movies, but the initial movie 8 was fine. It's popcorn movie silly.

There is no fun in Kale's motivation; my gut feeling is she's got a tragic backstory we don't know about yet that resulted in her being the way she is now. Something traumatic happened, Caulifla saved her, but even though Caulifla is encouraging Kale to stand up for herself and believe in herself, Kale probably needs professional counseling in a way that Caulifla alone won't enough to help her through it. Kale's kind of dependent on Caulifla, and it seems like Kale wants it to stay that way while Caulifla wants to see Kale stand on her own to feet so they can fight side by side instead of Caulifla having to be the white knight of the two.

Neither motivation seems particularly Toriyama-esque.
Last edited by Chuquita on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Broly, for remembering Goku's crying when they were both babies.

Kale is just a girl with some kind of mental problem, also she is from an advanced saiyan race, i think it is more reasonable [yet shitty as the writers should have made her having this power long before the ToP, but i'm ok with it]

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Chuquita wrote:Neither motivation seems particularly Toriyama-esque.
What do you mean by that?
    As for the topic both of them are terrible and I don't care for Kale or Broly.

Chuquita
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Spider-Man wrote:
    Chuquita wrote:Neither motivation seems particularly Toriyama-esque.
    What do you mean by that?
      As for the topic both of them are terrible and I don't care for Kale or Broly.
      Neither one is that straightforward or gag-y.

Brolli's motivation feels like what could've been a Toriyama-style joke motive of "Kakarrotto cried when we were babies and it drove me to madness!" only played straight. If played for comedy it would've been right out of Dr. Slump, but instead it's written in a dark and serious way despite that one absurd element of the baby crying stuff.

Toriyama's not big on romance/relationship stuff, but Kale's motivation so far feels right up that alley. I can't say one way or the other because I don't know in what way Kale views Caulifla, but if Caulifla sees Kale as her protege and it kind of mirrors how Piccolo saw Gohan as his student. Gohan never once flipped out because Piccolo was talking to someone else. I hesitate to call Kale yandere, but she doesn't feel like a Toriyama character to me. Caulifla does though.
      My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
      ---
      フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Doctor.
      Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Kanassa wrote:Well, Kale clearly has a severe inferiority complex, easily crippled by insults like Magetta; though she seems to have developed a dislike of people in general. She's extremely close to Caulifla, with their interactions and the value she places on Caulifla's word is very telling. It makes perfect sense that she becomes so fearful when anybody comes close to Caulifla, since to someone with such a low opinion of themselves will easily see anybody getting along with their loved one as someone who'll make said loved one realise how worthless they are.

In this instance, not only did Goku take a shot at her only trace of self-worth by telling her to stop 'bothering' him and Caulifla (With Caulifla saying nothing in Kale's defence), what happens when Kale asks Caulifla (Who so far has given us the impression of being so close to Kale that Kale calls her 'Sis) if she really is a burden? Caulifla brushes her off with a look that says it all. All at once, Kale's inferiority complex is yelling that her greatest fears have come true, all because of Goku's involvement. If only she had accessed that form Caulifla wanted her to use earlier.

But then after Jiren punches the Super Saiyan out of her, Caulifla is instantly there to reassure Kale and calm her fears.

Pretty solid motivation.

I don't think either motivation is bad, just that Broly's is incredibly awkward. Like, out of all the things in his past to trigger him, it's the one aspect of his backstory that has nothing to do with his trauma.
      People tend to forget that Kale already transformed once, because she was angry at Cabba. This kind of reasoning is flimsy at best.

GodKaio-Ken
      I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:55 pm

RedHeat wrote:
      GodKaio-Ken wrote:

Already mentioned this in a different thread but she has all the symptoms associated with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPS). There's numerous things that can cause it, but most of 'em being too mature-themed for Super.
      My ex had that and I dont really see it in Kale but I'm no expert. I see more of an abused spouse type thing where the person retreats into a shell.

Agreed its too adult though.